The "Let's All Nag Angeline to Finish NaNoWriNo" Thread

Well here it is Sunday and I'm almost halfway through the contest. Fourteen days. This monring I'm at 31,981 so it's reasonable to assume I'll be at the two-thirds mark for the contest in a day or two. I so want that t-shirt!

Amazingly (to me) it's getting easier to write, not harder. The more the characters have become real the easier it becomes to imagine what they'd do or say in a given situation. And the outline, though I've deviated from it here and there, is holding up and is my bff. :D

One thing I'm finding is that some characters who I thought would be minor at best have taken on lives of their own and insisted their way into bigger parts. And a few, who I thought would play a big role, still seem flat to me. They've become less important.

I'm one or two scenes away (iow a day at most) from finishing the first section. There will be three sections in the novel, so I'm thinking the draft will end up between 90-100k. I'll be well into the second section when I finish this contest. When I finish (I will finish), I'll go back and read all I have and decide if I want to keep going, if it's good enough. But I think I will. It'll need big work but I knew it would when I started this.

So what should I do if I finish (the draft, not the contest)? I know I should edit it, but if I think it's good, what's a next step? Self publish? Send it somewhere? Try to find an agent to read it? I know some of you have been down that road. Suggestions?

Oh and thanks again for being the bestest, naggiest poets ever. The poetry forum has been berry berry good to me. :kiss:
You know, the more authors I speak with share the same perception that once the plot is established, the characters begin to take over and tell their own version of the story. They're gonna do all the work for you, all you are required to do is to be the secretary at the board meeting who takes minutes and occassionally reminds the chair to get back to the agenda.

You're going to be successful in this and I'll be showing up at the book signing in Asheville to meet the author, her mate and that other fella down there who would be a marvellous sidekick for anyone from Joisey. Say hello to tt2u and ee for me, please.

I won't congratulate you yet but wahooooo!

Initially, I nagged like a Jewish mother, and now I am nagging like a bitch on the rag:

When the fuck are you going to fucking finish the fucking story, you fuck? All in love. I love you. Fucking do something though, like FUCKING FINISH! God, FINISH NOW! Yes ... finish, that's it, oh, yes ...... yeesss!
:kiss:

You know, the more authors I speak with share the same perception that once the plot is established, the characters begin to take over and tell their own version of the story. They're gonna do all the work for you, all you are required to do is to be the secretary at the board meeting who takes minutes and occassionally reminds the chair to get back to the agenda.

You're going to be successful in this and I'll be showing up at the book signing in Asheville to meet the author, her mate and that other fella down there who would be a marvellous sidekick for anyone from Joisey. Say hello to tt2u and ee for me, please.

I won't congratulate you yet but wahooooo!

tungtied is coming over on Thursday. Maybe I'll make him look at (not read-- it's too messy now) and verify the existence of the opus. I'm on page 91 (single spaced!).

I've already been successful at proving to myself that I can write fiction and keep it up on a daily basis. I do plan to finish the first draft and from there we'll see if it deserves more. I will definitely be writing more fiction no matter what. This is addictive and I'm getting all kinds of ideas!

And you are right, the characters have taken over the asylum that is my mind. I very soon have to kill one of them off and that will be hard to write, but I'm gearing myself up for it. I keeping remembering that John Irving said somewhere in one of his novels I read recently that a novelist must revel in the ugly stuff, not shy away from any of it.

I'm at 37,838. Not sure if I'll crack 40k today but I might.

Initially, I nagged like a Jewish mother, and now I am nagging like a bitch on the rag:

When the fuck are you going to fucking finish the fucking story, you fuck? All in love. I love you. Fucking do something though, like FUCKING FINISH! God, FINISH NOW! Yes ... finish, that's it, oh, yes ...... yeesss!

