Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

No, but this is great! This is exactly what an event like this should be: encouraging, affirming, tutorial, and entertaining to boot. I’m proud of all you rookies stepping out.
Hear, hear. I can say I'm quite surprised at the ratio, considering it only coalesced over the last 3 days.

9 of 18 known submitted stories are either "First Time for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Category" or "First Story Ever." 50% If someone had asked me at the start of this, I might have slid 40-60 (if 10+ stories) or 30-70 (if less than 10).

It's actually made the Support Thread very interesting, geeks reaching each other "across the aisle" from more familiar territories, so to speak. :D As you said, affirming, encouraging, and not just the same 20 people.

And I’m nervous, too: my output here is fun for me to write and it gets received well enough, but this is my very first foray into SF here. I hope it’ll get marginally accepted, but even if it doesn’t it was a shitload of fun.
I can't even guess since I haven't read it and yours is one of the "edgier" descriptions, ;) But the part I put in bold is the most important thing. Some of the most fun I have writing are the head-trip stories--which typically don't score high but have their appreciative readers nonetheless.

You and me both, Voboy. I have a half dozen little stroke stories to my credit, but this is my first Sci-Fi and the most ambitious thing I've written to date. The reaction is sort of going to determine if I take another shot at a "real" story, or if I should just stick to smut.
I can't promise anything specific, Loqui, and truly, you go on writing what offers that needed pull for you. But the ability/potential to branch out and scale up the scope if you want to is clearly there. I've already recommended your Geek Pride story to someone who I think would enjoy it. I'd love to hear what he thinks (but will have to be patient; his days are kind of crammed like mine).

I also began "Dancing Naked in the Rain" earlier today and I look forward to continuing that when I can read a bit slower and not be hunched in an uncomfortable chair. :D

Just an FYI... I've started with the sequel to my Geek Pride Day story. The bug has already bitten me again, and bitten hard. *sigh*

I wanted to go an a vacation, damn it!

Just an FYI... I've started with the sequel to my Geek Pride Day story. The bug has already bitten me again, and bitten hard. *sigh*
Lol. Me too, lots of ideas for a sequel, and the current yarn is set up for it. But I refuse to allow myself to write anything until I finish my Stupid Big Thing, which actually had its first birthday last week...

I find it interesting that this event has inspired so many people to submit their first stories to the site — I am curious as to why... what was it about this particular genre that inspired so many of us as opposed to any other Literotica event or contest?

For my own part, I have been writing a fantasy novel for some time now, and was planning on leaving the rather racier aspects of my main character’s exploits out, and the other day when I saw the deadline for submission looming, I had a sudden flash of story inspiration and thought, “Why the hell not?”

For me it was also a perfect storm. I stumbled on this site in December 2017. I was on a business trip, looking for something entertaining on the web. After reading a few stories, I thought "why not write one" . I wrote a story combining two separate, unrelated incidents from my recent flight into a story. That was done by the New Year. That story spun into eight parts. I'm stuck on how to finish the larger story, so it's sitting idle for now.

While I wrote, I'd jot ideas at the bottom of the last page of the file. One came to me over the winter, while watching StarTrek Discovery. I just wrote "Tilley". The story was about 2/3 complete when I saw the Geek Pride notice.

Assuming this gets published (and I did email Laurel), and the story doesn't get completely trashed, I now have eleven complete stories, with numbers twelve and thirteen in progress and an idea for a sequel to my Geek Pride story.

I'm very thankful for the push. Even if I don't make the final cut, I am looking forward to reading the submissions.

One more sleep!

Ok, all my fault. I didn't put Geek Pride in the Notes field. I put it in the title. Laurel was very helpful.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

TANSTAAFL58

I wanted to go an a vacation, damn it!

I was feeling excited yesterday too. I (partially) wake up early like 4 am and there's an idea running through my head. It spins out into the full plot while I'm half asleep and when I get up, I write. Yesterday I was 5300 words into a new one before I shut it down. It's a new story, not a sequel. This one would fit more in romance or maybe even LW (if I want the shit and abuse)

And that brings up another thought. I've been reluctant to post stories here because of the ugly comments that writers get. I have to admit I'm guilty of making those comments too.

It's made me wonder about using places like Amazon or others. I don't mind taking shit if I have their money in my pocket. But to take it for free, particularly from the anons....

So how have you other authors fared? Have any of you done things like that? Made money?

I was feeling excited yesterday too. I (partially) wake up early like 4 am and there's an idea running through my head. It spins out into the full plot while I'm half asleep and when I get up, I write. Yesterday I was 5300 words into a new one before I shut it down. It's a new story, not a sequel. This one would fit more in romance or maybe even LW (if I want the shit and abuse)

And that brings up another thought. I've been reluctant to post stories here because of the ugly comments that writers get. I have to admit I'm guilty of making those comments too.

