I like Trains





It's no wonder there were fatalities.



ap288524798674_wide-b96c858a8e90e53558b8937e7a7001b37ebb8178-s900-c85.jpg



 
Behind what curve? Running passenger service at a loss and on the taxpayers dime?

Dunno any train service in Japan or Europe - except SNCF last year - that is on loss. Net profit on Die Bahn was 1 billion in 2014.
 


Dear Jim,

We believe that combining our two great organizations will allow us to form an integrated transcontinental railroad with the scale and reach to deliver unsurpassed levels of safety and service to our customers and communities while also increasing competition and creating significant shareholder value.

We propose a 50% cash 50% stock transaction based on Friday's closing stock price for both CP and NSC in which NSC shareholders would receive $46.72 in cash and 0.348 shares of stock in a new company which would own CP and NSC. The new company would be listed on both the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges, and maintain a strong investment grade credit rating. Our proposal represents a substantial initial 23.0% premium to NSC's 45-day VWAP of $79.14.1 In addition to providing NSC shareholders with a significant cash payment, the proposed transaction will provide NSC shareholders with an opportunity for meaningful upside appreciation in the future as synergies are realized as NSC shareholders will own 41% of the new company.

Our advisors at J.P. Morgan have assisted us in valuing the newly merged company by taking into account future operating performance, synergies, expected earnings power and anticipated trading multiples. In light of the substantial synergies created by the combination, we believe that the fair value of the new company would be approximately $270.68 per share at the time of transaction closure—which is assumed to occur on December 31, 2017. As a result, NSC shareholders will receive at that time $46.72 in cash plus $94.16 in market value of the stock of the combined company which on a present value basis at the time of the anticipated announcement (March 31, 2016) is expected to represent total value of $126.18 per share—which is a 59.4% premium to NSC's 45-day VWAP of $79.14. In addition, NSC shareholders would continue to receive a dividend of $0.59 per quarter during the pendency of the regulatory review of the transaction.

______________________
1Based on CP VWAP of $191.27 CAD (exchange rate of 1.31 CAD per USD) and fully diluted share capital of 154.7 million (common stock outstanding per 10/16/2015 MD&A and options, PSU's and RSU's per 3/3/2015 10-K), NSC VWAP of $79.14 USD and fully diluted share capital of 302.7 million (common stock outstanding per 10/28/2015 10-Q and options, PSU's and RSU's per 2/11/2015 10-K), and VWAP period from 9/22/2015 to 11/6/2015.
_______________________

This proposal to NSC shareholders has the following additional potential benefits:
•Creates transcontinental rail network connecting the major industrial production and population centers across North America
•Global reach through premier ports located across the U.S. Gulf, Atlantic and Pacific North American coasts
•Integrated operations across at least 4 major rail gateways
•Enhances service offering to shippers
•Combines two premier railroads with exceptional safety records
•More than US$1.8 billion in annual operating synergies achieved over the next several years
•Substantial tax savings in addition to operating synergies
•Up to 45% pro forma EPS accretion with run-rate synergies
•Strong balance sheet, targeting mid BBB rating with approximately 4 times debt / EBITDA, and significant operating cash flow to deleverage to target leverage of 2.5 times within 2.5 years
•Collaborative Surface Transportation Board regulatory process
•Financing commitment of US$14.2 billion from J.P. Morgan Securities LLC

Moreover, as our combined network creates more comprehensive end-to-end shipment solutions for our customers while reducing congestion in key corridors such as Chicago, network capacity will expand allowing us to improve service and lower costs—which is both pro-shipper and pro-competition. A combined network will also lead to faster growth for the new entity versus what either of us would be able to achieve on our own and, importantly, would create a larger, more diversified book of business less dependent on volatile commodities such as crude oil or thermal coal.

Finally, the United States and Canada would benefit from having an end-to-end shipment solution that improves safety, reduces highway congestion, improves service, lowers cost and increases overall freight capacity (which is vital to support expanded economic growth) behind an environmentally friendly form of transportation funded exclusively with private versus public expenditures.

Certainty of consummating such an historic combination will be critical for both of us. To that end, we have worked extensively with our lead transaction counsel Simpson Thacher and our United States and Canadian regulatory counsel of Stinson Leonard Street and Bennett Jones, respectively, to confirm not only the feasibility of the proposed transaction but also our plan to ensure a smooth and expeditious review and approval process. We have also engaged the services of J.P. Morgan Securities LLC which has issued a "highly confident letter" regarding our ability to finance the proposed transaction—which will not be subject to a financing contingency attached as Exhibit A.

This proposal, which has received the unanimous support of our Board of Directors, is a non-binding expression of our current views, which remains, among other things, subject to satisfactory completion of due diligence, the negotiation, execution and delivery of mutually satisfactory definitive agreements, approval of the definitive agreements by your and our Boards of Directors, approval of the transaction by your and our shareholders, and receipt of customary regulatory approvals.

We are ready to begin working with you and your team immediately on this transformational opportunity and are prepared to commit whatever resources may be necessary to complete the proposed transaction expeditiously and in a manner which both recognizes and fairly addresses any social considerations related to the successful integration of our two great companies.



