Trump takes executive action to ban bump stocks that turn rifles into automatic weapo

I too am a gun owner, I don't own any automatic weapons, but I understand the appeal. (25-yrs in the Marine Corps; I've fired the standard array.) For most it's not a matter of expecting a siege, it's the enjoyment (thrill) of firing automatic weapons on occasion. Why do people own muscle cars and high speed motorcycles whose power can't be fully realized on public streets and highways?
I was only six years US Army and Reserves but I managed to fire my fill of Viet-era hardware. Loved that M-203! And my divisional pistol trophy is around somewhere. We've kept pistols in civilian life, augmented by my partner's father, another top cop in our family who kept and willed us a home arsenal... which was never ever used.

Reserves, I was a MASH medic. Regular Army, I was in commo in DivArty. That's the slice of a US Army division that runs artillery. Gun-bunnies. 105mm and 155mm howitzers, with all the accoutrements. Big, loud guns. Scream when they fire; that reduces pressure so eardrums don't rupture. After those, a shotgun is piddling. THAT little thang? Feh.

Yeah, some people get off on horsepower and gunpower and rock'n'roll and other loud noises. I grew up near a drag strip. I know the riff. Some folks collect all sorts of shit, too. Ya can't account for people.

But we can try to stop them from killing us.

And just as unlicensable vehicles are kept off public roads, so unauthorized firearms must stay in private realms, not public. We, the public, the fucking PEOPLE of the USA, must have the right to NOT be shot as we go about our daily lives. Without the right to live as a person born, no other rights exist.

Not a great fan of Presidents using EOs to legislate.

This one would be a tough call. Is it legislation or merely an added definition to an existing law?

As far as 'bump stocks' go, fine, make them illegal. I've played with them out at the range and they're only marginally faster than semi-auto, and less accurate. A mechanical device that is designed to circumvent the law. Drop in sears do the same thing and they ARE illegal. (And the drop ins bolster the case that it's merely an added definition.)

Oh, bump stocks aren't the real issue. With a house divided so against itself that even the Russians are trying to exacerbate the tension, the real issue is that Congress is dysfunctional and the White House just continues to exploit the divide by doing what it thinks is right. I don't give a shit about bump stocks. I have mechanical devices that I purchased years ago that can make my guns operate as if they were fully automatic.
Furthermore, when the FBI is tipped off by multiple sources that a shooter has "blossomed" then we know that bump stocks are not the real issue, but that we have much greater issues to resolve, especially when it comes to our attitudes on mental health and social alienation.

Oh, bump stocks aren't the real issue. With a house divided so against itself that even the Russians are trying to exacerbate the tension, the real issue is that Congress is dysfunctional and the White House just continues to exploit the divide by doing what it thinks is right. I don't give a shit about bump stocks. I have mechanical devices that I purchased years ago that can make my guns operate as if they were fully automatic.
Furthermore, when the FBI is tipped off by multiple sources that a shooter has "blossomed" then we know that bump stocks are not the real issue, but that we have much greater issues to resolve, especially when it comes to our attitudes on mental health and social alienation.

Agreed on most of your post. But neither the congress, the courts, nor the executive cal legislate societal dysfunction away. And quite frankly THAT'S where the problem is, society.

I also blame society.

Hold it, isnt blaming society a democrat plank?

Signed
Confused in katmandu.

The democrats (neo-commies) have divided society into two neat little pigeon holes. The 'oppressed' and the 'oppressor's.' If you are successful you are an oppressor, and that is generally, but not limited to, white males, older white males at that. The press, their willing Allie, is right there with them telling everyone how miserable their lives are. Hear it long enough and some start to internalize the mantra to the point of psychosis.

The democrats (neo-commies) have divided society into two neat little pigeon holes. The 'oppressed' and the 'oppressor's.' If you are successful you are an oppressor, and that is generally, but not limited to, white males, older white males at that. The press, their willing Allie, is right there with them telling everyone how miserable their lives are. Hear it long enough and some start to internalize the mantra to the point of psychosis.

There's a reason why the CPUSA supported Obama twice.

Am I ignorant? Or just not seeing the obvious?

I can see videos on YouTube which show me how to make a bump stock with materials and tools that any homeowner could access.

How do you ban something that any half-competent handyman can knock up in half an hour?

I can see videos on YouTube which show me how to make a bump stock with materials and tools that any homeowner could access.

How do you ban something that any half-competent handyman can knock up in half an hour?
It's a feel good measure, that's all. Pointless in terms of actually doing anything.
One guy used one once for a mass shooting and so banning them will somehow make it all go away.

Never mind the fact that people planning a shooting spree are totally gonna obey the law and not use one.

You can't.

Just like you can make a gun with tools you can buy from home depot.

You can also make your own bullets, casings, and just about anything but a primer (and even that, you could fashion from other common items).

Meth is easy to make. Should it be legal too?

Zip guns are easily made. 3D printers can churn out firearms parts. As I've said often, bans and controls on production, distribution, and possession are impossible in USA. The infestation is pervasive.

What's not impossible is FIERCE regulation. No firearms in public without damn good reason. No firearms near schools, ever. No tolerance for rogues.

Let's see, how many recent school shooting involved bump-stocks? Tromp's distraction move is rather obvious. "See, I'm doing something!" he tweets, while enabling yet more mass murders. This is what we expected from him.

We can statistically expect the next slaughter within the week. Stay tuned.

Agreed on most of your post. But neither the congress, the courts, nor the executive cal legislate societal dysfunction away. And quite frankly THAT'S where the problem is, society.

We live in a dystopia that the Intelligentsia, aided by it useful Progressive tools, have been fighting for, tooth, nail and claw since the 1880s and then add to that the new technologies which allow far too many to withdraw behind an electronic wall both of gaming, often violent and of the anonymity of the internet where they can go to harass and bully and act out their anti-social tendencies upon others while paying no personal price. When you see your fellow citizens as something other than human beings, yeah it makes it a lot easier to kill them. Look at some of the hateful memes that we are surrounded by: Conservatives are deplorable, the religious are insane and if you don't have a college degree (back to the Intelligentsia) then you aren't worth shit unless you are a minority here to do the jobs that college professionals won't do.

I set the bar pretty low for you, and you met it just fine.

giphy.gif

Short answer, you can't. There are also videos showing how, just with training and technique, that one can produce rapid bursts of fire. The problem is, that like most martial training, somebody that dedicate to training is pretty much never a mass shooter.

Back