Please Nominate Lit writers

holliday1960

Literotica Guru
It's been a while since I've posted on the boards here, and because it isn't easy to get responses from the site lately, I may be out of line with this. I'm going to give it a shot anyway. (especially since our Lit awards haven't been active in almost two years now.) If this post is not allowed, I'm sure the mod will remove it. In the meantime, I feel it's worth mentioning.

The nominations for the 2018 Clitorides Awards are in process as we speak. We have a few Lit authors who have already been nominated, but they need our support... and any others who haven't been nominated, but should have. I know the link isn't allowed here, but you can google it. Please support our Lit writers. Nominate and Vote so we can keep them writing.

It would be nice if you voted on them because of the comparative quality of their stories. Writing contests voted in the basis of "vote for your friends" might as well not be run to begin with. They aren't really writing contests. Sorry, but as a writer who does enter writing contests (and does have a couple of stories in this contest in a different account name and hasn't and won't promote the storyies on author popularity), a call to go to writing contests and vote for our friends because they are our friends doesn't cut it with me--and shouldn't cut it with any serious writer, either.

Last edited:
It would be nice if you voted on them because of the comparative quality of their stories. Writing contests voted in the basis of "vote for your friends" might as well not be run to begin with. They aren't really writing contests. Sorry, but as a writer who does enter writing contests (and does have a couple of stories in this contest in a different account name and hasn't and won't promote the storyies on author popularity), a call to go to writing contests and vote for our friends because they are our friends doesn't cut it with me--and shouldn't cut it with any serious writer, either.

I don’t think Holliday was suggesting ‘vote for our friends because they’re our friends’, was she? I think her call was to nominate and vote for worthy stories by Lit authors. And it sounds as if you may have a couple of stories that qualify on that basis. Good luck. :)

I know the link isn't allowed here

Last year, I posted the links repeatedly, and they either didn't have a problem with it or didn't notice. I really wouldn't consider this to fall under the "promote other sites" rule, any more than a mention of Google would.

For anyone looking for it, here's the link: Clitorides Awards

To be honest, the problem is that without prominent links, Lit stories are obviously going to lose to stories from other sites that more prominently let their users know about the award, which is disappointing, but there's nothing we can do about it.

I don’t think Holliday was suggesting ‘vote for our friends because they’re our friends’, was she? I think her call was to nominate and vote for worthy stories by Lit authors. And it sounds as if you may have a couple of stories that qualify on that basis. Good luck. :)

Thank you, Sam for your attempt to clarify on my behalf. I'm a bit stunned that anyone would take my post that much out of context; especially, KeithD whose work I've always supported both in 'free site' form and on the open market to people who were seeking to purchase GM erotica. He knows that, as well as the fact I do have friends who write in the same category he does. But, so far, I've not nominated them. I'm confused and just a bit offended by the chastisement, but I will get over it. In time...with therapy...and a multitude of distractions to keep me otherwise occupied so I don't dwell on it forever.:rolleyes: That said, nominate and vote, please.

Last year, I posted the links repeatedly, and they either didn't have a problem with it or didn't notice. I really wouldn't consider this to fall under the "promote other sites" rule, any more than a mention of Google would.

For anyone looking for it, here's the link: Clitorides Awards

To be honest, the problem is that without prominent links, Lit stories are obviously going to lose to stories from other sites that more prominently let their users know about the award, which is disappointing, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Thank you, Valint, for your input and the link. Hope it stays.

It's just a bugaboo of mine. We've had posters promote Lit. authors in contests elsewhere purely on the basis of them being Lit. authors, without any reference to actually reading/comparing/assessing the stories in the contest--any of the stories. I frankly didn't see "go to the contest and vote for the best stories you find" in the OP either. The vote up or down based on something other than the story is what I see in the Literotica contests too and have to find some other reason than assessment and comparison of story quality to continue doing the contests here. Added here is that, as an author, you have to grit your teeth until the final sweeps because of all the gaming going on.

