"Top Kill" fails

Well, I would think that waiting until the end of this one and finding out what actually happened would be what a prudent man does rather than condemning and hanging after only hearing from the prosecution witnesses...
Oh, personally, I'm happy to wait and see what happens.

I live in California.

But Ayn Rand's idea of selfishness as a virtue doesn't really make for a strong nation.
 
Ah, so your solution is to turn a blind eye and let it go - hoping nature will just wash it away and in the meantime thank the good lord for $2.85 a gallon gas.

When the outrage is of regional nature - That is time for government intervention. A leaking tanker truck - meh. A flawed drilling system - in use in multiple places which can pollute entire oceans and destroy the lives of millions - is perhaps important enough to get our Elected politicians action?

No?

You sound like a whiney Liberal now...

"Blind eye?" really kbate, going for the emotional jugular?

This is nothing more than the Global Warming Alarmist cry" YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE! You think the earth is flat and 7,000 years OLD!

Before the advent of drilling, oil was to be found all over the surface of this planet and tarballs abounded on the beaches. It might be argued that driving on past every accident we've ever had not only taught the oil companies what to do better, but actually, in the long run made our environment cleaner (unless like our engines, it had gotten used to running on a little lubricant).

What we do know is that with every accident, the proponents of state control and serfdom took the opportunity to press their claims home.

This is where you and Perg leave me, you say you are Libertarian, but when it comes to Gaia, you both believe in Big Government not seeing that by taking the middle way, you lose any and all standing to anyone else's claim to big government.

The government should have simple clear laws about harming others and collecting damages, and it should be the fear of collecting those damages and the bad PR of a public market keeping those companies in compliance with being good shepherds of all our resources.

I do know that our press is providing one side, and ONLY one side of the story; it's one they've had written in their heads for YEARS!
__________________
"As the 20th century drew to a close, the connection between hard scientific fact and public policy became increasingly elastic. In part this was possible because of the complacency of the scientific profession; in part because of the lack of good science education among the public; in part because of the rise of specialized advocacy groups which have been enormously effective in getting publicity and shaping policy; and in great part because of the decline of the media as an independent assessor of fact."
Michael Crichton, 2003 lecture at Caltech "Aliens Cause Global Warming."
 
Oh, personally, I'm happy to wait and see what happens.

I live in California.

But Ayn Rand's idea of selfishness as a virtue doesn't really make for a strong nation.


Well, it's only shrimp and people who live in a place plagued by hurricanes anyway. Shrimp was already expensive and nobody needs shrimp.

Plus, hurricane season is only 2 months away and that will (if we're lucky enough to get a class 3 - wash away all of the oil currently on the beaches and surface, dispersing it harmlessly over millions of square miles.

AND as an added benefit - hurricane season begins approximately at the same time the relief wells are expected to be completed - proving once again that BP and the Oil Industry - in a well balanced meld of man and nature have saved the region rather than polluted it.

They should be praised in advance and even (dare I say) be granted tax credits.
 
Oh, personally, I'm happy to wait and see what happens.

I live in California.

But Ayn Rand's idea of selfishness as a virtue doesn't really make for a strong nation.

I can't take care of you if I can't take care of me.

That's not Rand's base thesis either, just an observation of man's history. She's closer to our founding fathers than most anyone in government today...

Then again, she lived the logical outcome of government as the protector.
__________________
"Society has for its element man, who is a free agent; and since man is free, he may choose -- since he may choose, he may be mistaken -- since he may be mistaken, he may suffer....
I have faith in the wisdom of the laws of Providence, and for the same reason I have faith in liberty."

Frederic Bastiat
 
You sound like a whiney Liberal now...

"Blind eye?" really kbate, going for the emotional jugular?

This is nothing more than the Global Warming Alarmist cry" YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE! You think the earth is flat and 7,000 years OLD!

Before the advent of drilling, oil was to be found all over the surface of this planet and tarballs abounded on the beaches. It might be argued that driving on past every accident we've ever had not only taught the oil companies what to do better, but actually, in the long run made our environment cleaner (unless like our engines, it had gotten used to running on a little lubricant).

What we do know is that with every accident, the proponents of state control and serfdom took the opportunity to press their claims home.

This is where you and Perg leave me, you say you are Libertarian, but when it comes to Gaia, you both believe in Big Government not seeing that by taking the middle way, you lose any and all standing to anyone else's claim to big government.

The government should have simple clear laws about harming others and collecting damages, and it should be the fear of collecting those damages and the bad PR of a public market keeping those companies in compliance with being good shepherds of all our resources.

