The Assassin's unexpected Prize (closed)

We can explore along the border. No one goes beyond the last ring.

She nodded to Carvagio who in turn began the sequence to release from dock and steady the course to the final ring of derelict stations.

We can explore along the border. No one goes beyond the last ring. Jack frowned as he brought up his screens, rattling off the list of Systems Green, as they prepared for launch. He mulled over her statement for a bit as they launched “Why does no one go beyond the last ring? Obviously its no the end of the universe, “ they launched after the engines charged and the Ai plotted the Jump points, Finally as the engines fell into the droning hum he turned, stifling a yawn he smiled “anything more interesting then hiding on the fringe?”

The occasional ion storms and random "lost tourist" treating the outer fringe like some sort of history lesson museum or zoo.

Some society punk thinking he could handle who and what we are because of some blood gift he got that was different from his family.

The occasional ion storms and random "lost tourist" treating the outer fringe like some sort of history lesson museum or zoo. that made Jack chuckle, “I can see that, even a hundred years later and people still haven’t mastered not being a complete dumbass, interesting concept, you guys have piracy out here?” the question came across as seemingly random, but Jack was curious, the “lost tourist” comment had gotten him thinking, while he wasn’t really thinking anything bad, “ever considered it? take what other people have? We had them back on Earth, rogues who lived on the edges of civilization, stealing and looting ships and goods to sell on a black market, making their own life on the seas no rules but their own, Pirates had their own code of ethics, was an interesting time in human history” he asked as he looked to her Some society punk thinking he could handle who and what we are because of some blood gift he got that was different from his family. “now see” jack said “Now that ive been curious about you’ve mentioned blood gifts before, and most if not all species are “mixed bloods” what exactly Are blood gifts?” he looked to her, his lip quirked up in a grin

“I know you’ve said there is no place for people like us, what if we make a place? Fighting pits, while sounding interesting enough, well, there’s bound to be some hapless moron who could stand to have his holds lightened up a bit“ he just grinned

Even among our kinds there is some honor.

She snarled. Her form shifting as it had when she was with her family.

Blood gifts...

Even among our kinds there is some honor. he bit the inside of his mouth as she snarled at him, and he looked away swallowing, ooookkkkkk so that was stupid, having watched her form alter slightly he shivered, making a mental note about piracy being a touchy subject “ummm yea, ok, was just a thought, How about rendering Aid? Kind of a Search and rescue deal?” shifting topics “with your tracking abilities and the ship, it should be a cake walk for deep space rescue, since im unsure just how the ship I was on met its fate and landed me here, “ licking his lips jack was unsure were to go with the conversation, they were similar in the fact they were both drifters, scrounging around to just make it buy, and while the ship wasn’t top of the line it was livable and moderately well maintained. There had to be something out here that they could find a Niche in, make more of a living then scrounging and salvaging derelict vessels. “what would happen if you ever tried returning to a Civilized system? “ he asked quietly “I know you said you could drop me off and that would be the end of it, and honestly in some aspect’s I almost prefer this life, what you have given me here and now then returning to some high ball rules govern everything existence, I was never one for following anyones rules but my own, “ he paused briefly, contemplative “I don’t know if I ever said it, or said it and meant it…..” he looked to her “but thank you, for rescuing me, not killing me?” he chuckled softly “just…….thank you” he smiled warmly

That could be a possibility.

She shrugged

You and Carvagio figure out what we would need for that.

That could be a possibility. Jack didnt miss the fact she'd ignored his words of thanks, and he shook his head, pushing back from his console he looked at her, a question on his lips, this wasnt the first time she'd outright ignored any kind words, and while he could understand why, language barriers and all that he sensed that there might be more to it then that, that she shyed away from any praise or kindness You and Carvagio figure out what we would need for that. he just sighed as nodded "of course, you hungry? think im going to grab something" he said as he made his way off the bridge, stopping to look back at her

Hey Car... Delta 7. We'll be in the dining hall.

Standing she shrugged a little and walked out of the bridge with him. Silent for a long while.

This gratitude stuff was big in your time wasn't it? Now it's merely we do what we do and that's it.

