Comments and feedbacks

York1234

Virgin
I am pretty new of the site and I am still exploring it.

I am interested mainly in the stories and I noticed how many people comment remaining Anonymous, especially when they add a bad comment.

First I would say to these people, are you afraid to tell what you think openly or you do not have the guts and prefer to hide in the dark...?

Second and this is my personal way to comment, even in my private life and at work.

I praise in public and criticize in private.

I mean, if I make a compliment I like that everybody around knows about it.
It gives something to the person receiving it, spurring him to keep on doing well.
So i would add a good comment to a story - as I did.

About critics. I give them in private, explaining the reasons to help the person to understand my point and improve. Bad comments in public do not take anything good and can only "humiliate" or annoy who receives them. In this case I would send a "private feedback" to the author and never "that was rubbish" or "I will never click on this author again in future" - as I read.

Sorry if I bored you. I am new here, as I said. :)

Last edited:
I am interested mainly in the stories and I noticed how many people comment remaining Anonymous, especially when they add a bad comment.

First I would say to these people, are you afraid to tell what you think openly or you do not have the guts and prefer to hide in the dark...?

Second and this is my personal way to comment, even in my private life and at work.

It gives something to the person receiving it, spurring him to keep on doing well.

About critics. I give them in private, explaining the reasons to help the person to understand my point and improve. Bad comments in public do not take anything good and can only "humiliate" or annoy who receives them. In this case I would send a "private feedback" to the author and never "that was rubbish" or "I will never click on this author again in future" - as I read.

Oh my days. You're bringing ethics and consideration to a place where these things are in rare supply.

Some of those Anons won't have accounts, because they're not writing on the site. Some of them might be writers, who're having a moment. I just delete them if they're not saying anything relevant. I'm more interested in the opinions of people I know can write themselves.

But it takes time and energy to leave thoughtful commentary. If you do as you've said, then you'll be a massive asset to any authors you do provide with feedback. :)

I think some people don't realize that their comments will be posted anonymously unless they specifically choose otherwise.

Oh my days. You're bringing ethics and consideration to a place where these things are in rare supply.

What I say is that the critics is always appreciate but IMO not when I read such idiot comments that brings nothing to the cause. :rolleyes:

and about my comments, some of the stories I like are pretty long so due to the lack of time, I just praise the author, not really going into details and pointing here and there. Just let him/her know that I enjoyed reading the story.

Last edited:
What I say is that the critics is always appreciate but IMO not when I read such idiot comments that brings nothing to the cause. :rolleyes:

and about my comments, some of the stories I like are pretty long so due to the lack of time, I just praise the author, not really going into details and pointing here and there. Just let him/her know that I enjoyed reading the story.

Even that will always be appreciated. Always. Sometimes it's like writing in an airless void. Sometimes you think you hear a tumbleweed roll past, and then think no, can't be. This is a vacuum...

Well, I prefer to avoid leaving a bad and harsh comment. I did not like a story ?
Fine, I say nothing at least in the open space. May be I tell in private but to help to improve not to "cut the author's legs".
I would feel like I am at the club and go to a girl to tell her how ugly she is and how cheap she looks.
I don't see the reason. it would not change the reality. i would not feel better and she would feel sad.

Now I go back exploring as I see the amount of material is indeed huge.... :)

In my experience, Mr./Ms. Anonymous has been about 50/50 in posting praise and punishment. After reading their comments, I usually know if they are trying to get a reaction or not. I regret when someone posts something helpful as Anonymous, and I can't thank them, properly.

What I lament are the comments from the commenter that uses their name, telling me how shitty I am as a writer, but when I view their profile, it's empty. Show us Bill Shakespeare, before thoust cast the stone.

I have also noticed that some people leave comments in which they say they have done something they shouldn't have, and these are always anon. For instance, if somebody says something like "I fucked my daughter too, and it was great," they would not sign that.

A lot of authors post anonymously or have two profiles so they can post comments without fear of retaliation.

I don't have any experience as a writer, I just started writing 10 days ago. I'm also new to Literotica and exploring the site. I posted a story which wasn't that good but it was my first one, someone commented saying, 'it's the worst story they've ever read'. Initially I felt a little discouraged, but there other people who asked me to ignore that person and keep working on my writing. I checked the rude person's profile and they haven't written anything. I think it's easy to comment rudely on someone else's work but very difficult to express your thoughts in words. I learn something from each story I read and some of them are just amazing! I make it a point to tell that to the authors, they've worked hard and deserve to be appreciated.
I completely agree with what you said about encouraging people in public and criticizing in private.

I completely agree with what you said about encouraging people in public and criticizing in private.

I don't agree at all about restricting criticism to private communications. I welcome all thoughtful comments, whether public or private. Each such means that someone thought enough of my work to put time and energy into doing a little more than merely read it (though I'm grateful for the latter, too).

I also think that a story with many comments is more likely to attract readers than one with few—and readership is what we all want. As an extra bonus, each comment appears, if briefly, on the genre's "front page," where it provides my story some free advertising.

And a writer whose skin is so thin that they can't take public criticism isn't worthy of the name.

Of course, there are throwaway comments; everybody gets them. And a throw-away comment is very likely to get just that: thrown away.

So read my stuff and criticize away—publicly or privately, however it pleases you.

I don't agree at all about restricting criticism to private communications. I welcome all thoughtful comments, whether public or private. Each such means that someone thought enough of my work to put time and energy into doing a little more than merely read it (though I'm grateful for the latter, too).
I probably won't be able to confine myself to the length of a commentbox if I decide to post a comment ;) I tend to have trouble keeping it short. A little praise or criticism isn`t all that bad to use in a comment, but once I start to get into it I prefer sending a message instead.
Not that I`ve done so far, but still ...

I'm also new to Literotica and exploring the site. I posted a story which wasn't that good but it was my first one, someone commented saying, 'it's the worst story they've ever read'.

This site has it's fair share of users that try and destroy new authors' self esteem by leaving negative comments.

I probably won't be able to confine myself to the length of a commentbox if I decide to post a comment ;) I tend to have trouble keeping it short. A little praise or criticism isn`t all that bad to use in a comment, but once I start to get into it I prefer sending a message instead.

Gentleman_G,

Given that your comments, I suspect, would always be well considered and always polite, even if you were full of concern about a work; I would say, comment in full. Intelligent, thoughtful feedback is rare on Lit, and I think most writers would value receiving your thoughts.

Better still, become a denizen of the Feedback Forum, and offer your services to those writers who actively seek feedback.

Go here: http://forum.literotica.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Last edited:

The comment box will expand, maybe indefinitely. I have seen some comments that were longer than the stories or essays. :eek:

I've copped negative comments for committing the terrible sin of attempting to make readers of my stories laugh.

Some readers must have been born with a rare genetic condition that left them with absolutely no sense of humor.

Anonymous, trashy comments...

Tend to be trolls, or even just snide readers who have nothing better to do than make themselves feel superior by belittling others. It is up to an author whether said comments remain on their page or not. I don't blame authors who delete them, they're a waste of space and it's something of an imposition on one's regular readers to expect them to slog through that drek.

I have many regular readers who peruse my comments sections and the useless flames piss them off. So, they're deleted. It's a simple courtesy to people who care. I do keep constructive criticisms, because they're legit and I intend to learn from them.

There's nothing constructive about a comment that states 'I hate your characters.' and nothing else.

If I enjoy another author's story, I'll leave a positive review. Any constructive criticism I have will be done by PM. I feel no need to pontificate in the Comments section for everyone to see.

Back