It's just a bugaboo of mine. We've had posters promote Lit. authors in contests elsewhere purely on the basis of them being Lit. authors, without any reference to actually reading/comparing/assessing the stories in the contest--any of the stories. I frankly didn't see "go to the contest and vote for the best stories you find" in the OP either. The vote up or down based on something other than the story is what I see in the Literotica contests too and have to find some other reason than assessment and comparison of story quality to continue doing the contests here. Added here is that, as an author, you have to grit your teeth until the final sweeps because of all the gaming going on.

Well, you should know me better than that by now. But you are right. The wording could've been better, clearer I suppose. Thanks to all of you for bringing it to the forefront. The important thing is for people to be aware of the Awards and to vote for the stories they believe to be deserving of the honors. Myself, I'd love to see lots of Lit writers make good, but there are other sites with great writers, too. We'll see what happens when the votes come in. Here, Keith...have a toothpick for all that grit! Good luck, everyone!

Well, you should know me better than that by now. But you are right. The wording could've been better, clearer I suppose. Thanks to all of you for bringing it to the forefront. The important thing is for people to be aware of the Awards and to vote for the stories they believe to be deserving of the honors. Myself, I'd love to see lots of Lit writers make good, but there are other sites with great writers, too. We'll see what happens when the votes come in. Here, Keith...have a toothpick for all that grit! Good luck, everyone!

I know it's my bad, but I don't remember knowing you. I don't remember names--even account names--too well, unless they are Middle East terrorists or Cambodian generals (and I assume you are neither), although I think I've managed at long last to forget the name of Norodom Sihanouk's little yap yap dog (no, I haven't--his wife, Monique, actually named the toy poodle Fifi).

It's sort of a point, though, that if you were my best friend, I would be negating the point I was trying to make to not post the same bugaboo. The contests should be about comparable story content, not author connections.

Last edited:

Hi Holliday, great to see you back. There’s a few LIT writers nominated but it doesn’t get the publicity with readers that the other site provides. And there’s a few writers that put their stories on both sites. I’ve got a few stories nominated there and they’ve even picked up a few votes. I’ll have to link on my Facebook page I think.

The other thing that works against literotica is the mandatory completed story. On storiesonline where most of the stories are located it will tell you when a story is finished. On lit we don't have that. Do we nominate individual chapters or how do we nominate a full work, and is it actually finished?

The other thing that works against literotica is the mandatory completed story. On storiesonline where most of the stories are located it will tell you when a story is finished. On lit we don't have that. Do we nominate individual chapters or how do we nominate a full work, and is it actually finished?
That's an odd comment. Wouldn't you only nominate a story that you know to be a complete work, because you've read it? Then just link to the first chapter, because the Lit system lists all chapters.

That's an odd comment. Wouldn't you only nominate a story that you know to be a complete work, because you've read it? Then just link to the first chapter, because the Lit system lists all chapters.

Well... that would be an assumption, wouldn't it? But some readers don't agree with writers as to when a story is finished. That isn't what this thread is about.

However, I think that was one of Keith's original points, actually. My mistake for assuming everyone would automatically know the rules and procedures, much less the professional ethics, and social morality of holding an honest contest. I didn't post here to be a teacher, a preacher or guide of social conscience, but now, I feel obligated to say... Let me clarify this again:

For the record, FIRST, PLEASE READ, then nominate your favorite completed story, and vote for who you believe to be the most deserving authors.

I could go on and on about all kinds of sticky points, but in the end, it's much simpler to say, "Read. Nominate. Vote. Be honest." It was my original intent to create a thread to remind people to nominate and vote, as well as giving the writers a place to say, "Hey! I've been nominated for... (fill in the blank)... please give my story a read and a vote if you think it's good."

Come on, people. You all know self-promotion is virtually the only advertising you get. So, speak up!

Who's in this contest? What work is nominated that you are most proud of? If you want others to notice someone you've read and admire, feel free to promote your nominee here. Not everyone's tastes are the same, so give us an idea of WHY you think an author, or one of their stories is worthy of the nomination. Everyone is invited to participate in this discussion. Jump in.

