Author Reconstruction

I'll second Graham Greene and Isaac Asimov. To these I'd add Isak Dinesen, probably an unusual choice. I love her use of language and her writing in Out of Africa.

The problem with all of these writers is that they wrote in their time, informed - perhaps brilliantly - by their historical prejudices.

Don't forget Seven Gothic Tales - absolutely beautiful writing which influenced, among others, Angela Carter. I'm sure I'm not alone in seeing parallels in Fireworks.

Don't forget Seven Gothic Tales - absolutely beautiful writing which influenced, among others, Angela Carter. I'm sure I'm not alone in seeing parallels in Fireworks.

Indeed, agreed on Seven Gothic Tales. I have not read Angela Carter yet - have added her to the list. :rose:

Oh my God, I second Iain Banks. I discovered him before founding out he died and I just sat there in Waterstones, heartbroken when one of the staff told me.

Annnnnd I'll say Joseph Heller.

If by some act you could bring 1 single author back from the dead so they could write another book, which author would it be?

Think my first choice would be the man who inspired my love of the written word when I was a child.

C. S. Lewis - Narnia

I'm not a huge Lewis fan, but I'd be interested to see what the next Narnia book would look like: either "yep I was right!" or "oops".

Douglas Adams and Iain Banks: both sadly missed, both with plenty more potential. Knowing DA's approach to deadlines he'd probably get a lot of mileage out of "one more book".

H.G. Wells and/or Jules Verne would be interesting, if they get brought back now.

Indeed, agreed on Seven Gothic Tales. I have not read Angela Carter yet - have added her to the list. :rose:

Not to sound too much like an Amazon-bot, but if you liked Seven Gothic Tales you will love Angela Carter - especially her short stories.

Another who died too young, more or less at her peak.

I'd like to bring back me from the future. Just to display my shelf of Nobels and Bookers, and cheer my present failure of a self up with a glimpse of Christmas Yet To Come.

Dante as a foreign correspondent in Gaza or Syria.

I'd love to hear John Donne's sermon supporting gay marriage (yes he would. And you know it.)

And Nabokov's take on the recent Operation Yewtree and accompanying hysteria would be interesting.

Josephine Tey (real name Elizabeth Mackintosh, and she wrote plays under another pen name). She only wrote a few mystery novellas under this pen name, but they were all gems. Died in her fifties.

If I had another spot, I think I would add:

Christopher Hitchens - NOT my favorite person in the world by a stretch. Incredibly controversial. Kind of an ass. I still think his logic was undeniable except by the dichotomy created by the prevalent tendency of belief being impervious to reason.

Josephine Tey (real name Elizabeth Mackintosh, and she wrote plays under another pen name). She only wrote a few mystery novellas under this pen name, but they were all gems. Died in her fifties.

Didn't she write The Franchise Affair? Very exciting book, which inspired someone close to me to become a barrister.

Though he's been mentioned, I would add Raymond Chandler to the list. He could paint a character with phrases that cut like shards of broken glass.

For someone not yet mentioned - John Fowles. _The Magus_ should be on everyone's reading list.

Dorothy L. Sayers

Sayers stopped writing detective fiction long before she died. Bring her back and you'll get religious drama.

Again, Chandler spent the last years of his life drunk. Give him more years and he'll spend them drinking too.

Hitchens--don't get me started.

Lewis was done with Narnia many years before he died. Bring him back and he'll probably write sermons.

Well, maybe Iain Banks.

Didn't she write The Franchise Affair? Very exciting book, which inspired someone close to me to become a barrister.

Yes, she wrote that. Also an alternative explanation for Richard III and the two boys in the tower.

I nominate myself....

Two months ago my "namesake" past away in RI. It was eerie, same name, middle initial and a JR as well. Same age and his wife had the same name as mine and he had two daughters.

The obituary good have been mine until it got to the daughter's names.

Of course I said that and my wife pointed out it stopped being me when it said "Beloved....":rolleyes:

If Jane Austen could write just one more as good as Pride and Prejudice or Emma . . . But no, they wouldn't fly. They'd seem fake now.

She would only have to finish'The Watsons,' 'Lady Susan,' or 'Sanditon.

I never rated Emma so highly, the ending was a letdown with the smug Knightly getting the girl. Persuasion is more convincing to me

Mansfield Park would convert to smut the best because Fanny Price is such a sanctimonius, goody two shoes heroine. In fact the BBC did an adaptation about 15 years ago which put Mary Crawford in bed with Edmund - and Fanny discovering them. It worked well.

