Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 05-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #76
Kethandra
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by weftandwarp View Post
Thank you.
The only problem with my entry was that it was a poem, a ballad. We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others. The contests on Lit preclude poems/ ballads which is a pity because the presentation of them can be enormous fun, funny and they are often very memorable.

I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #77
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
Back at the time she was talking about we had a couple of groups either trying to disrupt the contests to the point that they would be stopped or gaming the system. Both groups are gone now so it really doesn't apply at this point.
I bowed out of the contests when they were such an annoying bloodbath. This current thread is refreshing.

I was looking at an old Nude Day entry of mine and looked over the comments - five from great people no longer here largely due to the 'bloodbathers.'

While I miss them the current crop is a lot of fun!

Nude Day express - here I come.

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You sir, have a mucky mind" - Dianthus 7/26/10
"Yes, it's official. You are cute!" - slave_ 09/09/10
"Now, you are a cute smart ass" - slave_ 10/21/10
"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #78
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
Nude Day express - here I come.
Cool!

A follow on question. Does the story have to include an actual Nude Day or a Nude Day event? Or just getting down to nudity without a formal Nude Day in the story. That's the bit I'm not clear about.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 05-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #79
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Cool!

A follow on question. Does the story have to include an actual Nude Day or a Nude Day event? Or just getting down to nudity without a formal Nude Day in the story. That's the bit I'm not clear about.
Thanks!

Nudity is the main point.

I've always played with the fact it really is a recognized day. But I've read many a story where the character(s) are just noticeably nude.

The sky's the limit but clothes aren't

Happy writing!

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #80
Voboy
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Cool!

I hope not.

My take is that a character's nudity ought to be a significant plot point. That's what I'm doing anyway, and if I'm wrong the readers will presumably tell me so.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #81
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voboy View Post
I hope not.

My take is that a character's nudity ought to be a significant plot point. That's what I'm doing anyway, and if I'm wrong the readers will presumably tell me so.
As a reader as well as a writer I'm telling you not so.

You are right.

Happy writing.

product of my mucky mind

Old 05-31-2017, 01:59 AM   #82
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:

The sky's the limit but clothes aren't

HEY!! What's wrong with the sky???

Old 05-31-2017, 04:40 AM   #83
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Cool!

It's National Nude Day. It doesn't apply outside the US. In France it is Bastille Day, more universally celebrated there than National Nude Day is in the US.

As long as nudity is a significant part of the story I can't see a problem. I did nudity and Bastille Day once.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #84
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
The only downside of breaking the 'rules' of subject matter is that some readers could object, downvote and leave a negative but reasonable comment that influences other readers. I had that reaction for a Halloween contest story featuring costumes and ghosts but not the traditional US-style 'Halloween' itself.

As I have pointed out before, these are story contests. The rules mean that you can't enter a poem.
I highly doubt the readers care, Ogg. Maybe another author might pick up on it and comment, but in general? They're just reading a story in a category they like-as I doubt anyone reads stories just because they are in a contest-and vote accordingly.

Last Halloween Laurel let in a Christmas story. Santa in the title, the tag. X-mas all the way. I have no idea why the author did that...they're prolific, maybe they submitted the wrong story then figured what the hell let it ride?

Point is Laurel let it through showing she pretty much looks at nothing with contest stories and just rushes them through, but more on topic? I saw not one comment saying 'Um, this is a Halloween contest?" and the score was decent showing no indication it was unduly bombed.

It may have been different in the past, but my impression now is we could post something that has nothing to do with the topic and there will be little to no 'calling out' of that.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #85
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenR View Post
HEY!! What's wrong with the sky???
Its clothed in clouds.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #86
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Well, I'm relieved. Nudity I can do. I was half done and then kind of thought "whooaaaaa, what if I got this wrong" so you've all relieved me of that fear. Work on "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" may now proceed, fears abated. Thank you all

Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)

Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #87
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
I highly doubt the readers care, Ogg. Maybe another author might pick up on it and comment, but in general? They're just reading a story in a category they like-as I doubt anyone reads stories just because they are in a contest-and vote accordingly.

Maybe you have been lucky. I have had several anon comments on my contest entries complaining that I wasn't on theme. I don't usually do trick or treat for Halloween. I think Romance is enough for Valentine's Day. I have also had positive anon comments referring to the current contest.

I get many more views, votes and comments on my contest entries than on my non-contest ones. Some of my non contest stories seem to sink without trace taking some time to reach 10 votes.

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 PM   #88
Kethandra
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Cool!

Each reader enforces their own opinion on that one. The actual rules are pretty wide open and mainly rely on votes to punish theme-shirkers. My entry last year only mentioned Nude Day in a passing conversation that led to some nudity (and sex). One reader commented that I wasn't 'on theme' enough, but it appears they were in the minority because the story still won

The year before that, my entry took place at an organized Nude Day festival. The two stories are within .01 of one another, so I conclude readers don't care that much in terms of how they vote. They want sex and a story they can relate to, and, if you can work a little humor in, they seem to like that too.

