son of the isolated blurts thread!

Men are fickle.

And why is there nothing I want to go shop for on Black Friday? I know it's not popular on here to say so, but I really do like to shop that day and go bargain hunting. As for opening on Thanksgiving--I won't be going to those stores. I think they suck butt for making their employees work that day.

Guess it will be mostly just glitter fights in the craft store this year. *sigh*
 
Oregon Coast, you gorgeous wonder. Sunshine, autumn fog, and miles and miles of secluded beach sand spraying up from under the jeep tires. A perfect family escape.

An extraordinary day yesterday, chasing gulls and collecting shells and sand dollars, picnicking in sand dunes, and holding hands. Watching the kids race the lapping water as it creeps up the sand with the incoming tide.

An early night for everybody last night, spent from the day outside. Sipping scotch on the deck, I wandered in to check on everyone. The soft pounding of the surf remaining in my ears as I slid the patio door shut.

My wife sleeps, buoyed by a bank of pillows. I take the iPad from her lap and tuck her in. I can smell the wind and the sea in her hair when I kiss her goodnight. I move her full glass and the half empty wine bottle from the night table and shut off her lamp. She managed a glass, then fatigue caught up and got the better of her. I called that as soon as I saw her slide her beautiful legs between the sheets.

The kids are in their own room, lit softly by some peculiar, rubber IKEA nightlight. My little girl sleeps the untroubled sleep of the young, deep and more purr than snore. She is probably dreaming about our day, or the repeated carousel rides in Seaside, or maybe those silly Monster High doll things. In the dim light and shadows I can see the young girl she is becoming. She has my eyes, but her mother’s nose and jawline, warm and gracious smile, and hair, gently curly and spilled across the pillow. She is noble and beautiful, caring and funny. She has a free and infectious laugh, and is the one the kids gravitate to when they gather in their little-people groups at the playground and birthday parties. I suspect it'll crush me the first time someone breaks her heart.

The boy too is sleeping idyllically, on his tummy with his legs bent, sleeping like a frog that’s ready to leap from the crib. This fits. He is fearless and curious and is the reason my wife has grown a second set of eyes on the back of her head. Even though he is three years younger than his sister, I suspect he will be the first with a cast or stitches. He just goes and goes and goes. He’ll get in / around / through / over / behind it, and giggle while you try to keep up. He’s smart, already has a wicked throwing arm, and if it is vertical and there are hand-holds, he will climb it. He's inquisitive and an explorer, and will be an even greater contibutor than I to my wife's grey hair when it comes.

These two are teaching us about simple joy, fun, and a lot about ourselves. Our lives are about our future.

A few years ago I thought the greatest thing one could ever have was to be whollly head-over-heels in love with someone, have someone love you completely and unconditionally, and, favorably, have this be the same person.


I know now there is more. So much more.



/end blurt
 
Very nice Emerson, thanks for reminding us what truly matters. You are a lucky soul.
 
I'm tired of people who think the rules don't apply to them.

Three more weeks. . .
 
Well some of us already had Thanksgiving ages ago and I'm loving watching all the Xmas movies.:D

And some of us have been staring unbelievingly at Christmas merchandise in our stores since before your Thanksgiving. And are already quite sick of it. And, for inquiring minds, drunken Santa won't come out to play until well after our turkey has become a memory.
 
i'm waiting to hear how RS's inbox got filled by people offering to help fix her broken bum. :D

ed
 
And some of us have been staring unbelievingly at Christmas merchandise in our stores since before your Thanksgiving. And are already quite sick of it. And, for inquiring minds, drunken Santa won't come out to play until well after our turkey has become a memory.



Drunken Santa! Squeals. Interesting combo with your bah humbug.
 
the early americans did not observe christmas due to concerns that it placed an undue focus upon material things, while thanksgiving became a tradition through the single-handed letter-writing by sarah josepha hale to celebrate home & hearth.

i find it incredibly telling that christmas shopping crap has completely drowned out any mention of thanksgiving, except for on food network, AFAICT.

ed
 
Note to self:

Do NOT change subject lines on emails to amuse your boss. She is clearly unobservant and when she replies directly to the sender of the email instead of to you, as expected. . . well let's just say not my most professional moment.

Kinda funny? Oh hell yes. Luckily she thought so too. And it isn't quite as bad as it sounds. I wasn't being mean or catty or anything like that--that's not me. Someone had sent me a spreadsheet to review that was ancient--so I referred to it as "the dreaded spreadsheet from 2006."
 
Last edited:
the early americans did not observe christmas due to concerns that it placed an undue focus upon material things, while thanksgiving became a tradition through the single-handed letter-writing by sarah josepha hale to celebrate home & hearth.

i find it incredibly telling that christmas shopping crap has completely drowned out any mention of thanksgiving, except for on food network, AFAICT.

ed

Thanks for the link, Ed. That was a great read!

Not true about the Christmas shopping...I have seen several mentions of Thanksgiving, in regards to the timing of Christmas sales...sigh.

When did Christmas, time of good will, become taken over by the merchant's guild, whose souls are dark with the eternal hunger for money?
 
rainshine quoth:
not broken just bent. my bum that is.
if this were some other subforum here, there'd be ten replies offering to help ascertain your bum's status. :D

OTcurve quoth:
thanks for the link, ed. that was a great read!
you're welcome, i figured i wouldn't be the only one interested.

OTcurve quoth:
not true about the christmas shopping...i have seen several mentions of thanksgiving, in regards to the timing of christmas sales...sigh. when did christmas, time of good will, become taken over by the merchant's guild, whose souls are dark with the eternal hunger for money?
well, some would point to FDR formalizing the celebration of thanksgiving and its timing to commence the christmas shopping season.

but me: it's because we're consumers, by & large, far more than we are anything else. it's why a charlie brown christmas, with its reminder of what the holiday is even supposed to be about amidst rampant crass commercialism, remains so popular even now.

ed
 
Back
Top