Welcome, To Iron Cooks America........

Jaded1

Take'n it to the streets.
I have been having a lot of thoughts lately about starting a cooking thread. My name is Jaded1 and I love to cook! Over the many years I have been with Literotica I have had some 15 to 20 BBQ cook outs for my many friends here on Lit. I probably have met some 30+ litizens from this sit. I have been very fortunate to meet and make some truly great friends while I have been here.

I am a registered Chili Head with the International Chili Society. I recently competed for the very first time in the New England Regional Chili Cook Off in Somers, CT. It in fact was a truly exciting competition and I had the opportunity to meet some great friends. Fun was had by one and all. I placed very well in my first competition...:) I have a couple of other ICS chili contests coming up this year that I plan to compete in. I post information pretaining to the events I am going to attend in my signature area. Proceeds from these events go to charity. Any one interested in finding out more about these competitions simply PM me. I am also searching from information on the Jack Daniel’s cook off contest series. I really want to compete in a contest were you have free rain to create a dish using a product. My ultimate goal is to be one of the cooks invited to the Jack Daniel's invitational cook off in I believe is in Tennessee. I know Jack...;)

With today’s economy in sad shape fewer people are going out to eat during the week! This is a great time to make exciting meals for yourself, family, and friends. Hopefully we can share friendships and recipes on this thread. Imagine collecting recipes from all over this great country. Actually from all over this world.

It could be great opportunity to have your own BBQ cook outs in your area. People in my area will get invitations and I am always up for a throw down… :) Who knows I may just challenge you… :eek:

This will be a great deal of fun and some very decant cooking to boot. In my cooking I show my love for my friends. OK, so who’s in?

WELCOME, TO IRON COOKS AMERICA…:D

Hi there Jaded1, nice to meet you.

I love cooking but I'm more of an indoor cook. I leave the BBQ'ing skills to the fellas. I'm more of a sous chef for the BBQer LOL

Although my love for cooking is more on the baking side. I have won several 1st place awards for my apple praline pie and apple cake. I have been baking for just over 20yrs, although lately, its been few and far between. Its no fun baking for one. I thrive on holidays!!!

Mmmm and being from Texas, I love a good bowl of chili. What did you place in the cook off? What kind of chili did you make?

I would be more than happy to share a few recipes with folks. I agree with you, on passing recipes from around the world. Nothing like a lil spice to add flavor to life.

:)

Well, allow me to thank you for dropping into IRON COOKS AMERICA...:D

At this years competition there was a total of 53 chili cooks. There was 32 with prior experience (some with over 20 years experience) and 21 of us were first timers. I cook came all the way from Texas to compete. I placed 11th in the red chili competition.

The only requirement is the love to cook. Must say your is pretty dam impressive yourself.

I can't imagine not having fun with this and all the new friends we can meet....:D

Well, allow me to thank you for dropping into IRON COOKS AMERICA...:D

At this years competition there was a total of 53 chili cooks. There was 32 with prior experience (some with over 20 years experience) and 21 of us were first timers. I cook came all the way from Texas to compete. I placed 11th in the red chili competition.

The only requirement is the love to cook. Must say your is pretty dam impressive yourself.

I can't imagine not having fun with this and all the new friends we can meet....:D

Marlboro put out a series of cookbooks years ago. Their cigarettes suck but they had some great chili recipes in them. Chili is like meatloaf, you can put just about anything you want in it. Even peanut butter and cocoa powder and cinnamon .:eek:

I'm also more a baker than a cook...altho, I'm quite a good southern cook, or so I've been told.

My specialties are cheesecakes of all types, Apple Amaretto torte with Walnuts, and any type of cinnamon roll/sticky buns.

I've been to a few chili cook-offs, some of those chili's will make you sweat in places you didn't know could sweat :eek:

Hey, koalabear thank you for dropping in.

As a part of coming up with a competition recipe I made SEVERAL pots of chili...:rolleyes: It wasn't as simple as whipping up a pot of chili. There are a lot of rules that a cook must comply with. If chili is you think you should try one of the ICS chili cook off. It is a blast. I can pass on the information or simply visit the site yourself.