It's made me wonder about using places like Amazon or others. I don't mind taking shit if I have their money in my pocket. But to take it for free, particularly from the anons....

So how have you other authors fared? Have any of you done things like that? Made money?

I'm sort of curious -- if you don't like getting ugly comments, why would you give them to other authors? There's always a way to offer criticism of a story that is civil and constructive rather than ugly.

I've never made a dime off any story, or tried to. I think very few authors here make very much, but others would know more about that.

You might want to have a better understanding of what the Romance category is about. Something that might fit in LW will certainly not fit in Romance.

I've had very few ugly comments, but I don't post in LW.

I'm not self-published and I'm not very tempted to be self-published. There are authors here who do that, but it sounds like quite a bit of work for very little gain.

I'm not self-published and I'm not very tempted to be self-published. There are authors here who do that, but it sounds like quite a bit of work for very little gain.

I've done it with something I did for NaNoWriMo, and it was less work than I expected. There was, however, very little gain other than the ability to call myself a published writer.

I'm sort of curious -- if you don't like getting ugly comments, why would you give them to other authors? There's always a way to offer criticism of a story that is civil and constructive rather than ugly.

Perhaps I shouldn't have raised this on this thread. I don't want to hijack it. I should have started a new one.

Trolls - LW tends to be very harsh on certain activities like outright gay. There is a cadre of writers here who delight in trolling the category under new profiles. Also comes from outside (new author)
Category Hoppers, especially LW where they look to build readership. Commonly outright gay stories or BDSM are the worst offenders.
Stolen stories, having been here almost since the beginning I've read thousands of them and when I know I've read it before I'll hunt it down and report it. And yes flame the asshole.
Illiterate, there are those who clearly spent their time in school doing anything but learning. Then decide they're a writer.
New authors who don't bother to read the category description. Eg loving wives = romance. NOT

Part of the problem is the way the stories are published. If the tags were at the top of the page you could get a better idea of the content and not waste time reading. But having gotten into the story and finding out that it isn't a story that belongs in that category.....well those author tends to get flamed by the natives.

And after seeing thousands of the above....yeah once in a while I get testy! :)

Perhaps I shouldn't have raised this on this thread. I don't want to hijack it. I should have started a new one.

You're welcome to start a new thread in the Author's Hangout about why you post ugly flames on other writer's stories, and complain about them on your own. Please include all the accusations you made here.

You're welcome to start a new thread in the Author's Hangout about why you post ugly flames on other writer's stories, and complain about them on your own. Please include all the accusations you made here.

And there you go. Somebody feels they have to take a snide little poke at someone else.

I don't need to justify anything I do on this site unless it's the powers that be.

The subject doesn't belong on this thread and IF I FEEL LIKE RAISING IT ELSEWHERE I WILL!

Tick...
Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

No kidding. Typically, I don't finish my story on time for a contest/event, or I get it in at the last minute. Getting it done ten days in advance was a totally new experience and it's left me tapping my heels and drumming my fingers.

On the off chance I get snarled at by everyone...

Pipe down kids. Lets be nice towards each other at least until the event is over.

After that, feel free to claw your eyes out. I'll happily referee if you want.

On the off chance I get snarled at by everyone...

Pipe down kids. Lets be nice towards each other at least until the event is over.

After that, feel free to claw your eyes out. I'll happily referee if you want.

Meow! :)

Couldn't agree more.

No kidding. Typically, I don't finish my story on time for a contest/event, or I get it in at the last minute. Getting it done ten days in advance was a totally new experience and it's left me tapping my heels and drumming my fingers.

I was hoping to be ahead of schedule too, but ended up running so behind that I had to submit a semi-rough draft to make it in on time. Submitted the edited version as a new story the next morning so I wouldn't get bumped from the queue. If the note at the top doesn't mention being edited for your viewing pleasure, consider waiting to read until it does :eek:
*just checked and the edited version went through! So it still won't be perfect, but better than I feared :)

Last edited:
Tick...
Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

:D :D

This is so cute. And fun. I've not had a "collective launch" story before with folk I've been chatting with and beta-reading for.

This really was a good idea, PuckIt. Thank you.

I was hoping to be ahead of schedule too, but ended up running so behind that I had to submit a semi-rough draft to make it in on time. Submitted the edited version as a new story the next morning so I wouldn't get bumped from the queue. If the note at the top doesn't mention being edited for your viewing pleasure, consider waiting to read until it does :eek:
*just checked and the edited version went through! So it still won't be perfect, but better than I feared :)

Good for you :) - I'm running around in circles on mine.:eek:

Back