The King and I (closed)

He gave her a pointed look,

"Men with lesser titles, lesser importance have more than one guard. Like I said you are important. Not just to me, to the whole monarchy. You are now more than the daughter of a baron, you will have to get your mind around that fact."

He sighed,

"If you seem yourself as not important, I am not any more important then."
 
Charlotte stared at him for a long moment, knowing that he was going to guilt her into going along with what he wanted. She leaned back against her seat and crossed her arms over her chest, sighing softly as he sighed.

“Alright, Dave.” She said softly, watching his face closely. “You can assign whomever you want to my security detail in exchange for a kiss.”
 
He smiled,

"Two guards, four hour shifts each. Very discreet of course, they will be seen by the outside world as paparazi. You keep most of your privacy and we can rest assured that you're safe. How about that?"
 
"Well, I suppose it sounds alright, but you're forgetting something." Charlie said with a grin, her chin tilting towards him for the kiss that she'd been promised. "My kiss, your highness. Or do you renig on your deals?"
 
He grinned,

"Of course not and I did not forget, but one has to strike the deal before sealing it."

He leaned forward and gently kissed her, running his hand over her jaw and resting it on her neck as they kissed, the kiss lingering longer than it should, but Dave knew he had enough time to enjoy a kiss with what he hoped was his soon bride-to-be.
 
A smile crosses Charlotte’s face as Dave kisses her so well. A sigh leaves her lips as he caresses over her jaw, resting on her neck as he let the kiss linger longer than was appropriate. As the kiss ended, she smiled at him.

“If you keep kissing me like that, you’ll raise some questions that will be tough to answer.” She said, laughing softly as she leaned forward and pressed another kiss to his lips.
 
He smiled at her and kissed her back,

"Well who is going to ask? Gibbs? Alan? My mother?"

He winked at her and got to his feet, returning to their previous seats he nodded at his chief,

"She will have two guards on four hour rotations. You know what to do."

Both men nodded and Dave looked out of the window at the white sparkling country passed far below them.
 
“Hmmm…considering you’re suppose to be going to meet a prospective bride, you might want to keep your affections to yourself.” She said with a smile as the security chief returned to his spot.

“I assume he will want the detail in place by the time that we return home. The same goes for the plans for the restoration of the de Leon manner.” She said as both men nodded, knowing that their role was to make sure that she was safe.

Glancing at Dave, she saw the look of melancholy on his face and she felt a bit of concern for him. “Do you remember how your father would take the entire court to the north this time of year? I don’t think I’ve ever been so cold in my life.” She said, hoping to bring him out of his thoughts.
 
"Oh heavens yes, but you have to admit nothing beats a sleigh ride with real reindeer."

He turned his gaze towards her,

"One good thing about being king will be that I will be able to go do sthat sleigh rides every now and then, wearing a nice red and white suit, the only things lacking is the gut, the huge beard and twinkling blue eyes."

He grinned at her and looked back out of the window,

"My people and my land."

He rested a hand on his heart and smiled, then glancing at the other people he quickly lowered his hand back to his lap.
 
Charlie watching him very closely as he mentioned the sleigh rides with the real reindeer. She smiled as he looked towards her and made a joke before his gaze was trained back out the window.

“If you like, we can plan a grand tour. That way you can visit all the communities before your coronation. It would be a good way for the people to meet their king and the king to have a connection with his people.” She suggested. “And if you have a bride by then, she could go as well.”
 
"And this tour will be just after the state visit as the coronation is but a month away."

He was still looking out of the window,

"Of course a queen will not be there, but my most trusted and respected advisors will be. Good idea Charlie ah ahem I mean duchess."

He finally looked at her and gave her a smile,

"Even I will have to get used to it."
 
“We’ll make it simple. You can’t call me Duchess and I won’t call you King.” She said with a smile as he mentions not being able to get use to her being a duchess now. “I don’t know if I could handle not being your Charlie any longer.”

She reached over and took his hand, squeezing it lightly. “And I’ll put together a state visit that would give you a chance to visit all the different areas of the kingdom. It would mean a lot to your citizens and get you out and about.”
 
He patted her hand and smiled,

"You always know what to do, I wonder how much it would take from the monarchy if you decide to leave."

