A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

I'm taking the liberty of getting the ball rolling here. Slyc's busy, and he doesn't even have a story in this one.

I wrote Wallpaper.

Who's next?

Ooh, that was one of my favorites!

Since I don't think Slyc will mind ... I wrote The Soul Eaters.

Ooh, that was one of my favorites!

Since I don't think Slyc will mind ... I wrote The Soul Eaters.

Soul Eaters was a favorite of mine Shea. Like I said in the comment, you kinda had me by a campfire listening to the ancient tale of the bringers of darkness. Took some getting used to for a sec, but I thought it was great.

I'm taking the liberty of getting the ball rolling here. Slyc's busy, and he doesn't even have a story in this one.

I wrote Wallpaper.

Who's next?

I couldn't pin down who wrote this one actually, but now that you've said it, it's a forehead slap for me.

First to JBJ: There's no time schedule for the wrap-up of this exercise.

Then for the reveal and a bit of background.

I wrote "Fly Me," "Harmony and Dissonance," and "Wave!" in that order.

"Harmony and Dissonance" was written as "that's obvious" camouflage for a third one. (I thought "Wave!" would be the sleeper as having been written by me.) I figured it would be assumed that I'd slip in another one having done a GM one--with GM quite obviously not being favorably treated in an exercise such as this, where the category isn't GM and most of the readers either aren't going to read it or are going to slam it just because it dares to be there.

The multiple filing started to unravel with Xelliebabex suggesting that the authors of two be identified. That didn't give me heartburn, because I could honestly say I didn't write two of them--and I objected because I thought it was a bad idea to reveal that, not because I was the one who did it. I had done two before. But such an identification would negate most of the reason for an author attempting to further camouflage his/her entries. Then the jig on that was up on the 13th when Patientlee correctly suggested that one author wrote three.

I'm surprised both that, of those who made full-list guesses--not all fingered me for "Harmony and Dissonance" but that all did for "Wave!" which I thought would be my surprise entry. Sheablue got all of mine correctly identified.

"Fly Me" was the first one that came into my mind and that was written. There's a very similar "huts over the water" resort hotel to the one in the photograph in Phataya Beach, Thailand. And it's a favorite of airline pilots and stewardesses/stewards to cavort in (I've cavorted with them myself). I laughed when one of the commenters queried whether airline folks did this a lot. Well, yes they do--and I played with that in my story. I thought that locating it in Thailand would bring it too close to my story field, as a lot of my stories use Thailand as a base--I lived there for six years at two different times. So, I moved it to another beach resort area in Malaysia.

"Harmony and Dissonance" was the second one I wrote--as I do write GM, and I don't see why GM stories should not be included in the exercises just because they are going to be slammed for being there. And I pulled out all stops, making it very much a story that I write in all aspects. I've even written a couple of these characters before. So, I didn't think it would fool anyone who had any idea what I mainly write (I say mainly write, because I'll bet I have more straight stories on file here than most anyone else--more in this exercise than anyone else, certainly).

I'll admit that I wanted to spit nails when I saw a commenter saying the content of this one was crap. It's a GM story. It's what's real on the GM scene I'm used to (which is of the more macho end of the spectrum--I don't write much about the limp-wristed end). The story was knocked for the characters lacking emotion. Well, the macho end of the GM world doesn't consist of women with penises. It's a whole different mindset. And I was particularly irked because the content--the contrasting of characters--was a purposeful character study of four types of GM males. Lars is a Alpha Top, which gets off on topping out on whatever fetish they have and not thinking much of anyone but themselves. Amnad is an aesthetic GM, getting off on how beautiful it all can be. Krit is highly emotionsl (which, the "crap" commenter totally lost), caught up in the desire of homosexuality but fighting it and being torn apart emotionally by doing so. The others floating around--the servants and the transvestite--represent that large group of subs, who get off on notching their belts with a collection of Alpha Tops who have "done" them.

This is all to say that I certainly won't try a literary GM story in these exercises again, and I'll be transferring this story over to its category as soon as possible.

