Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly. Castella is only about 40 miles or so from Redding, which is hotter than the Seventh Circle of Hell.

pudify (verb): to cause feelings of shame or guilt

(sorry, my bold still isn't working, for some arcane reason

Isn't Redding in south-central England?
 
Isn't Redding in south-central England?


There's also a Redding in northern California, and it bears little resemblance to the one in England. The temperature was about 105 degrees F. when I was there, but it seemed more like 150 degrees because clouds of steam were coming off the Sacramento River. I don't know whether that's typical or a one-time occurrence, but I remember that the a/c in my Audi couldn't keep up with the heat.
 
Yes, gentlemen, Redding is in way Northern California, can be hotter than hell, and is 45 minutes south of where I live, in the cooler mountain air. Cool for here has been 95 degrees with Redding going over 100. I usually shopdown there, because the prices are more reasonable, but parking on an asphalt lot and walking into WinCo, the giant grocery story, almost knocks me out from the heat radiating off, and then I freeze once I am inside the store. For that reason, I only go down there every couple of weeks and bring home lots of food to last.

podagra - noun GOUT
 
Hello everyone, I hope you enjoy your weekend, and I am, in no way, trying to be the following;

pococurante - adj INDIFFERENT, NONCHALANT
 
Sorry about the mis-spelled homonym: Redding is not Reading, though they're pronounced the same. Thank you, gentlemen.

And as for heat, I did enjoy the temperatures of 125+F that summer I spent in Death Valley. I know, it was a dry heat.
 
Tio, I agree with you, whole-heatedly, oops, I meant whole-heartedly, of course, that dry heat is far more tolerable than humid heat. One summer in Tennessee taught me that.

poco a poco - adv little by little: GRADUALLY
 
That's because when it's dry, sweat evaporates and actually does cool you. Unfortunately, it also dehydrates you. That's why it's called Death Valley.
 
Hydration is key to survival in hot, dry weather. I use the once a hour routine, when working hard. Every 45 minutes, I take a 15 minute break in the shade, drink 12 or more ounces of water and rest up for the next go-round. When it is really hot, I wear a wet long-sleeved cotton shirt, too. By break time it is completely dry, again. All of this is preferrable to "the sheen" one wears in the South in the summer.

poco - adv SOMEWHAT
 
I would prefer to visit Death Valley in the early Spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, especially after a wetter rainy season than usual, like a few years ago, when it actually flooded. Let me know when you are planning your next trip.

There were several pocks and pockets I passed up to settle on this one;

pocket battleship - noun a small battleship built so as to come within treaty limitations of tonnage and armament
 
I'll write and we'll see what plans we might make.

pocket pool noun. A slang term referring to a male (usually a teenager) playing surreptiously with his penis through his pockets. The pool refers to the motion of sliding a pool cue back and forth between one's fingers. I don't know if it falls within treaty limitations, though.
 
Last edited:
Sounds good, Tio dear.

I am not quite sure how the definition of this word escaped me until now:

pneuma - noun SOUL, SPIRIT
 
I would prefer to visit Death Valley in the early Spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, especially after a wetter rainy season than usual, like a few years ago, when it actually flooded. Let me know when you are planning your next trip.

There were several pocks and pockets I passed up to settle on this one;

pocket battleship - noun a small battleship built so as to come within treaty limitations of tonnage and armament

But the Germans and Japanese substantially increased the size while declaring that they were within treaty limits. The 'pocket battleships' such as the Graf Spee were much heavier than they were supposed to be, and like most naval compromises, were not as effective as the designers intended.
 
Og, that makes perfect sense. I had to post that word because of the visual it brought forth in my mind. All I could see was a guy, walking around with a toy-sized battleship hanging out of his pocket. It is funny how words are interpreted by the mind, sometimes.

pluvial - adj 1.a. of or relating to rain b. characterized by abundant rain 2. resulting from the action of rain
 
Special Shit

Fewmets - An animal's droppings that a huntsman uses to establish the presence of a suitable prey.

I used Fewmets in the Free Association Thread. I thought that everyone knew about Fewmets. Apparently they don't.

I used to examine fewmets when a Boy Scout. As a parent I used to show them to my children so that they could recognise the simple ones such as rabbit, sheep and the very obvious cow.

But I don't usually touch them, except perhaps to pry them apart with a stick.
 
In North America, we don't use the word "fewmets;" we call the droppings "droppings," "scat," or "spore."

The term Fewmets was/are only used in hunting, usually the stag and fox in the UK, but for Big Game in India, Asia and Africa. Knowing your fewmets increases your chances of encountering Big Game (preferably with a camera).

If you practise hawking, the fewmets of your bird can give an indication of its general health. For wild predator birds, the fewmets give an indication of the prevalence of suitable prey and therefore the viability of the predator population. It can also disprove accusations of chicken run raiding which is more usually foxes than predatory birds.

In UK terminology, 'spoor' is the track made by an animals feet and/or body.
 
(Sorry about the orthography - spoor it should have been, and we do use it for any animal sign). Good trackers can tell much more than species from the animals scat; health, of course, as well as, from the dietary remains, where it's likely to be feeding.
And, as far as accusations go, we have used it to save a colony of feral cats from execution by showing they were falsely accused of birding.
 
I was always amused by "chips," as in "buffalo chips," and "pies," as in "cow pies," but have become very good at spotting deer pellets and bear mounds from living around here. The bear shit is really easy to see in late summer. The blackberry seeds and purple color of their dung give it away. We also have mountain lions, as well as two kinds of foxes, but I have not encountered their leavings, as yet. Not sure that I would want to, anyway.

Plutus - noun the god of wealth in Greek mythology
 
I was always amused by "chips," as in "buffalo chips," and "pies," as in "cow pies," but have become very good at spotting deer pellets and bear mounds from living around here. The bear shit is really easy to see in late summer. The blackberry seeds and purple color of their dung give it away. We also have mountain lions, as well as two kinds of foxes, but I have not encountered their leavings, as yet. Not sure that I would want to, anyway.

Plutus - noun the god of wealth in Greek mythology

Plutus was the son of the Goddess Demeter and his conception was celebrated as part of the Eleusinian Mysteries: Graves Greek Myths:

Demeter's ecstatic initiates symbolically consummated her love affair with Iasius, or Triptolemus, or Zeus, in an inner recess of the shrine, by working a phallic object up and down a woman's top-boot; hence Eleusis suggests a worn-down derivative of Eilythuies, '[the temple] of her who rages in a lurking place.'
 
I was always amused by "chips," as in "buffalo chips," and "pies," as in "cow pies," but have become very good at spotting deer pellets and bear mounds from living around here. The bear shit is really easy to see in late summer. The blackberry seeds and purple color of their dung give it away. We also have mountain lions, as well as two kinds of foxes, but I have not encountered their leavings, as yet. Not sure that I would want to, anyway.

Plutus - noun the god of wealth in Greek mythology

"The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper."

Paramus!
 
Very entertaining, gents. I have noticed that there are a lot of words for excrement, human or otherwise. I wonder how many English words there are in all? Quite a list, I bet.

plutonian - adj often cap 1. of, relating to, or characteristic of Pluto or the lower world: INFERNAL 2. of or relating to the planet Pluto
 
This sounds like the world we live in;

plutocracy - noun 1. government by the wealthy 2. a controlling class of rich men
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top