Dave's Zombie Proof Bunker and Refuge for Unattached Wimmens

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, now that's a job I could really get into. I'd be the world's best Professional Cuddler.. I'm sure I'd need a professional name or something though...
The Huginator.....Queen Huggley... Mistress of Snugglefuck....wait..that would be a different job, wouldn't it?? :eek:
 
oh, now that's a job I could really get into. I'd be the world's best Professional Cuddler.. I'm sure I'd need a professional name or something though...
The Huginator.....Queen Huggley... Mistress of Snugglefuck....wait..that would be a different job, wouldn't it?? :eek:

I'd totally hire you for a snuggle.

The other job I want is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I would LOVE to open up an Anger Room up here. *sighs*
 
Last edited:
And don't even get me started on "rushers". the people that want their glasses right. freaking. now. I got a call from a woman who's leaving at the end of the week for a vacation and wants new glasses for her kid. That usually takes at least a week but nooooo she wants them ready before she goes. Well why didn't she come the heck in two weeks ago, she presumably knew when her vacation would be. Most places take a week or so, and those that don't are very very expensive indeed. It takes time for the lab to do all the things the need to do to make your lenses, cut and mount them, then ship them to us. It takes longer if you want fancy lenses. Why oh why won't some people plan the heck ahead?
 
I stretch and purr, ruffling a hand through my messy hair and straightening my ears. Things have been relatively quiet which makes for a relaxing time, but there's been an under-current of restlessness that makes the hair on my neck rise if I pay too much attention to it.

I wrap my fingers around the little bell on my collar, muffling the ringing for a moment, and make my way to the kitchen. I wonder if anyone else is awake, or even still here? There seems to be an odd lull in the mornings-- some wake and are gone just after sunrise, and others hate the morning and prefer to sleep straight through.

I pick a few pieces of cereal from my milk with my fingers and eat them thoughtfully, licking the last of the milk from them with a sigh before picking up my spoon.
 
Why oh why won't some people plan the heck ahead?

Because, Dear Friend, as you know, we live in a "Want it now" society.

We used to go to the library and do our research or check out a book. Now we push some buttons on our laptops and Wikipedia vomits information into our lap and Kindle downloads our book.

We used to go to the video store and look for Princess Bride. Now we turn on Netflix and watch it instantly.

We used to go to the Gap to buy out shitty clothes. Now Amazon allows shitty clothes to be shipped directly to our homes.

We're becoming a less and less socialized society and our manners are failing us. Social interactions are handled clumsily, often rudely, and with no grace or thought of the other person's feelings. Those who serve are treated as impersonally as an ATM machine or the Redbox kiosk. Those who come out of their homes and move outside their anonymous online comfort zones and interact with those in the service sector and treat you this way are showing their ass.

It's a sign of good upbringing when someone can be served without making the server feel as this woman has done to you. It's a sure sign that this woman has no concern for others especially those who serve and specifically, one who has had to "disappoint" her with the news that her instant gratification is not forthcoming.

What could you have done? I don't know. Short of pouring on more care and concern for her and her problem to make her self conscious (if that's even possible), I think the simple answer is to stick to your guns and continue to tell her what her options are.

"We need X amount of time to make your spectacles, but there are shops who do it in a rush for a different fee structure. Would you like a list of them?"

In my own roles as the one who serves, I have employed different techniques to diffuse situations in which I have little power to satisfy the customer or guest. If it's simply impossible to put together a pair of glasses for her in the time she has, do what I mentioned above. Tell her who can do it. Let her find out that her lack of forethought has a price. She will either leave for her trip with a kid that can't see or she will pay a higher price for a lab that can make those glasses faster. I bet she has a conversation in her mind, asking herself if there is a value in it to her to pay a higher price for a more quickly made pair of glasses. And lesson learned, she will either go to spend her money in the market of commerce next time with the information that instant gratification costs more for a reason. Or she will continue to stumble blindly through life, never catching on that the common denominator in why everything around her is so disappointing is her.

But here's the point: It's not you.

You've done nothing wrong. She can't have everything she wants. We all know this. But she's taking her frustration out on you. And you have to unfortunately be a better person and smile and say, "Yes, Ma'am," while silently contemplating her early demise. It isn't personal until she makes it so. Doesn't matter what she says though, you're not at fault. You're not in the wrong. Don't let her make it about what you can't do.