I do know that our press is providing one side, and ONLY one side of the story; it's one they've had written in their heads for YEARS!

A large difference between looking for BIG government and looking for Sanity when failure of industry can lead to regional disasters.

The purpose of government is to set up rules protecting both the markets and the people. Your ideas are pure Rand - anything goes and fuck anyone between me and profits, and that has merits. Its merit ends when industry is large enough that one error can change a region for the worse.

Asking for more oversight over offshore oil rigs - is not asking for BIG Government. It is asking for Government to do it's job and protect the interests of Many American Businesses from the errors of ONE business.

Few are crying about being forced to install scrubbers on their coal plants. We like having less sulfur and mercury in our air. Damn the government for raising the price of coal power. Nobody complains that the AEC forces reactors to be inside layered containment domes even though it adds to the cost of nuclear power. Damn the government for raising the price of nuclear power! Damn them. What's a little radiation, it might even mutate our crops into better producers!

Do you really believe industry will clean up and operate safely without oversight?
 
The government is simply powerless to do anything which is why BP is still in charge.




THAT's reality, not emotion...

You are asking the Government to round up twice the usual number of suspects and yet even after they do that Ilse and Victor are still going to get on that plane with the letters of transit...

You're just setting them up for their next big failure (and in doing so, allowing them to absolve themselves of any blame in this passion-play, like the 9-11 commission and the Fannie Mae fiasco, they'll pin the blame on middle-management when it was actually their mismanagement most likely to blame by giving us false security which caused us not to examine them too closely on election day), their next round of studies, finger-pointing and regulations and which point they are going to hire either the Fox or the Hound.

Again, I ask you which one should we hire this time?

:( :( :(

Fox or Hound - who gets the blame when the next round of regulations fail?
 
Do I believe they will?




Under a Objective Libertarian court, the answer is yes. Plaintiff can present damages, even remedies...

Under our subjective government someone is always going to win and someone is always going to lose. Deep pockets will always win by contribution in cash and expertise and we, the tax payers will always lose, usually a bit of our liberty and a chunk (taxes) of our life.
__________________
When under the pretext of fraternity, the legal code imposes mutual sacrifices on the citizens, human nature is not thereby abrogated. Everyone will then direct his efforts toward contributing little to, and taking much from, the common fund of sacrifices. Now, is it the most unfortunate who gains from this struggle? Certainly not, but rather the most influential and calculating.
Frederic Bastiat
 
The government is simply powerless to do anything which is why BP is still in charge.

THAT's reality, not emotion...

You are asking the Government to round up twice the usual number of suspects and yet even after they do that Ilse and Victor are still going to get on that plane with the letters of transit...

You're just setting them up for their next big failure (and in doing so, allowing them to absolve themselves of any blame in this passion-play, like the 9-11 commission and the Fannie Mae fiasco, they'll pin the blame on middle-management when it was actually their mismanagement most likely to blame by giving us false security which caused us not to examine them too closely on election day), their next round of studies, finger-pointing and regulations and which point they are going to hire either the Fox or the Hound.

Again, I ask you which one should we hire this time?

:( :( :(

Fox or Hound - who gets the blame when the next round of regulations fail?
Let's have Congress pass a law that says that when any company releases more than 250,000 barrels of oil into the ocean, its President, Chairman of the Board, and the entire board of directors shall be beheaded, and the company liquidated, the proceeds to go toward the US National Debt.

A law like that would cost the taxpayer nothing.

But if it had been in effect before this fiasco, I'd bet dollars to donuts the disaster wouldn't have happened.
 
All this begs the question:

Why in the hell are they drilling for oil in mile deep water?

There is any easy answer.





Why are we drilling in 5,000 feet of water in the first place?

Many reasons, but this one goes unmentioned: Environmental chic has driven us out there. As production from the shallower Gulf of Mexico wells declines, we go deep (1,000 feet and more) and ultra deep (5,000 feet and more), in part because environmentalists have succeeded in rendering the Pacific and nearly all the Atlantic coast off-limits to oil production. (President Obama's tentative, selective opening of some Atlantic and offshore Alaska sites is now dead.) And of course, in the safest of all places, on land, we've had a 30-year ban on drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

So we go deep, ultra deep – to such a technological frontier that no precedent exists for the April 20 blowout in the Gulf of Mexico.