I tend to use the themes as a springboard for inspiration, then write what I'm excited about.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #89
Kethandra
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
Maybe you have been lucky. I have had several anon comments on my contest entries complaining that I wasn't on theme. I don't usually do trick or treat for Halloween. I think Romance is enough for Valentine's Day. I have also had positive anon comments referring to the current contest.

I get many more views, votes and comments on my contest entries than on my non-contest ones. Some of my non contest stories seem to sink without trace taking some time to reach 10 votes.
Ogg, it seems to me you submit a lot of stories in the less read categories. Less votes means one or two pissy enforcement votes for not being on-theme enough will drag your score down more.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #90
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Well, I'm relieved. Nudity I can do.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much can be said just from that part.

product of my mucky mind

Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #91
litfan10
owner of slave_

I hope in the end I will have three stories of which I'll enter two.

One is finished but it is a serious goofball.

Still floating ideas for the main story.

The characters in my main series are going to celebrate Nude Day but as it's a series that will come out before the contest and not be a part of it. But it will be a heck of a lot of fun to write.

Happy writing all!

product of my mucky mind

Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #92
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much can be said just from that part.

Ooooookay. I can see I need to pick my words with greater care. Lol

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #93
Voboy
Really Really Experienced

Ever write a story backward? It's happening to me now, and it's actually kind of interesting.

I started out with a flash of an idea that quickly developed a clear beginning and, a bit later, a clear end, but scant middle. So I dashed off a few pages of beginning, a few more of end, and now I'm filling in the middle. And it's going fine. Goes to show there's no "blueprint" for writing; not for me, anyway. Each story really is its own little universe.

The weird part? I already like this deformed little story about 200% better than my "real" contest entry. Go figure.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #94
LeandraNyx
Brazenly Opinionated

Deleted

Last edited by LeandraNyx : 08-24-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #95
weftandwarp
Really Experienced

[quote=Kethandra;85973978]I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.[/QUOTE

I don't know. I was simply told that poems weren't allowed. My submission had to be in verse form because it indicated the woman's breathlessness and frantic desperation- it didn't work nearly as well in prose, it lost all its emotion and power. I too thought there was nothing in the rules about it. Indeed, as I remember (and it was some time ago) it simply said it had to be a story. Apparently a story can't be a poem, which was crazy, it ignores ballads. You were lucky. Well done. I like your creativity, your originality, your having a go. Thank you.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #96
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kethandra View Post
I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weftandwarp View Post
I don't know. I was simply told that poems weren't allowed. My submission had to be in verse form because it indicated the woman's breathlessness and frantic desperation- it didn't work nearly as well in prose, it lost all its emotion and power. I too thought there was nothing in the rules about it. Indeed, as I remember (and it was some time ago) it simply said it had to be a story. Apparently a story can't be a poem, which was crazy, it ignores ballads. You were lucky. Well done. I like your creativity, your originality, your having a go. Thank you.
Only Laurel can give the real answer to this query.

The format of a STORY seems to be anything. The same seems to be true for a POEM. I think the only real difference is the length. A story has to have a minimum of 750 words. A poem can be as short as you like.

If you want to write a story in verse and it will be longer than 750 words I suggest asking Laurel by PM whether it would be acceptable for the contest. If it is, it would be an idea to put a note in the Notes box after the required contest detail, explaining that it is a story in verse form.

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:

Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #97
litfan10
owner of slave_

Working on the main contest story this weekend - finally got an inkling of an idea.

Generally, unless I'm told to - I never write in first person, yet this story is coming to me in first person so out of my box I go.

I just reposted my old (and honestly favorite Lit story) 2010 Nude Day debacle "Once Upon a National Nude Day"https://www.literotica.com/s/once-up...nal-nude-day-1
Writers enjoyed it while non-writing readers hated it - lowest scoring story I ever had here. The new reposting is doing the same. Some things never change.

And because absolutely nobody requested it, my goofball 2017 Nude Day story is a take off (not sequel) of it entitled: "Over the River and Through the Woods on National Nude Day." (that is if the Literotica system will let me do a title that long! )

Happy writing everyone!

product of my mucky mind

Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #98
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Working on the main contest story this weekend - finally got an inkling of an idea........

Happy writing everyone!
Me too. Half way thru "The Temptation of Sammi Woo", finished the end, finished the beginning and big chunks of the middle done and I know what's happening all the way through. So now all I have to do is finish it. The hardest part!!!!!

I'd still like to do that skydiving one ("Going down, Skydiver?") - and hey, it's been done and there's the airgasm video to prove it....

Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #99
litfan10
owner of slave_

Quote:
Me too. Half way thru "The Temptation of Sammi Woo", finished the end, finished the beginning and big chunks of the middle done and I know what's happening all the way through. So now all I have to do is finish it. The hardest part!!!!!

I'd still like to do that skydiving one ("Going down, Skydiver?") - and hey, it's been done and there's the airgasm video to prove it....
Happy writing!!

product of my mucky mind

Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #100
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

A bunny is stirring, its just a matter of can I find time. I'm bogged down in red ink from my editor on my sequel to Abigail.
But the wife's going away next week so Maybe I'll have time then because I won't be distracted.