To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

Christopher didn't hesitate to meet her kiss and enjoy it for all it was worth, cradling Kayla tightly to his chest and wondering how in the world he'd managed to find the love of his life so young and so easily. "Honestly, Kay," he murmured when they parted, "you know I'd say anything you want to hear."

"Those are dangerous words to admit to your wife and queen." Kayla said with a smile as she nuzzled against Christopher's neck, nipping at his flesh with her teeth as she enjoyed their quiet moment together. "I might have to use it to my advantage often."

"There are a couple limits and stipulations though," Christopher warned her, smiling to himself at how she seemed quite content to enjoy his skin and the moment for all she could. "I won't share you, and I won't stay behind when you go somewhere. Other than that, I'll do just about anything."

"Good, because I won't share you either." Kayla murmured softly as she pulled away to look Christopher in the eyes. "And I'll only stay behind if my health demands it. When we get the chance to have another child, I'm going to make sure that I do everything to keep it safe."

She leaned forward to seal her promise with a kiss, her hands moving to cup his cheeks as the kiss turned passionate quickly. She let out a long sigh, loving her husband as much as she could in that moment after so long apart.

It was another week before Monomakh was deemed well enough by the doctors and healers to go home to Kiev. He was still fairly fragile and limped quite a bit as he made his way out to the main hall to give Kayla his final farewell.

"Milady," Monomakh spoke up as he entered to see Kayla and Christopher there. "I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. I'm a bit slow today." He was still pale but he was no longer on death's doorstep and fit to travel.

Kayla looked up from her paper work, a smile on her features as he apologized for taking so long. She stood, leaving her papers there as she moved to meet with Monomakh.

"There is no need to apologize. We all have moments where we are not feeling our best." She said with a laugh as she extended her hand and shook his. "Perhaps you should sit for a while and gather your strength."

"I think that would be wise," he admitted and stiffly sat down in a free chair at her table. he wasn't walking well thanks to the wound she'd inflicted in his leg, and his wounded arm was still weak as well. The most glaring remnant of their fight was the gash and slowly-fading bruises from her strike to his jaw.

"I must say... I've come to love this place in my short time here. Even on my short walks and rides, it's evident Trondheim is quite the beauty."

"That's a testament to Kayla's care," Ulfric spoke up as he entered with Kjotva. Monomakh had not seen her since she was stolen from his custody, though he'd known she was there in Trondheim. He rose quickly as he could in a show of respect for her.

"Sit down, you stupid man," Kjotva murmured and pushed him back into his seat. Her gaze was not malicious, but somewhat exasperated. "You men are all the same. Stubborn, prideful, arrogant. But it's nice to know some of you are still good at heart."

"Pride does get in the way of good intentions, doesn't it? And power." Monomakh sighed and took her hand. "It can hardly account for what I've done... but I want to you know I do truly apologize, milady."

Kayla was surprised to see Ulfric and Kjotva enter the room together. The last time that she had seen them was when they were in the middle of a heated argument over what would happen with the children once it was born. Kjotva had been convinced that she didn't need any help while Ulfric was willing and wanting to raise his child alongside her.

"Trondheim is a very beautiful place." Kayla agreed as she took her seat, motioning for them all to do the same. "Christopher and I are planning a trip to the sea in a few weeks."

She didn't want to talk about politics or their countries. She simply wanted to bride the gaps between them on a more personal level.

"I may have to follow your example once everything is settled at home," Monomakh said with a nod. "It'd be a good excuse to spend some more time with my son."

"What's your son's name?" Christopher asked.

"The same as mine. Vladhimir Monomakh," he smiled. "But unlike me, he prefers to go by his first name."

"Perhaps you could send your son here for a few weeks to see the court and learn how we do things. It's always good to a ruler to see how things are done around them." Kayla suggested as Monomakh talked about his son. "Or even to learn about horses. Christopher has a stable of some of the finest Irish horses in the world."

"I think I might just do that. A Prince ought to learn to lead from more than just his father. And he's always loved the sea and admired the famed seafaring warriors of this part of the world."

Then a Kievan soldier entered. "Milord, the carriage is ready when you are."

Monomakh nodded and dismissed the man. "I would love to return someday, but my men are as eager as I am to return home and enjoy the new peacetime with our families." He rose fairly steadily, and at the same time, Elhardt entered just in time to offer his own farewells.

Kayla nodded, promising that there would always be a room for him to use if he ever chose to return. As the three of them saw Monomakh off, she had to think about how different things were now. There was still danger, but she had seen that she was much stronger than she ever thought.

Once everything had settled, she found herself in her sunny offices, drinking tea with Elhardt as they discussed matters of state. "What do you think will happen between Kjotva and Ulfric?"

"Knowing Kjotva, she'll keep pushing him away until she admits to herself that she loves him," Elhardt sighed. "And Ulfric will take the abuse and insist that he shouldn't follow her to Sweden even though they both want him to inside."

"A child complicates things." Kayla said as Elhardt talked about his brother and his wants. "I would gladly let him go. I think Christopher can handle the job that Ulfric does here and it would mean the world to me to know that he is happy with his own little family."

"Norway is Ulfric's first love, and for half his life, he's been one of her keepers. I don't know if he as the heart to leave. And Kjotva would never ask him to. She knows what Norway means to him."

"Sometimes you can't simply have what your heart wants." Kayla said, speaking for experience after having lost the child that she and Christopher had wanted so badly. "When he realizes that he wants that child more than anything in the world, Norway will fail to have a place in his heart. I can't blame him."

"You underestimate him," Elhardt chuckled almost sadly. "He'll find a way to keep both loves, as hard as it will be for him. He managed it with our family when he first split away to come here."

"I can't keep him here, Elhardt. The way he looks at Kjotva...you can tell that he is still very much in love." Kayla said softly as she put her tea aside. "If the child is not the child of the king, what will that mean? Will Kjotva's dukes still follow her rule?"

"I don't know. Sweden is a vast country of many differing opinions. Larger than Norway and Denmark combined. Kjotva will always have the support of some, but she may face disloyalty, even rebellion from others who already hate the idea of following a woman. Her affair would give them the perfect excuse to pronounce incompetence as a leader."

"Then there is still danger. We will have to be watchful of Kjotva and her rule." Kayla said softly as she regarded Elhardt. "You need to go home, my friend. Your wife and children probably miss you greatly. Things should be quiet for a while."

"I'm sure they do, but I'd like to see Kjotva home first and make sure she's safe in her own home before I relax in my own." Elhardt leaned over to kiss Kayla's cheek. "But it will be bittersweet. Despite all the trouble we've been through, I've really enjoyed having the lot of us together."

"There will surely be happier occasions that will bring us together, Elhardt. Weddings, births, all the good things that normal people celebrate." Kayla said as he kissed her cheek and she gave him a fond smile. "But I admire you having the strength to keep us all together. You are definitely a ruler that needs to be respected."

"It was you that kept us together and you know it," Elhardt insisted. "You never let us split up if we could help it, you led the charge to get Kjotva, and you managed to absolutely blindside the Prince of Kiev and make peace between the Rus and the Triad that hasn't existed in a long time."

"I was very serious about giving Norway a time of peace after so many years of turmoil. These people are hard working and deserve all the prosperity that I can give them." Kayla said softly as she thought about the long way that they had come and the long way that they had to go. "And hopefully one day I will give them an heir that they can be proud of."

"I pray you do. Not for their sake, but yours and Christopher's. You two deserve a family of your own." Elhardt reached out to take her hand.

Back