Hi Holliday, great to see you back. There’s a few LIT writers nominated but it doesn’t get the publicity with readers that the other site provides. And there’s a few writers that put their stories on both sites. I’ve got a few stories nominated there and they’ve even picked up a few votes. I’ll have to link on my Facebook page I think.

Hi there, Chloe-baby! Missed your smiling face, too. (But alas, no... I'm not back.) Just poking my nose through the door to encourage people to keep writing, and to poke a few into action to vote for those they think are deserving of recognition. So, before everyone goes getting their panties in a knot, I'm only making a temporary 'guest' appearance on the boards. I'll be gone again, quicker than a cat can lick its... whiskers"... yeah, that works. Let me say to you Chloe-girl... very proud to see your writing achieve the status it has.

Congratulations to everyone who's been nominated thus far. And good luck in the voting! There's lots of talent in the arena. Everyone should be proud just to have their name pitched in the hat.

I was nominated on Lit as 'Most Influential Poet' - a single nomination.

Unsurprisingly I didn't win but what was the person nominating me drinking at the time? :rolleyes:

On lit we understand that but the Clitorides are mostly associated with storiesonline where a complete story is self contained. Also word count comes into effect when you have to count the number of words to know if a story is epic enough.

On lit we understand that but the Clitorides are mostly associated with storiesonline where a complete story is self contained. Also word count comes into effect when you have to count the number of words to know if a story is epic enough.

Hey, ttvttp... I had time today to check this out and I read the rules again to see if I missed something. I couldn't find anything that said Epics had to be so many words. (I guess that is dictated by the site where it is posted and Lit has no real 'rules' in that regard. I'd say 'epic' is in the eye of the reader in this case.) And Epic isn't the only category to nominate a story in.

I noticed today that while we have a respectable number of Lit writers nominated for various stories and categories, there does seem to be a significant difference in the number of nominations that writers from other sites are getting compared to our Lit writers. (That applies across the board.)

Again, I encourage the AH members to nominate and vote. And I'll go a step further than that. If you feel you have a story worth nomination, let others know. Post a notice on your bio asking if readers like your stories to nominate them. A lot of readers don't know about the Clitorides and the only way they'll know is if we spread the word that Lit writers do qualify for entry into the contest.

Lit has some wonderful writers; they work hard to entertain the public, so they deserve some recognition. Even if they don't 'win' by the numbers, they deserve to know that someone appreciates their talent. The nomination alone speaks volumes in that regard.

So, thanks to anyone and everyone who have made nominations so far.

I just went and looked at the Clitorides main page. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, just as an observation. Aren't all of these "contests" really more of a popularity contest than a contest to determine the best story/author? Our own contests included.

In order to honestly vote, wouldn't it be required to read every story entered? Only the top ten with the most votes get to be in the Finals. That amount of reading would take months to wade through. Thus, one is forced to fall back on something/someone known. It's impossible to have an unbiased vote IMO.

Am I missing something?

PS: I'm not saying one way or the other on whether to vote, just curious.

I took second place for Horror in the 2006 Clitorides when I was virtually unknown, so it's not entirely a popularity contest.

The nominations are probably more of a popularity contest, but the finals have a core of very dedicated readers ( dedicated enough to pay a subscription fee, because authors get all the paid features for free eventually ) on SOL who are undoubtedly taking the time to read all the finalists and vote critically.

Those same readers are also looking through the nominations of people/work they aren't familiar with, because I had several notes from people mentioning that they found me through the nomination, and added their own after reading me.

I'd say nominate away without worrying overmuch. Once it comes time to vote, take the time to read before you cast a vote, though. Only read in categories you're truly interested in, which will help narrow it down. That way you don't become part of any popularity wave.

First time I've even looked at the Clitorides site this year. I'm leading the noms for Short Erotic Story of the Year with "Harper's Fairy". Didn't expect that one. First time I've been nominated in years.

I just went and looked at the Clitorides main page. I don't mean this in a derogatory way, just as an observation. Aren't all of these "contests" really more of a popularity contest than a contest to determine the best story/author? Our own contests included.
I think you're probably right, and noting the number of times a story is in for multiple categories seems a little excessive to me. Maybe a single story can be all things to all readers, but I tend to think not.

