The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

1.) Did you like the book overall or not?

Most excellent.

2.) Do you feel it portraits BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

It had maybe more of what I think I might like but still not to sure about how eclectic my tastes will be. I did like the simple fact that Phedre seems to a slave to her desires for pain.

3.) Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

There was but a little sex described in the book and while sex scenes are nice to read if written right its absence can be just as nice too.

4.) Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

I thought the intrigue and the deeper story was most rewarding especially when you find out who the mastermind is. Even the lessor character helped to drive the story on to its conclusion.

5.) Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

Doing so now.

6.) What did you like best about this selection?

I liked how Carey decided to gift Phedre with the desire for pain just for pains sake at times and how she shows us this when she has her first client.

7.) What did you like the least?

That in my opinion you could not figure how who the real puppetmaster was.

8.) How would you have changed the story?

No.

Now for the bonus question.

Do you think that disregarding Kushiel's touch on Phedre's life that she and Melisande could be yen/yang characters.

I say yes, maybe this is a bit simplistic. At the core of both of these ladies you see their desire to achieve some lofty goals. Phedre and Melisande both seem to inspire others to do their bidding. Though its only when you see where their hearts and motives lie that you see just how much a paradox to each other are really are.

If you need to see more of how they are flipsides of the same coin just look how Melisande seems to be able to reach to Phedre's core and is the only one that go her signale. Or how Melisande on one of the Longest Nights how she led her pet Phedre around on a leash.

Absolutely loved it!

2.) Do you feel it portraits BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

What BDSM (heavy on the S&M in this case) is in the book I do believe is positive. It's made clear that Phedre enjoys her patrons and their more violent attentions however I wouldn't really call it realistic since she is considered "God -touched" and by Kushiel and even she feels his presence from time to time with the more violent of her patrons.

There's not really a lot of actual sex in the book. It is often implied but Carey focused more on the S&M scenes between Phedre and her patrons than the actual sex that occured afterward.

Oh yesssssss. It's engaging and well written with just enough detail to paint clear and vivid pictures for you but not so much that the story gets bogged down and choked by it.

Hehehe...I've already read all three that are currently out and dying for June to get here to get my hands on the fourth one.

It's probably one of the most well written stories I've read in a long time.

Joscelin...He's a great character but he's got a serious stick up his ass in this book that just drove me up the wall through most of it. By the end I like him better cause he'd loosened up quite a bit.

Changing it would be sacrilage!

Do you think that disregarding Kushiel's touch on Phedre's life that she and Melisande could be yen/yang characters?

O.k. I can only answer this from the position of having read all three current books and I have to say No. Granted there is a part of them that will only ever truly be touched in the deepest, most profound way, by the other but I don't think there is enough of that part of either of them to make a relationship between them sustainable. Who Melisande is and what she wants from Phedre would eventually (IMHO) crush the very spirit and intelligence that are so at the core of who Phedre is.

Honestly I see Phedre and Joscelin as truly being yin/yang to each other. They are complete opposites of each other in so many ways and yet they compliment each other and each builds on the others weaknesses and supports their strengths.

PS: Fury, the "bad lady" as you called her is named Melisande. :)

Last edited:
caela said:

Absolutely loved it!

What BDSM (heavy on the S&M in this case) is in the book I do believe is positive. It's made clear that Phedre enjoys her patrons and their more violent attentions however I wouldn't really call it realistic since she is considered "God -touched" and by Kushiel and even she feels his presence from time to time with the more violent of her patrons.

There's not really a lot of actual sex in the book. It is often implied but Carey focused more on the S&M scenes between Phedre and her patrons than the actual sex that occured afterward.

Oh yesssssss. It's engaging and well written with just enough detail to paint clear and vivid pictures for you but not so much that the story gets bogged down and choked by it.

Hehehe...I've already read all three that are currently out and dying for June to get here to get my hands on the fourth one.

It's probably one of the most well written stories I've read in a long time.

Joscelin...He's a great character but he's got a serious stick up his ass in this book that just drove me up the wall through most of it. By the end I like him better cause he'd loosened up quite a bit.

Changing it would be sacrilage!

Do you think that disregarding Kushiel's touch on Phedre's life that she and Melisande could be yen/yang characters?

O.k. I can only answer this from the position of having read all three current books and I have to say No. Granted there is a part of them that will only ever truly be touched in the deepest, most profound way, by the other but I don't think there is enough of that part of either of them to make a relationship between them sustainable. Who Melisande is and what she wants from Phedre would eventually (IMHO) crush the very spirit and intelligence that are so at the core of who Phedre is.

Honestly I see Phedre and Joscelin as truly being yin/yang to each other. They are complete opposites of each other in so many ways and yet they compliment each other and each builds on the others weaknesses and supports their strengths.

PS: Fury, the "bad lady" as you called her is named Melisande. :)

Thanks Caela!

Great responses in there! Good to know the bad lady is called Melisande but I'll no doubt forget it again. That's just the way my poor brain is. The name isn't the easiest for me to remember. I think both of the ladies prefer men though they are clearly drawn to one another. Melisande did let Phedre live after all, when perhaps it was foolish to do so.

