New to posting stories, but not writing...

latux87

Experienced
Joined
Apr 18, 2018
Posts
36
Hello all. I enjoy writing erotic stories, and pride myself on being able to write on virtually any topic, fetish, or kink no matter how taboo, wild, or mild it may be. Over the years I have had many requests I fulfilled from people on the dearly departed CL, and hate seeing these stories die.

So, I have decided to post some of them here. Due to regulations and limitations, some have needed to be edited for content or other reasons, but I am posting them pretty much as written originally.

Here is the link to my stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=4231111&page=submissions

I have only gotten comments on my first story, which looking back I should have edited a bit more- especially after it was neutered by the censors, but none of the others.

Is it just easier to leave negative comments?

Would be very interested in hearing some feedback from the commentators in this forum.
 
I read "Lust at Work". Technically, it was a very good story with a nice set up and a good sex scene. But I skipped most of the sex scene as I didn't care for either character.

You don't have a single word of dialog in the story. You summarize all communications between the two main characters. As a consequence, there was zero chemistry between them. Neither of them have any personality described in the story.

Sorry to be so negative. Hope that helps.
 
Is it just easier to leave negative comments?

Would be very interested in hearing some feedback from the commentators in this forum.

Comments - it's completely up to you. Some writers keep everything, and wear the smears as a badge of pride. Other writers clean the graffiti off the fence. It's your call, you set your own criteria.
 
Unfortunately there are some people on this site, usually anonymous, who like writing very negative, aggressive comments. This happens more in some categories than others. Your story that got attacked was in the noncon category.
But as you have admitted, it's not a good story. As well as all the mistakes, there is no development of the characters, as 8letters says.

What is or was CL?
 
Thanks for the feedback. I know dialogue is one of my weaknesses, and I appreciate the advice.

CL is/was Craigslist Personals.

Anything else?
 
This is my latest, and I think it is pretty decent, but one comment asked if I was planning on making it a series, and I hadn't thought of that.

Think it is something worth considering?

https://www.literotica.com/s/finally-back-together

Lots of readers want sequels, and often don't understand that stories were written as one-offs. My advice would be only to write follow-ups if YOU want to do that.
 
Last edited:
Pretty decent? I'm afraid you have too high an opinion of your own writing.
Unfortunately you have attracted a comment from Mr Anonymous Grammar-Pedant again, but some of the things he points out are valid criticisms. There are quite a lot of mistakes (and he missed some, like 'accidently'!). Do you have someone who you could ask to check through stuff before you submit it?
 
Addressing your reader as "you" is always problematic. Firstly, I'm a guy, so there's that; secondly, I did none of those things, so you're going to progressively lose readers who didn't do those things.

Your grammar nazi is doing you a favour, so pay attention to the points they've raised.

It's all a bit mechanical and empty, I felt nothing for anyone.
 
My thoughts:

1. There are some grammar/punctuation errors, as your anonymous commentator points out, but no more than most writers here and far fewer than many. You have the skills to write a good story.

2. The POV is first person, addressing another person as "you", which is not the same thing as second person, but it's still an unusual, and I think jarring, POV. Unless you have a really good artistic reason to do otherwise, my recommendation when you write in the first person is to use third person pronouns in referring to other persons. It will go down easier for most readers.

3. The big thing that's missing in this story is dialog. Instead of relating conversation in the form of dialog, like this:

"I want you," I said.

"Then take me," she said.

You write like this, instead: "I told you I wanted you, and then you told me to take you." It's all narration. This is a really simple change to make, and it would make your story much better.

4. Instead of starting with reminiscing about the past, start by jumping right into the dialog, and then weaving the account of the past into narrative paragraphs between bits of dialog throughout the story. Often, the story will be more interesting if it's written in this way. I have been accused (with some justice) of beginning stories with too much reminiscing rather than just jumping into the story, and it's often good advice.

5. Not everyone feels this way, but I think a good erotic story needs more drama. The conversation should begin with some kind of tension that holds their ardor back. Then there is some triggering event that lets the ardor out. It should have a conclusion of some kind that ties back to and demonstrates the resolution of the original tension.
 
Thank you for (most of) the feedback.

I have not written anything new per-say in a long time. Almost all of my stories derived from emails and requests from people on Craigslist- hence the excessive use of "you".

I probably should take more time adapting them to story format, as from time to time I have tweaked them to meet individual readers (hence some of the blonde one minute red head the next inconsistencies).

As far as grammar- can't argue when someone is right- I will bear the lashes. I have been hesitant to have someone pre-read my stories, as most I know will have very little constructive to offer.

Finally, about dialog...it is a weakness. Narrative is much simpler. Maybe if I do find a creative editor, it is something I can improve.

Again, many thanks for reading and giving the feedback!
 
Bump and a favor...

I sincerely appreciate the help, and I recovered another story I had in my personal archives.

I believe it is better written, and now corrected for spelling and most grammar. I daresay it also has much better continuity.

However, I would be interested in having someone preview it and/or edit it for me before I rush to publish it.

Anyone interested?

It is a story of a woman who tries to help 2 friends with an erotic threesome.
 
Back
Top