"Wave!" was the result of my looking at the photo and thinking, "what can I do to stand this one on its head?" So, I took the tranquility of the photo and swept it away with a tsunami. TxRad later came up with an idea that I'm sorry I didn't think of myself earlier--taking that tranquil scene and floating an unconscious shipwrecked seaman into it.

A note on the tagging--beyond no sort of tagging is going to save a GM one in a Chain Story category exercise. I was surprised that "Wave!" with just the Loving Wife tag, was found by the Loving Wife chompers. So, some of them do search on tags, I guess.

I wouldn't stop writing GM. You had an audience there with me, as I don't find it off putting, actually sorta the contrary. That element didn't factor into my comment or vote.

I can see what you're saying though. I mean, you do write quite a bit of it and there weren't that many entered this time around. And it could possibly garner less favorable (or less period) votes because it's not what many prefer, but I wouldn't stop writing it indefinitely for FAWC. Just do a FAWC without it, maybe two, and come back with a GM, just to throw some off the trail. Who knows, I might force my lazy ass self to participate as an author for a change and throw a GM in there too.

Of yours, I think I liked Wave! the most. Good idea to destroy that tranquil lovely picture with a very realistic disaster.

Perhaps the next exercise should be a GM one. One of the points of exercising is to stretch your skills.

"Harmony and Dissonance" was written as "that's obvious" camouflage for a third one. (I thought "Wave!" would be the sleeper as having been written by me.) I figured it would be assumed that I'd slip in another one having done a GM one--with GM quite obviously not being favorably treated in an exercise such as this, where the category isn't GM and most of the readers either aren't going to read it or are going to slam it just because it dares to be there.

One line in H&D gave you away: "lie beneath men". You used the same line in the slave story you submitted recently (which felt to me like a deleted scene from Uncle Tom's Cabin- very interesting.).

You used the phrase "berry-brown" in H&D and in Wave, so I assumed you wrote both.

Then the jig on that was up on the 13th when Patientlee correctly suggested that one author wrote three.

Booty Hideaway and Fly Me were the only two I wasn't as sure about. I didn't think MistressLynn would do two non-erotic in a row, just to mess with us. I didn't think Fly Me was yours. The condom tucked into the Speedo made me think female author. Sexist, I know. Oh, well.

Everybody else was doing NaNo or had posted that they were busy, so I didn't think anyone else had time to do two. I read one of your non-erotic stories, and the style in BH seemed similar. That's why I thought "someone" had written three. It had nothing to do with the discussion going on at the time.

I'll admit that I wanted to spit nails when I saw a commenter saying the content of this one was crap. It's a GM story. It's what's real on the GM scene I'm used to (which is of the more macho end of the spectrum--I don't write much about the limp-wristed end). The story was knocked for the characters lacking emotion. Well, the macho end of the GM world doesn't consist of women with penises. It's a whole different mindset. And I was particularly irked because the content--the contrasting of characters--was a purposeful character study of four types of GM males. Lars is a Alpha Top, which gets off on topping out on whatever fetish they have and not thinking much of anyone but themselves. Amnad is an aesthetic GM, getting off on how beautiful it all can be. Krit is highly emotionsl (which, the "crap" commenter totally lost), caught up in the desire of homosexuality but fighting it and being torn apart emotionally by doing so. The others floating around--the servants and the transvestite--represent that large group of subs, who get off on notching their belts with a collection of Alpha Tops who have "done" them.

I liked H&D, I just wish I had read the paragraph above before I read it. I didn't know anything about the 4 types, so didn't catch that. Lars reminded me of a discussion that you had with damppanties a while ago in which you discussed the relationship between narcissism and being actively bisexual. I thought H&D was very interesting, and I wouldn't have balked at having more information about these GM types and the male kama sutra, etc.

"Wave!" was the result of my looking at the photo and thinking, "what can I do to stand this one on its head?" So, I took the tranquility of the photo and swept it away with a tsunami. TxRad later came up with an idea that I'm sorry I didn't think of myself earlier--taking that tranquil scene and floating an unconscious shipwrecked seaman into it.

