Any room for sensual and gestural

GossamerThreads

Experienced
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Posts
96
Any room for sensual and gestural?

I am a fine artist and enjoy working in the gestural medium of charcoal and doing more gestural (than photorealistic) studies with graphite. I think it is because I enjoy the subtle sensuality of shade and shadow and the importance of the lines not drawn on creating and visually communicating sensuality as much as (if not more so than) the lines that are drawn. I feel like gestural drawings better portray the wonderous subtlety, sensuality and beauty of femininity.

I am interested in thoughts from the group. Thoughts on the work, favorites, etc. -- any comments welcomed!

I would love to do drawings of others if you want to send me an image to work from.

Thoughts?

LifeDwgWork.jpg
LifeDwgWork2.jpg
LifeDwgWork3.jpg
LifeDwgWork5.jpg
LifeDwgWork6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Some reminds me the works of Egon Schiele, I'm not usually conquered by this style, by I loved them, are very interesting!
 
These are lovely! I particularly like the wash in the first piece.

Thank you so much ananda. That one was a total experiment using a stabillo pencil. I loved it and hope to do more. It was an interesting balance between having control (the lines) and losing control (when I added the water and started pushing around the shadow tones). Definitely need more practice with the technique!
 
Some reminds me the works of Egon Schiele, I'm not usually conquered by this style, by I loved them, are very interesting!

Thank you so much Shyne... I enjoy Schiele's work - he is so much more free and expressive with his figures. I hope to achieve that level of freedom some day.
 
Fine Artist, indeed. These are wonderful... gives me that, "I wanna bite it" thing that happens to some of us when we find a really cool, chocolaty-like piece of chert on the beach or somewhere. It's like, "yummy". The texture and mood of the graphite, the charcoal... I dunno. I love 'em... #6 is bubbling up to the top for my favorite... at the moment anyway. (Imagine me... were your model a man instead... :cool:)
 
The drawings are really good, I am not an artist nor I can draw. The drawings draw us into them
 
Fine Artist, indeed. These are wonderful...

Thank you pfflyer!! I totally understand. Me and an artist friend of mine have a saying where when we see something lusciously beautiful, we say we, "...just wanna lick it.". So thank you thank you!


The drawings are really good, I am not an artist nor I can draw. The drawings draw us into them

Wow. Thanks clip... what every artist hopes for, work that engages... :)
 
Thanks so much for posting these...!! They are all wonderful, my favorite is number 3.
I am an artist, too, or rather an illustrator.....I also enjoy working in charcoal, but my work tends more towards the photoreal....
 
Really good
I often find drawings so much more erotic than simple photos
Well done!

Agreed. There's something erotic about the fact that they're not 100% "real" or accurate, like a photograph is. There's something there still left to the imagination.
 
Thanks for the feedback all... it is inspiring me to pick up the charcoal and paper again. I have a stack of images to draw from. I'll post for feedback as I proceed!
 
Back
Top