Ask the Mouse your lingerie questions...

>.< This is bad news for me. I could never spend that amount for bras. I do understand the long term price difference... I just don't have that kind of money to spend up front for bras. $80-$100 is just too much.

I feel your pain... I technically don't *need* anything more, but holy.crap. I haven't bought anything in... 7 months. And god knows when I'll be able to, again.

:(

Second best, if you're living in lingerie budget land, is to get a decent fitting. Go someplace like Nordstrom's and let the clerk know you just need sizing and fit advice, and really don't want to take up more than 10-15 minutes of their time. If you're honest about knowing you need to spend X, but you can't right now, *most* salesgirls will be nice about it.

Once you have advice about size and style, see what you can find online. (PM me if you need a few ideas where to look).

Of if you don't want to do that, I can size you off a (clothed) picture and answers to a few questions. (Again, PM if you like.)

I may take you up on that :)

I think I should put some money aside for lingerie. Truthfully, I would live to spend more, but I have to be responsible. Stupid responsibility! (`_´)ゞ

>.< This is bad news for me. I could never spend that amount for bras. I do understand the long term price difference... I just don't have that kind of money to spend up front for bras. $80-$100 is just too much.

Been there. No fun.

I found that if you wash them gently and quickly by hand with very gentle detergent, they'll last longer. If they are a really good fit they'll also keep better and be less prone to break and stab you in the ribs.

If you can manage to get one or two good ones, make sure you rotate it with the better ones you already have. It's tempting to wear your best one to death.

If you can find a good store, look for sales, save for the next sale. Like CM said, if you are honest about your situation, they can often be very helpful.

This can make it possible to build a little collection slowly.

I do rotate and have quite a few. The problem is, I'm in need of a whole new wardrobe. :/ We were making better money at one point and then went through a period of making very little money. During that time we cut out some much that we both lost weight.

So with no money to buy clothes and losing weight I found myself trying to get a piece here or there. Bras were the first thing I replaced because I need them. Sadly, still not making the kind of money we once did, but maybe with the possible promotion I can get a better lot of bras.

I do rotate and have quite a few. The problem is, I'm in need of a whole new wardrobe. :/ We were making better money at one point and then went through a period of making very little money. During that time we cut out some much that we both lost weight.

So with no money to buy clothes and losing weight I found myself trying to get a piece here or there. Bras were the first thing I replaced because I need them. Sadly, still not making the kind of money we once did, but maybe with the possible promotion I can get a better lot of bras.

My best advice is to make a plan.

Go through your current things and make a "useable", "about to die" and "throw away" pile.

Go ahead and throw away the stuff that deserves a decent burial.
Make the "about to die" things your "backup" wardrobe.
Count what's left [wearable].

If the wearable stuff is still structurally sound, but it's a weight issue - talk to a seamstress about tightening up the back band however many inches you need. (presuming the cups still fit, at all) If you know how to sew, you can do it yourself (PM w/ questions) - try it on some of the "dead bras" first, until you feel confident.

Then make a plan. Do you have 4 "wearable" bras? Figure out how long you can "make do" with those, and use that time to set aside the $$ for one new piece. When you buy the new (properly fitting!) bra, throw away the worse of the "make do" bras, and add the new one to the wardrobe. Lather, rinse, repeat.

IMPORTANT - only wear the new bra once per week, until you've added at least 2 more new bras to your wardrobe. (minimum total of 3; 4 would be better)

It might take up to a year (or more) to build your wardrobe this way, but it means staying in budget, upgrading to a higher quality product, and protecting your investment as you do so.

Wow, being a woman is hard. This thread shows how much work we put into it.
(p_-) this doesn't even cover all the other shit we do. All this for boobs...

It's actually one of the earliest "complete" bras ever found. ;)

A new bra should fit snugly on the loosest hook (leaving two hooks free to "tighten" the back as the elastic stretches), with about 1 1/2" of ease (stretch) when it's tugged on.

The back should sit even with the under wires, low on the ribs, creating a straight line front to back. This helps the back band stay in place (because it sits on the narrowest part of the ribcage).