" http://www.chilicookoff.com/general/aboutus.asp "

Welcome, to the thread my friend...:D

Basically this will be a thread for those of us that truly enjoy either cooking or baking. When having a cook out at my place for friends I love to prepare decadent dish. It is my way of showing the love I have for my true friends. I make a pretty mean "fresh strawberry/whip cream pie in a chocolate cook pie shell" that will melt the cold heart...;)

The chili cook off are lots of fun. The one I competed in we were able to take in $14,000.00 for the less fortunate.

If ya need a hand get'n the sweat places let me know...:eek:

Welcome to the thread BradBigBrain...:)

I have been know to grille (preferably on charcoal...;) ), smoke, cook, and bake.

Please feel free to post a recipe or jump in if a question comes up. United we stand strong.

Tell me who doesn't enjoy good fixn's...:D

Marlboro put out a series of cookbooks years ago. Their cigarettes suck but they had some great chili recipes in them. Chili is like meatloaf, you can put just about anything you want in it. Even peanut butter and cocoa powder and cinnamon .:eek:

I was in both the red chili competition and the people choice entry. My peoples choice chili included Chipotle peppers (Jalapeno peppers smoked on a smoker) instead of just the traditional Jalapeno peppers. It gave the chili more of rich smokey flavor and not as hot. I used Cayenne pepper and Serrano peppers for heat. I also used Cinnamon and corn niblets to change the flavor a bit.

I was in both the red chili competition and the people choice entry. My peoples choice chili included Chipotle peppers (Jalapeno peppers smoked on a smoker) instead of just the traditional Jalapeno peppers. It gave the chili more of rich smokey flavor and not as hot. I used Cayenne pepper and Serrano peppers for heat. I also used Cinnamon and corn niblets to change the flavor a bit.

amazing how cinnamon enhances the other flavors with out tasting the cinnamon itself. Making a peeper chart to post here...scanning it now.......lol.......I shun Chipotle.......been a phrase I am sick of hearing. I always make mine in cast iron and over an open campfire if possible......that gives me the smokiness...;)

Chipotle is just beginning to come into it's own around here. The chili has to be prepared from scratch. We are limited to using propane camping type stoves and had only a three hour window of time to do this. In the competition version you cannot use beans or pasta. The actual chili itself has to be completely smooth with the consistence of gravy. Nothing can be pre cooked. You can use any meat you choose. However, it has to be cook on location...:D

Oh, and the high temperature for the day was 43 degrees. It was drizzling on and off all day long...:eek:

OK, from the baker side of me...;)

Fresh Strawberry Pie

With strawberry season upon us what more fitting than strawberry pie. You can make a great fresh peach pie using this same recipe. Just substitute peaches for strawberries and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the peach glaze after it thickens and becomes clear…:)

2 pints fresh strawberries
¾ cup of water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons on cornstarch
1 cup of sugar
1 9-inch baked pie shell (I prefer Keeblers chocolate
cook shell)
1 cup of whipped cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar

Wash and hull the strawberries. Measure 1 cup of berries for the glaze and mash them or puree them in a blender. Pour into a medium sauce pan. Add water and lemon juice.

Over a medium heat bring the fruit mixture to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix cornstarch with the sugar and add to the cooking fruit mixture. Cook until the mixture thickens and becomes clear. Allow to cool slightly.

Slice in half the remainder of the strawberries and place in the into the baked pie shell. Pour the strawberry sauce over the strawberries and chill. Add the vanilla extract to the whipping cream. Using an electric mixer beat the whipping cream until it forms peaks. Cover the top of the pie with the whipped cream and form small peaks. Sprinkle the top confectioner’s sugar onto the whipped cream topping.

