Prophecy of Ruin or Salvation (closed for heartofcourage)

Her smile was absolutely luminous when he accepted her request to attend the Temple with her the next morning. She hoped that he would not be disappointed in their simple ceremonies and simple customs. She had heard tales of people in other lands that had lavish worship and Priestesses that wore bright colors and revealing costumes. There in Al’Tir, despite all of it’s wealth and finery, they were still reverent and simple when it came to prayer.

“I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, Valius.” She said in her soft voice, a commotion at the front of the hall stopping all the dancing.

“DRAGON!” Someone yelled and the commotion became almost deafening as those that were gathered for the celebration raced to spot the mythical creature.

Bryn pressed herself tightly against Valius as people hurried past them, his arm still wrapped tightly around her waist as the sea of people flowed past. It was eerily silent when the hall was cleared save for Dax and Valius’s delegation. She caught her breath, looking around at those left before she took Valius’s hand and pulled him behind her.

“Come on!” She called to them all, leading them not to the garden where they had just left, but to the large glass windows and fantastic views that the royal library gave them. The room was dim, lit only by the light from a fire place. From the library, one could see across the vast expanses of sand that covered Al’Tir. It offered a beautiful view of the clear night, the two silver moons that rose and the twinkling stars beyond.

“There.” She whispered, pointing into the darkness as a large dragon flowed over the light of the moons, casting shadows on the white sands. It was a huge creature, majestic and sleek as it coasted over the cool desert winds. It was colored in muted greens and browns and Bryn gasped, the grip on Valius’s hand growing firmer as she realized it was the same one from her dreams.

“Ruin or salvation?” She whispered as Dax came alongside her, his face grave. She heard someone behind them, a man that had come with Valius to the feast that night, scoff at her statement. “Is it a prophecy of ruin or salvation?”

“I don’t know.” Dax answered, his voice soft and his eyes watching the darkness as if waiting for something to happen.
 
Valius stared openly at the dragon as it grew closer and then passed over the nearby city, allowing those in the palace a full view of the beast's splendor. He'd never seen a dragon before; read of them, heard of them, but never really seen one. "Rot and blight," he heard himself say as if from a distance.

The dragon was huge, easily dwarfing the largest aurochs he'd ever seen. In fact, he'd guess it might think one of the massive bovines would be a mere meal for the reptilian wonder. It's wings were larger yet but they hardly moved at all; reminding him of the great gulls and albatrosses of the sea. It's limbs were both thick and powerful and graceful at once and it's long, lashing tail looked as if a single twitch from it would shatter the stoutest of walls. He could not see any fire near it's mouth but that was small comfort.

Bryn's hands tightened on his and he hadn't realized he'd been holding it. He gave it a squeeze and took a deep breath. Then he blinked; the dragon's scaly hide was all in greens and browns. Ithilien's colors. A shiver ran down his spine at that thought.

He also was certainly not the only one having it.

He heard Bryn speak and Claudius' scoff; though it was a faint thing, an attempt by the weathered soldier to stay tough in face of this awesome spectacle. Ruin or salvation, she'd asked. Dragons were portents and omens, strong ones.

Something was going to happen. Soon. And it would be big.

And the rotting thing signaling it was wearing his colors. People were going to jump to conclusions. And probably not good ones.

Valius shook his head as the assembled group watched the great creature take a few turns over the city and then set off north. Never did it pass directly over the palace. "I don't know either. But there will be those who assume both."

The king turned, "Sir Claudius!" The ranger-knight jerked himself to attention and nodded, "Get to where the rangers are billeted and get them up. Some people, possibly some noble people or army officers will see those colors and may attack us in their panic. Get them up and have them ready. Nothing else. Remember what I said before the party."

"Don't start anything but finish it, yes, Sire!" The old ranger saluted and was off.

"Shouldn't I go with him, Sire?" Masha was looking after her mentor with concern, "If someone comes at him on the way..."

"They'll regret it," Valius answered her. "I want you here, singulare, in case I need you." The forest king gave Bryn's hand another squeeze. "The rest of us are going to the King. I imagine the feast is over and we need to see what he's doing now."

The monarch looked over to Dax, "Sir, you and Bryn may go with us if you like. Though I understand your charge and if any ugliness were to commence, you and she may go apart from us now. I would not want her caught up in any misunderstandings."
 
Last edited:
“Your Highness.” Dax said, nodding to the monarch as he offered to take both he and Bryn with him to find King Aldor. “I believe I shall take Bryn to her rooms where she can be kept safe.”

Bryn looked between the two men and her face darkened slightly. She hated when people talked about her like she wasn’t there and she hated it even more when decisions were made about her life when she wasn’t involved.

“No, I shall go with Valius.” She said, her hand drawing from his as she placed them on her slender hips. “I will go with them, Dax. If there is trouble about to happen between the Ithilien’s and my people, I might be the only one to stop it.” She insisted before she stormed away, leaving the two men standing in her wake.

Dax sighed heavily, his hand trailing through his hair in frustration. “Watching her is like getting a river to change its course.” He said, looking at the Forest King as he said that. “You best prepare yourself for that temper if you wish to marry any woman from this family.” With those parting words, he left the young king behind to follow his charge.

Bryn burst back into the Great Hall to find it in a state of chaos. Her father had returned to his seat, his face tight as he listened to the yelling accusations and panicked ideas of his noble men. Mother Priestess stood beside him, quietly talking about what the dragon’s flight might have meant. Bryn took a deep breath and made her way to him, bowing to him in respect as she began to speak.

“Papa, I’ve seen the dragon before.” She said softly, silence following her words as nobles and advisors alike hushed to hear the Bryn Alerum speak. “The Ithelien are not to be blamed for anything. The dragon I’ve seen in my dreams brings rain and prosperity. I was floating in the ocean and the dragon flew over head as rain fell from the sky. He gave a great cry and everything was right in the world.”

Aldor listened to his daughter speak, his chin resting against his hand as the priestess stood next to him silently. His daughter was dreaming about a dragon with the forest king’s colors before he arrived. It was a sign, one that he could not ignore. His eyes lifted, watching as the very man that his thoughts revolved around walked into the room.

He stood, standing at his full height as Valius came near. “King Valius. I require a private meeting with you.” With those words, he turned and led the other man into a secreted room off the Great Hall, closing the great stone door behind them.
 
Masha sighed as Dax left, "I hope we don't have to fight our way out. I like him." Despite the sudden danger and alarm, she had a look in her eyes of dreamy admiration. Valius almost laughed; if it didn't get to fighting, she'd be trying to get the guardian to bed her before the night was done.

"But I don't know anything about dealing with strong willed women," he muttered. Valius and his group fell in; Enna was on his right and Masha on his left, with Magnus behind them. He could feel the old lord and the female ranger slightly re-arranging their garments; all the better to get at hidden knives if they needed them.

They could hear a great roar of voices as they drew near the room and then there was silence in which only Bryn's voice could be heard speaking. Valius and his delegation walked into the Great Hall and it was silent. All eyes turned to them once again.

For his part, Valius looked calm and collected, even bemused. His eyes were keen, however, and moved from face to face and here to there, noting weapons, doors, and who looked hostile. Many of the nobles had shocked expressions now and though there were some hostile faces; most were both stunned and hopeful, their eyes moving from him back to Bryn.

