If you could have any job in the world....

(I've worked retail for the last 35 years. As much as I loved it, I'm not sure I want to go back)
It's not a job with the government is it? Because coming out of retail, you know they're not going to pay you shit. I've never seriously considered going back into social work, but then again no one asked. I make a mean peanut butter and banana sandwich; maybe I'll start up a cafe.

Best job in the world

This is totally non-bdsm related. More of a curiosity question.

I'm in a unique position to be starting over in the work world; it feels both exciting and super scary.

If you could do any job in the world, what would it be?

Do you ever think about pursuing the dream??

If you care to share -- do you like / love your current job? You don't have to say what it is (unless you feel comfy sharing).

:cattail:

sissy has had several jobs and has found the "best job in the world", are you ready for it?

sissy :heart: it

sissy is the job for me! :kiss:

being a sissy is the best dream to live. :rose:

This is totally non-bdsm related. More of a curiosity question.

I'm in a unique position to be starting over in the work world; it feels both exciting and super scary.

If you could do any job in the world, what would it be?

Do you ever think about pursuing the dream??

If you care to share -- do you like / love your current job? You don't have to say what it is (unless you feel comfy sharing).

:cattail:

I thought about this, gave my response and read the other responses in this thread. I don't believe any of that matters. Instead I think what you need to think about is this:

Invest in yourself and be your own boss.

I've worked for myself for over 20 years. It's been the best damn job I've ever had. My boss is a confirmed Son of a Bitch who doesn't care how sick I am, tired, sore, busy, or what kind of family emergency is going on. He just tells me to get my ass back to work no matter what.

It sounds awful but there's a bright side. He has my back. I don't have to wonder or worry about my job. He's got me covered 24/7/365. No matter how great or how terrible the economy gets, I got work. It may be a lot of work or it may be a small amount work and not a whole lot of income, but it's work. And that's a hell of a lot more than 90 million other American's can say right now.

If you have the opportunity to start over again, knowing what you know now, then why not take a chance and invest in yourself. No one knows your dreams and goals better than you do. No one will work as hard toward those dreams and goals than you will.

Yes, there's a risk. But with every risk comes the opportunity for reward. The key is to manage the risk while maximizing the reward. That means you don't even acknowledge that there's a "paycheck" coming. Instead, you save your butt off because there may not be any income coming in next week and you still have to pay the bills next month. Frugal is the equivalent of being a big spender compared to what you have to do when you are self employed. But the reward of knowing you are financially secure, even if only for the short term, is beyond words.

As to what to do; find something you can do comfortably. Not something you're excited about. Not something you "think" you can do. Not even something you'd dream about doing. Find something you're comfortable in doing and build a career around that.

There's a lot of careers out there that are waiting for people who can see the opportunities. For instance, if you're a people person with sales background, real estate may be the thing for you. Get in now before things pick up so you get experience in real estate sales and management. RE sales persons are independent contractors so you work for you though the broker provides the office space and so on for you to work out of. Decent money although the average time until closing the first sale is 4-6 months so you need something to get you through until then. This is on top of any training, testing and licensing your State may require.

RE is set to start moving upward again. Or so I think. So do a lot of other people but there are other opportunities out there besides this one. Look around, SEE where you can use your best assets in ways you haven't thought of, and then take a chance in yourself.

This is what I think. Go you.

I thought about this, gave my response and read the other responses in this thread. I don't believe any of that matters. Instead I think what you need to think about is this:

I've worked for myself for over 20 years. It's been the best damn job I've ever had. My boss is a confirmed Son of a Bitch who doesn't care how sick I am, tired, sore, busy, or what kind of family emergency is going on. He just tells me to get my ass back to work no matter what.

It sounds awful but there's a bright side. He has my back. I don't have to wonder or worry about my job. He's got me covered 24/7/365. No matter how great or how terrible the economy gets, I got work. It may be a lot of work or it may be a small amount work and not a whole lot of income, but it's work. And that's a hell of a lot more than 90 million other American's can say right now.

If you have the opportunity to start over again, knowing what you know now, then why not take a chance and invest in yourself. No one knows your dreams and goals better than you do. No one will work as hard toward those dreams and goals than you will.