There were some things about this that I really liked, especially the part in the tree. I'm not sure about the Martinique thing though. I would have liked some French references, since it's an Overseas Department of France. Also, tsunamis in the Atlantic are usually the result of landslides. There are only a couple of places where the right land forms exist to have the right kind of earthquake to produce a tsunami. Also the overwater huts are pretty exclusive to the Pacific because of something to do with the ocean floor. There are some in Central America, but I don't think I'd stay there!

(I've written French units about Martinique, Tahiti, Earthquakes and Tsunamis recently, so I've done a whole lot of research.)

A note on the tagging--beyond no sort of tagging is going to save a GM one in a Chain Story category exercise. I was surprised that "Wave!" with just the Loving Wife tag, was found by the Loving Wife chompers. So, some of them do search on tags, I guess.

Wallpaper was tagged with "pregnant", "pregnancy" and "pregnancy fetish". The story got more than 5,000 views, and had the most votes (on the 30 day top list anyway). It was favorited by someone with a whole list of pregnancy fetish favorites. Tags worked. Plain and simple.

And I didn't respond to xelliebabex's question about names of Booty Hideaway and Wallpaper being switched. The "wallpaper" was the "wallpaper" on the cell phone.

Lee

Last edited:
That said, in terms of the exercise, I'd give highest marks to whoever wrote "Booty Hideaway" (and it wasn't me), because I think that one was a good story and did the best in fulfilling the exercise requirement--writing to the image provided.

Don't really want to get into particulars. Anyone who looks can see what stories started off with a token mention of the locale and then wafted off. I pointed to "Booty Hideway" as integrating the theme best. What it did was not just use the locale, but use the photo itself as well as the locale (they ended up there) and wove the image throughout the whole story--which was a good "real" story. A comment knocked it for not being PC on how overweight girls thought of themselves--and acted out from that. But what was written was real, not some PC pie in the sky--and there's absolutely nothing wrong with an overweight person having the goal of trimming down (and becoming more healthy).

Now, that's my opinion--and I'd be interested in a exercise in future that actually covered the exercise before throwing it open to general voting--or else I see no reason to section it off. An idea can just be thrown out and we all can dump our stories in response into the general file and have a discussion going here on the forum on the exercise elements.

Your comments made me smile. Thank you. "Booty Hideaway" is mine. I thought everyone would guess that after my comments about the picture before the challenge began.

I didn't want to write about a couple vacationing at a resort like in the picture because I figured that was too predictable (sorry to those who used that for their story). I like writing stories that people don't expect, stories that catch people off guard or make them think.

The title was a play on words. Booty was for the treasure found behind the picture. The picture was the hideaway for the booty. Quite simple, I thought.

I couldn't pin down who wrote this one actually, but now that you've said it, it's a forehead slap for me.

It was that missed period, wasn't it. :D (And my husband wanted me to point out that he's only been responsible for 3 missed periods. This one got lost in the italics-fixing. Perhaps Slyc's responsible for this one! :eek: Scandalous.)

Booty Hideaway and Fly Me were the only two I wasn't as sure about. I didn't think MistressLynn would do two non-erotic in a row, just to mess with us. I didn't think Fly Me was yours. The condom tucked into the Speedo made me think female author. Sexist, I know. Oh, well.

Everybody else was doing NaNo or had posted that they were busy, so I didn't think anyone else had time to do two. I read one of your non-erotic stories, and the style in BH seemed similar. That's why I thought "someone" had written three. It had nothing to do with the discussion going on at the time.

Lee

:confused:

So does that mean I have to write a different category for the winter holiday contest?

Your comments made me smile. Thank you. "Booty Hideaway" is mine. I thought everyone would guess that after my comments about the picture before the challenge began.

I didn't want to write about a couple vacationing at a resort like in the picture because I figured that was too predictable (sorry to those who used that for their story). I like writing stories that people don't expect, stories that catch people off guard or make them think.