When the back band starts to stretch out and ride up, tighten the bra to the middle hook. When it happens again, tighten up to the tightest hook.

At that point, you have two options - take the bra to a seamstress to have the back altered down 2", or plan on replacing the bra as soon as the back starts to ride up again.

Wow! Thank you for this. Here I thought the 3 adjusting sizes were to make them more universal for sizing in general at time of purchase. I usually ended up with the tightest hook fitting snugly to be the "best fit" and never thought much about it.
:rose:

Last edited:
This thread makes me love my small boobs even more (which I hated until I was in my 30s)

While sometimes I have resented them, for the most part, I've always been very thankful for my small boobs. Watching women with large breasts try to sit a horse's trot without getting a black eye and/or have to wear 3 sports bras pretty quickly teaches you as a little girl to be thankful for what genetics DIDN'T give you!

While sometimes I have resented them, for the most part, I've always been very thankful for my small boobs. Watching women with large breasts try to sit a horse's trot without getting a black eye and/or have to wear 3 sports bras pretty quickly teaches you as a little girl to be thankful for what genetics DIDN'T give you!

(Not to derail the thread) but another plus, you get to be my age and they're still as perky as teenage boobies :D

Ah, that reminds me:
What is wrong with the creators of sports bras?
Is it possible to find a good sports bra that gives supports instead of crushing and flattening into uniboob and comes in larger cup sizes, without going up in band size?

Ah, that reminds me:
Is it possible to find a good sports bra that gives supports instead of crushing and flattening into uniboob and comes in larger cup sizes, without going up in band size?

Yes. I'd like to find one good sport bra, too. I hate them. :mad:

What do you think of girdles or spanks?

With menopause I'm getting rolls and my tummy looks at least a trimester along. Help!

:eek:

This was one reason that I was very glad to ride gaited horses back in the day. ;)

This thread makes me love my small boobs even more (which I hated until I was in my 30s)

Yup. Although small doesn't always mean easier to size. Sometimes (often) I end up spending more, because I'm smaller busted. :rolleyes:

Ah, that reminds me:

Yes. I'd like to find one good sport bra, too. I hate them. :mad:

Sports bras should ALWAYS be bra sized. Do NOT for the love of god wear anything that is small, medium, large, extra large, or that you can pull over your head. Don't wear two or three bras, thinking the compression will help. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Breast tissue is comprised of fat and milk ducts, held in place by ligaments running from the nipple, up the chest wall to the shoulder. During physical exertion, breast tissue can move a full 8" (up, down, side to side) - causing ligament damage, leading to sagging.

Compression (smashing everything into the chest wall) isn't any better. Not only does it not prevent ligament damage (everything still moves), but it also contributes to soft (fatty) tissue atrophy - making the breast tissue softer, saggier, and "training" it to spread under the arms instead of staying on the front of the chest wall.

Sad Panda. :(

So. Getting FITTED for a sports bra is (IMO) often even more important than everyday bras.

I wear a non-underwire sports bra by Anita. It goes up to an H cup, and I believe band sizes in 32 - 42. I recommend it for everything from pilates and yoga to marathons.

If you want something more substantial, with an underwire, Freya also makes a great sports bra. Their sizing starts at 28D and goes up to a 38H.

The issue with Freya, is that it's a UK company, which means it runs full in the cup. Freya also has "half sizing" D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H. It's also not terribly uncommon to realize that if you wear a G in a non-sports bra, you might wear an F or FF in Freya.

What do you think of girdles or spanks?

With menopause I'm getting rolls and my tummy looks at least a trimester along. Help!

:eek:

There are so many more options than "Spanx". Spanx has become the generic term for shape wear. My biggest complaint is that it's so difficult to find *pretty* shape wear. :rolleyes:

What you buy, depends on what you want and need.

Do you prefer shape wear that is "top down" or "bottom up"?
Light, medium or heavy control?
How important is all day comfort?

My best advice is to grab one outfit that represents what you'd normally wear with shape wear, and one outfit that is for special occasions. Wear a thong (Hanky Panky or Commando will be the least likely to get in the way), and devote and hour or two of trying on shape wear at someplace like Nordstroms.