There will always be catastrophic oil spills. You make them as rare as humanly possible, but where would you rather have one: in the Gulf of Mexico, upon which thousands depend for their livelihood, or in the Arctic, where there are practically no people? All spills seriously damage wildlife. That's a given. But why have we pushed the drilling from the barren to the populated, from the remote wilderness to a center of fishing, shipping, tourism and recreation?
Not that the environmentalists are the only ones to blame. Not by far. But it is odd that they've escaped any mention at all.


By CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER
 
Let's have Congress pass a law that says that when any company releases more than 250,000 barrels of oil into the ocean, its President, Chairman of the Board, and the entire board of directors shall be beheaded, and the company liquidated, the proceeds to go toward the US National Debt.

A law like that would cost the taxpayer nothing.

But if it had been in effect before this fiasco, I'd bet dollars to donuts the disaster wouldn't have happened.

*chuckle*


You're right and Obama and his State Religion of Gaia would have just the sort of gas prices they need to breed the Scots out of Scotland...

:D
 
The government is simply powerless to do anything which is why BP is still in charge.




THAT's reality, not emotion...

You are asking the Government to round up twice the usual number of suspects and yet even after they do that Ilse and Victor are still going to get on that plane with the letters of transit...

You're just setting them up for their next big failure (and in doing so, allowing them to absolve themselves of any blame in this passion-play, like the 9-11 commission and the Fannie Mae fiasco, they'll pin the blame on middle-management when it was actually their mismanagement most likely to blame by giving us false security which caused us not to examine them too closely on election day), their next round of studies, finger-pointing and regulations and which point they are going to hire either the Fox or the Hound.

Again, I ask you which one should we hire this time?

:( :( :(

Fox or Hound - who gets the blame when the next round of regulations fail?

The problem is really quite simple. The government has grown beyond the ability to manage it's own affairs. Compounding the problem by demanding that the government overlay even more levels of bureaucracy is folly.

The ultimate expression of government has already begun to show itself, "Just say no." Anyone that has had any dealings with the government on any level fully understands that response. No government official has ever been reprimanded for saying "no". Go try to pull a permit for a construction job that is anywhere near innovative.

Government is anti-progress because progess is risk and bureaucrats are risk adverse.

Whether a risk was unacceptable or not is defined within the parameters of success or failure. It's axiomatic that all failures are asserted to have been brought about by unacceptable risks.

Ishmael
 
I see a light shining through the cracks ...

Chris Matthews Finds His Backbone, Criticizes Obama’s Incompetence


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xF4y7DeIg




" You screw up, you should be able to fix the problem.

Number 2, this is our North American land mass. This is part of our birthright. With the Grand Canyon, with Niagra Fall, Yosemite.. These are some of the wonderful things that we hope will always be here, the Gulf of Mexico. Is more important than the presidency. This president has no acted that way! Like this is more important than a fundraiser… or interview about basketball..

He doesn’t seem to be taking ownership. Presidents must seize control when something like this happens."




"I think this is more like the Iranian hostage crisis that brought down Jimmy Carter, think Katrina. It’s more like a situation where Churchill had to enlist every ship to get the men off Dunkirk. Or Harry Truman had to draft the mine workers…

This is big time and he [Obama] hasn’t acted like it’s big time!"



"Why doesn’t he [Obama] operate in an emergency situation, the way Harry Truman would, and said we want all these super-tankers that do business in this country to get out there and start sucking up this petroleum. Millions and millions of gallons out there. It’s not going to go away unless it’s collected.

Why do we keep treating this like a BP business problem when it’s affecting our very society and our continent?

We’re treating it like a lower grade problem than it is, it’s clear to me."





"This President is NOT acting like Commander-in-Chief!

I don’t see a chain of command. I don’t sense it’s war time conditions at all.

All through this time I have not sensed that this president has been chief executive."

 
I'd love to see the president have fireside chats like Roosevelt. Report off to use. We get snippets that are addressed to others, we have rare press conferences.

I'd like to see him talk about what he is doing with each of the cabinet members to change how we do government. I'd like a little transparency.
 
I'd love to see the president have fireside chats like Roosevelt. Report off to use. We get snippets that are addressed to others, we have rare press conferences.

I'd like to see him talk about what he is doing with each of the cabinet members to change how we do government. I'd like a little transparency.

You mean you want him to be the man he claimed he was going to be?

*chuckle*

The GREAT Uniter...