Are you getting off on this? :D

When the fuck are you going to fucking finish the fucking story, you fuck? All in love. I love you. Fucking do something though, like FUCKING FINISH! God, FINISH NOW! Yes ... finish, that's it, oh, yes ...... yeesss!:kiss:

I'm betting it's not half as much fun as that ^ sounds. :D:kiss:

38,938. 40k is not happening tonight. I need the night off!
And you've earned a day off, m'dear. Right now, you only need to write something like 830 words a day to finish. Piece o' cake, right?

You will finish. I have no doubt about that. What I think you need to think about is where you go from there. Is what you have a real draft of a novel? Can you find an agent? Do you think you want an agent? (You've brought this up before.)

Writing a novel is the first step. Publishing it is the, much more difficult, second step.

Hey. Don't mean to be Captain Bringdown here. You need to finish the draft. It's the first step.

Which you are doing very well.

And you've earned a day off, m'dear. Right now, you only need to write something like 830 words a day to finish. Piece o' cake, right?

You will finish. I have no doubt about that. What I think you need to think about is where you go from there. Is what you have a real draft of a novel? Can you find an agent? Do you think you want an agent? (You've brought this up before.)

Writing a novel is the first step. Publishing it is the, much more difficult, second step.

Hey. Don't mean to be Captain Bringdown here. You need to finish the draft. It's the first step.

Which you are doing very well.

Well I haven't written yet today, either, but I will tackle it in a little while. I'm just under 40k (wrote some more after I posted last night). It's actually getting difficult to not write this thing: I feel like the main characters are constantly in my mind, telling me what happens next and to snap to it!

I'm not thinking about next steps too much; I'm too busy writing. For one, the 50k mark will cover around two-thirds of the first draft. Maybe a bit less. I think I do want to finish a first draft just to prove to myself that I can. Beyond that I dunno. I think there are parts of this draft that are very good and other (bigger parts) that will need excision or serious revision if I want to try to publish. For one thing, I need to do some big time adverb weeding. And I don't even have a copy of Writer's Market yet, (but I think Santa-eyez will be taking care of that).

I know for sure that I want to keep writing; maybe some short stories after this is done--however it is done. I feel like I must keep writing every day and get the practice in so my weak spots--dialogue, character development--improve. I know they will if I keep practicing.

Stephen King said something in his On Writing, too, that I want to explore. He said he never worries about plot. He "unearths" plot like a fossil after creating a situation. So his novels always begin with a situation: "what would happen if...." As you know I have a strong plot outline for Sweet Time (my working title), but I've been far from rigid in following it. I think next I want to try the "what if this happened" approach and see how it works for me. And at the same time I'll study the Writer's Market and see if I can find some viable places to submit either the Sweet Time synopsis or short stories yet writ.

Mainly I'm learning a lot, and learning a lot is my favorite thing to do. Always has been.

And no, I will not call you Capt. Bringdown lol. You, and this thread, have been a godsend in keeping me going.

enjoy the breather - it'll serve to renew your energy to keep up with your characters' demands :eek: :D :kiss:

enjoy the breather - it'll serve to renew your energy to keep up with your characters' demands :eek: :D :kiss:

You have beautiful eyes. Do you mind if I use them? Stick them in some character's head? :D

I just passed 40k: I wrote about 500 words and there I was. And I'm going back to write more, after I eat something. This is what happens, lol. I don't think I'm ready to write and I open the document and fiddle a bit and next thing I know another scene is done!

But I'm in the home stretch for the contest. Less than 10k to go. I feel like I've just climbed the Alps.

PS Oooh I can pick out my t-shirt soon!

You have beautiful eyes. Do you mind if I use them? Stick them in some character's head? :D

I just passed 40k: I wrote about 500 words and there I was. And I'm going back to write more, after I eat something. This is what happens, lol. I don't think I'm ready to write and I open the document and fiddle a bit and next thing I know another scene is done!

But I'm in the home stretch for the contest. Less than 10k to go. I feel like I've just climbed the Alps.

