Something useful to do post-Christmas ... feed a refugee

KimGordon67

Rampant feminist
So this is pretty random, even for me (and hopefully it doesn't break some Lit rule that I don't know about) ... but a while back, one or two people I vaguely know, along with a bunch of other people, set up a kitchen in the Jungle refugee camp in Calais (click here if you want to know more about the Jungle)
The area is still 'home' to a huge number of refugees, and the kitchen continues to operate. They're pretty much only funded by donations, and obviously at this time of year it's especially crucial to be getting hot meals out there. I post their donation page in various social media places every now then ... today it's Lit's turn! Click here for the kitchen's donation page.
I remain in pretty constant awe of the work these guys are doing, starting with pretty much nothing but care for people (including a heap of children) who need feeding.

Sorry. No.

The refugees in Calais and elsewhere on the French coast are trying to get into the UK illegally. They have the right to apply for asylum in France but refuse to. They only need food because they refuse to register in France.

They are a real threat to truckers travelling to the UK. If one of the refugees is found in or on a truck the driver is fined £2,500 for each refugee. Some of the refugees have used extreme violence to try to stop truckers.

They have cost the communities of Northern France significant amounts of money and the UK has spent millions of pounds to protect the Port of Calais and the Eurotunnel terminal in France against violent incursions.

If they want asylum? Register as refugees. They won't because they won't admit their identities. The UN agreement on refugees requires them to register in the first safe country they reach. That could be Turkey, or Italy, or Greece. They are exploited by gangs who take substantial bribes to give the refugees access to trucks.

The refugees who really need help are those stuck on Italian and Greek islands where the camps are overcrowded and underresourced. Those in Calais and Northern France have opportunities that they refuse to access because they want to get into the UK. Those in Italy and Greece don't have the options that the refugees in France have.

Why do they want to get to the UK? The UK is one of the few countries in Europe that does not have compulsory identity cards and allows people to work without adequate checks on identity. Many of the refugees in Northern France dare not admit their real identities. Why not? Because some are economic migrants, NOT refugees. Some few have significant criminal records in their own countries. If they can get to the UK they can disappear into a new identity.

The UK has already taken millions of people from outside Europe. Our infrastructure can't cope with the numbers already arriving legally.

Sorry. No.

The refugees in Calais and elsewhere on the French coast are trying to get into the UK illegally. They have the right to apply for asylum in France but refuse to. They only need food because they refuse to register in France.

They are a real threat to truckers travelling to the UK. If one of the refugees is found in or on a truck the driver is fined £2,500 for each refugee. Some of the refugees have used extreme violence to try to stop truckers.

They have cost the communities of Northern France significant amounts of money and the UK has spent millions of pounds to protect the Port of Calais and the Eurotunnel terminal in France against violent incursions.

If they want asylum? Register as refugees. They won't because they won't admit their identities. The UN agreement on refugees requires them to register in the first safe country they reach. That could be Turkey, or Italy, or Greece. They are exploited by gangs who take substantial bribes to give the refugees access to trucks.

The refugees who really need help are those stuck on Italian and Greek islands where the camps are overcrowded and underresourced. Those in Calais and Northern France have opportunities that they refuse to access because they want to get into the UK. Those in Italy and Greece don't have the options that the refugees in France have.

Why do they want to get to the UK? The UK is one of the few countries in Europe that does not have compulsory identity cards and allows people to work without adequate checks on identity. Many of the refugees in Northern France dare not admit their real identities. Why not? Because some are economic migrants, NOT refugees. Some few have significant criminal records in their own countries. If they can get to the UK they can disappear into a new identity.

The UK has already taken millions of people from outside Europe. Our infrastructure can't cope with the numbers already arriving legally.

Before long they'll be the majority in your country.

Sorry. No.

There's good videos on youtube where truckers fight the immigrants.

I'm with ogg on that, and I have even harsher words for you Kim. I think you're just being PC or an ideologue.. As to the registered reffugees: they're safe and well fed. Let Western authorities take care of that, they're doing a great job.

If you really want to help someone who's genuinely in need, go to ground Zero.
Try to find out a charity that operates in those famine-striken or war stricken countries. Help the people who lacked the means to get out.

If you want to think I'm being 'PC or an ideologue', you're welcome to. It doesn't make a heap of difference to me.

I’ve got plenty of hungy citizens in my own community to feed.

I meant naiive, not PC.
You keep mentioning that you're from NZ. You guys had lots of Political reffugees from Irak or the former Yugoslavia, right?
While I have no doubt that 2/3rds were genuine, I keep asking myself: 'How could a persecuted person -I suspect that, when you're persecuted, the Govt. seizes your assets- afford a 2.000$ ticket? It might not seem That much to a Westetner, but it is to them. Same goes for those who had the means to pay theor way to Europe .