You're right; people suck. I tend to operate from a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, although I probably hide it most times. Expect the worst, but hope for the best. Don't let someone get the chance to screw you over. In a very civilian sense of things, I love Marine General James Mattis' rule for his men to live by in Iraq. "Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

But all the same, hope for the best and look for it in people. They'll surprise you. The ones who don't--the ones who act like the 'tards you've described--don't matter.
 
I pick a few pieces of cereal from my milk with my fingers and eat them thoughtfully, licking the last of the milk from them with a sigh before picking up my spoon.


Worried about my favorite feline, I watch her pad through the kitchen and make her morning meal. She's been concerned about something, but with the stoicism of a cat, she has fought to keep it to herself. And as for myself, I am troubled too.

But I know that stroking the fur of a kitten calms the mind, restores peace, and feeds the soul.

I step out of the shadows and move just as quietly as she would until I am right behind her. I watch her eat from behind and above then wordlessly, reach out and begin petting her.
 
I step out of the shadows and move just as quietly as she would until I am right behind her. I watch her eat from behind and above then wordlessly, reach out and begin petting her.

I pause for a moment, slightly startled, but then smile and resume eating with a soft happy purr. "Mornin' Dave. I thought you'd be out and about already. Cereal?" I motion to the open box still on the table, but hope he doesn't accept. That would mean an end to those lovely stroking fingers, and it seems I needed than more than I'd realized right now...
 
Good morning all. :)

Dave :kiss:

RA, if you figure out how to be a professional cuddler, let me know. I could get into that job. :)

Whip, I'm sorry people suck. :(

Hi Playful. ;)
 
I motion to the open box still on the table, but hope he doesn't accept. That would mean an end to those lovely stroking fingers, and it seems I needed than more than I'd realized right now...


I'll pet you for as long as you'll let me, but alas kittens are fickle. I have to remind myself that at some point, you will grow bored with the attention and simply get up and walk away. So for now, I will pet and stroke and scratch you, while my soul quiets.
 
Last edited:
I'll pet you for as long as you'll let me, but alas kittens are fickle. I have to remind myself that at some point, you will grow bored with the attention and simple get up and walk away. So for now, I will pet and stroke and scratch you, while my soul quiets.

The last mouthful of breakfast goes down like lead and I glance at the pack and gear I'd piled beside the front door in the night. It felt like ages since those boots had been on my feet. I push the bowl away, and cross my arms on the table, resting my head on them and closing my eyes. Trying to let the rhythmic petting pull the tightness from me, even if just for another few moments...
 
The last mouthful of breakfast goes down like lead and I glance at the pack and gear I'd piled beside the front door in the night. It felt like ages since those boots had been on my feet. I push the bowl away, and cross my arms on the table, resting my head on them and closing my eyes. Trying to let the rhythmic petting pull the tightness from me, even if just for another few moments...
* slips in and ever go gently strokes her back, then setting my hands on her tight shoulders and slowly working the tightness away*

Its okay. Just me. You'll be alright.
 
* slips in and ever go gently strokes her back, then setting my hands on her tight shoulders and slowly working the tightness away*

Its okay. Just me. You'll be alright.

I let Whip's fingers press and knead my muscles, working like magic, but doing nothing to still my thoughts. Finally I turn and wrap my arms around her in a tight hug, whispering gruffly, "Thank you, honey."

I move to the door, and start to put on my gear. It feels a little funny, restrictive, the clothes, the belt, the pack, after having been free in the bunker. I'm a little reluctant to pull the ears off, but I put them aside with the soft tail, and unclip the bell from my collar, the last thing to stay. With one last deep breath I open the door, move my shotgun on my shoulder, and walk out into the sunshine.
 
tumblr_mhqtrpwDvT1qjtenho1_500.jpg
 
Good morning all. :)

Dave :kiss:

RA, if you figure out how to be a professional cuddler, let me know. I could get into that job. :)

Whip, I'm sorry people suck. :(

Hi Playful. ;)
Thanks. At least I feel confident where I work. Despite having noone to back me up cause I usually work alone, I feel way more capable and clever then in any of the other places I've been. Anyways, I have today off and at least one day off next week too.
 
Thanks. At least I feel confident where I work. Despite having noone to back me up cause I usually work alone, I feel way more capable and clever then in any of the other places I've been. Anyways, I have today off and at least one day off next week too.

I'm glad you feel confident at work. Confidence is a wonderful (and sexy) thing. :rose:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top