Yes, there's a risk. But with every risk comes the opportunity for reward. The key is to manage the risk while maximizing the reward. That means you don't even acknowledge that there's a "paycheck" coming. Instead, you save your butt off because there may not be any income coming in next week and you still have to pay the bills next month. Frugal is the equivalent of being a big spender compared to what you have to do when you are self employed. But the reward of knowing you are financially secure, even if only for the short term, is beyond words.

As to what to do; find something you can do comfortably. Not something you're excited about. Not something you "think" you can do. Not even something you'd dream about doing. Find something you're comfortable in doing and build a career around that.

There's a lot of careers out there that are waiting for people who can see the opportunities. For instance, if you're a people person with sales background, real estate may be the thing for you. Get in now before things pick up so you get experience in real estate sales and management. RE sales persons are independent contractors so you work for you though the broker provides the office space and so on for you to work out of. Decent money although the average time until closing the first sale is 4-6 months so you need something to get you through until then. This is on top of any training, testing and licensing your State may require.

RE is set to start moving upward again. Or so I think. So do a lot of other people but there are other opportunities out there besides this one. Look around, SEE where you can use your best assets in ways you haven't thought of, and then take a chance in yourself.

I like what you've said here. I grew up around people who all started their own businesses. They took the thing they loved or were really good at and turned it into a self made career. Naturally, I though this is how you were supposed to do it, so I followed suit. The problem was I was never good at one particular thing, so it took me a few tries to settle on something that suited me. And in between I 'worked for the other guy' until I decided on my next venture. All those in between jobs were never ever as satisfying as working for myself...even when my business wasn't entirely 'successful'. Once you get a taste of doing it on your own it's hard to see doing it any other way.

That being said, it isn't for everyone. Things are sometimes hard to get off the ground. Some people can't deal with the uncertainty or can't budget without a set or steady income. If the opportunity is there, I recommend trying it, but if not...there's nothing wrong with bouncing around and trying out all kinds of different things you might like. Bottom line...don't 'settle' until you've found what makes you happy. Life's too short to waste it on a job you don't enjoy or aren't fulfilled doing.

Toll booth operator in Wyoming.....ahh, the solitude

Hi DS! I've actually thought about this job. There's a cool tollbooth as you enter the Everglades. The people working in the booth wear really fun Hawaiian shirts. Grand scenery and a happy uniform.

<snipped in order to keep thoughts moving in a linear fashion>

Look around, SEE where you can use your best assets in ways you haven't thought of, and then take a chance in yourself.

I hear what you're saying. I tend to lean on the worker bee side and not queen bee; I actually enjoy the safety of working FOR someone. My last job was the best of both worlds -- I had a ton of autonomy, was allowed a lot of creative license but knew I had a steady paycheck.

The parts I bolded seem contradictory. Virtually everyone tells me FOLLOW YOUR DREAM. I don't have that over-riding dream. Ballerina? Glitter wrangler? Middle-aged vixen? The second bolded part makes more sense. Find a comfortable niche.

Go me. :eek:

<snip>

If the opportunity is there, I recommend trying it, but if not...there's nothing wrong with bouncing around and trying out all kinds of different things you might like. Bottom line...don't 'settle' until you've found what makes you happy. Life's too short to waste it on a job you don't enjoy or aren't fulfilled doing.

Well... life is short and it isn't. I'm a month away from 56. I'm unsure how much longer I'll be out of the work force. As my husband's full-time caregiver, I am smack in the middle of understanding "life is too short." And yet, as I creep up to 60, the thought of bouncing around gives me the jitters.

One step at a time though. I've enjoyed reading all but one of the posts - thanks for the input!

I hear what you're saying. I tend to lean on the worker bee side and not queen bee; I actually enjoy the safety of working FOR someone. My last job was the best of both worlds -- I had a ton of autonomy, was allowed a lot of creative license but knew I had a steady paycheck.

The parts I bolded seem contradictory. Virtually everyone tells me FOLLOW YOUR DREAM. I don't have that over-riding dream. Ballerina? Glitter wrangler? Middle-aged vixen? The second bolded part makes more sense. Find a comfortable niche.

Go me. :eek:

All I meant was that you know you best. Look at your life and see what you do that you do often and expand from there.

Another example:

Let's say you are really into gardening. You know your fruits and veggies frontways, sideways, and backways. You have a little garden just for you and it always produces good stuff with just a few hours per day of care.