What had she said?

Valius walked to the king, aware that the eyes followed him. The Queen looked furious as usual, but here eyes were also suddenly afraid. Charissa was not hiding her fear at all; the lovely blond's face was deathly pale and her eyes were wide. She almost flinched away from Valius as he passed her seat.

At Aldor's words, Masha glanced at her king and frowned, shaking her head minutely. Valius looked back and his hands moved in a few quick gestures; the signs that the rangers used int he wild to hunt and fight silently. Stay. Watch. Her expression darkened and she gave the affirmative sign, with just enough tilt to her hand to give the message petulant disagreement but acceptance.

Aloud, he said, "Of course, King Aldor. This great omen is a concern to us all." Bowing to the room of nobility and the new woman in the room, the older one in the robes, Valius followed after the desert king.

He really hoped Aldor wasn't taking him in there to try and kill him. He didn't think that he was. But the way this day had gone, there was no telling anymore.

The door shut behind them with a deep, strong sound; like a tomb door closing. Valius took a deep breath. "Well, it's been a very interesting evening, hasn't it, Your Majesty? You obviously had something in mind bringing me in here. Please, let us talk."
 
The room that he had directed the young king into was decorated sparsely, more of a staging area for state events that would hold his trappings of his station when the time came. Aldor took a seat on a low stool and sighed, his great shoulders slumping as he ran his hands over his tired face. Her finally looked up at Valius and studied him for a moment before he spoke.

“I am a superstitious man. It is no secret that I take omens and signs seriously. What has been seen tonight must be thought through carefully.” He began, his mind whirring as he thought about what he was going to say.

“I am not a blind man either. I have seen the way Charissa has acted towards you and your delegation since you have arrived. She is certainly most like her mother, a stony shrew.” He glanced up towards Valius, a slight smile tipping the corners of his lips. “Nothing like my Bryn. Bryn is like sunshine on a dark day. She is like her mother in that respect.” The older king heaved a great sigh as he thought about his lost love.

“It is difficult to think about letting her leave Al’Tir. It is difficult to think that I might not be able to see her every day.” Straightening his back, Aldor tried to regain more of his composure as Valius stared at him. “And yet, she comes to me with a story about having seen that dragon before in her dreams. That dragon, with your coloring, will bring prosperity. What does that all mean?”

Aldor thought on that for a long moment, shaking his head and pursing his lips as he knew what it meant. It meant that he was about to lose his daughter, the joy in his life. He was about to give her to the young man that was standing before him. He was about to give the most important figure in his people’s lives to another nation and he feared the fallout would be great.

“I believe, Valius, that you are making an offer for the wrong girl’s hand.” The words were all that he could bear to say, his worries and concerns weighing heavily on his face. “And while I do not like the idea, I know now that I might not have a choice in the matter. The Gods have spoken. They have shown themselves to the Bryn Alerum and they have shown her a vision of you. If that isn’t a sign then I don’t know what is.”

Aldor cleared his throat and went silent for a long moment, a father thinking about marrying his youngest daughter. He never thought the day would come, had never prepared for it.

“Your offer must be reconsidered. For Bryn, I will demand more.”
 
Valius watched the older king sit down and for a few moments, let himself physically be honest. His shoulders slumped and he ran his hands over his face and his hair. He looked old. He probably felt older. He felt his heart softening for this man, a great warrior and leader, who likely had no respite, no break from the burdens of his rule. He seemed to have no close friends or even regular ones and his wife seemed hardly the type to offer him any comfort.

It occured to him that King Aldor was a man who was terribly and desperately lonely, despite all his wealth and all his power, his servants and his noble peers and all the soldiers at his command.

He let the older man speak, unsure at most points of what he would even say. Valius was not a superstitious man; he knew and believed in the Gods, he knew there was such a thing as monsters, but he was not one for prophecies and portents. At least he didn't want to be. But this...it might just be coincidence. That Bryn would have this dream and this dragon would appear.

But it didn't feel like a coincidence.

When Aldor spoke, he just listened. His face grew astonished as the man went on, hope in this eyes, though he then schooled himself to keep his face serious. Aldor was going to give him the chance to marry Bryn. His heart was swelling and he felt...he felt joy welling up in him as if from some deep spring.

Gods be praised!

And yet, how sad he looked. How worried and weary. Valius grimaced and then did something he hoped would help show his seriousness. The young king knelt on one knee, "For Bryn, I will give more; what is fair and what I can, but more, she is worth more than either of us could give, I think we can agree on that." He would not let his kingdom be pauperized or his people starve for this but...he knew he would be willing to give far more than he had planned to for Charissa.

He looked up at the older king. "There will be some difficult negotiations, I am sure, and I can see that this course of action worries you, Your Maj...Aldor." They were alone. It might be all right, might help build some trust between them to use his name. "But I will tell you this; when Bryn is my Queen, I will honor and cherish her, and I will do all within my power to make her happy and keep her safe." The young king then smiled a little, "Which will mean we will make trips to the desert routinely, I am sure. For just because she will be my Queen does not make her any less your daughter. And a daughter should visit her father, in my mind."
 
“Rise, Valius. There is no need to kneel before me.” Aldor said, his eyes softening as he heard the younger man talk about taking care of his daughter in a spectacular way.

“Negotiations will be fierce, I will assure you that, Valius. My nobles will demand of you things that you might not dream of even in your nightmares.” He was laying out everything that the young king needed to know before he entered into this agreement. “They look to Bryn as a Goddess among them. They will take his consideration very seriously.”

Aldor went quiet for a long moment and listened to the young man vow to bring Bryn back to Al’Tir often. He did smile then, nodding his head in agreement. “Perhaps we might meet halfway. That way the journey to see her won’t be so long for both of us.”

“I do ask that you and your delegation prepare to stay here for a while longer. It will make it easier on everyone if we simply give them time to get use to the idea. I would like to see her blessed in the Temple and a ceremony held here. The wedding itself may be held in your home land if you so wish, but let us give her the honor that she’s due.” A long silence greeted them both before he began again. “I believe it might make things easier as well if I gave her title. She cannot be a Princess of the Blood, the title is not due to her, but I can make her a Lady among her people.”

“If there are no objections, then I believe that it’s time for us to rejoin the others and let these new plans be known.” Aldor stood and clasped his hand on the younger man’s shoulder, a smile on his lips. “Know this, Valius, when you find someone that you love and adore, hold on to them fiercely and never give them up. I learned that the hard way.”
 
The young king's eyes narrowed. The nobles would demand things he wouldn't imagine in his nightmares? What was he talking about? "I do not fully understand the nature of Bryn's value to your people, I don't deny it. I will listen to what they ask and give it heed. But men should ware what they ask of me in this; for I will not let them try to dictate evil to me in order to thwart this."

Valius also didn't understand how much say the nobles had. Bryn was Valius' daughter and her own woman; if she was a goddess to them, maybe they should and would listen to her. He'd have to see.

"We will stay here longer, of course. Things have changed." Valius shook his head, "I did want the wedding in Ithilien but that too may have to change. Given Bryn's religious status...we may have to do it here." Which he did not have any of the accoutrements or materials for here. It would all have to be sent for or bought and made here, which would cost a fortune. "I do think Bryn deserves a title, Aldor, though that is your affair." He laughed, "If it would help, I would do so as well. I know of some titles that are currently vacant."