The title was a play on words. Booty was for the treasure found behind the picture. The picture was the hideaway for the booty. Quite simple, I thought.

I liked BH a whole lot too. You totally nailed the fat girl, the co-dependent mother/daughter relationship, the father's lingering influence. Most people saw red in that picture. I saw orange as well.

The only hesitation I have on this one is the one-year-later. My husband had gastric bypass. A year later he looked the best he ever looked in his life, but a year isn't a long enough time to lose the weight and have the cosmetic surgery to get rid of the excess skin.

Great story. I loved it.

Patientlee

I liked BH a whole lot too. You totally nailed the fat girl, the co-dependent mother/daughter relationship, the father's lingering influence. Most people saw red in that picture. I saw orange as well.

The only hesitation I have on this one is the one-year-later. My husband had gastric bypass. A year later he looked the best he ever looked in his life, but a year isn't a long enough time to lose the weight and have the cosmetic surgery to get rid of the excess skin.

Great story. I loved it.

Patientlee

That was an error I missed. I had the weight loss lower, then added to it but didn't change the year to longer.

Like SR thought that everybody would know the GM was his, I thought maybe you'd think we'd all assume the non-erotic was yours. ;)

If I chose some of the other cats, the story would suck. And I wouldn't participate.

"Harmony and Dissonance" was the second one I wrote--as I do write GM, and I don't see why GM stories should not be included in the exercises just because they are going to be slammed for being there. And I pulled out all stops, making it very much a story that I write in all aspects. I've even written a couple of these characters before. So, I didn't think it would fool anyone who had any idea what I mainly write (I say mainly write, because I'll bet I have more straight stories on file here than most anyone else--more in this exercise than anyone else, certainly).

Wow. This is an education in itself. I'd probably have to read 50 stories in the genre to pick this stuff up.

I don't imagine I'll be writing any GM stories in the near future, but I have a few series in the works that have gay and lesbian characters. Most of my knowledge comes from the half-dozen friends we have that lean that way, but I wonder how much I know about them. They're all in long time monogamous relationships, (15+ year) and two have recently flown to New York to get married. Just a few more suburban DINK couples.

I've never really considered how their fantasy and erotic literature may diverge. I have a hard enough time trying to figure women out, and heck, they're half the population. I'm going to have to read this one again.

Any suggestions on reading if I want to understand this genre better? (Here on Lit)

One line in H&D gave you away: "lie beneath men". You used the same line in the slave story you submitted recently (which felt to me like a deleted scene from Uncle Tom's Cabin- very interesting.).

You used the phrase "berry-brown" in H&D and in Wave, so I assumed you wrote both.

I liked H&D, I just wish I had read the paragraph above before I read it. I didn't know anything about the 4 types, so didn't catch that. Lars reminded me of a discussion that you had with damppanties a while ago in which you discussed the relationship between narcissism and being actively bisexual. I thought H&D was very interesting, and I wouldn't have balked at having more information about these GM types and the male kama sutra, etc.

There were some things about this that I really liked, especially the part in the tree. I'm not sure about the Martinique thing though. I would have liked some French references, since it's an Overseas Department of France. Also, tsunamis in the Atlantic are usually the result of landslides. There are only a couple of places where the right land forms exist to have the right kind of earthquake to produce a tsunami. Also the overwater huts are pretty exclusive to the Pacific because of something to do with the ocean floor. There are some in Central America, but I don't think I'd stay there!

(I've written French units about Martinique, Tahiti, Earthquakes and Tsunamis recently, so I've done a whole lot of research.)

Wallpaper was tagged with "pregnant", "pregnancy" and "pregnancy fetish". The story got more than 5,000 views, and had the most votes (on the 30 day top list anyway). It was favorited by someone with a whole list of pregnancy fetish favorites. Tags worked. Plain and simple.

And I didn't respond to xelliebabex's question about names of Booty Hideaway and Wallpaper being switched. The "wallpaper" was the "wallpaper" on the cell phone.

