Where have all the challenges gone

AlwaysHungry

Literotica Guru
I haven't been around here much, but I do check in periodically to see whether there are new challenges by the usual suspects, and I'm not seeing them. It seems like we ran a couple of years there with continuous new challenges, ever since I joined in ought 16. Then we ran out of gas -- or did we? Did I miss some?

I haven't been around here much, but I do check in periodically to see whether there are new challenges by the usual suspects, and I'm not seeing them. It seems like we ran a couple of years there with continuous new challenges, ever since I joined in ought 16. Then we ran out of gas -- or did we? Did I miss some?
I know I'm not posting as often as I once did so if all of us have been taking breathers from the forum, and not writing challenges like we did last year it stands to reason that those few, who do take charge while we're off doing other things, would soon burn out. And do so even faster as the participation drops off.

It's fatiguing and daunting sometimes to run every challenge on the board.

At least that's my logic behind what's going on over here.

Almost all

the great poets have died

I think what Champ said rings true. The kind of challenges we were doing--blind with name guessing--are a lot of work. Also I personally am not so interested in challenges where guessing who wrote what seems at least as important as the actual poems. No offense intended to those who enjoy them, just my opinion. :heart:

There are plenty of ongoing challenges on the forum, but if anyone has ideas for new ones go for it!

Hey, nice to see you folks again. Angeline, I don't think the guessing is so central to the experience. That's just the socializing, getting to know one another, which I enjoy. I miss my PF&D buddies.

I've been ill, still am although I'm better than I was but I don't know that I could yet take on running a challenge but I could possibly join in one run by someone one else.
JCSTREET saying the good poets have all died I think is a bit mean and I'd take offence at what it implies if the Morphine didn't make me too tired!
I've started writing again, albeit just American sentences, but I always was a one for less saying more. Hey perhaps that's the challenge we need, who can write the shortest amusing poem incorporating a certain theme :)

Hey, nice to see you folks again. Angeline, I don't think the guessing is so central to the experience. That's just the socializing, getting to know one another, which I enjoy. I miss my PF&D buddies.

I'm glad you're here! :rose:

I've been ill, still am although I'm better than I was but I don't know that I could yet take on running a challenge but I could possibly join in one run by someone one else.
JCSTREET saying the good poets have all died I think is a bit mean and I'd take offence at what it implies if the Morphine didn't make me too tired!
I've started writing again, albeit just American sentences, but I always was a one for less saying more. Hey perhaps that's the challenge we need, who can write the shortest amusing poem incorporating a certain theme :)

Like you my chronic health issues have kept me from being more active here. It's hard for me to predict from day to day how well I'll feel. I do keep an eye on the forum (in case we get spammed or trolled), and lately I've felt better able to actually write stuff. It's not much but it's a start!

And JC there are plenty of really good poets who still post here. Most have not been active much of late, but it looks like that may be turning around. :rose:

Not that im much of a poet but somewhere along the way I went and politicized my mentality and im stuck with semi political ranting diatribes that arent worth wiping your ass with. Its a sad sorry state of affairs for myself and all those that may read it wincing at the lack of subtltey, metaphor, melody, rhyme or anything actiually resembling poetic thought or technique...... "sigh" hope it passes soon its be a shame to be stuck grinding words like mortar and pestle grinding glass to sprinkle in the air and inhale.

the great poets have died

As an undead and definitely ungreat poet/scribbler, I too have notice the ebb and flow of challenges but attributed it to the season, for those of us in the Northern hemisphere, March really is the cruelest month.

Although there are times when And some I just can't get involved in a contest, at other times they are a kickstart to get me out of a funk. Personally I like the indefinite challenges such as the 007 and 30 in 30 which enforce an element of self-discipline or those such as the 5 senses and Tzara's Bouts-Rimés Challenge which require you to work with words given by others.

I'm less keen on the defined term challenges with an author guessing game incorporated but find them useful as they often force me to work in another form (which for me is anything that rhymes). Further as Champs and others have noted they are a lot more work for the coordinator.

But each to their own and it is good to see both new, semi-regular and resurrected fossil authors all contribution at times.

Last edited:

I've moved on, primarily to that other place where I co-direct its Critique Group.

And am currently co-hosting and participating in my second NaPo/GloProWriMo challenge throughout the entire month of April. Though this year I resigned to just writing the standard 30 poems, instead of 150 like last year.

I've also began drawing again, in part to raise money to care for my 65+ cats.

And I fell in Love.

Needless to say, I have very little free time.

* waves to everybody *

Nobody wants challenges now, that's the first time I've had to cancel one. Being totally ignored is a nasty feeling and makes me question whether I should stay here at all. :(

Nobody wants challenges now, that's the first time I've had to cancel one. Being totally ignored is a nasty feeling and makes me question whether I should stay here at all. :(

Sucks, doesn't it?

Why do you think I hadn't posted here for almost a year?

I started a NaPoWriMo thread last year that anyone could have participated in. A few people chimed in, then resurrected older 30/30 threads to play in. Sheesh.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Why do you think I hadn't posted here for almost a year?

I started a NaPoWriMo thread last year that anyone could have participated in. A few people chimed in, then resurrected older 30/30 threads to play in. Sheesh.

I miss your sense of humour, do you remember AH's thread about a band name? You had me in stitches. :D I for one though never intend to get involved in NaPoWriMo, it requires far too much commitment especially as I've been in and out of a hospital that doesn't have public Wifi.

I miss your sense of humour, do you remember AH's thread about a band name? You had me in stitches. :D I for one though never intend to get involved in NaPoWriMo, it requires far too much commitment especially as I've been in and out of a hospital that doesn't have public Wifi.

Bless you and I hope your health improves, UYS.

Well, I never issued a chalenge and didn't expect anyone to participate ... or keep up with me - afterall, I did write 150 poems instead of 30. But when I saw other 30/30 threads resurrected in response, I was like ..... damn.

The DB challenges prior to that had minimal activity, while as stretched thin as I was, I still tried to critique every entry. The spirit of poetry and comradery had already been shriveling up into the size of a prune here at Lit.

I miss being here - it was fun while it lasted. :)

Bless you and I hope your health improves, UYS.

Well, I never issued a chalenge and didn't expect anyone to participate ... or keep up with me - afterall, I did write 150 poems instead of 30. But when I saw other 30/30 threads resurrected in response, I was like ..... damn.

The DB challenges prior to that had minimal activity, while as stretched thin as I was, I still tried to critique every entry. The spirit of poetry and comradery had already been shriveling up into the size of a prune here at Lit.

I miss being here - it was fun while it lasted. :)

Well fight for it then!! I've never seen you as being one of the herd. I'm certainly not! I've fought before for this place to stay alive and there's been troubles here before that you couldn't dream up and we came through them. I remember the time when this forum was buzzing long before you found it. I've been commenting in New Poems, inviting people in. I hope they come.

Back