At that last, he had a sudden inspiration. "Aldor, if I may make a suggestion...now may not be the best time to announce this change." The young king started to pace; the wheels of his mind turning. Valius did not like politics but he knew how to play the game. "What we should do is let the nobles and servants who've been here tonight go back to their homes and lodgings. They will talk of what Bryn said about her dream and the dragon. Speculation and worry will grow...and then when you announce that I seek her hand, the symbolism of it will click in the minds of many. It may do much of our work in getting acceptance for this for us."

Valius turned and spread his hands, "I know that this is your land and you know your people. But this seems as if it would play to our hands. Let the assembly go home and gather your family and my advisers in secret after the rest have left, and we will tell them there. But given time to work this matter over, it will seem more to fit the omens once they have been given time to think on it."
 
Aldor grinned at the young king and nodded. “You will serve your people well, my lord.” He clapped the man on the shoulder and guided him out of the room. The murmuring of the crowds went silent as the two kings emerged from their conference.

“We have been given a great blessing this evening.” Aldor addressed the people gathered. “I believe it is best if we each think upon the events of this glorious union, what we’ve heard and where it will lead us. Tomorrow we shall pray at the Temples and hope for good fortune.”

With that, the nobles and crowds were dismissed. They left the Great Hall in a dull roar, excitement and apprehension. Aldor motioned for his family to stay behind and he sat at his throne again, looking upon the small crowd gathered before him. Bryn looked at him with curiosity, her blue eyes bright and full of wonder. Charissa looked ill, her face green and pale. Sophi looked as sour as always, her face scrunched and cloudy. When the hall was clear save for Valius’s delegation and his family, he cleared his throat to address them.

“There have been changes to our initial agreement. Valius has decided that it is in his best interest if he discontinues his query for the hand of Princess Charissa.” His oldest daughter let out a breath she’d been holding in a loud rush, her hand going to her chest and clutching it as she gave a shaky smile of joy. He would have to have a talk to her about modest decorum in the very near future as her little show of joy made the Ithelien’s gathered look upon her with distaste.

“Instead, he has asked for Bryn’s hand in marriage.” Everything was silent with that announcement. Bryn looked towards Valius, her jaw open in shock as if to ask if he were really interested. “And after great thought, I believe that it is in the best interest of both of our countries if I accept. Valius and Bryn will be wed when they have gone through the proper process.”

“Papa, you’re serious?” Bryn asked in a small voice, almost too nervous to hope that what he was saying was true. At his warm smile, she felt tears well in her eyes as she looked at Valius and gave him a small smile of her own.

Queen Sophi was livid, her face more pinched than normal. “Aldor, you will not forsake our daughter a good marriage just so your bastard child may further her position!” She exclaimed, the first words from her bitter tongue since the delegation had arrived.

“It is clear that Charissa wants nothing to do with His Majesty. I wish for our trade to continue and what better way than to promise him what he came here for in the first place?” Aldor asked, his glare silencing his wife’s protests.
 
Valius couldn't help but grin insolently at the gob smacked expressions that met Aldor's announcement. Magnus looked as though a feather might knock him over, Enna's hands were clasped at her throat, and Masha simply looked confused. His grin grew wider; there'd be some talking going on once they all got back to their suites, he'd guess.

He met Bryn's hopeful eyes and that small, sweet smile of his threatened to make his heart burst. He wondered, at that moment, how much happiness had she had before? How long had she wondered why she was not given the due her sister was?

He'd see she had it and more. They'd only met today. He didn't really know her. But he just...knew somehow that Bryn was someone he wanted to live and love with.

The Queen's outburst surprised him. She hadn't spoken word one this whole time, blatantly discouraged his suit of Charissa, and now she was upset? Aldor spoke to his wife firmly and that should be enough. But Valius saw an opportunity. It was a long shot but perhaps he could win some support from the stony woman.

"Your Highness," he offered, "consider the matter thoroughly. Your daughter did not want this, and neither did you, though I know not why. She remains the Princess of the Blood. Her children and your grand children will be the heirs of this kingdom. If anything else, this secures her position and makes her more valuable to other suitors." The forest king smiled, "Bryn will also be with me; leaving your Charissa to be the one daughter of His Majesty alone."

With any luck, Princess Charissa would support his position here. But she may be as truly thoughtless as she seemed to be. But in the end, it didn't matter. Valius was set in his course. "I am more grateful and honored to have my suit accepted than I may express. To have Bryn Alerum for my wife will be my great pleasure and the greatest honor I have borne, even more so than my crown. And a much happier honor to bear at that."

Valius turned his face to his small entourage, "Magnus, send one of our messenger hawks back home; we will be staying longer than expected. Another two weeks, at least. Speak not of the reason to anyone and put nothing of it in the message. All of you, this is to stay among us for now."

He stepped to Bryn and held out his hands, "My Lady Bryn. Does this meet with your approval? Your father has given his consent, but I would have yours. Will you have me as your husband? To share in all I am and have, and know that I will care for you with love and vigilance for all our days together?"
 
Queen Sophi listened to the foreign king state his case and she was appeased for the moment. Her daughter seemed happy at the prospect of staying in Al’Tir and she would be rid of her husband’s bastard child for good. Perhaps this arraignment would work out for all involved. She gave a slight nod of her head, letting her consent be known.

Bryn felt as if her heart would burst through her chest. The smile on her face grew larger and larger until her face hurt but her joy would not be diminished. She turned as Valius stepped closer to her and she took his hands, her smile shining upon him with the great feeling that had settled in her chest.

“I will.” She said in her soft voice, her eyes brimming with tears of happiness as the men that she loved the most in her life gave her what she wanted the most. “I promise you, Valius, that you will not regret this decision.”

She looked towards his shocked delegation, the people that she was soon to be ruling over herself and she felt as if she needed to say something to them as well. “None of you will regret this decision.” She wanted their acceptance and the thought of a new land and a new people suddenly made her very nervous. Would she do what was best for them? Would she give Valius the heirs that he needed? It was a lot to think about but she would get time to think it over.

“Tomorrow we will make the official announcement and negotiations will begin.” Aldor told them all, a smile upon his face as he witnessed Bryn’s joy. “I would ask that everyone attend the Temple in the morning to bless out great news and pray for prosperity.”

“Yes, Papa.” Bryn said, her eyes turning back towards Valius, her hands squeezing his tightly. “I believe we’re going to need all the help we can get.” She laughed softly.
 
Valius wanted to stop smiling but he couldn't. He should be more serious for this occasion, shouldn't he? But the smile would not leave his face. Her marvelous eyes held his and he wondered at the depth and majesty of them. Gods, what was this feeling? To think this had all happened so fast.

At her last comment, he let out a chuckle, "I have no doubt of it, My Lady Bryn. I certainly will take all the help we can get."

Lord Magnus cleared his throat, "Perhaps then, Your Majesties, Your Highnesses, we should say our good byes for the evening and retire. I am sure we will all want to be fresh and ready for the Temple tomorrow." There was a slight tick in the older man's cheek and Valius had no illusions that his counselor and old teacher wanted to get him away so he could yell at him. Not that he wouldn't likely agree once it was all laid out, but he would hate having been just as surprised as everyone else.

