How do you know when to stop working on a story?

I'm surprised to read how many writers here edit while they're writing.
I edit before, during, and after creatively whacking the keyboard. That's maybe from my tech writing and editing days -- make sure it's as right as it can be, always. Writing later sections prompts me to review, with everything coherent. Then, depending on due date, let it sit a bit, and fix what went bad during the white-hot fury of composition. Sure, there's always another flaw. Now's the time to let it go.

I'm surprised to read how many writers here edit while they're writing.

I got my first real break writing for radio. Short story slots, drama slots, even documentary slots, were all down to the minute. If the slot was 23 minutes, you couldn't write 27 minutes of dialogue.

Later, I became a columnist for several publications. The target was usually 800 words, sometimes 1,500 words. And so I learned to edit as I went along. Every word had to earn its keep.

Even today (in my dotage) I currently have two commissions, both with specified word counts; one is 2,000 words, the other is between 2,300 and 2,500.

Think, write, edit. And edit again. :)

Unless you kill off all the characters, no story is every truly finished, even then a new chapter can begin with a good imagination.

Unless you kill off all the characters, no story is every truly finished, even then a new chapter can begin with a good imagination.
That is true. I've just started a story where the woman I really did meet in the street, who three years later was the inspiration for my Floating World - the Madelyn Chapters, finds and reads those stories, and recognises herself in the first scene. She then contacts Adam as the writer of those stories and says, "I'm not your Maddy, I'm my own Maddy, but are you that Adam?" All very meta, and how many layers can I get?

That is true. I've just started a story where the woman I really did meet in the street, who three years later was the inspiration for my Floating World - the Madelyn Chapters, finds and reads those stories, and recognises herself in the first scene. She then contacts Adam as the writer of those stories and says, "I'm not your Maddy, I'm my own Maddy, but are you that Adam?" All very meta, and how many layers can I get?

This is a plot thatā€™s occurred to me before, quite a few times.

Good on you for giving it a shot.

This is a plot thatā€™s occurred to me before, quite a few times.

Good on you for giving it a shot.
Navigating through the self-referential angle will be the challenge. But then, I do that a lot. Also, having some critical beta readers will come in handy - "You're doing what? Get the fuck outa here!" But so far they've said, "That should work."

I think "Avengers: End Game" proved that.

I've heard it said that no work of art is ever finished, it's just abandoned.

There are some stories I tinker with after they're done. When I get to the point where the tinkering doesn't improve it, I say "Fuck it" and publish.

What is a story? A narrative of events. What is a plot? The events that make up the story. What event is final? Galactic collapse or supernova -- but even those can support prequels.

I've heard it said that no work of art is ever finished, it's just abandoned.
And just in time. There's usually another piece to move to.

I might be ever so slightly tempted to combine a multi-parter into a novella, or to fix glaring flubs, but I've resisted so far. Sure, fixing old stuff is easier than writing new stuff. I have enough trouble right there now. More coffee!

Submitted

Took all you good advice. Ran through it one last time, and officially just pushed the bird out of the nest, or something. Assuming it gets published, and I can figure out how to make a link work, I'll post a link in case anyone's curious.

Thanks for the support and feedback.

Took all you good advice. Ran through it one last time, and officially just pushed the bird out of the nest, or something. Assuming it gets published, and I can figure out how to make a link work, I'll post a link in case anyone's curious.

Fly, little bird! Fly free!

Just paste the url into a post's text, like: http://literotica.com/s/harem-scarem

Congrats on squeezing out the first one! It's always the hardest. Now do the following:
  1. Exhale.
  2. Don't obsess over how long approval takes.
  3. Don't freakout if it's rejected. Fix and re-try.
  4. It's DONE. Now write something else.

Normally I edit as I write, and when I have reached the end I leave it for a couple of days before one final read through and then submit (and forget it!).

But I have had a Summer Lovin' contest entry finished a couple of weeks ago. I keep going back and tinkering with it because I can't submit it yet. Usually I only finish a contest entry a few days before the opening date and I submit it straight away.

I'm not sure whether the tinkering is adding anything to the story except unnecessary detail.

Just paste the url into a post's text, like: http://literotica.com/s/harem-scarem

Congrats on squeezing out the first one! It's always the hardest.

Thanks for the support. You've all been very kind.
In the interest of accuracy, this'll be #8 (assuming it gets published).
I really haven't had the "submit or tinker" paralysis with my other stories. I think it's just because this one is a different genre, where the stories seem to have particular tropes that this one doesn't. So, now I'll just have to see how it's received.

And I've got 5 or 6 in the works... :):cool:

I've got a motivational message on my computer today that's relevant from some guy called Vince Lombardi.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Don't know what Vince has done for the world, but it sounds good. šŸ˜

(Ducks for cover from the other half of the world...)
Russ

***edit***bloody autocorrect and phones...

Last edited:
I've got a motivational message on my computer today that's relevant from some guy called Vince Lombardi.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Don't know what Vince had down for the world, but it sounds good. šŸ˜

(Ducks for cover from the other half of the world...)
Russ

:D :) :D :cattail:

I stop writing when the story no longer haunts me and no one pesters me to finish it. I have an 8 chapter story I'm 7.5 chapters through which will likely never be finished. I'm kicking around 2 other story ideas which I haven't put pen to paper on, but I'm starting to flesh out the worlds. One probably isn't quite sexual enough for here though.

I've found a useful trick for stories that are almost done but not quite there is to take this approach:

1. Set it done for a couple of days.
2. Read through it three times with your editors eye.
3. The first read through look specifically at the technical aspects of writing - is there some bit of grammar or spelling that's wrong and you're just missing it?
4. The second time take a look at it from a plot perspective. Is there something about the plot that just doesn't quite make sense?
5. The third time take a look at it from a narrative flow perspective. (I usually read it out loud at this point).

When the answer to all of the above is yes, then let the story go free.

On this particular type of readers block I find it's usually something in either the plot that is missing, some thread either not started with a smooth transition or some thread left unclosed unintentionally. The second most common thing I run into is the lack of a smooth narrative flow, usually caused by writing at different times and different narrative styles.

Back