96% of the Sponsors of the Fair Minimum Wage Act Don't Pay Their Interns

LJ_Reloaded

バクスター の
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Posts
21,217
march_of_tyranny.jpg


I'm just about through with both parties. The only thing that the feminist zealot drone strike-supporting Democrats have over the Corporate State "men are expendable" Traditionalist Republicans is marginally fewer men and workers will die if Democrats wipe out the Republicans.

Let's see how long it takes for them to de-evolve away that difference, too.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/8...fair-minimum-wage-act-don-t-pay-their-interns

A new study by the Employment Policies Institute (EPI) revealed that 96% of House and Senate sponsors of the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2013 don't pay their interns. The bill, purported to help lift millions of low-wage workers at a time of increasing income inequality, would raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 an hour.

Members of Congress — including the bill's authors, Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) — are getting serious flack for supporting a 40% wage hike on the private sector while their interns receive no pay.
 
Paid intership is a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. Then it's not an internship, it's a job.

An intern is supposed to tag along and learn - an interactive education, and is not or should not be expeted to perform at the level of hired staff. The problem is if an office is dependent on interns, if interns gets responsibilities, if the day-to-day business would grind to a halt without them. Then they should be called staff and get a salary.
 
Paid intership is a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. Then it's not an internship, it's a job.

An intern is supposed to tag along and learn - an interactive education, and is not or should not be expeted to perform at the level of hired staff. The problem is if an office is dependent on interns, if interns gets responsibilities, if the day-to-day business would grind to a halt without them. Then they should be called staff and get a salary.

That's sane....and thus would be rejected wholly by both parties and the american people shortly before you and your rational thoughts were labeled "commie!!" and told to fuck off.
 
Last edited:
That's sane....and thus would be rejected wholly by both parties and the american people shortly before you and your rational thoughts were labeled "commie!!" and told to fuck off.

Story of my life.
 
Paid intership is a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. Then it's not an internship, it's a job.

An intern is supposed to tag along and learn - an interactive education, and is not or should not be expeted to perform at the level of hired staff. The problem is if an office is dependent on interns, if interns gets responsibilities, if the day-to-day business would grind to a halt without them. Then they should be called staff and get a salary.
Unpaid internships have a poorer track record of leading to paid jobs than paid internships.
 
Unpaid internships have a poorer track record of leading to paid jobs than paid internships.

Unless you do them for college credit. Just for shits and giggles here are the OED definitions of "internship". You'll notice it doesn't mention anything about being paid.


Oxford English Dictionary | The definitive record of the English language

intern, adj. and n.


Pronunciation: /ɪnˈtɜːn/

Forms: Also 15–18 interne.

Etymology: < French interne (14th cent. in Littré) = Italian interno, < Latin internus inward, internal, < in adv. + -ternus suffix, as in externus, sempiternus, etc.


A. adj. (Now only poet. or arch.)





1. = internal adj. 1.



1578 J. Banister Hist. Man vii. f. 90, Euery where this Membran Pleura, is two fold..the one interne, the other externe.

1658 R. White tr. K. Digby Late Disc. Cure Wounds (1660) 89 Within a living body, such as is man's, the intern spirits do aid.

1865 L. Gidley Aletes 133 Its stubborn fibres thrill'd with some intern commotion.











2. = internal adj. 2.



1612 B. Jonson Alchemist iv. ii. sig. I2, Your Prædicaments, Substance, and Accident, Series externe and interne, with their causes Efficient, materiall, formall, finall.

1645 J. Howell Δενδρολογια (ed. 3) 3 The midland towns are most flourishing..which shews that her riches are interne and domestick.

1703 R. Neve City & Countrey Purchaser 8 In Architecture 'tis us'd to signifie an intern Support to the Superstructure.

1856 E. B. Browning Aurora Leigh viii. 344 But innermost Of the inmost, most interior of the interne, God claims his own.











3. = internal adj. 3.



1600 E. Fairfax tr. Tasso Godfrey of Bulloigne viii. xl. 167 The Soldan stroue his rage interne To satisfie with blood of Christians spild.

1645 J. Howell Δενδρολογια (ed. 3) 70 He being a Spirit ought to be serv'd in spirit, and chiefly with intern worship.

1683 E. Hooker in J. Pordage Theologia Mystica Pref. Epist. 78 O the incredibl intern exercitations and extern exertions of the veri visibl form of som Persons!






B. n. Also interne.







‘An inmate, as of a school; especially, an assistant resident physician or surgeon in a hospital, usually a student or recent graduate, acting in the absence of the attending physician or surgeon.’ (‘A recent use from French’, Cent. Dict.). Now usu., a recent medical graduate who is working under supervision in a hospital (and often living there) as part of his training, prior to entering general practice or becoming a resident. (Broadly equivalent to a houseman in Great Britain.) Also transf., used of individuals in other professions (esp. teaching) who are receiving practical experience under supervision. Chiefly U.S.Freq. pronounced with stress on first syllable.



[1699 M. Lister Journey to Paris (ed. 3) 74 Monsieur du Pes Surgeon Interne of the Hôtel-dieu.]

1879 in Webster's Amer. Dict. Eng. Lang. Suppl.

1889 Kansas City (Missouri) Times & Star 16 Oct., Convalescent women and young nurses are given too much freedom with the internes.

