Literotica Authors on Twitter

CyranoJ

Ustuzou
Joined
Mar 5, 2015
Posts
2,673
I know a few of you out there are promoting publications on Twitter, as am I. This is a little thread to think about how to get more out of the platform.

I've been actively seeking out erotica publishing accounts and authors, but it's amazing how much stuff out there looks like it was automated months or years ago and just left running. (I mean literally, I saw a tweet advertising some self-publication service that read "Make 2016 Your Year of Publishing Excellence.")

So I'm interested if any Lit writers using Twitter have advice to offer on any associated management apps, or good accounts to follow, or mistakes to avoid or what-have-you. And I will try to offer my own insights when I get to the point of actually having some. :D
 
Last edited:
One suggestion I would make to those who are both selling their material and still putting some stuff up on here...

If you want to sell do not tweet your lit links. At that point you are a showing a potential paying customer the way to a site that has hundreds of thousands of free stories in every kink by some very good authors and for free...

Tweeting your lit contest stories on social media to try and get votes and a potential small payout is totally counterproductive and can cost you who knows how much in sales and in the big picture you're also hurting everyone else who is trying to sell.

Having said that, I mean no offense to lit nor an I trying to force 'my way' on anyone its simply my advice based on experience and some common sense.

The other thing I'll say-and again this is my opinion only-for those selling. Do not tweet 24/7 about your new books, old books and keep shoving links at people. It gets annoying. Tweet about other random things or writing related things, but don't become a obnoxious pusher, that's an easy way to be unfollowed.
 
I think LC makes some good points.

Also, this seems like a small thing, but the format of Twitter makes me realize how much cover design matters. I find myself gravitating toward content, even literary content, that has some original and pleasing artwork on it and that some effort went into.

(And I find myself having to mute content where that isn't the case, especially when I see it over and over again.)

Talking about that actually makes me realize there's a simple way I could spice up some of my periodic scheduled news tweets. There we go! This thread's already paying dividends.
 
I've been on Twitter for perhaps a week now. So far, it's about as useful as I've always assumed it would be: not very. There is, after all, a reason I've avoided it till now.

In fairness, I'm not its target demographic: I don't feel the urge to post endless updates on my writing progress every seven minutes. It's a microblog, and for a guy who's always seen limited value in blogs, I shouldn't be shocked that Twitter isn't my end-all be-all. It's nice to get into touch with other authors, and seeing all the cover art IS interesting.

On the whole, though, LC has the best possible point: my paid writing Twitter won't have anything at all to do with my Lit work, which is declining anyway.
 
I use twitter mostly for "Hey I've got a new story posted". Also some "author's notes" type blogging, though it's much easier to go to my tumblr instead for those.

I don't think any of my readers are actually paying attention to either one, but I figure eh, what the hell.
 
Back
Top