Lee

Damn. I wrote a long response to this and the system ate it. So, a short version:

There was no attempt to hide "Harmony and Dissonance" as mine--it was a decoy story. The Lars, Amnad, and Krit characters have even been used before and I frequently write about the GM scene in Bangkok. You caught me with the "berry-brown." I'd made a separate sweep between the stories trying to erase such duplications.

I often enter nonerotic stories in contests here (there's one in the Winter Holiday contest), so even I could enter two of those in a row to FAWC.

I also write more than 50,000 words nearly every month, so NaNo isn't any sort of impediment for me. I wrote all three of those stories and had them through an edit within three days. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first stories FAWKCer received. (If you go back to the beginning, you'll see that I was pressing him on submission issues while the rest of you were still saying nothing was coming to you yet from that photo).

Yes, remembering my discussion with Damppanties would have helped seeing that I was doing a study of GM types--at the high macho end. I would imagine that most writers of GM here (mostly women authors) are writing the "ever after and only" GM relationship stories. I write mostly on the heavy macho, narcissistic end of that spectrum. That's where the four types I wrote about are. Lars, Amnad, and Krit don't just represent real types; they are real people I knew in Bangkok.

I think you are being too literal on location. I spend time in the Caribbean. There are a whole lot of "little America" enclave resorts all over the Caribbean and Mexico coast--and I've been to one in the Dominican Republic with huts out over the water. I picked Martinique, because I wanted to get out of Southeast Asia for this story and Martinique is unprotected from the Atlantic to the east. I'll bet I can find beach resorts there where I can spend a week without hearing French spoken.

Anyway, you seemed to have done some digging on these stories and I admire that.

When I read your story, it hit me that all I did with mine was heavily integrate location in using the image (which, however, as I've already groused, was a whole lot more than some of the others did with the image)--you made multidimensional use of the photo. Could have kicked myself for not working the image harder.

When I read your story, it hit me that all I did with mine was heavily integrate location in using the image (which, however, as I've already groused, was a whole lot more than some of the others did with the image)--you made multidimensional use of the photo. Could have kicked myself for not working the image harder.

FAWC3 challenged us to use that picture in a story. That's what I did. :)

Wow. This is an education in itself. I'd probably have to read 50 stories in the genre to pick this stuff up.

I don't imagine I'll be writing any GM stories in the near future, but I have a few series in the works that have gay and lesbian characters. Most of my knowledge comes from the half-dozen friends we have that lean that way, but I wonder how much I know about them. They're all in long time monogamous relationships, (15+ year) and two have recently flown to New York to get married. Just a few more suburban DINK couples.

I've never really considered how their fantasy and erotic literature may diverge. I have a hard enough time trying to figure women out, and heck, they're half the population. I'm going to have to read this one again.

Any suggestions on reading if I want to understand this genre better? (Here on Lit)

I don't read many GM stories here; just write my own from my own experiences, so I can't tell you want to read to expand your understanding of gay men. I can say that I don't think you'll get it by reading what most female GM writers think it is (or fantasize it to be)--and I'll bet that most GM writers here are female.

Most that I read by female authors seem to be the "looking for and finding an ever after and only" variety that are fantasies of "I wish my man had the same brain that I do, so I'll write one who does and it turns out seeming gay to me" variety. That's sour, I know, but the world of gay men I know of has an entirely different mindset that doesn't paint the type of gay men I knew as just women with penises. Emotions are involved but they are of an entirely different type and the men are mostly concentrating on their own short-term personal pleasure--on an entirely different set of desires then women expect (and that straight men are prepared to acknowledge that they largely share).

Women (and some men wanting to be on the good side of women) on the forum rail against a male mindset that, sexually, is more casual than they are and more targeted on personal pleasure. But, guess what . . .

That said, I do write some "looking for and finding an ever after" GM stories here--but more to maintain variety than that I've seen much of that in my contact with the GM lifestyle.