But, being nominated there (as I am, shameless self-promotion) might bring some more traffic over time, we'll see. Not seen it yet, though.

The traffic bump on Lit may be minimal, because Lit has always had very little representation in the Clitorides. They've historically been very SOL-centric.

I had some nice bumps from all my noms on SOL, and did end up getting some crossover traffic because not all of my work is available on any one site. ( except my own website )

I think you're probably right, and noting the number of times a story is in for multiple categories seems a little excessive to me. Maybe a single story can be all things to all readers, but I tend to think not.

But, being nominated there (as I am, shameless self-promotion) might bring some more traffic over time, we'll see. Not seen it yet, though.

If you look at contests in general, aren't most of them popularity based? That's the whole point, actually. Unless it's luck of the draw. The Academy Awards are based on fellow artists' opinions; how popular the actors, writers, directors, special effects, etc., among their peers.

And Eebs, just like some songs are cross-over category music, some stories are as well. I found one I wanted to nominate was a crossover, and I made a judgment call on what category to nominate it in, and it would appear at this point, I made a wrong choice and it was rejected because its original category wasn't the one I chose. I contacted the writer and he said agreed it should have fallen into the category I nominated it in. I may go back and change my nomination.

I want to thank RejectReality for enlightening those of us, like myself, who haven't been around long enough to know all the behind the scenes details of how it works. I think it's great someone had the idea to just give some pats-on-the-back to aspiring writers and I feel like it was a worthy project.

It does seem to me that the advantage goes to the other site simply for this reason, there's little cohesion among the writers of Lit. Which is what I have stressed from day one. I'll never understand the mindset here that YOUR success detracts in some way from ME or MINE. It's why most of us came to Lit, for support from our peers and our Literary heros, the ones we admire and aspire to be like. Most of the old timers on Lit don't even bother to read other writers works anymore. It's sad. There should be room for the old and the new here, and a little hope for those who dream of becoming a 'popular writer' someday.

Please take time to put a smile on someone's face today. Nominate and vote for those you think are the 'best of the best'. And to those of you who have already been nominated, ElectricBlue66, RejectReality, KeithD, Chloe, BlackRandl, Bebop, SamScribble, DeathandTaxes, AnnabelleHawthorne, DT Iverson, DragonCobalt, SolarRay, QHML, RoryOmore, HDK, DeYaken... (This is just some of the names I recognized) CONGRATULATIONS!!! :rose::heart::rose:

For story categories-how many words they have to be-here are the restrictions.

Flash Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, up to 1,000 words (or 5KB of text)
Short Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 1000 and 10,000 words (or 5KB to 50 KB of text)
Medium Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 10,000 and 50,000 words (50KB to 250KB of text)
Long Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 50,000 and 100,000 words (250KB to 500KB of tex)
Epic Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, more than 100,000 words (500 KB and up of text)

https://clitoridesawards.org/docs/category_definition.php

Right there it tells you what an epic story is.

For story categories-how many words they have to be-here are the restrictions.

Flash Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, up to 1,000 words (or 5KB of text)
Short Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 1000 and 10,000 words (or 5KB to 50 KB of text)
Medium Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 10,000 and 50,000 words (50KB to 250KB of text)
Long Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, between 50,000 and 100,000 words (250KB to 500KB of tex)
Epic Erotic Story of the Year:
Any erotic or sex story, more than 100,000 words (500 KB and up of text)

https://clitoridesawards.org/docs/category_definition.php

Right there it tells you what an epic story is.

Well, speechless here, ttvttp. Thank you for this. Do you know, I tried finding this and on my computer it it wouldn't pull it up until I clicked on the link you provided? Now, I'm kinda understanding what some others said about the site being difficult to navigate. Wow. Again, thank you so much for this. Although this is a a little disheartening. I certainly understand now what you meant by counting words. Readers aren't going to do that. What are they thinking?
Touche, ttvttp. For those in the running, good luck! Sorry I left you out earlier Blind Justice. Congrats on your nomination as well! Good luck everyone!

Back