Last edited:
Chipotle is just beginning to come into it's own around here. The chili has to be prepared from scratch. We are limited to using propane camping type stoves and had only a three hour window of time to do this. In the competition version you cannot use beans or pasta. The actual chili itself has to be completely smooth with the consistence of gravy. Nothing can be pre cooked. You can use any meat you choose. However, it has to be cook on location...:D

Oh, and the high temperature for the day was 43 degrees. It was drizzling on and off all day long...:eek:

the rain makes it more fun....The Single Action Shooting Society has cowboy chili cook offs. All proceeds to go to scholarship funds, plus you get to dress like a cowboy, gun included......lmao

And from my BBQ guy side....:)

Tex/Mex Barbecue Sauce with Tequila.

3 tablespoons of chili oil.
2 cups of chopped fine Vidalia onions.
1 of each, red , green, and yellow bell peppers, seeded, and fine chopped.
2 tablespoons of fine chopped garlic.
1 cup of chile paste.
1 teaspoon of chile tepin, or 4 ground, chile japones.
¼ cup of cider vinegar.
1 cup of tomato sauce.
2 tablespoons of hot spicy mustard.
1 table spoon of soy sauce.
1 cup of packed brown sugar.
½ teaspoon of margarita salt or other salt.
¼ teaspoon of ground cumin.
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper or to desire… ;)
½ teaspoon of black pepper.
½ cup of Premium Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila.

In a large sauce pan heat chili oil over medium heat. Saute onion, bell peppers and garlic until soft. Stir in chile paste, cook, stir for approx. 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients WITH THE EXCPTION OF THE TEQUILA…  Reduce heat and stir periodically. To test for proper consistency stand a spoon straight up in the pot. If it remains upright the sauce is the correct consistency. If not continue to cook on low. Allow the sauce to cool completely. The pour sauce into a blender fitted with steel blades. Add tequila at this point and blend until a smooth consistency… :D

and

Southern Barbecue Rub – create ribs that any BBQ pit boss would be proud of.

¼ cup of brown sugar.
2 tablespoons salt.
¼ cup of crushed black peppercorns.
¼ cup of paprika.
1 tablespoon of powered mustard.
2 tablespoons of garlic powder.
1 to 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper, or to taste… ;)

Combine all ingredients on a spice mill or bender. Can be stored in a air tight jar in a freezer for up to six months.

Recommended cuts: Beef brisket (marinate for 8 hours or over night), flank steak (6 to 8 hours), pork ribs (8 hours to overnight)… :D

the rain makes it more fun....The Single Action Shooting Society has cowboy chili cook offs. All proceeds to go to scholarship funds, plus you get to dress like a cowboy, gun included......lmao

Really not sure if you'd wanna trust me with a six gun...:eek:

I wouldn't fare well in that completion, I like chili you can eat with a fork.......:cool:

Hey ya Jaded! Just thought I'd drop by your new thread! ;)
:rose:
tigerjen

OK, from the baker side of me...;)

Fresh Strawberry Pie

With strawberry season upon us what more fitting than strawberry pie. You can make a great fresh peach pie using this same recipe. Just substitute peaches for strawberries and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the peach glaze after it thickens and becomes clear…:)

2 pints fresh strawberries
¾ cup of water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons on cornstarch
1 cup of sugar
1 9-inch baked pie shell (I prefer Keeblers chocolate
cook shell)
1 cup of whipped cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar

Wash and hull the strawberries. Measure 1 cup of berries for the glaze and mash them or puree them in a blender. Pour into a medium sauce pan. Add water and lemon juice.

Over a medium heat bring the fruit mixture to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix cornstarch with the sugar and add to the cooking fruit mixture. Cook until the mixture thickens and becomes clear. Allow to cool slightly.

Slice in half the remainder of the strawberries and place in the into the baked pie shell. Pour the strawberry sauce over the strawberries and chill. Add the vanilla extract to the whipping cream. Using an electric mixer beat the whipping cream until it forms peaks. Cover the top of the pie with the whipped cream and form small peaks. Sprinkle the top confectioner’s sugar onto the whipped cream topping.

That sounds absolutely yummy!! I'm printing it out and gonna try it.

Thank you Jaded1

:D

I grill over a wood fire most nights from now until winter. Will be following this with much interest. Seafood, chicken, meat & veggies.

Back