PS Oooh I can pick out my t-shirt soon!
well blow me - that's a first! being asked if i'll donate me peepers :eek: well of course, if you want them, lol. i think they look a bit more dramatic in the av cos the bright sunlight whiting out my face and freaking out the webcam, but go for it if it makes you happy :D and, erm, thanks :eek:

soooooo many words. i can't begin to tell you how impressed i am with your output, enthusiasm, and lack of whinging! :D it's brilliant that your characters are driving the write, though. I've read Kings On Writing, and whilst some purists may disagree with him and hold his own writing up with disdain, i love reading his stories. He's a writer i don't tire of, even if it often feels he's trying to rewrite the same story but in different ways, from different angles ... i pick him up, snuggle down, and am always loathe to put him down till the last page is read. you could do a whole lot worse than follow in his footsteps, imo :kiss:

well blow me - that's a first! being asked if i'll donate me peepers :eek: well of course, if you want them, lol. i think they look a bit more dramatic in the av cos the bright sunlight whiting out my face and freaking out the webcam, but go for it if it makes you happy :D and, erm, thanks :eek:

soooooo many words. i can't begin to tell you how impressed i am with your output, enthusiasm, and lack of whinging! :D it's brilliant that your characters are driving the write, though. I've read Kings On Writing, and whilst some purists may disagree with him and hold his own writing up with disdain, i love reading his stories. He's a writer i don't tire of, even if it often feels he's trying to rewrite the same story but in different ways, from different angles ... i pick him up, snuggle down, and am always loathe to put him down till the last page is read. you could do a whole lot worse than follow in his footsteps, imo :kiss:

I think he's underrated, always have. I think that because he came out of the pulp fiction genre, he has never earned the respect he deserves. But then what does he care? He has a ton of money. He's an incredible storyteller, a better storyteller than a writer overall imo, but he has written stuff that I think is literary and great, and a lot of stuff that's just great story.

We lived near him in Maine. He has a huge house in Bangor but I think he and his wife are snowbirds now. They live in Florida in the winters. The Kings are really nice people who have donated a lot to Maine. They built a library and a huge swimming complex for kids in Bangor and I don't know what else. Plus he goes to a lot of Red Sox games, which makes him A-ok in my book!

eagleyez waited on him once years ago. EE was running a bonsai kisosk in the Bangor Mall one holiday season, and Stephen came looking for Christmas presents. This was in the early 1980s. EE said he stared at a tree and asked "Will it die?" Lol, guess he's obsessed with his genre. And I actually saw him shopping in Wal-Mart once, which cracked me up.

This novel writing is biting
into my occasional invite
to sample Ange's creations.

Her fingers flurry surely
adding spice and sugar
yet my hunger goes unrequited

A chance to feast, at least
comes tomorrow, I'll sample
her ample wares, and share

Her deep delicious dish.

:) :heart:

tungtied is coming over on Thursday. Maybe I'll make him look at (not read-- it's too messy now) and verify the existence of the opus. I'm on page 91 (single spaced!).

I've already been successful at proving to myself that I can write fiction and keep it up on a daily basis. I do plan to finish the first draft and from there we'll see if it deserves more. I will definitely be writing more fiction no matter what. This is addictive and I'm getting all kinds of ideas!

And you are right, the characters have taken over the asylum that is my mind. I very soon have to kill one of them off and that will be hard to write, but I'm gearing myself up for it. I keeping remembering that John Irving said somewhere in one of his novels I read recently that a novelist must revel in the ugly stuff, not shy away from any of it.

I'm at 37,838. Not sure if I'll crack 40k today but I might.

Are you getting off on this? :D

This novel writing is biting
into my occasional invite
to sample Ange's creations.

Her fingers flurry surely
adding spice and sugar
yet my hunger goes unrequited

A chance to feast, at least
comes tomorrow, I'll sample
her ample wares, and share

Her deep delicious dish.

:) :heart:

Just confirm that I wrote the draft, wiseass. :D

:heart:

You are doing something that I wish I had the nerve to do and I'm so glad I get to share your endeavour :rose:

Back