WTF/FUNNY Gifs, Pics, & Videos: Volume 3: Farting In Wal-Mart

9JM0fGv.gif

When you see a white "fog" in front of you, keep driving as fast as you can. No reason to slow down and see what's going on.

In the early 1970s I moved with my family to a very small town. The hardware store was operated by two women I only remember as "Frick and Frack," because that's what my circle of friends called them. They were lesbians.
Beyond the nickname, which was a lot tamer than what we called the guy across the street with the small grocery, no one cared that they were lesbians. Years later, I was baffled that it was considered brave to "come out."

Precisely. There's actually a very big example of that which occurred in my hometown of New York City. From 1978 to 1990 we had a famous mayor named Ed Koch, as you know. Everyone in New York knew he was gay. Instead of living in Gracie Mansion, the traditional mayor's residence, he lived in a townhouse in the West Village, the famously gay neighborhood of the city. The local papers were always reporting about the young men seen coming and going from the townhouse at all hours. Everyone knew and...nobody cared. Thus, as you say, some years later when "coming out" became a thing and we were all supposed to be impressed and/or scandalized when someone did so, I, like millions of other New Yorkers, shrugged and ordered another bagel.

Now, please tell us what you called the guy who owned the grocery store. The suspense is killing me. :D

Precisely. There's actually a very big example of that which occurred in my hometown of New York City. From 1978 to 1990 we had a famous mayor named Ed Koch, as you know. Everyone in New York knew he was gay. Instead of living in Gracie Mansion, the traditional mayor's residence, he lived in a townhouse in the West Village, the famously gay neighborhood of the city. The local papers were always reporting about the young men seen coming and going from the townhouse at all hours. Everyone knew and...nobody cared. Thus, as you say, some years later when "coming out" became a thing and we were all supposed to be impressed and/or scandalized when someone did so, I, like millions of other New Yorkers, shrugged and ordered another bagel.

Now, please tell us what you called the guy who owned the grocery store. The suspense is killing me. :D

As a NYer, I remember things differently:

Newsday-Im-heterosexual-IS.jpg

Back