Valius gave Bryn's hands a final squeeze. He really wanted to pull her to him and kiss her. Those lips looked so sweet and he'd been thinking about what it would be like to kiss them all night. But it could wait. Maybe tomorrow at the announcement. "You are as wise as ever, Lord Magnus."

He turned to Aldor, "With you leave, Your Majesty, we will return to our rooms for the night. We will have much to do and say tomorrow." He bowed to him, and then the Queen, and then to Princess Charissa. "Princess, perhaps now that the specter of marrying me no longer threatens you, we may be friends. I pray you think no ill of me either way as your brother to be."

Lastly, he bowed to Bryn. "Good night, My Lady. The dawn and our meeting again before the Temple cannot come fast enough." He meant it. Had he his way, the two of them would spend the night together. Just talking, just being with one another. Not that he would object to more but...he felt this great need to merely be in her presence.

Gods, the rotting ballads and poems were all true. Love really did come out of nowhere and strike as fast as lightning.

The delegation made a set of deep bows and curtseys before taking their leave. They walked, accompanied by guards, back to the wing set aside for their use. The group went, without needing to say so, to Valius large suite. As the doors shut behind them, the young king laughed and let out a cheer, "Ha! Gods, my friends! She'll marry me!"

Magnus opened his mouth to speak, only for the youthful ruler to hug him. The older man blinked and returned the gesture, "Sire, I think-"

"Gods, and she's a wonder! Such beauty, such grace!" Valius gave the grinning Enna a hug as well and then Masha, the female ranger still looking a bit stunned. "What a Queen she'll make!"

"Congratulations, Sire," Enna offered him. His childhood friend was smiling widely. She'd never seen him this way over any woman before. "Though this does seem like it will cause quite a stir."

"I should agree, Countess," Magnus agreed. The aging lord shook his head, "Sire, the agreements were made with the Princess Charissa in mind. We'll have to start our negotiations all over."

"I know, old friend, I know." Valius rolled his eyes, "And we will, starting tomorrow. Come now, Magnus, can't you be happy for me? I like this girl. Gods, I may love this girl and I'll marry her, not the one who couldn't stand to look at me."

The old man sighed. "Sire, I am happy that you find her pleasant and you two seem well matched." Very well matched; and they only just met! It was enough to make a man believe in fate. "But I remember how hot the passions of the young run and how sometimes fleeting they may be. And I regret all the work that was done to this point is wasted."

"It got us here, Lord Magnus," Valius countered. "Surely that accounts for something." He held up a hand, "This is done and it will happen. Let us waste to more breath on that. We have far more to discuss."

"And then to sleep, Sire," Masha put it. "We do what you looking your best for your fiancee, after all." She tilted her head, "You know, we'll have to co-ordinate security with that bodyguard of hers. Perhaps I should go and have a word with him..."
 
Bryn could hardly contain her excitement as she burst into her rooms after taking her leave from the Great Hall. She let out a sound of joy, her eyes bright and sleep elusive as she threw open her chests and began digging for an outfit to wear tomorrow that would please Valius’s eye. She didn’t even look up when Charissa entered behind her and shut the door, Dax taking his post outside the door for first watch.

“Doesn’t the thought of leaving your home terrify you?” Charissa asked as she took a seat on the bed, watching her little sister pull out a gown and look over it before disregarding it in a rapidly growing pile. “What if you never seen Al’Tir again?”

“Really, Charissa, you are more dramatic than the actors at the playhouse.” Bryn said, flashing her sister a soothing smile when she noticed how concerned she was. “Valius is not a bad man and he’ll care for me. I’m sure that this will not be the last time I see Al’Tir nor will it be the last time I see you and Papa.”

Charissa looked dubious to the comment and frowned, her look turning sour. “I do not trust them. They are barbarians.”

“Enough, Charissa.” Bryn hissed, turning to look at her older sister with her hands on her hips and a rapidly angering look. “That man is my future husband and you will not speak ill of him nor his people in my presence. You had your chance with him and you threw it away like garbage. I will not tolerate any more ill will.”

With that Bryn turned back to her task and found a light orange dress that she always found charming and decided that it was the one that she would wear tomorrow. She pressed it against her body as she looked in the mirrored glass and knew that she’d made the right choice. She was surprised when she felt Charissa’s arms wrap around her and hold her tight, tears wetting her sister’s beautiful face.

“I’m going to miss you, Bryn.” She sobbed and Bryn turned in her embrace and hugged her tightly, soothing the broken spirit that rested in Charissa’s soul.

“It’s not forever, sister. I promise you that.” She said, feeling incredibly sad for the princess. “You must try to do better, Charissa. Papa loves you but he needs you to be strong.”

Charissa nodded and continued to cry upon her sister’s shoulder and Bryn sighed. It would be a very long night indeed and dawn couldn’t come soon enough.



Dax stood outside Bryn’s rooms, guarding the door as he did on first watch every single evening. He noticed a lithe figure walking towards him and smile as he noticed the Ithilien he had shared many dances with that night. She was a beauty and the fact that she knew her way around a weapon made her all the more attractive to him.

“You’re certainly a long way from home, my lady Masha.” He said in his deep voice, a wide grin upon his face. “Please tell me you did not venture all this way just to see me. My ego might grow too large if that is so.”
 
Masha's smile was warm and vaguely predatory as she openly admired and looked over the tall, strong guardian. She moved to stand before him, one hand on her hip, the other running slowly down her neck and tracing over where her dress hinted at her cleavage. "My dear lord Dax, I'm sure your ego is healthy enough that my coming to see you would not swell it too much." She smiled, "At least not as much as I hope it swells other things."

Masha was many things but she was not always subtle.

"Since you are Lady Bryn's singulare and I am one of King Valius', I thought that we should talk about how we'll be working together for the rest of our time here." The lithe beauty reached out to lay a hand on one of his forearms. Ohhh, muscley. "I understand you're on guard now but perhaps I can keep you company for a time and after your watch we can go somewhere more private and..." She paused for several seconds before continuing, "discuss our next moves."

And maybe try a few, she hoped.



Back at the borrowed wing of the palace, Valius looked out of the large window of the main room his suite had. "That dragon appearing and Bryn's repeated dreams about it are what convinced Aldor." He shook his head, "I'm not a man for portents but it makes me wonder."

Claudius had returned, the old and grizzled ranger changed into less formal attire and seated by the door to the suite. "Desperate people look to the Gods to save them, Sire, nothing new in that. I thought old Aldor would be made of sterner stuff." He had seemed somewhat disgruntled about the change in plans but had accepted it. "I still think you'd find that blond a more fun filly to ride, Sire, and that this'll come back to bite us in the tail somehow, but if you think it's good..."

"It is good." Magnus raised his head from the text he and Enna were studying. It had arrived ten minutes ago; some report of the people of Glaca and an encounter between them and Fire Nation troops. "I dislike the changes, but the king's reasoning is sound, Sir Claudius. Marrying the other girl gets us all that Princess Charissa would without the worry of Fire Nation assassins or patriots trying to kill the royal family once they realize that His Majesty's children would have a claim to the Fire Nation throne."

