The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's turkey day at the in-laws today. I just made the most gorgeous anti-pasti tray with pomegranates, red grapes, smoked cheeses, sliced sausages (from The Hill in St Louis :D), assorted olives. I'm serving it with two different Italian breads, my own fragrant dipping oil (from the last of the virgin olive oil bear got in Chicago--thanks, bear) and a creamy dip. It's all too pretty to eat with lovely herbs from my garden and gorgeous crimson flowers from the pineapple sage bush out back. Hard to believe these plants are still thriving in the weather we've had.

Of course, at the in-laws, it won't be admired for its aesthetic value. It will be devoured immediately. :rolleyes:

It's turkey day at the in-laws today. I just made the most gorgeous anti-pasti tray with pomegranates, red grapes, smoked cheeses, sliced sausages (from The Hill in St Louis :D), assorted olives. I'm serving it with two different Italian breads, my own fragrant dipping oil (from the last of the virgin olive oil bear got in Chicago--thanks, bear) and a creamy dip. It's all too pretty to eat with lovely herbs from my garden and gorgeous crimson flowers from the pineapple sage bush out back. Hard to believe these plants are still thriving in the weather we've had.

Of course, at the in-laws, it won't be admired for its aesthetic value. It will be devoured immediately. :rolleyes:

That's still a wonderful compliment to your cooking, just not as appreciative for your artistic presentation. Enjoy the day well with your family, Molly.

*takes notes to build her own for the parent's dinner on Thursday*

I guess since evryone is out for thanksgiving dinners, it's up to me to make sure the fire's stoked and the beer and wine are chilled. Where's Babs? I need a hand getting things cleaned up and ready for the post dinner moans and some peppermint schnapps to ease the digestion.

I guess since everyone is out for thanksgiving dinners, it's up to me to make sure the fire's stoked and the beer and wine are chilled. Where's Babs? I need a hand getting things cleaned up and ready for the post dinner moans and some peppermint schnapps to ease the digestion.

No, we don't have Thanksgiving so me 'n the Dragon are around.
The fires is already done and the white wine is in the chiller.
There's a nice old Burgundy breathing over in the corner.
I'll let you sort out the Beer, mate; I seem to get it wrong more times than right.

Mint Julep (for the digestion) is on the sideboard.

Care to join me in a splash of something, mate ?

I'll let you sort out the Beer, mate; I seem to get it wrong more times than right.

Honey's making hot buttered rum, I'll get her to make some for us.
Nice fire mate, Give dragon a treat for me.

Honey's making hot buttered rum, I'll get her to make some for us.
Nice fire mate, Give dragon a treat for me.

He likes the odd lump of Limestone from time to time, or maybe a small lump of Anthracite. These are, as you surmise, little treats. You should see his trick with a turnip.

Don't let them confuse you. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. And you're more than welcome to experience it at my place. I've got a shoehorn. :rolleyes:

Don't let them confuse you. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. And you're more than welcome to experience it at my place. I've got a shoehorn. :rolleyes:

Honey, my sincere thanks, but I wish you & yours a truly good time.
Sadly, the Dragon cannot fly that far in cold weather, so - maybe next summer?

Lance, What does he do?
The trick is quite good.
Take an ordinary turnip (or other large-ish vegetable).
Throw high in the air and blow the flame at it on the way down.
Get the timing right and you get a nice warm snack.
Mind you, a well-cooked Pigeon is welcome on a cold day.

Despite my best entreaties, he will not do it for me; keeps pinching the potato before I can get to it. The little rotter !

Last edited:
It was a smashing success, devoured within minutes of arrival. The pretty herbs were noticed once the food was gone. :D

It sounds as if you were feeding animals at the zoo. ;) Presentation was not part of the appreciation I take it.

Hello, Naked People.:kiss::kiss:

Happy Sunday! And happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrated today. :rose:

It sounds as if you were feeding animals at the zoo. ;) Presentation was not part of the appreciation I take it.

I'm from Appalachia. Grandma was a fantastic cook, but she lived by hard learned Depression lessons, so I remember one Thanksgiving having to eat off marked-down Halloween plates. :rolleyes: Yeah, I come by my Martha Stewart ways natural-like.

So that comment made me smile. :)

Hello, Naked People.:kiss::kiss:

Happy Sunday! And happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrated today. :rose:

Hello Di. :kiss::kiss:

How was your day?

I'm celebrating Turkey Day on Thursday...I plan on eating heavily and then watching NFL football. :D

Hello Di. :kiss::kiss:

How was your day?

I'm celebrating Turkey Day on Thursday...I plan on eating heavily and then watching NFL football. :D

Tom! :kiss::kiss:

It was a good day. And a good day for a nap! :)

I'll think of you on Thursday....all the tryptophan coursing through your system...:D

I'm from Appalachia. Grandma was a fantastic cook, but she lived by hard learned Depression lessons, so I remember one Thanksgiving having to eat off marked-down Halloween plates. :rolleyes: Yeah, I come by my Martha Stewart ways natural-like.

So that comment made me smile. :)

My Depression era grandma was like that as well. She could prepare a tasty meal from the most humble of ingredients. She saved string, tinfoil, rubber bands, gift wrap from packages and all sorts of stuff. You might need it one day.

Having eaten in all sorts of restaurants from truck stops to haute cuisine, I can say I appreciate food as an art form and it's uniformly excellent. When you have the hungries tho, nothing beats a bowl of chili or a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at a diner counter. ;)

My Depression era grandma was like that as well. She could prepare a tasty meal from the most humble of ingredients. She saved string, tinfoil, rubber bands, gift wrap from packages and all sorts of stuff. You might need it one day.

Having eaten in all sorts of restaurants from truck stops to haute cuisine, I can say I appreciate food as an art form and it's uniformly excellent. When you have the hungries tho, nothing beats a bowl of chili or a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at a diner counter. ;)

Yes! She was neat and clean, but all that stuff got saved. Once I noticed a tablespoon of leftover barbecue sauce in her fridge. I asked why it was there. "I can use that! I'm not wasting it!"

She could tell you where or how she got every dish she owned. I'm going to be crying if I keep this up. :eek:

Like you, I've eaten in a variety of places and I've had wonderful meals around a campfire and fancy-pants meals not fit for anyone. (PM me for a place to avoid in Dallas! :rolleyes:)

Tom! :kiss::kiss:

It was a good day. And a good day for a nap! :)

I'll think of you on Thursday....all the tryptophan coursing through your system...:D

Speaking of naps, I'll be lucky if I make it to the fourth quarter after stuffing myself. ;)

Of course it was--after the fact. LOL. You put fine Italian eats in front of an Italian family, it's going to get scarfed up. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back