What's for dinner?

Half a can of Campbells Well Yes beef soup, a spoonful of peanut butter and some chocolate chips. It was that kind of night.
 
Santa Maria-style BBQ and a nutty kale salad with feta and ginger.

And a tall glass of wine, the first in much too long.

Thanks for the clearance, doc.
_____

PS: Midnight snack, canned chicken tamales and a jalapeño pepper.
 
Last edited:
Last night was chicken noodle soup, potatoes carrots celery oregano and parsley fresh from my freezer. Thanks to the advise of my chief culinary advisor MagicaPracticia! She told me how to freeze spices.
 
Yesterday was one of those damn drive-four-hours, wait-two-hours-for-doctor, shop-CostCo-anyway days. The cardio-electro-physiologist wasn't encouraging. So dinner, delayed by exhaustion, was a souped-up little frozen pizza and a dark Demon IPA.

Tonight will be better. The last of the Santa Maria-style BBQ, small baked potato, kale salad, and some random red wine from nearby Shenandoah Valley. That's the promise. And a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream to finish. Yum.
 
Lunch was better than dinner will be - Turkey meatloaf made with sautéed celery and onion, sage and thyme, and roasted acorn squash plus apple slices.
 
Yesterday the savory juices left in the crockpot by a seasoned roast were joined by various beans, chopped carrots, diced tomatoes, chicken-apple sausages, and dried mushrooms, for a *different* chili. Today that glop was ready. And after another tough day, we were ready for an easy meal. Some cheddar on top, kale salad on the side, Damnation IPA for lubrication, and the evening was good.
 
sheet pan dinner:
chicken thighs brushed with olive oil and tossed to coat with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder... joined by purple, yellow, and red seasoned little potatoes and diced onion. near the end of cooking, green beans were added. small salad on the side.

a rare dessert night:
a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate icing bought at the local bakery.
 
Potentiated pizza washed down by a damn fine bloody wine.

EDIT: That was last night. Tonight it's microwave popcorn and category 5 beer.

(Lunch was large and healthier.)
 
Last edited:
What are we all making for Christmas dinner?

What are we all making for Christmas dinner?

On Christmas Day I'm going over to a big family dinner, I might make duck from scratch or I might just bring a store bought platter.
 
sheet pan dinner:
chicken thighs brushed with olive oil and tossed to coat with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder... joined by purple, yellow, and red seasoned little potatoes and diced onion. near the end of cooking, green beans were added. small salad on the side.

a rare dessert night:
a slice of chocolate cake with chocolate icing bought at the local bakery.

Goat not coat right?
 
If a sudden blizzard knocks out power, the family will carry bottles of wine to the local Chinese restaurant and pig out on their cooking, as we did some years back. That was a memorable event.

Otherwise, we'll provide lascivious turkey meatballs, my signature veggies sautéed in tangy oils, and exotic macaroons, for the get-together at the in-laws' McMansion. Crystal will sparkle. Snacks will flow. Dietary restrictions will be observed: label snacks and dishes for the lactose-intolerant, the garlic- and mushroom-adverse, the no-red-meat-er, etc. It's a dietary maze.

That's the XMas Eve dinner. Tonight portends salmon burgers and kale salad.
 
Christmas Eve dinner will be a traditional white fish fillet, baked, with baked french fries and a green salad. Debating also offering crab rangoon and veggie eggrolls or saving them for new years. Dessert will be some eggnog and a Polish nut roll called buchta.
 
Christmas dinner will be at my brother's house. Baked ham, mashed potatoes, a veggie and cranberry sauce. I'm bringing the traditional (in our family) sauerkraut and pork, and sweet potato casserole.

Tonight, I'm having spareribs and baked potato. And wine.
 
Filet Mignon, salmon steaks, asparagus and other stuff...and wine.
 
Back
Top