An idea for a new challenge for Fall

legerdemer

lost at sea
Joined
Dec 11, 2014
Posts
7,319
August is rapidly waning and September is looming, and I thought folks might be up for a new and somewhat different poetry challenge. See how this strikes you all, if it leads you to flights of poetic fancy: write a poem about a relationship (or a character) that's highly meaningful to you - could be love, but could also be friendship, or a parent's or child's love (or even a relationship between objects rather than people) - and express it by incorporating science concepts that particularly trigger your imagination. The poem should be at least 12 lines but no longer than 24.

I'll post the poems anonymously and we will comment and rank the poems based on how well the poem weaves science in with the subject of the poem, and how successful the poem is overall. I am very interested in how others would do this, as it's something that interests me (Heisenberg's Principle).

Please comment if this is of interest.
 
Sounds interesting to me. I know at least a couple of the poets have already done something akin to this so I see there being some takers. Hopefully I'll actually finish a contribution for this one :D
 
Hopefully an idea or two will come to this high school dropout.
 
i'll see what arrives :eek: if anything. like mag's last challenge, your mention of the scientific skeered off my muse. more something right up H's alley with his background. but i will try. promise. :rose:
 
Great idea, here is a senyru I posed elsewhere and will not enter in your challenge but would like to share here

dark matter fences

though her lips may smile
an ineffable sadness
lies behind those eyes

for despite my best
intentions, never would I
see them shine for me

tis not a fairy
tale, our paths must never cross
dark matter fences​
 
Slight modification to the science-in-poetry challenge

Thank to all who will give it a go. To make the challenge a bit easier, I have removed the line number minimum/maximum requirements - the topic of the challenge is hard enough as it is, lets give inspiration maximum free rein.


So: write a poem about a relationship (or a character) that's highly meaningful to you - could be love, but could also be friendship, or a parent's or child's love (or even a relationship between objects rather than people) - and express it by incorporating science concepts that particularly trigger your imagination. The poem can be any length as long as it can be recognized as a poem.

I'll post the poems anonymously and we will comment and rank the poems based on how well the poem weaves science in with the subject of the poem, and how successful the poem is overall.

Send in your poems whenever you're ready. I'll begin posting September 1 or shortly thereafter.
 
I am a dunce with respect to science, but I think I can rustle up a metaphor or two.
 
Science in poetry - give your muse a wake up call!

I have gotten a few entries. I will start posting tomorrow.

Keep them coming!
 
Back
Top