Lily's awakening by Coming4you

Nope. I said serious. Vonnegut clearly wasn't serious. . . .

You made a minor attempt to be respectful & to discuss the issue, but you went to the irrelevant and ad hominem just like SR. For every issue you always resort to adding in special circumstances to qualify away the argument I am making. It is childish for you to say Vonnegut & Hemingway are ignorable because they didn't always follow their own advice. OK, they got caught by you - send them to the English Language Police.

I disagree, and my readers would appear to disagree, and others in this thread who make a fair bit of money through selling their fiction have also stated their disagreement, and it looks like every major fiction author disagrees with you.

We live in a world where 50ShadesOfGrey & The Twlight novels are best sellers. I am not about to start recommending we all write teen erotica and that all vampires should sparkle. Don't disguise the issue with claims of who has more authority, I am talking basic readability.

Anyway, I think we've exhausted the possibilities here and you're getting distinctly tiresome, so I'm going to take advantage of the ignore button. Bye!

That's disappointing Bramble. To have come so far together then you give up when you are directly challenged about what you are trying to say. You can play the "I'm better than you card" all day, but when talking about confusing gimmicks I am correct when I say don't do it.

Note to myindeeds (or should I call you Stephen?) - please don't read anything of mine. I use semi colons. There, I said it. I know it's a half assed thing to do, but I just can't help myself. I saw one in a book one day and thought, gee, that's a handy little thing to have; when I can't quite come to a full stop, but a short pause isn't quite enough.

I also use an exclamation mark on very rare occasions, but I have set myself a strict limit on them, because I never know when another self appointed arbiter and language expert will come along and attack me for it. Whip me now, someone, for I know I must be wrong for using the English language and all its oddities and quirks the way I do. The way every writer does. Their way.

Coming4you, I hope you can see that it is perfectly OK to use punctuation as you choose. Just do so properly, consistently. Writing is writing, opinions are opinions. Oh, and bullshit is always bullshit.

Also, without a semi colon, you can't do this: ;)

...fucking emoticons, spoilt a perfectly good punch line.

Thank you

I had no intention of starting a debate. To be honest, I wasn't aware I would be attacked by a bunch of literary critiques. I was just looking for feedback on the actual ''story'' and not the use of quotation marks or double quotes. But nonetheless, I thank you for taking the time of providing your feedback!

With that being said, how do I go about making the suggested corrections on my stories? I can't find a way to edit them. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I was just looking for feedback on the actual ''story'' and not the use of quotation marks or double quotes.

Welcome to the forums.

If you want feedback on specific areas, you should mention it beforehand. Grammar is the one thing that most people can get behind and bitch about, so I think it should be expected.

You can find a few more people hanging around in this forum offering help. If you're looking for more feedback, head over to their threads (NaokoSmith, Lien_Geller, Sammael Bard).

Good luck.

I had no intention of starting a debate. To be honest, I wasn't aware I would be attacked by a bunch of literary critiques. I was just looking for feedback on the actual ''story'' and not the use of quotation marks or double quotes. But nonetheless, I thank you for taking the time of providing your feedback!

With that being said, how do I go about making the suggested corrections on my stories? I can't find a way to edit them. Thanks for the help.

A sure rule of the internet is that a thread will get hijacked, or at least diverted.

Also, as Devilius said, if you want a certain kind of feedback, you need to specify that. That doesn't mean you won't get other kinds, but many will try to stick to the specific request.

You can't edit your story on the site. You would need to make your edits in the file(s) on your computer, then resubmit it on the submission page, putting "EDIT" after the title in the title field. It also helps to put something in the "Notes" field that you are submitting a story for edit. The edits will show up but it may take a few days. Contest entries take priority over non-contest stories, and new stories are processed before edits.

To edit you have to take the new version of your story and submit it again with the same title, but the word "Edit" after it. I also put the word "Edit" in the notes field.

Now I am not a grammar nazi or any type of expert, real or alleged. I can get trhough a story that has some grammar issues and some typos as long as the story is good.

But the lack of quotation marks is an issue because it left me stopping to wonder who is talking and any time you get a reader confused there a chance they quit the story. In the exchanges it was a little confusing, but then you have paragraphs where I'm not sure if its narrative or someone is speaking because of no quotation marks

So you do need to fix that.

For the story it was organized, it had a start and a direction to move in, I could tell you had a grasp of what you wanted to do meaning you did not seem lost or drifting and there is room for more.

I think you have potential to do well here and the best way to get better is to keep writing. But do check out the how to forum, there's a few good essays on dialogue there that can help you

Thank you!

A sure rule of the internet is that a thread will get hijacked, or at least diverted.

Also, as Devilius said, if you want a certain kind of feedback, you need to specify that. That doesn't mean you won't get other kinds, but many will try to stick to the specific request.

You can't edit your story on the site. You would need to make your edits in the file(s) on your computer, then resubmit it on the submission page, putting "EDIT" after the title in the title field. It also helps to put something in the "Notes" field that you are submitting a story for edit. The edits will show up but it may take a few days. Contest entries take priority over non-contest stories, and new stories are processed before edits.

I appreciate your help PennLady!

Back