Try on (light, medium, heavy control)

High waist bike shorts
High waist thong
High waist pantie
High waist skort
High waist half slip

Full slip (underbust, and not)

Underbust camisole
Regular camisole

Brands to look for -

* Spanx (usually the largest selection, but often confusing because there are so many options) - also makes hosiery
* Commando (most Commando will be medium control) - also makes *fantastic* hosiery
* YummieTummie.

Some bra companies also make control - Chantelle has a bike short and pantie style that is the firmest control piece I've ever dealt with. Awesome under evening dresses.

Wacoal also does control, but I've not been very impressed with it.

Wolford's makes some fantastic seamless control pieces... but you're usually looking at $100+ per piece. (also fantastic hosiery)

For budgeting purposes, expect to drop $40-ish to $135 on shape wear, depending on the brand and what you want to accomplish.

:)

Oops, LOL.

Actually, I would give my right arm for C-cups, but that's neither here nor there. :p

If you ever do find a magical way to do that, without giving up your right arm, don't go that small. It'll throw your proportions all to hell, and you won't be happy. ;)

If you ever do find a magical way to do that, without giving up your right arm, don't go that small. It'll throw your proportions all to hell, and you won't be happy. ;)

I should've probably said that I would love to have C-cups, assuming I could also lose half my body weight as well. ;)

I've never been interested in being female, but this thread has reinforced my gratitude that I was born male.

Sports bras should ALWAYS be bra sized. Do NOT for the love of god wear anything that is small, medium, large, extra large, or that you can pull over your head. Don't wear two or three bras, thinking the compression will help. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Breast tissue is comprised of fat and milk ducts, held in place by ligaments running from the nipple, up the chest wall to the shoulder. During physical exertion, breast tissue can move a full 8" (up, down, side to side) - causing ligament damage, leading to sagging.

Compression (smashing everything into the chest wall) isn't any better. Not only does it not prevent ligament damage (everything still moves), but it also contributes to soft (fatty) tissue atrophy - making the breast tissue softer, saggier, and "training" it to spread under the arms instead of staying on the front of the chest wall.

Sad Panda. :(

So. Getting FITTED for a sports bra is (IMO) often even more important than everyday bras.

I wear a non-underwire sports bra by Anita. It goes up to an H cup, and I believe band sizes in 32 - 42. I recommend it for everything from pilates and yoga to marathons.

If you want something more substantial, with an underwire, Freya also makes a great sports bra. Their sizing starts at 28D and goes up to a 38H.

The issue with Freya, is that it's a UK company, which means it runs full in the cup. Freya also has "half sizing" D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H. It's also not terribly uncommon to realize that if you wear a G in a non-sports bra, you might wear an F or FF in Freya.

Thanks! I've usually bought sports bras with proper cup sizes, not that S, M, L sizing, but even with those I still haven't found anything that would have not made my boobs look weird and flat. I wear a lot of Freya bras, but I didn know they also carry a sports bra, it never even occured to me to look for one from them! Thanks! :)

Thank you CM!
I found a store that carries Freya, not too far from here. They also have a brand kalled Shock Absorber that seems to be a real bra.
I'll have to make it a day trip but it will be so worth it.
I have been using normal bras of the sturdiest full shaper kind I could find, but the fabric is far from ideal and neither is the placement of the shoulder straps.

When the Freya sports bra fits properly, the bridge should lay flat against the sternum (other end of the wire sitting exactly behind the breast tissue, as usual).

If it isn't *flat* against the sternum, it's still a decent enough fit if there's only a 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the sternum & the bridge. You can usually get a clean fit up to a FF; G, GG and H are more likely to have the slight gap at the bridge.

And remember to start on the loosest or second hook, just like you would an everyday bra, so there's room to firm things up as the material stretches.

lol i've never bought a sports bra period...I'm still using the free NIKE ones I got as a college athlete.

I feel like CM would be quite exasperated by my underwear wardrobe >_>

Back