Jack watched as Taylanna rose and joined him, and they walked in silence through the quiet decks, making their way to the mess hall, his thoughts broken as she spoke This gratitude stuff was big in your time wasn't it? he looked to her, oook, so she had noticed, licking his lips briefly “I wouldn’t say it was big stuff, but yes, we expressed terms of gratitude, and thanks for things and for actions of other people, and honestly, like I said, I do feel like I owe you a debt, you did save my life, no matter how its looked at, and well…….in the months since ive been awake ive had one surprise after another after another, I could definitely have come into a worse fate then being where we are now.” They walked into the dining hall and looked around “and well, ive come to like you, you have your rough edges” he chuckled “but despite my own faults, you’ve done what you could to help me and make me feel welcome, so yes, I do feel the need to say thank you a lot, because in my eyes thank you could never be enough, and well, it doesn’t hurt that I find you beautiful, and im lucky you found me and not your brother or father or any number of person” he looked to her as he sorted through the rations

She shrugged.

Now it's just people do what they do and I have to admit you are not too plain to look at being a single blood with no abilities.

She laughed he was starting to grow on her as they say and she was for once liking having someone around.

Now it's just people do what they do and I have to admit you are not too plain to look at being a single blood with no abilities. that made jack laugh, shaking his head “there was a compliment in there somewhere, see, I knew you had it in you!” he joked, still laughing, watching the smile then her own laughter and he was dumbstruck by how much it changed her face, made her seem…………human, and god was her smile beautiful, they grabbed their food and sat, Jack mulling over his options and thoughts “so, in all, we launched 4 ships, the day we left to find new worlds, 2 of them, the one I was on, and the sister ship, were sent off in this general direction, while the courses varied it may be possible the other ship is in the “ he hesitated, mulling his thoughts “I guess? Galaxy? Sector? I don’t know, could be more salvage, or perhaps try and find the rest of what may have become of my ship, I know most of its antiquated at this point, but the older tech could be valuable?”

Carvagio guesstimate on last known coordinates of Earth where was project in dining for Jack to figure out if he can estimate which direction the ships we're headed.

Carvagio pulled up a holographic globe map with some of the human known space at the time around it.

Jack looked up as the holo display picked up, his eyes scanning the map “Im still kind learning maps..” he said, “lets see here……..” he looked at things “Over lay the location of where I was found” he stated, watching as the AI did as asked, a small blue circle highlighting a sector location “now, we know that that might not even have been the location of the ship, at least, that is where I ended up after the pods were? Salvaged? Stolen? Maybe, as part of my ship had obviously been used as part of that particular station or habitat.” He looked at his console and scrolled through menu’s “according to your ships records, earth should be about………..” a red circle blipped up on the far end of the map “there.” He sighed “not taking into account possible drift or being knocked off course, 100 years of travel this is only speculation, “ jack shut down the display and sighed “well, that was worth a look I suppose, maybe we will get lucky, “ he stood, “if you don’t mind I think I will retire to my quarters, I think I need some rest” with a sigh he stood up, nodding to Taylanna and giving her a quick half smile he made his way to his bunk, sighing as he leaned against the door,

A brow raised but she returned the smile somewhat still puzzled by him. Carvagio studied what he had been looking at.

I do believe that he is still coming to terms with events surrounding earth and the date of his ship. It will take time.

She shrugged.

Car time is all we have.

Jack sat there, leaning against the bulkhead for a bit, trying to fight off the wave of nostalgia that had suddenly hit him, and he both mourned the loss, and struggled to overcome it. He knew losing his shit wouldn’t do him any good, he’d always been practical like that. And it had been just over a month now since he’d been awakened, he should be able to accept the reality of his situation, and it only caused him to grow angry at himself. It should be easier then this shouldn’t it? just move on. Sighing he scrubbed his face and stripped off his clothes. He need a shower. Laying his blasters and his holo unit/watch on his side table after an hour he stepped back into his room toweling off, he called up some softer music he’d found in the databanks and sat down, his holounit activating as it linked to the ships computer and began again studying the maps with Ernest

Carvagio...

She finally spoke.

Original supportive programming. Help him like you would spooked luxury liner passengers or battle crazed soldiers. You are the one best suited to aid him.