Nothing says you can't use that knowledge to go to your local produce storage place and buy flats and cases of stuff to sell at the Farmers' market 2-3 times/week. Get a loyal following, expand your selection, make money, have FUN.

Yeah, it takes licenses and contacts and stuff like that, but you can do that. Other people do it, why not you?

That's what I meant.

Definitely - go YOU!

Well... life is short and it isn't. I'm a month away from 56. I'm unsure how much longer I'll be out of the work force. As my husband's full-time caregiver, I am smack in the middle of understanding "life is too short." And yet, as I creep up to 60, the thought of bouncing around gives me the jitters.

One step at a time though. I've enjoyed reading all but one of the posts - thanks for the input!

I really sympathize with this as well as your earlier post about not having a hot, no-brainerly-obvious driving ambition. Originally, mine was to be a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist but that, sadly, wasn't a reliable way to earn money and seemed to require a bit more talent than I had in me. A few years ago I began a presentation to a group with the line, "I'm 64 years old and I haven't yet figured out what I want to be when I grow up." So much of the advice one sees these days is a variant on the "Follow your dreams" theme, but some of us don't really have those dreams.

And, speaking realistically, potential employers look at 50-somethings and 60-somethings much differently than they see 30-somethings. They can do the math, we know they can do the math, and they know that we know that they can do the math. It's a pretty good recipe for anxiety, all things considered.

And, speaking realistically, potential employers look at 50-somethings and 60-somethings much differently than they see 30-somethings. They can do the math, we know they can do the math, and they know that we know that they can do the math. It's a pretty good recipe for anxiety, all things considered.

Once upon a time first hand knowledge and experience were huge assets. An older person easily got the job before a younger, less experienced applicant. Sadly, employers started to view things differently...someone with a blank slate means lower pay scale (more money for the company), train them the way you want things done versus retraining learned practices, higher chance of longevity with the company...among other things. Flawed business strategy in my opinion, as there is a lot of value in a dependable, hardworking, employee with an array of skills and experience. Sometimes you just have to emphasize those qualities in an interview so they're not overlooked. Still doesn't make the process less stressful though.

Might I ask; Is the need for a job financially driven or just a need to get out of the house sort of thing? How do you define "bouncing around"? Is it moving to a new location or short term employment gigs...or?

I ask, because it seems as we each grow older our ability to see the shortness of life improves. We each have different drives...different wish lists. In my own case, it is more important for me to do the things I want to do than to remain a "productive member of society". True, this is not a new part of my personality :rolleyes: But, I'm also pretty much free of ties that would bind me to one place. As I said, we all wish for different things...but our family & life circumstances play a big part in the things we wish for, etc.

But, I think it is important to really sit down and take stock of what is important. Being somewhat of a nerdy engineer type, I have in the past made lists of the things important to me and assigned a numerical ranking score to each one. It helps me to clear away the clutter of too many thoughts that too often result in a mental paralysis.

So my favorite job? Explore every back-road in Cascadia, find the best scenery and the most secluded camping spots...try to take a few photos along the way...be happy and make people smile as I journey.

ETA: Feel free to ignore this...it does seem a little too probing after I read it :eek:

My actual job is my ideal job, I'm a Babywearing Consultant, I help support parents in finding and using baby carriers safely to make their lives easier. Ideally I'd make lots of money though, which I really don't!

30 years in the medical profession and I was so burned out. After moving 1500 miles, I answered a Craigslist ad on a whim and now do office admin in a single person office so it's a great job.

In my previous post above, you'll notice I basically had a complete life "do over". I was 57. I kept thinking "old dogs, new tricks...dammit, I WILL prove them wrong."

And I have - because telecommunications field is a whole other technical language and definitely from another planet!

You can do this.đź’“

My actual job is my ideal job, I'm a Babywearing Consultant, I help support parents in finding and using baby carriers safely to make their lives easier. Ideally I'd make lots of money though, which I really don't!

This is amazing! (I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know this was a job, but of course it is!)

Do you teach how to do a proper sling-tie? Enquiring minds and all that.

This is amazing! (I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know this was a job, but of course it is!)

Do you teach how to do a proper sling-tie? Enquiring minds and all that.