Claudius shook his head, "And that's the crazy thing! Giving up that claim to the throne! Sire, you could have both kingdoms."

"And administer them how?" Valius looked over at him. "Our system works the way it's in place now, but do you think it could withstand such a radical and sudden expansion? Or trying to integrate with such a different culture?" He shook his head, "You just want a great war to die fighting in, don't you, old soldier?"

The ranger knight sighed, "Not just, Sire, but..." He grumped and shook his head. "I'm not eager for a war, no, but it seems we're wasting an opportunity."

Valius was silent a few moments. "War is coming." The others all looked at him then with shocked expressions yet again this night. "We are going to go to war, my friends. Because if we do not it will come to us."

"Sire," Magnus blinked, "What do you mean? Are we going to...to attack the Fire Nation? After all this? Such disgrace!"

Enna shook her head slowly, "No, Lord Magnus...he means them," and she pointed at the test the older nobleman held. "Don't you, Sire? You mean to make war on these Glacans."

"They killed the Vago," Valius said, "I learned it from King Aldor earlier; that's why we haven't seen them. They've fallen under the rule of some madman who thinks it's the end of the world. They'll come for us soon. They've been preparing for years, I think. So. Rather than wait for them to be all built up and ready to come at us, we will go after them."

He wouldn't tell them about the Glacan interest in Bryn. Not yet. He would tell her first. Valius took a deep breath; he wondered if he'd have time to enjoy Bryn's love. Perhaps the Gods' plan was for him to go and spend himself shielding her. He could do that.
 
Dax grinned at the lady and nodded his head. “I would love to discuss this in more privacy. When I come off duty, let us meet at my private rooms and I will show you some of the moves that I was thinking out.”

He liked the way this beautiful woman was so forward. She knew what she wanted and she was going to get what she wanted. Before she could pull away, he wrapped his arm around her waist and drew her close, his lips crashing down upon hers. He would have this woman and he would make her cry for mercy before the evening was done. As he pulled away from the kiss, he grinned down at her bruised lips and flushed features.

“I shall enjoy our discussion, my darling Masha. I shall enjoy them very much.” He growled to her, releasing her and standing back at attention. It would be a very interesting night indeed.




The next morning dawned with a crash of thunder. The first rain Al’Tir had seen in months rolled across the wide desert causing many to see it as a blessing of the dragon seen the night before. They made offerings to the Temple and prayed to Bryn Alerum for good fortune.

To her credit, Bryn stood under the wide portico of the palace in her orange dress. It was modest and flowed around her like a cloud of gauzy fabric. It was cinched at the waist with a braided belt of yellow fabric, the ends tipped with gold that tinkled as she walked in an enchanting way. She wore Valius’s brooch again, pinned above her heart and his bracelet was yet again on her wrist. She had pinned a veil to her loosely braided hair, golden pins holding it in place.

She was waiting for her future husband to appear. She would accompany him to his first worship at the Temple and her stomach was tied in knots. She hoped that he wouldn’t think their customs and traditions backwards and quaint. She wanted him to enjoy his time with her and above all, she wanted to be with him.

Bryn was tired, her eyes heavy. It had been a long night with Charissa insisting that she needed to stay in her room and talk through everything in minute detail. Bryn had tired of the arguments and the pleading and had told her sister that she either needed to leave her to sleep or change the topic. When the subject of the wedding had come up, Bryn had simply said that she didn’t know what Valius had planned. It was after all, a ceremony to become his queen. The night had only afforded her less than two hours of sleep and that was fitful as her thoughts and nerves flew around her.

Bryn rubbed her eyes, sighing as she looked back at the door once more and wondering what was keeping Valius and his delegation. Did he have second thoughts about the arraignment? She sincerely hoped that he still felt the same way come the morning that he had the night before.
 
The rap of the hard boots of the Ithilien group rang out sharply through the quiet hallways of the palace. The small group from tonight hurried through the hallways; Valius had considered taking more of the accompanying rangers with him but felt it wise to appear defensive.

They were all dressed in modest finery; none of the flashy jewelry or fine cloths of the previous night; the fabrics were simpler and though excellently made were not ostentatious. The green and brown that he wore was more muted. Valius did not know how the people of Al'Tir worshiped but felt it would be best to appear modest.

He also felt he shouldn't admit that he hadn't stepped foot in a church or a temple in five years.

However, right now, he was primarily concerned that they were late.

"But why did you wait, Sire?" Masha shook her head, now again wearing her ranger's greens, "I would have found my way."

"I wanted to make sure you hadn't been waylaid and knifed by some panicked noble," Valius snapped. His only ornamentation were the golden cuffs that Aldor had given him; and he was freshly shaven and bathed. "Instead waylaid and impaled by-"

"Sire!" The military officer was actually blushing. "Please, I said I was sorry. I thought dawn would wake me, but..."

"Rain came instead," Enna inserted. "The maid serving me this morning said it was the first rain in months and people are elated. They think the dragon blessed them."

"Let's hope we can use that," Magnus murmured. "Since the sky has been shaken with thunder, and Your Majesty will soon shake the ground beneath them." The old nobleman had accepted what had happened but remained grouchy about it.

"Magnus," Valius growled, "I've had about enough-" They came out into a wide and open portico, Byrn and Dax turning to face them as they entered. She looked tired and worried but radiant. Gods great and small, she was beautiful. "Bryn...you look wonderful."

He stepped up to her and reached out to take her hands, "Good morning, My Lady. I must beg your forgiveness for being late. I fear that the journey and yesterday's events kept me up late and I slept overmuch." Masha's eyes moved to Dax and she blushed red again but also grinned. Valius was mad at her but he wasn't about to rat her out either.

Valius nodded, "We may go whenever you are ready. Or we can just wait here and let me look at you a while longer. I feel that's worship of a certain kind," he added with a smile.
 
The sound of bootsteps announced his arrival and Bryn’s smile grew across her face as she and Dax turned to watch his small delegation arrive. He looked very handsome that morning in muted brown and green and Bryn thought that very soon that she would have to begin wearing the colors herself. She smiled and took his hands in hers, squeezing then as she admired him.

“Thank you, my lord.” She said softly. “You look very handsome yourself.” Her cheeks blushed after she said that, looking at the others as she hoped that she didn’t pay him too much compliment. She didn’t want to seem improper and she most definitely didn’t want to get on their bad side before she was even their queen.

“Dax and I have only been here briefly.” She said, lying about how long they had waited. She glanced side long at Dax, giving him a look that told him to keep quiet and she noticed the way that her guard was smiling at the female ranger in Valius’s group. She sighed, knowing that his eye had strayed to yet another woman.

He was dressed in a sharp fashion that morning, so much more formal than Dax normally was. He was at ease in a red loose tunic, black breeches that molded to his muscular legs and polished black boots. His sword was at his side and he would remain outside the Temple while armed. It was forbidden to bring weapons into the house of worship.

“Shall we be off?” Bryn asked as she took Valius’s arm and the group began to walk up the hill towards the Temple. “I’ve been thinking much about last night. I must confess that while I’m very excited to be betrothed to you, it’s very daunting to think about what all of it means.”

Bryn’s eyes turned up towards Valius, noting how the rest of the delegation took a respectful distance and Dax became absorbed with the ranger.