Upshot:

What has subjective central government achieved,

It limited competition by protecting BP,
It punished the entire industry and us with a tax because of BP,
It managed to press home the argument, "We didn't have enough control, oversight or resource (but trust us NEXT time),
It enables via regulation and contribution of deep pocket and expert to establish an Oligarchy and protect itself from competition by prohibiting the little guy from entering the market and making it too costly for the middle guy to advance in the market,
It has managed to create a climate of blind panic by presenting only one side of the story and stampeding us into relinquishing our reason and thus our liberty,
It has, again, managed to divide us and give a moral superiority (in the name of the State Religion of Gaia) that authorizes us to shout at hate anyone who differs from the Papal Bull's newly established orthodoxy.

__________________
"The disconnect between what Obama says and what he's doing is so glaring that most people could not abide it....* reconciling blatantly contradictory objectives requires them to engage in willful self-deception, public dishonesty, or both. The campaign to pass Obama's health-care plan has assumed a false... cloak of moral superiority. The pretense of moral superiority dissolves before all the expedient deceptions used to sell the health-care agenda. "
Robert J. Samuelson
Economist and long-time pundit for the WaPo and Newsweek
 
Would someone remind us again why the nation elected this man to be president? A man with no resume, a man with no experience in running anything other than a political campaign, a man who is ignorant of history, economics, and technology? A man who is shallow and lazy? A man who shares neither character nor temperament with the American people in this vast republic? How did this happen?

Voters were smitten by the ideological handmaidens of identity politics and the promise of big government. The identity politics substituted a cosmetic profile for character and experience. The promise was that big government has the benevolent power and enlightened expertise to remake America from the top down into a more capable, more caring, kinder, gentler, and more respected place.

What we've received instead was on display at the president's long-awaited press conference in the last week of May. Only a partisan or a fool could deny the irredeemable failure of these ideological handmaidens, the genius of Obama's shrinking presidency. No amount of posturing, buffing up, or Q&A briefing book drills could hide the reality that this man is on a raft at sea accompanied by an equally bewildered boatload of companions who have no idea how they arrived in such deep water, hundreds of miles from land, and with no clue that they are in trouble, let alone what to do about it.

What we've received instead from the ideology of identity politics and big government has been the spread of competency and accountability so thin that the federal government is utterly incapable of defending our shores and borders from invasion -- one by sea in the form of a massive crude oil slick, the other by land in the waves of illegal immigrants flooding Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California. In utter exasperation, the citizens of Arizona finally took matters into their own hands, only to be vilified by Obama and his cohorts, who have neither the will nor the capacity to do anything about it.

Identity politics is where grievance-mongering and class resentment intersect with entitlement agitation and representational profiling. Those who use the currency of identity politics appeal to the ideals of justice and fair distribution of resources and outcomes. But in reality they prey on those who are underprivileged and dependent, making claims of dispossession against those who have enjoyed success and independence derived from their own sweat, equity, and competence.

Leaders who devote all of their energy and emotional capital to identity politics instead of creating a competent, skills-based organization soon discover that when critical decisions need to be made and highly skilled resources need to be mobilized, nobody is around who knows how to do it. Such leaders, eventually tuned out and abandoned by even their former acolytes, become irrelevant, easily overwhelmed by events and rivals, taking their organizations -- even a nation -- down with them.
Geoffrey P. Hunt
American Thinker
__________________
In all these cases, Obama commendably wants to help the less fortunate. But he seems to care far less for those who act responsibly — except to demonize them if they question whether it is fair or wise to subsidize those who at times don’t.
Victor Davis Hanson
 
For kbate especially, maybe Perg...

Virginia Postrel has a knack for changing the way people think about everyday phenomena. As editor of reason during the 1990s, Postrel predicted how Western enthusiasm for Marxism would, in the wake of communism’s collapse, transfer seamlessly to a top-down, regulatory brand of environmentalism. When the World Wide Web triggered the excitable imaginations of censorious legislators, she calmly explained that thick strains in both major political tendencies cling to the precautionary principle at the expense of liberating progress.

In The Future and its Enemies (1998), Postrel tossed aside the traditional left-right paradigm and posited a new post–Cold War divide between “dynamists” and “stasists,” in which the former championed choice and creativity and the latter clung to fear and control. In The Substance of Style (2003), she unpacked the economics of design and offered an appreciation of the Age of Aesthetics. And when she donated her own kidney to a woman on the organ waiting list in 2006, Postrel introduced tens of thousands of people to the once radical idea of organ markets in a way no academic treatise ever could. In each of these cases, those who encounter Postrel’s work will never look at the subject the same way again.

...

reason: You’ve called glamour a beautiful illusion. A lot of people would say that describes President Obama.