Yours sincerely,

E. Hunter Harrison
Chief Executive Officer
Canadian Pacific Railway

Andrew F. Reardon
Chairman of the Board
Canadian Pacific Railway


 
image.jpg


Coffee in the HST

I once took a long journey in the ICE in Germany. Seats are better now than 20 years before, when they were
as hard as subway seats. Now, they're leather seats, but they still feel cheap - compared to other european trains.
The train itself, though capable of running at 200 mph, had a hard time to reach 130. Only on 2 or 3 courses in Germany
it can run on fullspeed - which is a pleasure then.

I ordered a coffee, which was 2,70 Euro. It was a 0,2 l cup full of filter coffee, good quality.
I thought this is highy expensive. But later trains teached me this was cheap.



PENDOLINO00002.jpg


Like the Pendolino between Arth-Goldau and Milano. While the seats could make you feel like in a shell,
the windows were much too small for that great landscape, the Alps. The train was slow - good for
watchers and fotoshooters.

I ordered a coffee, and the clerk needed a whole lot of time to find the price list, and to finally find the
price of coffee: 3,70 Euros. Half the cup of the ICE, double the strength. Who needs coffee at 4 hours
of driving? Really unusual.



italo-overview-1.jpg


I then took the .italo train from Milano to Bologna. YES! This is high speed ! The seats in the club class
look much more impressive than they actually seat. Not bad, but not the best. The Frecciarossa seats
from Trenitalia trains are better.

But - I've got a coffee for free!

(Or, let's say, the last rest of a once great coffee machine - Italians can't do coffee very well...)


...to be continued...
 
19-21BR670Franz-Woerlitz.JPG


Fürst Franz?

How come a Bavarian knows what's next to my home even I never knew?
 
eurostar-overview-1.jpg


Coffee in the HST (pt. 2)

When people talk about luxury trains, they usually talk about slow, overexpensive vintage trains. Not
usually about HSTs. But if there was a poll, the Eurostar would make the top. I've got the luck to get
a morning Eurostar train to London from Brussels. 1st class, it was 109 Euro from Berlin, even
cheaper than booking directly at Eurostar from Brussels. Breakfast was in, and I wondered how
they'll manage to serve so much people in just a 2 hours ride. But it was perfect. Right after
departing from Brussels, everybody got a tablet with a cup (for tea or coffee), a glass (for orange
juice), butter, strawberry jam, a croissant and a roll, a yoghurt and, later, an apple. While the coffee
came a few minutes later, it was perfect made in any way, and I drank 3 cups and finished my
breakfast at real visible 300 km/h (180 mph) till the train reached Lille.

The seats of that train are wingchair like, very comfortable. I'm afraid, they'll exchange all the old
trains from France with the new ICE trains, with all their ordinary ICE seats. Not usually bad ones,
but not the class of the one I drove.


stream_img.jpg



I'v been warned that the UK train system is deprecated, but it was a surprise for me to see how
much it lags behind even former East European ones. 4 tickets for one train? Platform allocations
only 7 minutes before departing? No luggage boxes on stations? Diesel trains even on main
tracks?

But to say good things: the Diesel trains are unusually fast, about 125 mph, and the train I took to
Bristol had only 5 stops. And the cup of coffee I got was the biggest cup so far. The clerk overfilled
the cup, took a little bit in another cup, and gave me both, together with a superb chocolate
muffin, for 4,50 pounds. The coffee was _very_ light. The seats look much better on photo than
they actually seat, but that's more because of the overall density of English trains in general.
 


Does Johnny know about this?







Two types of excursions are available:

Trough Trip
Our regularly-scheduled excursion is a 3-hour trip that goes southbound through the Trough to Sycamore Bridge and back. It is approximately 35 miles round-trip.


All-Day Trip to Petersburg
On the last Saturday of every month, we offer an 8-hour trip to Petersburg. This trip is an longer version of the Trough Trip but goes further south through Moorefield and into Petersburg. (It is approximately 76 miles round-trip.)There is a layover in Petersburg, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. Passengers can enjoy the South Side Depot as well as shops and restaurants during the layover.



 
That looks fun, but it's kinda pricey. And Romney WVa is about an hour and a half from me.

I've done this ride a couple of times Cass Scenic Railroad

Shay engines:
"Invented to do the impossible..."

"...One of the Shays (Western Maryland #6) is the last one ever built and the largest still in existence, weighing more than 162 tons..."



 
CsvY6o1UAAATka7.jpg


LNG on rails to Fairbanks, next week. According to the news, this will be the first time LNG will have been carried by rail, anywhere in the world. (I don't have time to search this shit out, so I will believe the reporter)
 
CsvY6o1UAAATka7.jpg


LNG on rails to Fairbanks, next week. According to the news, this will be the first time LNG will have been carried by rail, anywhere in the world. (I don't have time to search this shit out, so I will believe the reporter)

I work as a railroad conductor. What is LNG? Liquid natural gas?
 

Close.

Liquified Natural Gas.





I have no clue about it. I'm sure thor is right. We would have been updated if something like that would be shipped by rail down here. We have extensive hazmat training. Not for handling, but for shipping.
 
I have no clue about it. I'm sure thor is right. We would have been updated if something like that would be shipped by rail down here. We have extensive hazmat training. Not for handling, but for shipping.

Nasty stuff if something goes wrong. Fairly safe as a liquid but if it leaks, vapourizes, and ignites you suddenly have a catastrophe in the making.
 
Back
Top