1890 W. James Princ. Psychol. I. x. 385 His brother, Dr. Jules Janet..was interne at the Salpétrière Hospital.

1914 M. Gerry Masks of Love 123 The young interne..had alarmed them.

1938 Amer. Speech 13 228/1 Resident ranks over intern by reason of experience, but both are medical school graduates studying in the hospital.

1955 W. Gaddis Recognitions i. i. 41 Physicians, technicians, and internes X-rayed the boy from every possible angle.

1961 J. Heller Catch-22 (1962) xviii. 175 In the morning a helpful young English intern popped in to ask him about his liver.

1963 A. Beales Educ. under Penalty i. ii. 18 In the field of lay education the loss caused by the dissolution was less than formerly supposed, since the monasteries had long ceased, most of them, to teach any but interns.

1967 Mrs. L. B. Johnson White House Diary 14 Mar. (1970) 497 One intern was giving remedial reading.

1969 Eugene (Oregon) Register-Guard 3 Dec. 1A/3 Representing Springfield teachers are Rita Castleberry, Lee Elementary School instructor; Roy Van Horn, principal at Mt. Vernon Elementary School, and Moore, who is intern teacher supervisor at Lee Elementary School.

1970 Toronto Daily Star 24 Sept. 31/6 (advt.) Broderick Crawford..gives young intern Steve Brooks some food for thought.

1972 Nature 4 Feb. 291/2 Doctor of medicine and intern of the hospitals of Lyon, in 1908 Professor Lacassagne entered the Laboratory of Histology to work under the direction of Claudius Regaud.







Derivatives









inˈternship n. the position or station of an intern; the period of such a position.



1904 Jrnl. Amer. Med. Assoc. 13 Aug. 469/2 From one to two years of what might be called practical apprenticeship is the privilege sought by the earnest [medical] student. To gain this privilege he..delays for the period of his interneship his start in the world and his establishment in his profession.

1924 Scribner's Mag. Feb. 183/1 My father, who had the practice..told me the story in professional confidence... I was at that time just finishing my internship.

1934 A. Woollcott While Rome Burns 46 The fiery young doctor, in the days of his interneship, had already tasted the experience of spending two months in the lockup.

1938 Internships & Residences in N.Y. City, 1934–7 p. xxvii, An internship is a period of service as a member of the hospital staff while residing in the hospital and receiving a period of formal education subsequent to graduation from medical school.

1948 Training of a Doctor (B.M.A.) xxxii. 127 This prescribed period of compulsory pre-registration house-appointments corresponds to the post known in America as an ‘internship’, and the period is called ‘the intern year’.

1957 Kendall & Selvin in R. K. Merton Student-Physician 155 Nearly every medical student is required to take an internship when he has completed medical school, regardless of his plans for his later career.

1968 Globe & Mail (Toronto) 17 Feb. 50 (advt.) The internship plan for the training of elementary school teachers.

1968 New Scientist 14 Nov. 388/2 One suggestion is very similar to the principle of our sandwich systems, under the more anaesthetised name of an ‘internship’.

1971 Black Scholar June 62/1 (advt.) , An individually tailored, accelerated career program which begins with a two-year internship and leads to positions of increasing responsibility in the developing countries.

1971 Nature 1 Oct. 301/1 The money will be used to establish internships in federally funded laboratories for some 420 young unemployed scientists and engineers who hold advanced degrees.
 
Paid intership is a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me. Then it's not an internship, it's a job.

An intern is supposed to tag along and learn - an interactive education, and is not or should not be expeted to perform at the level of hired staff. The problem is if an office is dependent on interns, if interns gets responsibilities, if the day-to-day business would grind to a halt without them. Then they should be called staff and get a salary.

I pay mine $55k a year, and yes, I expect him to work and I am responsible for his work, so it meticulously supervised. How else is he supposed to learn?
 
Do Unpaid Internships Lead to Jobs? Not for College Students
The common defense of the unpaid internship is that, even if the role doesn't exactly pay, it will pay off eventually in the form of a job. Turns out, the data suggests that defense is wrong, at least when it comes to college students.

For three years, the National Association of Colleges and Employers has asked graduating seniors if they've received a job offer and if they've ever had either a paid or unpaid internship. And for three years, it's reached the same conclusion: Unpaid internships don't seem to give college kids much of a leg up when it comes time to look for employment.

This year, NACE queried more than 9,200 seniors from February through the end of April. They found that 63.1 percent of students with a paid internship under their belt had received at least one job offer. But only 37 percent of former unpaid interns could say the same -- a negligible 1.8 percentage points more than students who had never interned.

Why Your Unpaid Internship Makes You Less Employable
The National Association of Colleges and Employers conducted a recent survey that questioned the correlation between internships and full employment upon graduation.The findings were astonishing. Hiring rates for those who had chosen to complete an unpaid internship (37%) were almost the same for those who had not completed any internship at all (35%). Students who had any history of a paid internship, on the other hand, were far more likely (63%) to secure employment.

What’s even more astonishing is the pay disparity between those with paid, unpaid, and no internships. Those with unpaid internships tended to take lower-paying jobs than those with no internship experience whatsoever ($35,721 and $37,087, respectively). Students with paid internships far outpaced their peers with an average $51,930 salary.
 
Back
Top