She let out an almost defeated chuckle.

Best I could do is teach him to kill or find him one of those blood spooks to help him become a multiblood.

Counselor program reactivated. Thank you but you perhaps can do more in time Captain. And as you said all we have is time.

Days passing to weeks as she followed various routes finding the odd salvage and fight station from time to time as well as a few bounties from fight and gambling stations. The presence of anyone else on her ship finally becoming second nature to her.

Days passed, then weeks, then months, and Jack's mood, at least on the outside seemed to remain neutral, But any station they raided/salvaged from he'd gone off on his own or with the AI in tow, searching for things and refused to talk about what the tech, wiring, and odds and ends he'd located were for. When not needed for ship maintenance or navigation he'd returned to his room, or the workshop, tinkering with his own gadgets and projects and the old implant he'd once had, the bounties they'd picked up or located, Jack seemed to attack with a narrow mindedness and viciousness he'd hadn't displayed before, Renewed in his joy of the challenge. He had again returned to the training rooms over the last month, taking it slow at first loosening his muscles once more as his wounds vanished, working on mastering new weapons, and skills, then he'd ramped things up, outright threatening the AI when it tried to warn or stop him, and he continued to succeed coming away with barely more then bruises now, even as he continued to push and up the difficulty level, his skills had taken a massive jump as he practiced and mastered various arts and techniques, his body was awake, the adrenaline, muscle tone, reflex, all of it, and it gave him a new focus, hell he'd even gotten more flexible as he increased up his cardio work.

While he'd come to respect the AI he'd snarled at the damn thing any time it even remotely tried to get him to talk, or seemed to probe for information or ask seemingly innocuous questions. But Jack was smart enough to realize what it was trying to do, and he did appreciate it, but talking had never been one of his strong suits, and honestly his thoughts where still too chaotic that he used the pain and anger, and the intensive training to not just get better, but exhaust himself every night so he could sleep.

Jack had tossed his shirt away sometime ago as he danced and twirled, and dodged, lashing out with the pair of honed, lethal curved daggers he'd made, twirling them on his fingers as opponents came at him from all directions, Caravagio hovering near the entrance, just watching, the concerned look on his face, but Jack just ignored him, let the AI study and watch him, he took hits, but they barely seemed to phase him as he returned with kicks, punches and hard shots of his own, he'd been fighting nearly non stop now for 3 hours, covered in sweat, his bloody lip curled into a grin he slashed then parried and delivered one vicious swipe across the creatures jugular then nearly took its head off, Panting hard jack laughed as it fell, the floor littered with holographic bodies as the Sim finally ended, looking down at his arms to the cuts and bruises he'd sustained, then stretched, sighing as he sheathed the blades on his thighs "here to talk again Cara? im surprised you haven't given up yet" he said as he picked up his discarded shirt and wiped sweat and blood from his chest and face You're being reckless Jack looked around at the scattered bodies "Am i? im still standing, they're not" Jack sighed

"Look, I may very well be the last human, and i accept that possibility, doesn't mean i have to accept it, or stop looking, with just the distances we've already covered, there may be a day we do run across another ship or transport, but until then, i keep moving forward" he sighed and wiped a trickle of blood from his forehead "damn, thought it was just a scratch" he muttered

He isn't going to stop. It is now part of her s active programming as it was when this was a warship mixed with luxury liner counselor. My orders so your best bet is to start talking. He would be better as he has programming to understand and analyse warrior and those that are confused lost or avoiding things.

She stood there arms crossed.

No more fight pits till you talk. Captains orders.

Standing there, Covered in sweat, breathing hard, he half turned, hearing Taylanna’s voice and he glared at her, My orders, so you best bet is to start talking. Jack’s hand twitched fingers curled around his blades handle, He’d NEVER taken orders like that well and he fought to keep from whipping the dagger at her head, not that his outstanding hatred of authority had anything to do with it, but his body was thrumming from what he’d just put himself through, just that overwhelming need to fight, to just Feel something, the adrenaline that tightened his stomach and arms, like a coiled spring, and his jaw worked, teeth grinding in anger as she read him the riot act, whether she was really worried about him or thinking he was suicidal he didn’t know, considering the training level he had the Sim on now, versus just over a month ago when he’d been severely injured, No more fight pits till you talk. Captains orders. that snapped his temper “With all due respect, Fuck you, “ he hissed “Im alone, with only you as an ally, since the day you found me and woke me, ive been hopelessly, Hilariously, out gunned on almost every level, times have changed, and perhaps ive decided that I need to change as well, I used to be good on my planet, now im fucking nothing,” the muscles across his chest tightened as he all but bellowed that last bit at her,

