What do you think about your stories as you're writing them?

Swilly

Literotica Guru
I find myself going through an endless cycle of "this sucks" and "this is pretty good. Did I really do this?"

Do other writers do the same thing? Are you overly critical? Do you pat yourself on the back for mediocre work?

I use LIT as a sketch-pad. In every story my goal is to improve some aspect of story-telling. If I succeed, great, if I fail back to the drawing board.

Because most of my stories are 5+ pages I never write them in one sitting. I usually write one every week to 10 days so much each night.

As I write them I have that, "Yeah, this isn't all that great feeling"

But once I finish and I edit and I am now reading it from start to finish I think, "Hey this is pretty good"

Every once in awhile I am hit by the thought of "Man, what is wrong with me" as well.

I find myself going through an endless cycle of "this sucks" and "this is pretty good. Did I really do this?"

Do other writers do the same thing? Are you overly critical? Do you pat yourself on the back for mediocre work?

Bad, dull, boring, shit, shit, shit.

Then, every now and then, something hits me, and I manage to write it, and I know it's good.

Then it's back to shit, boring, crap, crap, crap.

I go into a zone when I write. It's a purely emotional state where reason and discretion and good taste don't exist. And while it's happening, it feels like I'm writing the best thing ever. Then I read over it later and wonder what I was thinking. Like waking up next to that guy you thought was so cute in the bar when you had your buzz on.

From then on, it's a process of making it work. Sometimes I feel like I manage it, and sometimes I don't. Often I intuitively know something isn't working but don't know why or how to fix it. And there are times when I can't tell if it's actually bad or if I've just become so disgusted with the process that I think it is. In very rare circumstances, I edit and rewrite and manage to get back to that original feeling of hazy-eyed admiration.

I intuitively know when my humor and political writing are good, and I'm always right but I don't post them here.

I haven't written much in a while, but I tend to be wondering if what I'm writing makes sense in relation to what I've already written. I might write a section and then wonder if I'm contradicting myself or pulling something out of thin air that should have some background.

If I have an ending in mind, then I'll be probably keeping part of my mind on whether what I'm writing will get me there or if I need to get things back on track.

I actually don't wonder while I'm writing if something is good or not. When I read something over, that comes more into play, but then it again tends to turn into a continuity issue more than anything else.

Stages of story development:

1) Spark of inspiration
2) Arrogant self-confidence
3) Easy endless dialogs
4) Hard draining fucks
5) Despair; lack of ideas
6) Panic; no end in sight
7) Hard edit cycles
8) Relief: SUBMITTED!
9) Oh fuck, the votes...
0) Next story: do it again

NOTE: I wrote this myself just now. I did not steal this from office samizdat, although it bears some relation to software development truisms, which usually have clauses like CYA and BLAME THE INNOCENT. Same principles apply.

Last edited:
It is usually on the edit where I think it's better than I thought. In honesty I do have a few stories out here that in know are crappily done and gave them the old fuck it...I'm posting them routine. I really should clean them up and polish them. One day maybe. Or maybe I leave them as a lesson.

Stages of story development:

1) Spark of inspiration
2) Arrogant self-confidence
3) Easy endless dialogs
4) Hard draining fucks
5) Despair; lack of ideas
6) Panic; no end in sight
7) Hard edit cycles
8) Relief: SUBMITTED!
9) Oh fuck, the votes...
0) Next story: do it again

NOTE: I wrote this myself just now. I did not steal this from office samizdat, although it bears some relation to software development truisms, which usually have clauses like CYA and BLAME THE INNOCENT. Same principles apply.

ROFLOL. Hypoxia, seriously, what a perfect list. Hahahahahaha. :D

I'm having a hard time assessing my own work. The more I learn, the harder it gets. I'm in suck mode today, and not in that good way!

Grumble.

In most cases I'm writing what I would like to read, so even if it's shit, I like it. If it is shit, I usually put it aside and let it languish.

Everything else gets posted or published. I like what I write because it's what I would read and I write for my pleasure and hope some else likes it too.

I'm having a hard time assessing my own work. The more I learn, the harder it gets. I'm in suck mode today, and not in that good way!

Grumble.
That was kind of my point in asking. I struggle quite a lot with evaluating my work, often thinking it is all horrible, or at least far below the standards set by many of you out here. Then I read some of it and think it isn't that bad. It drives me nuts.

I have a hypothesis that's a wild ass guess.

When we aren't sure or confident we're dissociated, that is the head-work isn't connected to the gut. Like when you make a pie from egg-plant. Its purple and looks like it'll taste divine in a pie.

First you want me to write the story and then you want me to think about it at the same time? :eek:

Write for fun. It takes all the worry out of it.

First you want me to write the story and then you want me to think about it at the same time? :eek:

Write for fun. It takes all the worry out of it.

Like when you get drunk then get your ass whipped.

Ah, the AH pet troll sticks his head out.

Go back to trying to rewrite the writing wheel from scratch.

I got a sneak preview of your new romance story, THE MENUDO, a brief intimate moment between two guys with beer guts.

TEX puts the MAN back in romance.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases I'm writing what I would like to read, so even if it's shit, I like it. If it is shit, I usually put it aside and let it languish.

Everything else gets posted or published. I like what I write because it's what I would read and I write for my pleasure and hope some else likes it too.

Pretty much how I feel. I write what I would like to read and don't really care what others think about it. However, if some do like it, it's like a bonus.

Pretty much how I feel. I write what I would like to read and don't really care what others think about it. However, if some do like it, it's like a bonus.
A lot of us say that, but if you got no reads, votes or feedback...would you continue writing and posting? I think we all need some appreciation, or why bother?

I have a hypothesis that's a wild ass guess.

When we aren't sure or confident we're dissociated, that is the head-work isn't connected to the gut. Like when you make a pie from egg-plant. Its purple and looks like it'll taste divine in a pie.
For me, I don't think that applies. I'm an accounting/finance guy. Creative writing isn't something I've ever trained to do. Everything I do is by gut instinct only. It's easy for me to feel lesser than some of the talented people ive read here. I keep at it, but I don't have illusions that I'm something I'm not.

A lot of us say that, but if you got no reads, votes or feedback...would you continue writing and posting? I think we all need some appreciation, or why bother?

In the pre and early internet days I rarely found stories that "did it" for me. So I began writing the type of stories I wished I could find. In the beginning I would type out stories and keep them in a folder that I could pull out when in the mood. Most we're just rewritten other stories that I changed the parts I didn't like. I didn't write a lot back then and the folder has long since disappeared.

Later on when I discovered Literotica I again rarely found the type of story I wanted to read so I started writing again, however this time I wrote the entire story instead of making minor changes to others stories. I know I'm not a good writer and it did take a long time before I felt secure enough to post one. Seeing that some do like them is a bonus as I said. However, I do have a lot of stories in my files that I don't feel are good enough to post for various reasons.

So, if if I didn't get any reads or feedback and I felt it was good, I might still publish, or I'd just go back for writing for myself.

Back