I actually think and hope to see in the future, Joscelin's darker side come out. I think he has a lot of anger in him that could be channeled through D/s in a way that is pleasing to Phedre. I think he'd have a HARD time dealing with the fact that he has that side but I suspect that as thier relationship grows he will have to face himself and they will please each other more and more. Btw, if he is that good with two short swords I sure can think of "other things" he could "make dance." *giggles*

Fury :rose:

Fury shame on you did you already return the book?? He is armed with 2 daggers for in close fighting and a sword for when he wants to kill. His only protective gear is vambraces on his forearms.

leeroy jenkins said:
Fury shame on you did you already return the book?? He is armed with 2 daggers for in close fighting and a sword for when he wants to kill. His only protective gear is vambraces on his forearms.

Okay, okay, so it's two shorter pointy things, geez! No I didn't return the book yet but I'm also NOT looking up such details because I don't really care about them. If they stick in my brain, that's fine, if not, *shrug.*

I don't remember mentioning "protective" gear. I'd suggest condoms but anyway . . .*c*

Oh you finished already? Show off! *L*

What can I say Fury I might flutter about but when I focus look out. Four hundred pages is like 10 hour read or so for me.

FurryFury said:
Okay, okay, so it's two shorter pointy things, geez! No I didn't return the book yet but I'm also NOT looking up such details because I don't really care about them. If they stick in my brain, that's fine, if not, *shrug.*

lol...But the daggers are important! A Cassaline always fights with just his daggers and only draws his sword to kill. The only other time their swords are in their hands are when they practice but never during combat.

I think you'll be surprised (pleasantly) at how and in what directions Juscelin and Phedre's relationship goes. I know I was. :)

Heheheh...I love giving tidbits without really saying anything.

caela said:
lol...But the daggers are important! A Cassaline always fights with just his daggers and only draws his sword to kill. The only other time their swords are in their hands are when they practice but never during combat.

I think you'll be surprised (pleasantly) at how and in what directions Juscelin and Phedre's relationship goes. I know I was. :)

Heheheh...I love giving tidbits without really saying anything.

Cool! I can't wait until I read more but I have to. *pouts*

I am woefully behind. Which book did we choose for May? :confused:

raven2 said:

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. This is the first book of the Black Jewel Trilogy. And Raven its just a 412 page paperback so its not quite as bad as the Kushiel's Dart.

I had meant to re-read Kushiel's Dart for the discussion since I first read it four years ago, but I didn't get around to it this month. I'm still planning to re-read it because I'd like to continue the series, but I have to dig it out of my book collection and that entails going through about 10 under the bed boxes full of books that are currently stacked on my patio under a piece of plywood and a dropcloth serving as a table. ;->

Also, I've become seriously hooked already on the May selection so I don't know that even if I had the book in front of me I'd be reading it as I should be. I will do my best to get it done and contribute before month's end, though. Kushiel's Dart was an excellent read and extremely rich in the world-building but right now I'm only recalling a few things and the most emotionally impacting part of the book was that I was sorry that Phaedre and Jocelin weren't more sexually compatible----although I held out hope that J would become more aligned since he'd already grown so much in the book.

-B

raven2 said:

No worries, you can catch up this month if you like! I haven't started this month's selection yet either.

bridgeburner said:
I had meant to re-read Kushiel's Dart for the discussion since I first read it four years ago, but I didn't get around to it this month. I'm still planning to re-read it because I'd like to continue the series, but I have to dig it out of my book collection and that entails going through about 10 under the bed boxes full of books that are currently stacked on my patio under a piece of plywood and a dropcloth serving as a table. ;->

Also, I've become seriously hooked already on the May selection so I don't know that even if I had the book in front of me I'd be reading it as I should be. I will do my best to get it done and contribute before month's end, though. Kushiel's Dart was an excellent read and extremely rich in the world-building but right now I'm only recalling a few things and the most emotionally impacting part of the book was that I was sorry that Phaedre and Jocelin weren't more sexually compatible----although I held out hope that J would become more aligned since he'd already grown so much in the book.

-B

Just enjoy this month's selection and discuss with us if you wish last month's from what you remember.

Well I guess both me and Ceala now have to wait for the last Kushiel book to come out. I do not concur that it is as dark as she said though as with the other two each time Phedre is found in some place that would break lessor persons. I would say more but... me thinks that Fury wants to discover it for herself, though the third book does not really start until you read page 59.

Ok so I read Personal Assets not a bad story, lots of great sex just not long enough. It took me like five hours to read and I want to last longer.

Last edited:
I loved this selection because it is so detailed but still clear. If I had actually had to refer back to the map or the three pages of characters I would not have been as happy with it. The story flowed so well that I was done with it very quickly and hungered for more!

raven2 said:

Joins you in the woefully behind line...I think I'm last..sigh. Only two more weeks and school is out. YES! *trying not to sound too happy about that* I have become such a Lit slacker.......the things I do for work. :eek:

Hisbabydoll26 said:
Joins you in the woefully behind line...I think I'm last..sigh. Only two more weeks and school is out. YES! *trying not to sound too happy about that* I have become such a Lit slacker.......the things I do for work. :eek:

*hugs*

That should be a whole thread! A I can't wait until school is out thread would be busy I bet!