Me: I'd like another Flashman story by George Macdonald Fraser or perhaps another Tom Sharpe - Has anyone ever written a more poisonously funny book than Riotous Assembly, or Porterhouse Blue

Conversely I wouldn't mind if someone went back in time and bumped off a few authors before they wrote anything - James Joyce would be my first candidate, he's unreadable.

Last edited:

I never rated Emma so highly, the ending was a letdown with the smug Knightly getting the girl. Persuasion is more convincing to me

Mansfield Park would convert to smut the best because Fanny Price is such a sanctimonius, goody two shoes heroine. In fact the BBC did an adaptation about 15 years ago which put Mary Crawford in bed with Edmund - and Fanny discovering them. It worked well.

Me: I'd like another Flashman story by George Macdonald Fraser or perhaps another Tom Sharpe - Has anyone ever written a more poisonously funny book than Riotous Assembly, or Porterhouse Blue

Conversely I wouldn't mind if someone went back in time and bumped off a few authors before they wrote anything - James Joyce would be my first candidate, he's unreadable.

I wanted to respond for two reasons: first, I won't have that said about m'boy Jimmy Joyce. Try Dubliners or Portrait of the Artist first, and tell me he's unreadable. Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are tough reads, agreed, but infinitely rewarding - and, even if they aren't your personal cup of tea, to say that he isn't readable is equivalent to saying he can't write. And to say James Joyce can't write is like saying Newton wasn't much cop at physics, or that that Bradman fella would be OK if only he could bat.

Second, because your edit reminded me of Oscar Wilde, which is almost always a good thing unless one is in prison or on trial for buggery:

'I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.'

So boo and bravo in a single post. Literotica Karma is satisfied.

Patricia Rozema's film of Mansfield Park has a delicious hint of smut. Fanny discovers Henry Crawford in bed with Maria, and her physical charms are appreciated both by her uncle, played with perfect impropriety by Harold Pinter, and by Mary Crawford.

The film's also influenced by Edward Said's reading of Jane Austen's work.

I wanted to respond for two reasons: first, I won't have that said about m'boy Jimmy Joyce. Try Dubliners or Portrait of the Artist first, and tell me he's unreadable. Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are tough reads, agreed, but infinitely rewarding - and, even if they aren't your personal cup of tea, to say that he isn't readable is equivalent to saying he can't write. And to say James Joyce can't write is like saying Newton wasn't much cop at physics, or that that Bradman fella would be OK if only he could bat.

Second, because your edit reminded me of Oscar Wilde, which is almost always a good thing unless one is in prison or on trial for buggery:

'I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.'

So boo and bravo in a single post. Literotica Karma is satisfied.

Nonsense. Joyce produced tons of shit punctuated with brilliance, but so do monkeys. Joyce is like panning for gold flakes or chasing rainbows. His prose reminds me of Chelsea Clinton lauding the nobility of the ghetto rat.

Patricia Rozema's film of Mansfield Park has a delicious hint of smut. Fanny discovers Henry Crawford in bed with Maria, and her physical charms are appreciated both by her uncle, played with perfect impropriety by Harold Pinter, and by Mary Crawford.

The film's also influenced by Edward Said's reading of Jane Austen's work.

Damn. Now I have to re-read Mansfield Park too.

Nonsense. Joyce produced tons of shit punctuated with brilliance, but so do monkeys. Joyce is like panning for gold flakes or chasing rainbows. His prose reminds me of Chelsea Clinton lauding the nobility of the ghetto rat.

You forgot to mention that you can smell the blood of an Englishman.

I'm just going to throw this out there: http://www.amazon.com/Loving-Mr-Darcy-Journeys-Pemberley/dp/1402217412

My partner picked it up a few years ago. The one-star reviews are... overly kind.

Damn. Now I have to re-read Mansfield Park too.

*whisper* - just watch the film! Personally I find the only way I can read the novel is to think about how Jane Austen must've been sniggering up her mamaluke sleeve inventing this classic Gothic novel heroine, so pallid and demure that she can barely be seen in her white muslin dresses.

I'm just going to throw this out there: http://www.amazon.com/Loving-Mr-Darcy-Journeys-Pemberley/dp/1402217412

My partner picked it up a few years ago. The one-star reviews are... overly kind.

:eek: there is a whole series of them!

*whisper* - just watch the film! Personally I find the only way I can read the novel is to think about how Jane Austen must've been sniggering up her mamaluke sleeve inventing this classic Gothic novel heroine, so pallid and demure that she can barely be seen in her white muslin dresses.

I agree, Mansfield Park is one of those rare books which improves as a film. Fair point that Fanny is a Gothic heroine, but Edmund! He's no sort of hero at all

Back