“I mean, I shall wear your ring. I shall wear your crown.” She paused and lowered her eyes briefly, a blush covering her cheeks again. “If the Gods are willing I shall bear your children. To leave my home, to learn your customs, to be a good queen, it’s all so much to take in.”

“You won’t think less of me for my confession, will you, my lord?” She asked him.
 
The small group made it's way towards the glorious magnificence of the Temple on the hill; Bryn and Valius walking a bit in front of the others, arm in arm. There were murmurs among the guards, palace staff, and people who saw them go.

The foreigners were going to Temple; the Bryn Alerum leading them and on their king's arm! A king who wore green and brown...just like the dragon, some whispered to one another.

The young king heard none of it and didn't notice the looks. He was too busy admiring and focusing fully on the redhaired girl at his side. Her words made him smile, particularly the children part. That probably wasn't very romantic of him, but he was only human.

"Think less of you? Lady Bryn, it deepens my respect for you. I think that we're both carried away by these events and by these feelings," he shook his head with a light flush to his cheeks, "but you have sense and wit enough to think how it will be. It shows wisdom; though I knew you had that already."

He paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "It won't be easy to get used to. I regret that it will be difficult for you at first. But I'll help you with all I can. I want you to know you can ask me anything, tell me anything, or any of my people. I'd recommend Countess Enna in particular. She's been my friend since we were children. I want this between us to be...complete, and to be happy. I want you to be happy."

"I know that it's daunting. But it'll come in time."
 
Bryn nodded her head, looking up at Valius with a smile. Her husband to be was a wise man and she was proud to be his intended bride. Her grip on his arm tightened slightly, letting him know that she welcomed his advice on different matters.

“I will take Countess Enna into consideration. I want to do what is right for your people, Valius. They will soon be mine as well.” She said softly. “I’m sure that we will be happy together, my lord. I have very high hopes.” She smiled at him to alleviate his concerns.

“I was hoping that you might go to the market with me after we visit the Temple. I would like your help and advice in picking out gifts for you delegation. I have found that with visiting dignitaries the best way to break the ice is to offer them a gift of welcome.” She was desperate for these people to like her. She wanted their respect as well.

“Oh and for your family as well, Valius. I wish to pick out gifts for your family.” She looked up at his face, noticing the way he tightened around his mouth and eyes and she bit her lower lip, instantly regretting that she’d asked. It was either a topic of sadness or anger for him and she didn’t wish to bring up bad memories for him. “I’m sorry, my lord. Please forgive me for bringing up a difficult subject.”

She went quiet then as they entered the wide archways of the Temple, the sweet smell of herbs fill the air as the sounds of murmured prayers and good wishes buzzed around them. Bryn slid her arm from Valius and stepped before a statue of the Goddess of Life and bowed her head in prayer for good fortune and good luck in the next stage of her new life.

She wanted to peek over at Valius and his delegation, to see if they were praying just the same, but she had learned long ago not to fidget in the Temple. She could hear the Mother Priestess offering blessings and she wondered briefly if she could ask for a blessing over both herself and Valius. After all, the deal was not yet done.
 
When she mentioned his family, he couldn't help the expression on his face. He felt his muscles there tightening; about his eyes and his jaw. Valius closed his eyes a moment and took a deep breath, shaking his head slowly, "No, My Lady Bryn. Do not apologize." They were almost at the doors. "We'll talk about my family later, perhaps this evening if we can have some time to walk together in the gardens or..."

It was probably far too early in their courtship for them to be unattended in any kind of privacy. "Ah, well, a walk elsewhere, I suppose." He patted the small, soft hand that was on his arm. "We can to market for a time afterward, My Lady, though we cannot tarry overlong. Lord Magnus and I must meet with your father and any of your nobles he wishes to take part in the negotiations."

They were in the Temple then. It was far dimmer inside than outside, even with the gray rain clouds overhead, which surprised Valius. Most houses of worship in Ithilien were very brightly lit; with large windows and mirrors to reflect and magnify the sun's light during the day, torches in place at night. There was the scent of herbs heavy in the air, reminding him of the some glens where they grew thick and wild back home, or the window boxes his folk kept in their towns and villages. People were all over, murmuring prayers to various statues of deities. Those seemed to be largely the same at least, though the iconography was slightly different.

"Sire?" Magnus voice was soft, coming from just behind him. The rest of the Ithilien delegation had arrived.

Valius licked his lips and then shrugged, "We worship as we worship. There's no priest leading prayers, I see, so...I guess I will."

"You are the one marrying a goddess, Sire," Claudius whispered with a grin.

"Shut up, Sir Knight." Valius lead his folk several steps over to the statue of the Sun God; towering and majestic, resplendent with light that in the depiction here both gave and took life. That seemed wrong to him; in Ithilien, the Sun God was revered above all others and his light was a blessing that warmed beast and man and grew crops.

Valius stood before the statue, the others lining up on either side of him. As one the forest kingdom people raised their hands in front of them and clapped twice, sharply, before bowing their heads. "O Resplendent One, O Bright One," he said. His voice was not loud, or even at a normal tone, but it was not whispered either. "O Lord whose shining light gives life to all. See us and bless us. Turn your face to us when we are cold and need succor, and let us find shade when your brilliance is too great for us. Light well our path, and give us comfort in knowing that even when you are gone, that the dawn will come again tomorrow."

The group then spoke together, "Namarie," a lone word in the ancient tongue of their land.

Valius wasn't sure what else they should do from here. Unfortunately, he only knew one prayer by heart.
 
In the silence of her own prayers, Bryn heard Valius’s deep voice floating over the murmurs of the others that were praying as well. She looked towards the Sun God’s statue, watching them all as they prayed in a very strange way. She scolded herself for thinking that it was strange as she might very well soon have to pray in the same way.

She listened as Valius gave a beautiful prayer and then they all murmured together. There was silence from then and Bryn bit her lip and quietly walked over towards them, standing at the back of the delegation as he looked around at a loss. Bryn stepped beside him and reached into a small pouch at her hip, pulling out a handful of Agari leaves that grew in the hottest part of the desert. She handed him two and took two of her own, stepping forward and bowing her head in prayer.

“Great and mighty Sachi, I beseech that you bless this land and those within it with warm weather and abundance of life giving light. I pray that you see it fit to bless not only Al’Tir but also Ithilien with strong crops, strong warriors, and strong relations.” She knelt before the statue and placed the leaves at the God’s feet. “Please take these plants as a sign of our good faith for they grow in a land where you are seen in all your splendor.”

She was silent then, hearing a hushed whisper behind her before they repeated the strange word again and she felt Valius kneel at her side, placing his own herbs on the step beside hers. She looked over at him and gave a small smile and a knowing look. She had helped him and would continue to do so for however long he needed.

She stood and turned to those gathered by the statue, a peaceful look on her face. “My friends from lands far away, I bless each and every one of you. I pray that you have good health and I pray that our relationship together is a strong one.” She pressed her palms together and bowed towards them before she looked towards Valius and offered him her hand.

“And to you, King Valius, I pray that today is successful and that we might be joined, hand in hand, and that our union might be a blessed one.” Her cheeks flushed pink at the very thought of being Valius’s wife and she knew that she would have to atone for such improper thoughts in the Temple.

