The "Things you've done" thread

Center hole is already drilled, sort of shows. I have the Forstner bits. Got no shellac, but some danish oil some where. Needs a bit more sanding too.
 
Center hole is already drilled, sort of shows. I have the Forstner bits. Got no shellac, but some danish oil some where. Needs a bit more sanding too.

And?

It ain't gonna get done if you don't do it.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Bookcase.JPG
    Bookcase.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 2
No fancy cabinets or tables, but I did make a dresser/hutch using stock oak panels and trim. Put together and in use, but never fully finished. Story of my life.

Can't remember if I posted the under-window table I did and I'm too lazy to look back six pages.

.
 
Your work is total carpentry porn, HisArpy. I do work some with wood too, but noting that sophisticated, at least yet.

One thing I did was undertake a "journeyman" project to get me moving forward from "birdhouses and boxes". I had to design and build a project from scratch including the drawings with measurements and descriptions to scale. Then I had to build it.

From there I kept learning and eventually started on a "masters" project. That's the desk earlier in the thread.

I failed. The desk is not good enough in both the level of detail as well as the overall execution. When I built it I didn't have the understanding of what a "masters level" desk actually entailed. At best, the desk is an example of an advanced journeyman's skills and techniques.

I have more skill and understanding now, but I no longer feel the need to "quantify" the skills I have. I am good enough that if I want something, I can design and build it. From a footstool w/ Queen Anne feet to an entire custom kitchen, I can design and build it.

These days, that's enough.

Now, enough about me, more about YOU. And you. And you over there in the corner. What have you done?
 

Attachments

  • DSC00717ec.jpg
    DSC00717ec.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00756c.jpg
    DSC00756c.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00757c.jpg
    DSC00757c.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00796c.jpg
    DSC00796c.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00813c.jpg
    DSC00813c.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well, actually my part was only the building. But locally famous fashion artists saw it, and I allowed them in for a photo session. That's the story behind that visual nonsense.

It was a growing thing

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


Inside at dark

attachment.php


The most finished state

attachment.php

That is one of the coolest (pun intended) things I've seen in a long time!

Comshaw
 
Then the spring come

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC00833c.jpg
    DSC00833c.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00884c.jpg
    DSC00884c.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00901c.jpg
    DSC00901c.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00869c.jpg
    DSC00869c.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00881c.jpg
    DSC00881c.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1
When I built my house I also built a fire place. But unlike most it's a very efficient fire place. To begin with it's not on an exterior wall, but in the center of the house. It's a Russian fireplace/wood stove hybrid with a water heater.

It has a double run flew with secondary combustion air fed into the flue chamber. It has a steel insert with a blower fan that circulates air through it for a quick warm up of the house. From the level of the mantle to the ceiling it is a 42" x 48" solid concrete heat storage mass. It's been 19 to 20 degrees here every night this week. I can start a fire, burn it for 6 hours and it will keep the house toasty (right now its 22 degrees outside and 72 inside) for 20- 24 hours as well as producing 80 gallons or so of 130-150 degree water.

It also has a glass window on both sides so we can see the fire. One is in the living room, the other in the family room. The first picture is on the family room side. The black door above the window is for access to clean the flue chamber.

The second picture is on the living room side showing the door and air controls.

The third picture is a full length view of it.

With all the steel work, welding and masonry work, it took me over 5 months to build. Being a mechanic/welder the steel work wasn't that bad, but not being a mason, that part was a PETA!

As part of the build I also laid the slate floor around the fire place and built the railing for the balcony. I wanted to also build the spiral stairs that is the access to the balcony, but I ran out of time so we bought that from a local company.


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


Comshaw
 

Attachments

  • 001-1.JPG
    001-1.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 006-1.jpg
    006-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 007-1.jpg
    007-1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I drew the shittiest picture I have ever drawn out of pure spite and pettiness a few minutes ago while I was waiting on laundry. It's a long story, but it's awful. It's the worst. It's going to be so therapeutic to give to the person who pissed me off, or maybe my pettiness will have worn off by then and I won't actually do it, but god I had a lot of negativity associated with it.

My gf looked over to see what I was drawing and lost her shit over how bad it was and it was hilarious. She was literally going, "Ew! Ew! Ew! Why!? I hate it!"

And I was like, "Thank you!"

And she kept glancing over like she thought it might get better so I had to tell her the whole story and oh my god I'm so happy it's turned out exactly as awful as I wanted.

I have to redownload manga studio to truly do it justice but uuuuuggggh it feels so good to be this bitchy.

So you guys have seen how I normally draw, right? I posted on this thread? I do art commissions, full color illustrations, pixel art, a bunch of shit, like you do. So tumblr is pruning nsfw artists, and pornhub sent out invites to anyone who had ever posted a piece of art on there, letting people know that they're hosting speedpaints and art now, to help everyone who got kicked off tumblr have a platform.

So I thought, "Sure, why the hell not?"

But I don't do a lot of nsfw stuff. But someone posted on the ol internet on one of the forums I go to that they were looking for an artist to commission, and I contacted them and said, "Hell I'll do it for free" and sent samples of my work, which again, y'all have seen some of, explained that I just wanted something to post on my pornhub profile, etc.

They talked to me like a DOG. I have NEVER been dragged like that. Told me I was unprofessional, that my art sucked so bad I shouldn't be charging money, that I should get a devianart (in the most patronizing tone you can imagine, as if they did not think I have ever heard of the platform everyone starts out on in middle school). Like they fucking murdered me. I didn't know how to respond. Like my brain shut off because I had never been insulted like that and I just... could not process it.

So I sent some messages in a daze, like literally in shock as if I had been punched that's how hard they lit into me. One of those messages I asked what they considered professional art.