“But ill be damned if im going to hide behind you the rest of my miserable fucking life, If I cant do SOMETHING, Anything, that allows me to stand toe to toe with you on your best day then you might as well fucking kill me, I refuse to cower and be frowned upon by everything and everyone that we’ve so far run across, Single blood, or whatever the fuck you call it, next person who calls me that is getting their ass kicked” he tossed his daggers away, turning to face her fully, his chest heaving, muscles twitching, the AI’s head tilted slightly as it frowned looking at him, scanning him, “captain, I believe I detect traces of Spark in his system” it turned to her frowning “the drug you gave him….” Caravagio’s tone less then happy

Last edited:
Well now Car we know what Spark does to a "SINGLE BLOOD"

Within seconds she had the drops in her eyes as well with a grin.

Let's do this...

Depending on how long ago he took them his would burn out long before hers and that might be just the reality check he needed.

Well now Car we know what Spark does to a "SINGLE BLOOD" Jack’s body went ramrod straight, and his stance cooled, his jaw worked as he clentched and unclentched his hands, his eyes turning stone cold from anger, then just as quickly, his body seemingly relaxed, his eyes remained cold, his muscles unclentched as he began walking across the floor, “So………….thats hows it going to be is it?” he said, emotionless, like a switch had been thrown, no traces of humor, every aspect of his personality had been buried, I MUST OBJECT Car said as his gaze went back and forth between the two, watching as Taylanna stepped into the room, a grin on her face and jack cracked his neck, his lip curled, “Well, Here’s Round two huh? “ he said coldly, his fist like lightning as he let fly the first punch and the fight was on

Her claws we're no ai holobattle she did not pull any punches as her eyes were deadly white her claws present and her full far from human form finally making itself seen once and for all. The fight was on and she would not accept nor give any quarter and first blood might not stop her.

Carvagio tried to guesstimate how long ago he had taken the Spark from the sensors feeling certain that first blood would not stop her and that their human crew member would end up in a fight for his life over this little battle of bruised ego versus a generosity he had never seen in her before or since.

Jack’s anger was palpable as they traded blows, dodging and weaving, and he was holding his own, hitting back just as hard as he was receiving, every kick he received he returned, and he lost track of time, just letting the blinding rage fuel his muscles, and he kept his focus despite the pounding of his blood in his ears, despite everything though, his body was tiring, and his movements becoming less attuned, sweat covered his body and he had thrown his shirt away some time ago after her claws had caught and tore it. they broke apart after a particularly vicious exchange, his chest heaving as he sucked in air, he clentched and unclenched his hands working the stiffness out of the muscles jack knew whatever it was she had given him had burned through him, but he could see in her eyes, having watched her use it herself. “whats wrong Captain?” he spat, the word more a curse then the actual title “No longer able to beat this lowly human? “ he taunted, which in the back of his mind knew was a pretty stupid idea, judging by the concern and consternation on the AI’s face but he still sensed she was holding back I think you two have done enough damage, this is utterly stupid the computer quipped, Stop this now Jack just rolled his eyes and shook his body out, bouncing on his feet before settling into another stance

Carvagio heard the taunt from him and scowled trying something he knew wouldn't work and he knew all too well the consequences if she did use her blood gifts beyond the fangs and claws.

Captain I forbid you to use any more your blood gifts. Is that clear.

Carvagio was merely answered with Jack flying through him by her hands. With that Carvagio could see the pale eyes begin to swirl and ripple as she grinned. The blood gifts were unleashed. Her blood now venomous acidic... potentially Lethal and now it was slowly coating her fangs and soon her claws. Her eyes now granted her some sight into weakened places. Well at least if she realized them he would know where to repair the training room if either of them lived that long.

Back