Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Ataglance30
Virgin

Question New to erotic writing, looking for a womans input.

Hello all, call me Glance 30 straight m usa. I'm new to this but have a few ideas I'd like to toy with. Now I just need a womans perspective to go along with mine. Any ladies willing to help?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Such uncontexted posts (no indication of topics to be written or evidence that you write at all) usually get treated as come-on personal ads. Think your best approach is to write and post some stories to Literotica to show this is what you really are interested in and then ask if any women writers want to coauthor with you.

Last edited by KeithD : 11-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Ataglance30
Virgin

Ok will do thanks, like I said I'm new to lit

Old 11-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataglance30 View Post
Read the threads here at Author's Hangout (except the games) and over at Story Ideas for a feel of the dynamics of LIT authorship. Read the top stories (except endless serials) in your favored categories for a feel for what readers want. And keep asking questions. Welcome to the funny farm! Careful where you step -- it gets messy here.

Last edited by Hypoxia : 11-26-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Good luck and have fun. You’re best bet is just to write without worrying about a co author or help. Writings largely an individual pursuit and we all have different interests. Just write what you want and you’ll get better with practice and s bit of study if you’re that interested.

And welcome to the Authors Hangout. You’ll find threads here on most things and if you don’t, just ask.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #6
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Good luck and have fun. You’re best bet is just to write without worrying about a co author or help. Writings largely an individual pursuit and we all have different interests. Just write what you want and you’ll get better with practice and s bit of study if you’re that interested.

And welcome to the Authors Hangout. You’ll find threads here on most things and if you don’t, just ask.
I just want to second Clhoe's advice. I have written with other people and it is much, much more difficult to get the two 'muses' into alignment than you might imagine. Not only in the flow of the work, but in the phrasing and the emotions you want to show and in which direction you want to lead the reader.

Perhaps a better approach would be to write what you feel. Then seek out a female editor or beta reader to give you some feedback before publishing it. In fact, I'm doing just such a thing for a female writer here who is writing a gay male piece. She's a great writer, just wanted some insight on how guys really feel and think. As it turns out, we all have similar basic traits that drive our sexuality...just minor details in how we express them. (and here, I should clarify that I'm speaking in terms of a broad spectrum of sexual expression, not just the heterosexual; he Tarzan she Jane model.)

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 11-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonnights View Post
I just want to second Clhoe's advice. I have written with other people and it is much, much more difficult to get the two 'muses' into alignment than you might imagine. Not only in the flow of the work, but in the phrasing and the emotions you want to show and in which direction you want to lead the reader.
Third that advice. I've written several collaborative stories, but both writers need some mileage under their belts before they embark on it, I reckon. As others have said, get your own writing and your own style established first, before you try something harder.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Hello all, call me Glance 30 straight m usa. I'm new to this but have a few ideas I'd like to toy with. Now I just need a womans perspective to go along with mine. Any ladies willing to help?
Assuming that you aren't just trying to set up online sex, you might be overthinking the lady's point of view.

I had that need when I first came here a few years ago. I don't recall posting to ask for a woman's input, but I was totally looking for it.

The main thing I learned (I should have known) was that a complete turn-on for one is a turn-off for another. You might get meaningful feedback, or you might get an answer that resonates with one woman, and that's all.

The second thing I learned is that the opinion of women on this forum is often very different from the opinions expressed on more broad-based (convenient pun, but not intended) forums. The women here are into erotica, and that might put them in the minority.

If you're around for a while and get to know some of the women in the forum, then you can get some nice insights. That takes a little time.

Build your characters; make them real as you understand them. You'll get readers -- but only if you write the story.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright means to them.
My Holiday Contest entry is A Christmas Tart. It's a tale of true love and blackmail -- oh, and incest, too! Readers say the sex is hot.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
Ataglance30
Virgin

Thank you all for the great advice! You're indeed correct that I just need to write. Thanks for making me feel welcome!!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Thank you all for the great advice! You're indeed correct that I just need to write. Thanks for making me feel welcome!!
Stop in at the AH coffee shop. I make a mean cup of virtual coffee and the discussions are wide ranging and various. We even discuss writing occasionally.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

Want to write good female characters? Read female writers.

Chapter Fifteen online now!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #12
Ataglance30
Virgin

Haha good point Melissa! I guess ill start with yours!

Old 11-27-2018, 03:45 AM   #13
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaBaby View Post
I was just going to add that. There are thousands of women out there writing and my guesstimate is about 70-80% of the are writing women’s romances. If you want an insight into women, read those. They’re popular for a reason.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #14
Jada59
Literotica Guru

I have attempted to write with people I don't know. Always a fail.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

If it's pics or vids that you're looking for, keep on looking!

But do stop by my Online Jack and Jill Party!

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1484417

My man is MidnightRyder1a

Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
TarnishedPenny
Literotica Guru

I agree with the above.

There is however something to be said for a writer of one sex asking specific questions of the other sex. Things like, oh, do women/men really enjoy giving head? Is it just about giving the other person pleasure or is there more to it than that? Or, do any women actually get an orgasm from being spanked? Why do so many men like anal so much? (No, I'm not in this case looking for answers to these, thanks - just 'for instances'.)

It's a chance to challenge/verify long-standing myths and broaden your viewpoint. Such insights, by helping you understand the other sex, can help make your stories more realistic, more enjoyable.

But, in general, writing has to be learned learned the same way that a cat learns to swim.

My stories

My entry for the Sunburned Country event: Zoe

My entry for the Winter Holidays story contest: For Your Dining Pleasure

Last edited by TarnishedPenny : 11-27-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Haha good point Melissa! I guess ill start with yours!
I'd be honored.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarnishedPenny View Post

But, in general, writing has to be learned learned the same way that a cat learns to swim.
Howling and scratching?

Old 11-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
gunhilltrain
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaBaby View Post
As Faulkner would have it, read all writers. A lot of fiction references in some way, however obliquely, sex and love. Madame Bovary was a pretty hot novel for 1857.

However, and I mean no disrespect to the other writers here, don't try to imitate the other stories on the site. Try to figure out your own approach. (I know that sounds paradoxical perhaps.)

Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
jehoram
Literotica Guru

I put my two cents in on this subject a few years ago when I wrote "The Right Editor:"

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-right-editor

But I agree that it's tough to find such a person. I really lucked out when Athalia and I decided to edit each other's stories. What you might do, instead of looking for an editor per se, is to look for a female beta reader. It could be any woman who posts stories here that might want a beta reader herself. It doesn't hurt to ask, and you might get lucky, too.