Postrel: Yes, President Obama is a very glamorous figure. Glamour is a particular form of illusion. It’s an illusion that tells a truth about the audience’s desires, and it requires mystery and distance. During the campaign people projected onto Barack Obama whatever they wanted in a president or even in a country. Lying is usually a bad thing, but they would project onto him that he was lying about his positions because he secretly agreed with them: “Anyone that smart has got to be a free trader at heart. He’s just saying this to pander to those idiots. He can’t really mean it.”

You’ve seen, as he’s taken office and tried to govern, this back and forth where he is consciously or unconsciously trying to maintain his glamour—which requires a kind of distance from the political process so that people can continue to see him as representing them, regardless of their contradictory views—while actually trying to be president, which means you have to decide what to do about Guantanamo. You have to decide what health care bill you’re going to back. You have to decide all these things, and you’re going to make somebody disillusioned. This morning I saw that the former editor of Harper’s is about to write a book, The Mendacity of Hope, attacking Obama from the left. That’s the power and the downside of glamour.

reason: I’m going to read you something you wrote in an April 2008 column: “Obama’s glamour gives him a powerful political advantage, but it also poses special problems for the candidate and, if he succeeds, for the country.” Can you explain what you meant and how it has played out?

Postrel: The flip side of glamour is horror. People say, “Oh, there’s something he’s hiding. It must be something terrible.” They say “he’s secretly a radical Muslim” or “he’s secretly really born in Kenya.” As opposed to saying he has policies that are bad for the country. So that is one type of disadvantage.

The other is the one that I just talked about, which is that there is always this capacity for disillusionment. People have projected so much of what they think, including things that are sort of impossible, onto a glamorous figure, that when any flaw shows up the glamour is dispelled and suddenly he becomes terrible.

Reason.com
__________________
"I tell you my biggest fear for Barack Obama, he has been sainted. He is Saint Barack. The same mainstream media that tried so desperately to get him elected has engaged in hyperbole, engaged in exaggeration. They have deified this man. ... They have set up such unrealistic expectations that no politician could meet those expectations."
Joe Scarborough
 
Remember: once you organize people around something as commonly agreed upon as pollution, then an organized people is on the move.
Saul David Alinsky
Rules for Radicals


Few of us survived the Joe McCarthy holocaust of the early 1950s and of those there were even fewer whose understandings and insights had developed beyond the dialectical materialism of orthodox Marxism.
Saul David Alinsky
Rules for Radicals


"I am a radical, Leftist, small "c" Communist.... Maybe I am the last Communist willing to admit it.... The ethics of Communism still appeal to me."
William Ayers

Ayers
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=619131
 
You sound like a whiney Liberal now...

"Blind eye?" really kbate, going for the emotional jugular?

This is nothing more than the Global Warming Alarmist cry" YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN SCIENCE! You think the earth is flat and 7,000 years OLD!

This wouldn't be one of your non-ad-hom attacks would it? Managed to get you to drop the L bomb after only one day of posting. I'd say I've still got it.
 
This wouldn't be one of your non-ad-hom attacks would it? Managed to get you to drop the L bomb after only one day of posting. I'd say I've still got it.
You got the "L-bomb and Famous Strawman Attack Combo." (Generally $4.99 at "Debates-R-Us")

I'd say you've still got it.
 
This wouldn't be one of your non-ad-hom attacks would it? Managed to get you to drop the L bomb after only one day of posting. I'd say I've still got it.

Hey, you're usually the thoughtful, albeit cynical, Libertarian thinker of the group and I felt perfectly comfortable in pointing out a strange deviation in your persona and style.




;) ;) :kiss: :rose:
 
I... don't see any deviation.

Oh, trust me on this one, she's a deviate...

The follow-up material provides the reasoning to my abrupt calling-out, for it is true, Marxism made it's home in the environmental movement, where it could take advantage of fear and emotion (Glowball Warning ring a bell) and our Pres__ent is a classically-trained Marxist from birth.

They use "threats" to the environment to make us accept big government, and as I stated before, once you accept Central Control for your issue, you have no moral high ground to stand on when someone else wishes to use that power to engage in the group politics of "Social Justice..."

I want her to be aware of that which she is enabling for on many levels I respect her, as I respect you, but do not fear to differ from or take to task.

;) ;)
__________________
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
Cornelius Tacitus
 
We should just open the Gulf up for an oil free for all. If you have a pipe and can suck it, go drill! Have fun! Do it however you like, safe or not we do not give a fuck.

Cheap oil until it runs out. We can clean it up later.
 
Back
Top