So because of that, I maintain a skeptical attitude. Yes, some are genuine reffugees, others are economic migrants who saw an opportunity (I can't blame them, tbh).

And while the Left keep doing the Kumbaya about thise who managed to get out and are in a better position, they keep forgetting about those who are stuck in those Hellholes.

If you, or anyone else, doesn't want to donate, just don't. I've shared this information with plenty of people in the past who have supported this particular endeavour, and others who haven't. But not supporting it doesn't necessitate entering into a great big long debate about the 'worthiness' of refugees, or whether the actions of some mean the others shouldn't receive support.

I've worked in the refugee sector. Be as skeptical as you want. I've heard enough from the people who actually are fleeing whatever situation they're from to know that, even if half of them are 'faking' it (whatever that means), I'm more than happy for them to receive 'undeserved' support if it means that the other half who are 'genuine' get support too.

Last edited:
Sorry. No.

That’s the most racist shit ever, can’t believe you ogg.

It's just politics, a hypothetical debate as I see it,
so if I get off the board it's just because of the theoretical aspect of it.

It never occurred to me that the GB would be the best environment for the practical side of these things

Nothing in my original post suggested I was interested in entering into a political debate - I just like seeing hungry people fed, especially kids, especially in the middle of winter. (There is actually a political discussion board that's specifically for political discussions - this is the general board, so not ever single post needs to be intended to invite political debate.)

That’s the most racist shit ever, can’t believe you ogg.

Nothing racist there at all.
Most often reality is just that - reality. And what Ogg wrote is just the reality of that situation in northern France and the UK.

Most SJW's can't handle reality - it is like a PTSD episode for them, clouds the mind in rejection, and usually results in a knee-jerk reaction shouting Racist! because people have been shaken off by not wanting to be labelled.
This is changing, as more people question the rationale of accepting a label that is entirely without foundation in the meaning of the word. As this racist label is, in this case.

Nothing racist there at all.
Most often reality is just that - reality. And what Ogg wrote is just the reality of that situation in northern France and the UK.

I know.

BUTT!!!!!

Facts and reality are racist.

The UK government, charities funded by donations from the UK's public, and the UK public directly fund help for refugees in Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, and many other countries.

The people in Northern France are no longer fleeing persecution or bombs. They are hundreds of miles from any threat except from the authorities because they will NOT comply with French laws.

The UK takes in hundreds of thousands of people every year. We haven't got the houses, schools, hospitals and other infrastructure to cope. Why should we take the hundreds of people from Northern France who won't comply with the conditions to get refugee status?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40015269

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=382njADcWvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Cwk3gP2Eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syyl0gfNDRE

Last edited:
Refugees from places where the Left demands that we do not occupy with our militaries even when there is a clarion call for that, take Libya, for example. Momar was about to reestablish order, but the demand from the Left was, the dictator must go down, now the demand is, you must take in the victims of our decision or you are a racist/xenophobe. That's the insanity in this whole issue. Rather than stabilizing countries, the choice is to destabilize our own countries in the name of humanity. I would much rather be Rome than Venezuela/Cuba/North Korea.

Kim, are you out in the streets demanding that NZ take in thousands of refugees? Or do you just wish it upon Europe?

So this is pretty random, even for me (and hopefully it doesn't break some Lit rule that I don't know about) ... but a while back, one or two people I vaguely know, along with a bunch of other people, set up a kitchen in the Jungle refugee camp in Calais (click here if you want to know more about the Jungle)
The area is still 'home' to a huge number of refugees, and the kitchen continues to operate. They're pretty much only funded by donations, and obviously at this time of year it's especially crucial to be getting hot meals out there. I post their donation page in various social media places every now then ... today it's Lit's turn! Click here for the kitchen's donation page.
I remain in pretty constant awe of the work these guys are doing, starting with pretty much nothing but care for people (including a heap of children) who need feeding.

Do you get pictures of the refugee you adopt?

Kim is nothing more than the NZ version of Chipbutty; all alligator tears and allegations towards those whom do not engage in her electronic "good works. " She won't as mush as send a few worthless NZ $ for the cause. This was her sole contribution, not unlike Butters and Haiti.

If you could sponsor adopt buy a refugee from an online UN caralog, that might help people get involved.

Even if you could rent one to help out with yardwork.

I'm sorry, but wouldn't the Mexicans get outraged over someone else doing the work that Americans won't do?

Back