Their time in the Temple was soon at an end, the Mother Priestess standing by the entrance to further bless each and every one of them that had come through the door that day. Bryn smiled as she spoke ancient words that would bless Valius and herself with many sons and her tongue failed her when she tried to translate for her betrothed.

Stepping back out into the grey light of day, Bryn looked up at the sky that looked heavy with rain. She sighed and looked down the hill towards the market which was bustling with people and then back at Valius.

“Shall we, my lord?” She asked him, taking his arm again and feeling a tingling sensation race down her spine.
 
Bryn saved him from feeling foolish, even if he did not look it. She intoned her own prayer to the Sun God, Sachi he was called here, and the Ithiliens bowed their heads as she spoke and intoned the ritual word once she was finished.

They had gotten no small amount of attention from the parishioners of the Temple, of the priestesses therein. No priests though, that he could see, all female. How curious.

Since they had arrived, several had left, and more did so now after Bryn finished the prayer she had led them in. He tried to read the faces of those who left but couldn't get a clear bead on how they were reacting to what they overheard but it was clear they wanted to talk about it outside of the Temple's holy space.

He took her hand as her cheeks flushed and she finished her blessing over them. Her blush was...alluring. It made her even lovelier and the honesty of her demure embarrassment just made him want to pick her up in his arms and carry her off then and there.

It wouldn't have been decorous though. So he didn't do that this time.

Though her words also made him think of their union in a way that he probably shouldn't in a Temple. Though at the same time, surely the Gods did that too, and wanted their people to be fruitful and happy. So weren't such thoughts holy?

The impudent thought made him grin as he and Bryn made their way back to the entrance of the Temple, hands still joined. The woman standing by the entrance and giving blessings was old but still bore the traces of had once been a luminous beauty. There was a feeling of peace and of surety that seemed to pour off of her and Valius bowed low to her with great respect. This, clearly, was a holy woman in many senses of the word.

He could understand what she said, however. It was a language he didn't know...it sounded like the one Bryn had used yesterday when they had first met. He gave Bryn a questioning look but she only blushed and demurred that it didn't quite translate.

Valius eyed the smiling old Mother Priestess as they walked away. What had she said to Bryn? It had sent her to blushing again, whatever it was. But he could ask about that later. For now, they were heading to the market. Which was full of people, all of whom would see their king's daughter and fulfillment of prophecy on the arm of the visiting king who wore the same colors as the dragon that had visited in the night and blessed them with rain.

It would be a rotting miracle if there wasn't a riot. A happy riot, but a riot all the same.

Bryn took his arm and he smiled, unable to help himself. Gods, it felt so good to have her this close. Valius inclined his head, "Lead on, my lady, and let's cause a sensation in the marketplace."

Claudius laughed coarsely as he took up a guard position beside Valius, Dax doing the same beside Bryn, "Getting ahead of the wedding a bit, aren't you, Sire?"

Valius actually blushed. He hadn't done that in a long time, and he was sure Bryn was red to the roots of her hair. "Claudius, say something like that again today and I swear I'll promote you and send you home." Promotion at the rank Claudius held would take him out of the field and into the administration of the rangers, something he deeply dreaded. "My Lady Bryn, please forgive Sir Claudius. He's a blunt and forthright man, and I value him for that, though he goes overboard at times, but he is devoted and his service to me has been great."

They descended the hill as they spoke, passing through one of the wide, tall gates that entered into the market place; one at each of the cardinal directions. The place was thronged with people and full of noise as merchants hawked their wares and buyers haggled.

At least there was a lot of noise when they first entered. There was also noise behind them after they passed. But as Bryn and Valius walked through the marketplace, where they were, people would fall silent and stare openly with wonder in their eyes.

Valius cleared his throat and decided to pretend he didn't notice, "My Lady Bryn, I'm happy to offer what suggestions I can." He looked back at his delegation, all save Claudius now keeping a wider distance between the couple and themselves. "For Enna, she likes clothes. Maybe an outfit or dress that's distinct or native to Al'Tir?" Maybe Bryn would try some things on too. Maybe some more risque things than the modest gowns she'd worn so far.

...Well, a man could dream.

Masha would like a gift of a local weapon too; the woman warrior loved to learn new styles of fighting. Magnus would like something refined...maybe a fine local spirit or product. Claudius was the hard one. "Let's see what we can find, shall we, my lady? The day grows and I do not want to be late to meet with His Majesty."
 
Bryn blushed deeply at the comment that Valius’s guard made about their wedding. She glanced sidelong at Dax and noticed the way he smiled and tried to keep from laughing. Glancing back at the man that Valius was reprimanding, she gave him a small smile.

“Honesty is a virtue, Sir Claudius. It is nice to meet a strong man that can speak his mind without the censor that many in your office would have. You must give you king much needed advice and perspective.” She said in her soft voice, paying the man compliment and taking the sting out of Valius’s rebuke.

As they passed through the wide white stone arch into the marketplace, Bryn noticed many people pointing and talking about the appearance of the Bryn Alerum and the dragon king as they were calling him now. She found to keep the laughter from her lips and she glanced up at the questioning look that Valius gave her.

“They are calling you the dragon king now, my lord.” She said, her hand gripping his firmly. “Wear the your new title with pride. It’s not every day that a person causes such a stir in Al’Tir.”

The market was an amazing place that was filled with all manner of exotic items. There was jewelry that was made with stones and metals pulled from the many mines of Al’Tir. There were spices and foods that were grown in the hottest parts of the desert. There were the newest fashions for the high born of Al’Tir. Every stall was different, covered in a fabric covering and made out of the same stone as the palace and the entrances.

“Do all of the people from Ithelien wear green and brown?” She asked him as she listened to him intone what each of his delegation might like. “Forgive me for my ignorance, my lord, but here in Al’Tir we wear bright colors and loose fabrics.”

She guided Valius to a stall that was brimming with clothing, all colors of the rainbow represented there. She looked over the fine fabrics, blushing at the risqué fashions that were coming from these designers. They were things that she wished she was bold enough to wear, but never had the courage to try. She glanced over her shoulder at Enna as she stood with the rest of the delegation and decided that the woman was beautiful enough to wear anything she wanted. Bryn picked out a beautiful gown of light green, one that flowed and moved with the wearer and reminded her of her summer garden. It was very modern in it’s cut, leaving the wearer’s arms and a large bit of thigh exposed.

“I hope that she will enjoy this.” She said softly, glancing up at the patient look that Valius had on his face. She’d never known a man that would stand by patiently while a woman shopped. Most men in Al’Tir, save Dax, would leave the shopping only to the women.

During the course of the morning, she had picked out a fine dagger for Masha, one that the warriors wore on their belts while they rode to battle. It was easy to use, sharp and deadly. For Magnus she found a finely crafted local spirit that tasted of honey. It was strong and light at the same time and delightful on the tongue.

At a jewelry stand, Bryn looked over the wears of the vendor and smiled when she saw a small medallion that featured a bawdy scene of a harem of old. She looked at the guard and knew that he would appreciate it. She purchased it and her eyes alighted on a beautiful hair adornment that was covered in precious blue stones. She touched it and smiled to herself, thinking that it was lovely. The price was too much for her though and she reluctantly turned away, taking Valius’s hand once more as they began their way back to the palace.

