Crafty Litsters show your work!

DVS, you've got some good stuff there. With your voice and keyboard work, I could imagine that you'd do some kickass work on Kansas tunes.

(That is intended as a compliment. I like Kansas a lot.)
 
Smoke and mirrors still has a way of wowing the masses. Great stuff DVS!!! Honestly!

And the fact that you wish that version of Loosing It On Chicken Dressing wasn't there is funny, because I absolutely loved it! The first part of the song (heavy on the keyboard, showing off your 40 years of keyboard experience) when it transitioned into the rest of the song (at about 59 seconds or the 1 minute mark) was great! And I especially loved how at the end it returned to those flourishy keyboard riffs to end the song. If this is what you consider the "bad" early version of this song, the newer one must be phenomenal, because I thought it was great.

You've got such a gem of a talent!
I really do appreciate what you say. I've heard the songs so many times, I hear things that others won't hear. Even the pros hear things in their songs they'd rather not hear. The reality of it is most people won't hear those things. I could list them out for you, and you might hear them, after that. Of course, I'm not going to do that and spoil it for you.:D

When I say I don't like this version, it doesn't mean a newer version is going to be that much different, but it will be more dynamic sounding with maybe slightly different sounding strings, etc. And there could be different counter melodies in spots, but the main bulk of the song won't change.

I think that particular recording is over five years old, maybe a little more. So, the dynamics I talk about will sound better because the newer recording will be of much better quality.

And, I know the drummer wants to redo his part. He says what he's playing is lame. There's that perfectionist showing through, again.:rolleyes:
 
DVS, you've got some good stuff there. With your voice and keyboard work, I could imagine that you'd do some kickass work on Kansas tunes.

(That is intended as a compliment. I like Kansas a lot.)
I LOVE KANSAS! I've had the pleasure of meeting two members of Kansas. Well, Robby Steinhardt has since retired, but I've met him and Steve Walsh. At the time I met Steve, he wasn't a member of Kansas, yet. He was just another good singer waiting for his time to come. Both our bands were playing the Frog Hop ballroom in St. Joe. Little did anybody know that a few years later, he'd become famous.

And, I also had the joy of attending one of Kansas' practice sessions, but the only member of that particular version of Kansas to go on was Livgren. I think that was 1970 or '71. They were living in a house in St. Joseph, MO. It was your basic band house...piece of shit place, sheets up in most every room dividing them into bedrooms, a kind of stuffy, grungy, a bunch of guys live here atmosphere. Livgren later left to join White Clover, which then became the Kansas we all remember and love.

Their last album, from 2001 got little to no airplay, but I think it is a wonderful CD. Kerry Livgren wrote all of the songs, and they recorded the CD in his Kansas farm house studio (refurbished barn). I think it got critical acclaim, but it's one of my favorite Kansas CDs.
 
Glad that you took that well. I've had other musical folks get offended when I made that sort of stylistic leap. It really was a compliment, and a strong one for me.
 
I'm gonna post it again today, but I don't know when the best time would be.:confused:
 
I'm gonna post it again today, but I don't know when the best time would be.:confused:

The best time would be around... like... 9pm EST. For me, anyway. And I wanna click dat link!
 
DVS, you've got some good stuff there. With your voice and keyboard work, I could imagine that you'd do some kickass work on Kansas tunes.

(That is intended as a compliment. I like Kansas a lot.)
Actually, I don't ever get bothered by someone saying something about my music, for or against it. I know it's an individual taste kind of thing and with that, there's a group that will really like something, and a group that will really hate something. It's those in-between that you try to reach.

As for sounding like Kansas, that's fine with me. It's not a bad sound to copy. I've got other songs that probably sound like someone else too, depending on who's listening. I've got a few songs that someone told me I sound like Barry Manilow. :eek: I can't be too upset with that, even. Manilow is filthy rich! :D

"you deserve a break today...so get up and get away...to McDonalds"
 
It's here for a while. I'm checking my email. I'll try to post it again tonight, but if not, this weekend, for sure. I'm off Friday and Saturday, so I can post whenever.

Oh, and if you don't like the links, no raspberries, please. Be kind.

Thanks for listening.
 
Last edited:
I'll leave the above link for a couple more hours. Thanks for listening.
 
Great stuff, DVS! Put me a bit in mind of Grand Funk Railroad and Moody Blues in addition to Kansas. I must say that I much prefer your voice to that of the drummer --- you have a richness to your tone that he lacks.
 
Great stuff, DVS! Put me a bit in mind of Grand Funk Railroad and Moody Blues in addition to Kansas. I must say that I much prefer your voice to that of the drummer --- you have a richness to your tone that he lacks.
I've tried to tell him he just doesn't have "IT" but he thinks I'm crazy.:D I was singing that song and he mentioned he wanted to sing one, so I let him sing that one, because he wrote the lyrics.

I appreciate it that you think my voice has a richness to it. It might partially be because I'm the recording engineer and I can make my voice sound good and his sound bad.

Oh, I didn't say that out loud, did I? That just wouldn't be right. :eek:
 
I've tried to tell him he just doesn't have "IT" but he thinks I'm crazy.:D I was singing that song and he mentioned he wanted to sing one, so I let him sing that one, because he wrote the lyrics.

I appreciate it that you think my voice has a richness to it. It might partially be because I'm the recording engineer and I can make my voice sound good and his sound bad.

Oh, I didn't say that out loud, did I? That just wouldn't be right. :eek:

Ha! Nah, he's got a nasal quality that just doesn't work for me. I've noticed that drummers come in one of two versions--- laid-back, easy to work with and solid OR high-maintenance, overreaching and just generally annoying. Fortunately more of the former than the latter. :D
 
OK, I'm back. Yes, that pain in the ass (no fun intended), that yo yo guy who just can't get the hint he's not as special as he thinks, that OLD guy who's not as pretty as he once was, and obviously not as sexually desired as he once was.:(

Yep, you can't get rid of me. It's just not possible. I'm the bad seed, the penny with tails side up, the Litster who can't take that hint you're just not that into him.:rolleyes:

Now, if you're still reading, I've created a myspace page. This one doesn't have my real name posted so I can leave the link here. Yes, I know...as if someone wants to check it out...who am I fooling? Anyway, this site is going to be songs from just me, so there will be a variation of styles.

Right now, there's only two posted, so if you want to wait, I'll understand. And if you don't even care...well, I understand that, too. Once you get to my age, you know life ain't all crackers and jam, ya' know.

I hope you like my stuff. If not, remember...these songs are like my kids. You say something nasty about one and I might cry. You don't want to see the mean and nasty DVS cry, do you?:eek:

Here's the link.
 
Last edited:
LOL, just call me the old thread killer.:eek:
 
My latest commistion piece. :)

I've never done the lace on the sleeves before. I rather like how it turned out.

This is a boy's costume for a todler size 1t, but my dummy is 6months so it looks like a girl's piece.
 

Attachments

  • 08-29-09_19302.JPG
    08-29-09_19302.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top