Don't worry about being behind here. You can always catch up or do the next one.

leeroy jenkins said:
Well I guess both me and Ceala now have to wait for the last Kushiel book to come out. I do not concur that it is as dark as she said though as with the other two each time Phedre is found in some place that would break lessor persons. I would say more but... me thinks that Fury wants to discover it for herself, though the third book does not really start until you read page 59.

I might have overstepped the darkness a little. The entire book isn't dark but the middle section (hehehe you know what I mean) I think is. I think even Joscelin's position there would have broken a lesser man and what Phedre and Imri go through and still come out whole...~shutting up now~

caela said:
I might have overstepped the darkness a little. The entire book isn't dark but the middle section (hehehe you know what I mean) I think is. I think even Joscelin's position there would have broken a lesser man and what Phedre and Imri go through and still come out whole...~shutting up now~

I would agree that it would break a lessor man, but as I see it from the slavery to book three's hell both Phedre and Joscelin have grown beyond where they started. So if that was the first hell they would have faced then both of them would have broken under the strain but as it is they both endured with some lingering issues.

Okay, I just stumbled into this thread but I can't help but barge into this discussion.

I read Kushiel's Dart when it was new, and have read the rest of the series as well. This is an amazing book, surpassed only by the quality of the two books that follow in the series.

As for the BDSM angle, or more specifically S & M, what I like is the way that even Phedre realises that she is unique in her ability to find complete pleasure in pain, especially when the novel deals (however briefly) with members of the house Valerian (who submit). Some of the adepts of the house seem to dislike the situation they're stuck in - clearly showing that some don't like pain, but even for those who enjoy it, many of them seem to prefer it possibly in moderation only.

I also like the way the series develops, showing that the sub often is the one with the power. Even in her earlier experiences, it is Phedre's abilities to read her clients and know what they want that make the experience pleasurable for both (at least I think this was in the first novel, it's been awhile since I read the series, and I'm bad for confusing the order of events, and what happened in each novel). If you read the rest of the books in this series it becomes more apparent if memory serves me correctly.

What truly captured my attention when reading this was the language though. Many times Carey's language seemed truly poetic, and the phrases that are scattered throughout the novels only add to the overall beauty of the series. "When Love cast me out, it was Cruelty who took pity on me." *sigh*

I fell in love with this series in the first 50 or so pages of Kushiel's Dart. For those who didn't read it because they didn't have time, or didn't like the character sheets and maps, as Fury and others have already said, don't be discouraged, this is an absolutely amazing novel!

Excellent thread you guys have going here! :rose:

Vampiric_Mirage said:
Okay, I just stumbled into this thread but I can't help but barge into this discussion.

I read Kushiel's Dart when it was new, and have read the rest of the series as well. This is an amazing book, surpassed only by the quality of the two books that follow in the series.

As for the BDSM angle, or more specifically S & M, what I like is the way that even Phedre realises that she is unique in her ability to find complete pleasure in pain, especially when the novel deals (however briefly) with members of the house Valerian (who submit). Some of the adepts of the house seem to dislike the situation they're stuck in - clearly showing that some don't like pain, but even for those who enjoy it, many of them seem to prefer it possibly in moderation only.

I also like the way the series develops, showing that the sub often is the one with the power. Even in her earlier experiences, it is Phedre's abilities to read her clients and know what they want that make the experience pleasurable for both (at least I think this was in the first novel, it's been awhile since I read the series, and I'm bad for confusing the order of events, and what happened in each novel). If you read the rest of the books in this series it becomes more apparent if memory serves me correctly.

What truly captured my attention when reading this was the language though. Many times Carey's language seemed truly poetic, and the phrases that are scattered throughout the novels only add to the overall beauty of the series. "When Love cast me out, it was Cruelty who took pity on me." *sigh*

I fell in love with this series in the first 50 or so pages of Kushiel's Dart. For those who didn't read it because they didn't have time, or didn't like the character sheets and maps, as Fury and others have already said, don't be discouraged, this is an absolutely amazing novel!

Excellent thread you guys have going here! :rose:

Welcome and thanks!

I agree about what a great book it is, due to language, story and the complexities. No, the people in the temple that devotes itself to pain mostly do NOT enjoy it the way Phedre does, I did notice that.

My question is why? What makes her the ONLY one? What makes her so special? I think these answers might come with the future books in the trilogy?

Last edited:
FurryFury said:
Welcome and thanks!

I agree about what a great book it is, due to language, story and the complexities. No, the people in the temple that devotes itself to pain mostly do NOT enjoy it the way Phedre does, I did notice that.

My question is why? What makes he the ONLY one? What makes her so special? I think these answers might come with the future books in the trilogy?

They do I think it is in book two that you see the gods decision about having someone struck by Kushiel.

leeroy jenkins said:
They do I think it is in book two that you see the gods decision about having someone struck by Kushiel.

I'm glad to hear it!

Back