“My lord, what will happen if your negotiations are not successful?” She asked, her sudden fear voiced before she realized that it had passed her lips. “I mean, I do not know what I would do if you left here without me.”
 
"The Dragon King?" He wondered how the dragon would feel about that. Still, it did sound grand. And positive, which was far more important. "It's an honor I'm not sure I deserve," it could be a heavy title." His face was serious for a moment before he smiled, "But I like the sound of it."

They went through the massive marketplace; the experience truly an eyeopener for the foreigners. The breadth of Al'Tir's trades and goods was revealed in a way that the reports and figures on paper had not managed to convey. The metalwork and jewelry on display was of high quality, but the rare and strange goods from the deep desert were equally fascinating and appealing. While Claudius stayed with Bryn and Valius, the rest of his delegation moved through the market on their own, examining things with open appreciation and doing no small bit of haggling themselves as they bought items here and there.

Valius shook his head at her question about colors and shrugged, "It might look that way seeing us, wouldn't it? But though a lot of people wear greens and browns, most people wear what they like. We don't wear a lot of very bright colors...those things get spotted so easily in the trees." He shook his head, "Which seems silly, I know. Green and brown are worn by the royal family a lot, and by those on their business. The rangers," he gestured to Claudius and Masha, "for example, wear green and brown. Other nobles tend to wear the colors of their houses for higher nobility, or those of the higher houses they are allied with."

He shook his head, "It's too blighted complex. But, take me. I wear green and brown because I am Ithilien's king, but I also will wear the colors of my house, black, white, and blue, as I did last night." He shrugged, "Enna likes to wear purples and reds, but she wears green and brown when she's officially on duty for me, and when she was in the rangers, and she could also wear my colors to official gatherings and meetings since she's only a Countess and her house is allied with mine." He sighed, "I'm only making this more confusing, aren't I? Get her what you think she'll like, my lady, and she'll wear it, I'm sure."

Valius eyed a few of the more daring garments, and there were many, and then looked at Bryn. They didn't seem to be her preference. Maybe after they were married or at least officially promised and the negotiations done.

They took the whole morning in the market. Valius walked along with Bryn, offering his opinion when asked, and watching both her and the market itself. It was a strange thing to be out shopping like this. It wasn't something he'd done in ages; it was usually all attended to by servants. It was interesting and though he wasn't enjoying the shopping itself, he enjoyed watching Bryn and hearing her talk, seeing her smile and laugh.

Damn, he had it bad. And so quickly. It really was quite astounding.

As they headed back to the palace, Bryn suddenly spoke again. Her words were low and rushed, as if she did not want anyone, maybe not even him, to hear her. Valius stopped walking and turned to face her, taking both her small hands in his. Gods, they were so soft and so warm! "Bryn, my negotiations will not fail. Too much depends on them; for both our lands. I will succeed. I'm all the more determined now that it's you that I will wed."

He took a breath and rubbed the back of her hands with his thumbs, "We have not known one another long, and hardly at all, but I...want you to be my Queen. I will not accept any other outcome. You have quite captivated me, my lady. The negotiations may take days or even weeks, but they will succeed."

Valius gave her hands a squeeze and then, before he could think better of it, stepped up and embraced her. His strong arms cradled Bryn to him, hugging the redheaded girl who had so easily, accidentally, and thoroughly ensnared him.

He wanted to do more. Gods, he wanted to kiss her. To feel those lips on his was all he wanted at that moment. But he also didn't want a riot or a war, so he knew he had to hold off. Valius took her on his arm after a few sweet moments, not nearly enough, and they entered the palace gates.

They were met by a group of guards, who bowed low, "Your Highness, His Majesty sends word that he and those with her are ready to meet you."

The young king nodded, "Thank you, we'll be along." He looked back at his group, "Countess Enna, your presence would be valuable here, but I wonder if you wouldn't accompany the Lady Bryn for now. If she wishes, of course."

Enna eyes were speculative and bright, her head tilting just to one side as she considered what he was really asking her for. "Certainly, Sire. If Lady Bryn agrees, though I dread to miss the excitement of negotiations! The numbers, the counting, the tallying, and the haggling! My, it's just like market without any of the fun!"

Valius couldn't help but grin for a moment and then sighed, "Run while you can, Countess. Lady Bryn, I will be with you again in several hours." Long, tedious, frustrating, and possibly maddening hours. But she was worth it.
 
Shock wasn’t even the word to describe what she was feeling when Valius pulled her into his warm embrace. Bryn sighed, her cheek pressed against his chest as she took in the feel of his arms about her and the scent of his soap he had used that morning. It felt right to be held by this man she’d only known for such a short time.

“There is no more enjoyable thought to me then being your wife.” She said in a soft voice for his ears alone, her arms hugging him tightly before they parted.

She looked up at him and thought about standing on her toes and pressing her lips to his. She didn’t want to ruin the moment, but she wanted to feel what that kiss would be like. She imagined it would be wonderful and the frustration of waiting was beginning to mount. She smiled at him and took his arm once more, allowing him to lead her into the palace once more.

The group of guards that met them announced that it was time for the negotiations to begin and Bryn sighed at the thought of having to leave Valius’s side. She glanced over at Enna as he suggested that she go with her for the afternoon. Bryn glanced up at Valius and smiled, laughing to herself at the thought that he was beginning her education early.

“I think it would be a wonderful idea to spend the day with Enna.” She agreed, squeezing Valius’s hand before she let him go off to the negotiations.

“Well, Countess, shall we retire to the library? I will have the kitchen send up some refreshments.” Bryn walked through the richly decorated hallways that led to the library, the silent footsteps of Dax following behind her like a shadow the only sound to accompany the women as she led the way into the warm room.

She sent a nearby servant to the kitchen to bring up sweetened tea and warm food. Bidding that Enna take a seat, Bryn sat across from her and took in a nervous breath. “Valius thought it wise that I speak with you about your country and its customs. I do not want to be left in an awkward position should I become Valius’s consort.”

Bryn paused for a moment and took a deep breath before she continued. “Enna, I must tell you that this is all so new to me. I know nothing of matters of state. I have been trained for servitude in the Temple my entire life so I do have deep compassion for my people, but this is all so much and very daunting. I do not want to anger Valius’s people and I fear that some of them will not understand why mine believe me to be a Goddess.”

Bryn told Enna her story, starting from the beginning and feeling much better about letting this woman know why things were the way they were. While she spoke a servant delivered the food that had been requested and their conversation went long into the afternoon. Enna had Bryn laughing from time to time, her cheery attitude coming through like a glimpse of sunshine and Bryn could feel a real connection beginning with this woman that the king trusted so much.

Bryn was explaining some of the customs of Al’Tir when she heard the door open and Dax stepped in, telling them that the negotiations were coming to an end for the day. “Would you send word to have Valius meet us here?” Bryn asked, smiling as Dax nodded and excused himself to do such.

“I fear that I’ve already fallen for the man and our future isn’t certain.” Bryn confessed, looking at Enna with a blush upon her cheeks. “Tell me what the custom is for those that are married in your country. Are the women treated well? What of the ceremony itself? Valius had expressed interest in wedding his bride at home.”
 
Back
Top