He smiled at her and leaned back into his seat,

"Of course it will be a security nightmare as anybody could get to see the future king, a strike on such a visit will open the crown for any legitimate contender to the crown. Of course mother will rule until such a claim has been found to be legitimate."
 
“Dave, you can’t think like that. An attack could happen at any time, but you shouldn’t worry about it.” Charlie said, her stomach clenching tightly at the very thought of Dave in any danger whatsoever. “Besides, I think you have a long and fruitful reign ahead of you.”
 
He smiled,

"Of course I do, I have no real enemies, my chief of security and his second in command is professionals and the best at their job."

He winked at her,

"They even had a security team sitting out in the cold while I slept all warm and cozy in your apartment last night. I'm as safe as a man can be."

He patted her hand,

"So what can you tell me of the old king, only thing I remember about him was that he thought I should be running around and play at the age of seven, not sit and listen as they discussed politics."
 
“King Aaron is a kindly man. He is growing older and would like to see a strong alliance with a country like yours, especially since he has no heirs. His three daughters are very beautiful and it seems that the Princess Elisabeth is very interested in you.” Charlie said, telling him what she knew off the top of her head.

“From what I hear the Princess is very intelligent. Probably a much better match for you than many of the counts and their daughters of your own realm.”
 
"Intelligence isn't the only thing I need."

He rubbed his thumb and forefinger over his chin,

"Why would she be interested in seeing somebody she haven't seen in almost twenty years?"

He shook his head,

"There is something behind this sudden interest of hers."
 
“Dave…” Charlie said, her voice full of warning as she saw the suspicions on her friend’s face. “If you keep up that kind of thought, how are we ever going to get you married off?”

It was half teasing, but also half real warning. This wasn’t a time for him to start acting suspicious.

“Besides, you don’t have to accept their proposal. It’s all in the name of politics.”
 
He waved away her warning,

"I can be suspicious if I wish to be, it is my right as crown prince to look out after my own hide."

He grinned,

"Of course it is political, it always is. Will see what there is to gain out of this meeting. Perhaps I can feed her one of my barons or dukes, that would definitely make some of them love me again."
 
Charlie laughed softly at his scheme, turning back to her work. It was a long flight, one that would land them in the other kingdom in the late afternoon. Whether Dave knew it or not, his kingdom was actually rather large, stretching out in all directions for hundreds of miles.

“So…what should this Duchess expect a formal proposal from her king?” She asked absently, a smile curling her lips as she watched Dave sputter for a moment.
 
Her question had caught him unawares,

"I...well...uhm...I..."

He cleared his throat and gave her a smirk,

"You are much too smart for your own good."

He leaned back into his seat, crossing his legs at the ankles,

"The king must first see if there isn't a pretty princess out there who has a nice .50 Caliber pistol with his name on it. He does enjoy lovely gifts given by pretty women."

He was teasing her, but in a way she had actually asked for it,

"All I have gotten from this duchess is kicks out of bed and being forced to listen to old men griping about money while I am cold and tired."

He winked at her,

"You know I will Charlie, I wouldn't have it any other way."
 
“I am not buying you a gun, Donovan.” She answered in a dry voice, a smile on her face as he listed all the things that she had forced him to do since she had taken over his royal schedule.

“Don’t forget the kisses, your highness. I have given you many of those the past day and a half.” As he winked at her, she blushed and gave him a soft smile.

“And I might say no!” She sly smile crossed her face and she laughed softly. “I must be crazy to want to be your queen. A life full of kicking you out of bed and sitting through boring meetings doesn’t sound as glamorous as I thought being a princess would be.”
 
He grinned at her,

"Oh is that a fact? Geez now that would make me think twice about asking you. Getting blinded by kisses and threatened with a negative answer."

He shuddered dramatically,

"Enough to shiver any man's timber."
 
Charlie laughed, reaching across the small table and grabbing his tie. Pulling him forward, she pressed her lips against his and sighed as she parted her lips under his. The kiss deepened and she felt a sort of piece in the moment. Everything was right in her world when she was in his arms.
 
He returned the kiss, seated as precariously as he was, it did not take long for him to break the kiss by sitting back, a small smile spreading over his lips,

"My my the duchess is quite persistent."

He winked at her and shifted in his seat and leaned over to her, his arms on the table.

"Have I ever given you a tulip?"
 
Back
Top