Ask Your Moderators

Wife of Bath

Personals Mod. Again
Hello Playgrounders,

I’ve been fielding some questions lately about thread closures/ image removal and the forum rules. Please feel free to use this thread to ask questions about the forum (Personals and PG) moderation.

I don’t guarantee all questions will be answered but will answer what I can.

Cheers,

WoB

Hello Playgrounders,

I’ve been fielding some questions lately about thread closures/ image removal and the forum rules. Please feel free to use this thread to ask questions about the forum (Personals and PG) moderation.

I don’t guarantee all questions will be answered but will answer what I can.

Cheers,

WoB

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to moderate the PG!

:rose:

Why let people flood the board with multiple identical threads instead of merging them into one?

I just want to say thank you for taking the time to moderate the PG!

:rose:

:rose: you are welcome.

Why let people flood the board with multiple identical threads instead of merging them into one?

I don’t have a great answer for this other than it’s not really in our ‘mandate’. We really have limited scope and the goal is to maintain order and ensure the forum rules are followed. Merging threads is not part of that responsibility and multiple threads on the same topic are not against the rules. If one user is intentionally being disruptive and creating a bunch of redundant threads, that’s a separate issue.

I'd call at least 9 nearly identical threads in about 12 hours an issue.

Is this occurring in the PG/Personals? I’m not seeing what you’re referring to, but I’d be happy to look if you point me in the direction of a user or PM me links. Thanks.

What are the qualifications needed to become a moderator? Is there a background check?

As far as I know, the qualifications are limited to Laurel’s approval. Posting history is considered, from what I recall. There’s a post about it somewhere but I haven’t been able to find it.

I've raised the issue a couple of times to help clean up the GB.

Well, I can’t speak to that and as I’m sure you know the GB is an unmoderated forum. One of its many charms.

Please let me know if you have other questions for me about the PG or Personals moderation.

thread to far down

Trying to find a thread too far down the Playground list called Erotic Fantascenes. Is there a way to 'find it' when it is beyond the listed ones

An issue to who?

I'd call at least 9 nearly identical threads in about 12 hours an issue.

I see lots of posts that I think are goofy or redundant. But I don't see a need for moderators to spend time thinking about a subjective issue like that. If other users are not interested in a bunch of redundant treads then the tread dies a natural death by being ignored. The same principle applies to life in general. We all go through life seeing things with which we personally disagree. Some people respond to such things by saying : "There ought to be a law..." about this that or the other thing.

For example, someone may be upset because they hear about people slipping on ice and bumping their head. So they might think that "there ought to be a law that folks can't go outside with out wearing a helmet." Every year there are thousands of new laws and regulations that become suffocating. The former mayor of NCY wanted a law about what size soft drinks people could have. Such laws deprive people of their free will.

That is not to say that there should be no laws. But with all things subjective laws and rules and regulations cause more harm than good. Relax and let nature take it's course. That is what Darwin awards are all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are pictures allowed in Personal ads? I don't see them often, if at all. Maybe I'm just missing them. I would have thought that someone posting an ad ("beefy Tarzan looking for his Jane" or "bored Jane looking for more than Tarzan") might post a picture of him/herself to encourage responses.

Thanks!

I see lots of posts that I think are goofy or redundant. But I don't see a need for moderators to spend time thinking about a subjective issue like that. If other users are not interested in a bunch of redundant treads then the tread dies a natural death by being ignored. The same principle applies to life in general. We all go through life seeing things with which we personally disagree. Some people respond to such things by saying : "There ought to be a law..." about this that or the other thing.

For example, someone may be upset because they hear about people slipping on ice and bumping their head. So they might think that "there ought to be a law that folks can't go outside with out wearing a helmet." Every year there are thousands of new laws and regulations that become suffocating. The former mayor of NCY wanted a law about what size soft drinks people could have. Such laws deprive people of their free will.

That is not to say that there should be no laws. But with all things subjective laws and rules and regulations cause more harm than good. Relax and let nature take it's course. That is what Darwin awards are all about.

Yes, this is all true.

Are pictures allowed in Personal ads? I don't see them often, if at all. Maybe I'm just missing them. I would have thought that someone posting an ad ("beefy Tarzan looking for his Jane" or "bored Jane looking for more than Tarzan") might post a picture of him/herself to encourage responses.

Thanks!

Yes, of course photos are allowed in personals ads.

Greetings.

My question isn't quite about image removal, per se, I believe, but since I see no other more suitable place to ask it, so in here it goes.

I have been in a somewhat posting hiatus. I tend to a more personal thread, of sorts, in The Playground, where some random wordings, musings and imagery tend to occupy some space. Since the forum does not offer any image resizing options, I resort to an external image hosting site, which allows me to employ the resizing and image linking, as well as conforming to the request of not overloading server capacity, by utilising attachments. However, as I was going to do a bit of updating/posting over the thread, I have come to discover that this feature seems to be broken and the site in question (ImgBB[.]com) seems to be blacklisted, as all the images I have shared thus far and the ones I am trying to include, are hidden behind asterisks and unclickable links. The last time I have done so (last September), all the images were showing accordingly.

This being said, I was wondering - is the image hosting site blacklisting going to ever be lifted? Should I be looking into another image hosting service? Personally speaking, it is somewhat disruptive, over the purpose of the thread. My organisational skills are not coping well with this, as well, if I may be ever so frank. Oddly enough, the images present in my signature (also hosted at ImgBB) are displaying perfectly.

Well, that was quite all I meant to ask. Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Greetings.

My question isn't quite about image removal, per se, I believe, but since I see no other more suitable place to ask it, so in here it goes.

I have been in a somewhat posting hiatus. I tend to a more personal thread, of sorts, in The Playground, where some random wordings, musings and imagery tend to occupy some space. Since the forum does not offer any image resizing options, I resort to an external image hosting site, which allows me to employ the resizing and image linking, as well as conforming to the request of not overloading server capacity, by utilising attachments. However, as I was going to do a bit of updating/posting over the thread, I have come to discover that this feature seems to be broken and the site in question (ImgBB[.]com) seems to be blacklisted, as all the images I have shared thus far and the ones I am trying to include, are hidden behind asterisks and unclickable links. The last time I have done so (last September), all the images were showing accordingly.

This being said, I was wondering - is the image hosting site blacklisting going to ever be lifted? Should I be looking into another image hosting service? Personally speaking, it is somewhat disruptive, over the purpose of the thread. My organisational skills are not coping well with this, as well, if I may be ever so frank. Oddly enough, the images present in my signature (also hosted at ImgBB) are displaying perfectly.

Well, that was quite all I meant to ask. Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for, but I have used this image resizing site:

https://resizeimage.net/

Have a look and see if it fits your needs.

Back