Brit's Book of Ideas

tumblr_ngsk4gIMnQ1r2fr72o1_1280.jpg
 
Novel excerpt

Because I needed to write something and this was the first thing that came to mind. :rose:

Several hours later, the jeep trundled back over the bridge to bring Callum back to the house. Over hill and down valley they had driven and while he was pretty exhausted, he had to admit he'd enjoyed almost every moment of their tour. Everyone he had been introduced to had been delightful. True, they had all eyed him warily as he'd approached with his hand outstretched and his most winning smile flashing brightly, but once he had passed whatever unspoken test they had set for him they seemed to warm to him in moments. These tests mainly seemed to focus on his opinions and impressions of Fairholm so far. To which he had replied with genuine excitement that he was enjoying his time in the area a great deal. The young laird tried to keep count of the amount of hands his shook but he soon lost count. Hamish remarked, as they climbed back into the jeep after what was supposed to be a quiet stop to check the map, that while he expected they would meet some residents while out on their exploration, he never expected to meet quite so many. Callum just smiled. He was certain that the two women he had met in the post office upon his arrival had been spreading the word about his arrival in earnest and he felt a twinge of something like pride that he might be dispelling whatever impression they had given of him.

Climbing out of the cab Callum was genuinely surprised to notice how good it felt to be back at the house, a sense of homecoming that he hadn’t expected. Hamish yelled out of the car window that he’d get the jeep back to the garage and then pop in to the house before he left, the car crunching over the stones in the driveway as it headed away. Callum was about to head into the house, a cup of tea sounding pretty perfect at that moment, when he noticed the warm orange light pouring over the house. The setting sun was bathing Fairholm in its last rays and without really realising it, Callum found himself wandering away from the house. Drawn almost by an unseen power, he followed a small walkway that ran around the building and ended at the side of the water. A rather rickety looking jetty jutted out into the water, with a dubious looking boat tethered to it. From where he stood he was treated to an unhindered view of the sunset. Pinks and oranges streaking the sky as the sun slowly sank lower and lower, moving ever closer to the horizon. The hills and mountains that surrounded the reservoir almost looked to be aflame, so bright was the light that covered them. The water sparkled in the sunlight and for a few minutes Callum wasn’t even sure he was breathing, he didn’t want to ruin the tranquillity of the moment. Even slightly.

The colours in the sky deepened as the sun dipped beneath the distant hills, oranges giving way to reds, pinks morphing into purples. It was only when the sun finally disappeared from view that Callum realised just how long he had been stood there. The wind suddenly felt cool and rubbing his arms through his sweater to get a little heat back into them he began to jog back to the house. Booted feet thumping steadily across the grass.

Until a noise somewhere behind him stopped him. Frowning he stopped moving and glanced back over his shoulder. The wind was picking up, starting to whistle through a broken window in one of the many outhouses he had yet to fully explore. It had sounded like a snapping sound. A twig breaking under foot or a stone scraping over another.

“Hello?” His eyes moved across the uneven stretch of grass between him and the water.

“Hamish, that you?”

There was no answer and he was starting to get the same feeling he’d had that first night in the house. Uneasy. As if he was not as alone as he believed he was. The wind ruffled his hair and sent a shiver down his back as it danced across the nape of his neck.

“Maggie?” He hoped it was her and not just because that would mean he wasn’t losing his mind. Some of her forthright common sense would be perfect just then, plus she’d more than likely have something sugary and reassuring tucked away in a tin in the kitchen too that would go perfectly with a mug of tea.

Nothing but the wind met his ears and as his eyes moved over the scenery he found it a little disconcerting just how quickly it had darkened since the sun had sunk behind the distant mountains. Shaking his head he started back towards the house when he heard it again. A cracking snap, quiet but distinct. And closer than before. Freezing mid stride he was torn between turning around and just running like hell for the door.

Someone, something, was out there with him.
 
tumblr_n0okwaVnix1t6ocs0o1_500.gif


Every light that shines into someone's life, casts a shadow into someone else's.
 
How odd, this makes me think of that idea I was telling you about.

Oooh! I hadn't thought of that but yes! There are elements that are similar.

This was something I'm thinking of working on for Camp Nano this April :eek:
 
Yay for Nano Camp!!!!!!

Also that gif is super creepy.

I have the germ of an idea that might work as a novel so we'll see if I can make anything of it before camp starts. If not...a-editing I will go :D

I know, right? Which is kinda why I love it.

Plus I used to have such a crush on Anthony Perkins after watching that movie for the first time.

Yes. I know how weird I am.


coughs awkwardly and grins
 
Back
Top