Last edited:
sr71plt -- are you impressed I guessed all of your stories? :D

I thought Wave! and Fly Me had a very similar ... feel or style to them, so I figured that the same author had written them. I guessed you had written H&D because I have read in your comments on various threads that you write GM. I thought it was really well written, and I liked the integration of the music. I also felt the characters were a little shallow, though now I see your explanation, it makes more sense. I don't think it pisses people off to have GM stories in the contests, or that stories like that shouldn't be here. I was actually kind of longing for more description of the sex scenes! I was intrigued by the differences between the karma sutra kind of sex and the "rough" sex. Anyway, you used berry-brown in H&D, and in either Wave or Fly Me, so I was able to link them all together.

Here's a little background on the Soul Eaters. (I'm curious if pilot thinks I made good use of the photo or not. This was not a story I already had written, I was inspired by the image to write it.)

Anyway, I wanted to use the image in an unexpected way, and I was still kind of in a Halloween mood, so I was thinking I would write a story about a haunted postcard, where something comes out of the postcard and seduces whoever has it, before killing them or ruining them in some way.

I have no idea where the rest of it came from. I thought of soul eaters, and then Kali, and then kind of went with it.

Unfortunately, I was rushed. I've been sick, and life is just busy. But I was so determined to finish this story, because I had started and abandoned 2 other FAWC stories! So I had to hurry at the end, and didn't get to the details I wanted to include, which included more sex! :D

I was a little disappointed with how it did, but it maybe was too different? And the lack of sex? I wonder how it will do if I polish it and add in the other scenes I wanted to include. Or is it just too weird? I like writing weird, though ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
sr71plt -- are you impressed I guessed all of your stories? :D

I sure am.

I'm afraid I looked at your story after having waded through a few others that I only read because I wanted to read them all. (They were much longer and more rambling than I like to read--I think the "Literotica style" is long and rambling.) It took so long to get to a reference to the image (if I remember correctly) in yours and I was looking specifically for the use of the image (which was what the exercise was), that I wasn't tuned in very much anymore. I set it in my mind to go back and have another look--mainly because one of the comments indicated it was deeper than I originally thought (it certainly was a fresh approach)--but I haven't done that. Sorry, I know that wasn't very attentive of me. I was just turned off on the general (lack of creative) use of the image by the time I got to yours.

Fair enough. I do agree that I took too long to get to the image. I think a better way would have been to describe a scene where Kalika and Rudra are released from the postcard and do their thing as kind of a prologue, and then sort of flash back to who their are and how this happened to them.

I had a much different ending in mind at first, but by the time I got there, the story was different than what I originally thought it would be. And it made the most sense to me if Kalika and Rudra became in the end like their victims -- full of longing and hope.

The multiple filing started to unravel with Xelliebabex suggesting that the authors of two be identified. That didn't give me heartburn, because I could honestly say I didn't write two of them--and I objected because I thought it was a bad idea to reveal that, not because I was the one who did it. .

In no way did I suggest two authors be revealed. What I said was two titles seemed like they could be interchanged. (See below)

xelliebabe said:
Is it just me but does Wallpaper and Booty hideaway seem to have switched titles? Maybe its just the way i read them that makes me think there was a tiny snafu there.

Obviously I was very wrong but still think it could be done, :D

I guessed four of the eight that weren't mine right including two of Sr71's so I am getting better as type-casting authors though I will admit the main reason I chose sr71 for Fly Me was the Australian connection. He had mentioned visiting here in the last Fawc. I had hoped that the connection might confuse people a little more than usual when guessing mine.

I didn't like the location heavy picture much so I took the story to opposite pole so to speak, not because I had a story and just tacked it on as one comment suggested but because I made it more about the people than the location. Where i live resorts like that are the norm, either here on the coast or a 20 minute ferry ride away. I was actually at Stradebroke Island Anchorage Resort (for the Nano retreat) when i wrote the story, and as its summer it was overly hot, my mind went to colder climates.

I guess i could have treated the photo better but I wanted to put it out there that I didn't just tack it on as some commentators suggested.

Edited: For Her was mine for those that didn't get to read them all.

Back