HAND
TO
GOD

They linked me to big-tittied anime girls drawn by what looked to be middle schoolers in Manga Studio. And I don't mean good anime designs. I mean the characters that kids draw when they're like 12. I mean the big bug eyes, no nose, perfectly symmetrical cartoon face, no individual style, etc. The shit every middle school art teacher has to unlearn people from because every kid in the world thinks they're Toshihiro Ono but without the talent.

Once again I was just... dumbfounded. I had no idea how to respond. The complete disconnect between what was and was not professional was just... so far out in left field that I could not process it. Like this is not a subjective thing. There are objective skills, like rules that you have to know before you can break them, like anatomy, to be considered a professional. And this was so far below my skill level- and again, like look at the cowboy I drew- I just could not fucking process it.

So I had kind of a breakdown? I have never been insulted like that before. It was not trolling. That person really was that disconnected from reality.

Then I processed it.

And I got mad.

They wanted a big-tittied anime girl, drawn as shittily as possible, apparently, fucking a tentacle monster.

So I went to my shelf. And I broke out my 'how to draw manga' books from fourth grade.

And I went buckwild.

My girlfriend, again, was watching me create this abomination, just watching me bring this hell unto the world, going, "Ew ew ew no, stop it's not worth it stop it" and I was like, "Bitch I am so petty I'm gonna download manga studio, and I'm gonna do it in fucking STAMPS. I'm gonna break out fucking SCREENTONES. I give no shits. It's gonna be gaudy and tacky and amazing."

And I will. I absolutely will.

I also am gonna actually use it because it's a good program it's just pretty intense for the computer.

Anyhoooooooo y'all wanna see the wip?

Prepare yourself. It's amazing. It's like a B movie that is so bad it circles around to being good again because of how bad it is. I'm proud of how unbelievably godawful it is.



Her name is Annie May and you probably look at it full size to do it full justice.

We got EVERY-GODDAMN-THING. We got no pubes. We got no ribcage. We got titties the size of your head. We got highlights and shadows what don't make a LICK of sense. We got filter-feeder teeth like she's a goddamn blue whale. We got it all! Come on down to Candi's house of horrors!
 
Last edited:
The look on her face cracks me up. It's like she knows how wrong she is. :D
 
The look on her face cracks me up. It's like she knows how wrong she is. :D

My gf said that her boyfriend, the tentacle demon's name is Tenta Kel, but he's Japanese so like, his name is Kel and that's a perfectly acceptable name.

I wanted to prove to myself that I actually can draw in a manga style and have it NOT look godawful so I sketched out a manga-y self portrait.

Like... the difference between this sketch and that WIP should demonstrate the level of my pettiness if the fucking rant didn't.

I might actually make this a real drawing and use it as an icon, since I sketched it out planning to post it here.



The biggest issue with this stuff, what makes one look so much more amateurish even though it's way closer to being finished, is the symmetry. The faces in that how to draw manga style are perfectly symmetrical, which is the easiest way to make art shitty and uncanny because that's... not how faces work. It's not the stylization, really, it's that kids try to make shit perfect because they think that's pretty. It's not. It's offputting. Like even with the freaky long neck and the big eyes- which I mean, I have big eyes for a human person anyway- but even with that, the second sketch looks more like a human person because you can actually see like... idk that's not what people look like but it makes visual sense if someone has one eye more closed than the other or only smiles with half their mouth because the other side is swollen from horrible dental surgery or whatever.

It's not being overly stylized that makes it bad, it's the particular way it's drawn. And you teach kids to draw like that because it's easier for them but like... it's always gonna look like somebody who never had an anatomy or lifedrawing class drew it.

Like you have to know the rules before you can break them kind of thing.

But yeah, I might finish this and make it my icon avatar thing. I don't know. I just wanted to prove to myself that I hadn't bitch-fitted myself back to fourth grade.

Oh my god, y'all I am so fuckin dumb it took me like 5 tries to maybe get that image/link combo to work. In my defense this site is on some html shit from like 1996. This site is located in one of the GeoCities. That's like 12x bigger than I wanted it to be but I'm so sleepy you don't understand.

And we're watching Mari Kondo's show and she's so soothing I love her so much. I want Mari Kondo, Bob Ross and the dude from Reading Rainbow to come to my house and get my shit together for me just being comforting and supportive. Just like, "clean your house" "paint a picture" "read a book" like please god the world is so fucked up please hit me with that good wholesome shit I'm so tired and I just want supportive adults.

Also whats her name the spy who cooks. Basically all of PBS and then Mrs Kondo should come and take care of me.

Edit: Julia Child. Is who I was thinking of.
 
Last edited:
Gorgeous. Wish I had the talent.


Think of it this way, it's just a puzzle with a bunch of pieces you have to put together. The fun part is you get to make the pieces.

That's really all there is to it.
 
James Krenov

THAT was the name I was trying to remember.

The chest on stand was very good. In that particular style I prefer Spanish Vargueno's, but what you built was nicely done.


This is NOT MINE, just showing what one looks like. Usually there's a drop front that can be used for a writing desk.

093-FUAR3408053-spanish-vargueno-with-hunting-scenes_fb730cfc-5b7a-4594-9006-d3e99b2894e3_x310.jpg





You do great work. I have seen pics

He does. Shame he deleted the images.
 
THAT was the name I was trying to remember.

The chest on stand was very good. In that particular style I prefer Spanish Vargueno's, but what you built was nicely done.


This is NOT MINE, just showing what one looks like. Usually there's a drop front that can be used for a writing desk.

093-FUAR3408053-spanish-vargueno-with-hunting-scenes_fb730cfc-5b7a-4594-9006-d3e99b2894e3_x310.jpg









He does. Shame he deleted the images.

Thats too much work
 
Back
Top