Wraps, ring slings, Asian style carriers, modern buckle carriers :D I teach loads of different slings :)

There are a zillion jobs / careers out there I had no idea were jobs. Good for you it's your ideal!!

Welcome back, by the way.

In my previous post above, you'll notice I basically had a complete life "do over". I was 57. I kept thinking "old dogs, new tricks...dammit, I WILL prove them wrong."

And I have - because telecommunications field is a whole other technical language and definitely from another planet!

You can do this.đź’“

Getting a mulligan on your whole life is scary. And yet, i firmly believe with all change - regardless if you were the change instigator or not - good will eventually follow. I'm glad you proved 'em wrong!

Might I ask; Is the need for a job financially driven or just a need to get out of the house sort of thing?

It's a combo platter sort of thing. Once mr. cookie dies, I'll be ok financially but just ok. If I want to travel, retire comfortably, have icing on the cake, yada yada, I need to work. (mr. cookie has ALS :( )

It's not necessarily a need to get out of the house as it is to have a mission. And get paid.

How do you define "bouncing around"? Is it moving to a new location or short term employment gigs...or?

This was in response to iamsubmissive's comment "there's nothing wrong with bouncing around and trying out all kinds of different things you might like." While I'm not ancient and decrepit quite yet, thinking about trying things out until something sticks induces anxiety. I like the idea I don't have to make an all-encompassing, final decision about a job -- I can approach it with the attitude "try it - you might like it!" But my career span has an expiration date and retirement is on a closer horizon so I'd like to go in to something that sticks.

I ask, because it seems as we each grow older our ability to see the shortness of life improves. We each have different drives...different wish lists. In my own case, it is more important for me to do the things I want to do than to remain a "productive member of society". True, this is not a new part of my personality :rolleyes: But, I'm also pretty much free of ties that would bind me to one place. As I said, we all wish for different things...but our family & life circumstances play a big part in the things we wish for, etc.

But, I think it is important to really sit down and take stock of what is important. Being somewhat of a nerdy engineer type, I have in the past made lists of the things important to me and assigned a numerical ranking score to each one. It helps me to clear away the clutter of too many thoughts that too often result in a mental paralysis.

That's good advice. A good approach. I have time. How much time is uncertain. Thinking about my future makes me feel guilty and anxious because it's a future without Mr. cookie.

Mental paralysis is a good way to put it. I tend to look at the big picture and the goal becomes so big I can't wrap my head or my arms around it. And then I get stuck. Mr. cookie has always been my go-to in reeling me back to what's important and helping me resolve stuff. I don't talk to him about this. It's too hard and feels unfair to him.

So my favorite job? Explore every back-road in Cascadia, find the best scenery and the most secluded camping spots...try to take a few photos along the way...be happy and make people smile as I journey.

Have you checked out Cascadia's picture thread?? About Cascadia? :)

ETA: Feel free to ignore this...it does seem a little too probing after I read it :eek:

I like probing...

Thank you for the nice reply CC. Yes, I knew the situation with your husband...hard times ~ :heart:

I'm really happy to hear that you're not facing a desperate situation financially...that takes a huge burden of worry off you !!!!! I think you're being very reasonable and wise in regard to wanting to find something that "fits" for these final working years...I wouldn't like to be learning a new job every six months to a year. That might start to feel pointless at this stage of life...not like your looking for a 30 year career of the 'perfect job'.

The little numerical ranking thing actually does help sort what's important.

Free Time/Vacation 5/5
Low Stress 4/5
Close to Home 5/5
Holidays Off 3/5
Large Salary 3/5
Health Insurance
Advanced Training
Travel for Work
etc,....

I'm thankful that you 'like probing'...but the wording I used now has me kinda flumoxed a bit since you repeated it back...but enough about my twisted mind :eek:

being a sissy is the best dream to live
I've developed a one item self-assessment scale. It's called the RubiDia Logarithmic Self-Assessment Scale. There's no right or wrong answer, but if you get it wrong, you'll plunge into a fiery abyss in Hell.

1) Would you like to:

A) Slap me in the face
B) Read baby books from me
C) Watch me shop at Walmart
D) Clean your room

Write your answer here: ____ and then, submit it to:

Logarithmic Self-Assessment Scale Grading
Fiery Abyss in Hell, Hell 66666

Back