How to start a monster story

We'll only find variants of this theme in a few thousand TALES FROM THE CRYPT etc comix.

Did that ever happen in Tales from the Crypt or any of the other '50s comics? I'd love to read any specific stories you can think of where something like this happens.

Did that ever happen in Tales from the Crypt or any of the other '50s comics? I'd love to read any specific stories you can think of where something like this happens.
Sorry, without googling (or digging laboriously through my mag stacks) I can't point to specifics. I only have blurred memory flashes of 50's ECs, 70's Warrens and UGs, and more modern mutants. Human gets metamorphosed but tries to re-enter their lost life, and reclaim their lost love or gain a new object of desire. Something intervenes, or it was a lost cause from the start. Or he turns into a giant toad with a talented tongue that entices all the girls -- until the giant stork or Cajun poacher comes for him.

She is sitting on the dock in a small lake bordering the edge of a rather large swamp. She hears a noise and splashing at the end of the dock, so she gets up and goes to investigate. The planks of the last couple of feet of the dock are wet. She's wearing the wrong kind of shoes. She slips and hits her head against the dock as she falls into the lake.

When she awakes she is lying in the middle of the dock. Amongst her aches and pains she feels like she would after a particularly active night of sex. Also, the tension she previously felt over being stuck at this hick lake has vanished and she feels content.

The next day she is drawn to the dock and when there, sees the shadow of a great fish (?) in the water. As she is leaning out for a better look, an arm, a fluke, even a tentacle (dealer's choice) reaches out and pulls her into the water for what eventually becomes a few hours of aquatic frolic and interspecies debauchery.

The next day she is wearing a very risque swimming suit and when that fish shadow passes nearby, she jump into the lake.

The next day she is wearing a very risque swimming suit and when that fish shadow passes nearby, she jump into the lake.
Of course any species of monster (except mutated humans) who want sex with humans are pervo. For the monster, it's bestiality, like dolphins or orangutans raping women. What fetishes would a pervo monster entertain?

When she awakes she is lying in the middle of the dock. Amongst her aches and pains she feels like she would after a particularly active night of sex.

That's pretty dubious, consent-wise. I'm trying to write a story where a woman willingly chooses to have sex with a monster. No mind control, no "while she was unconscious", no "but then she gets to like it".
I do like the set-up of her coming back to the lake for more, though. I'm just trying to think of a way for the initial sex acts to be something she actively agrees to.

That's pretty dubious, consent-wise. I'm trying to write a story where a woman willingly chooses to have sex with a monster. No mind control, no "while she was unconscious", no "but then she gets to like it".
Quite. Willing monsterfuckers are best.

I do like the set-up of her coming back to the lake for more, though. I'm just trying to think of a way for the initial sex acts to be something she actively agrees to.
What are the monster's origin and nature? Is the lagoon-ite a revenant, a born mutant, a radiochemically-deformed ex, a lab creation, a human freak, an exiled rebel, a regular guy in a clammy suit, or what? Does he possess odd but useful appendages? What are his moods, powers, and odors?

Let's say he's a natural monster, a fairly human-shaped warm amphibian, but double-dicked, double-tongued, and lonely because he's last of his species. She skinny-dips in his swamp, then sunbathes nude on a worn-smooth pier. He rises from the water and stands dripping before her, green and gleaming. Her eyes fixate on his twin erections and slithering tongue-tips, all quite long and promising. His scent is alluring. She drips with passion. Hilarity ensues.

What are the monster's origin and nature?

My idea was that he's basically one of the Deep Ones from Shadow Over Innsmouth, so probably of supernatural origin. This could open up a few magical powers, if required, but I don't want to go overboard.
I feel like "she sees the monster and its dick(s) and immediately fucks it" is maybe not the best setup I can do. I like to get a bit more into the psychology of my characters than that. Why is she okay with having sex outside her species?
One idea I had was that she's from an old-money New English family or something and she's rebelling against that. Maybe she's being pressured to marry an eligible guy she really dislikes, and wants some time to clear her head, and so the taboo nature of fucking this monster appeals to her specifically because it's so unlike what people expect of her?

I feel like "she sees the monster and its dick(s) and immediately fucks it" is maybe not the best setup I can do. I like to get a bit more into the psychology of my characters than that. Why is she okay with having sex outside her species?
Sorry, I keep visualizing old pulp and UG comix with compressed psychology. We have straights, pervs, victims, monsters, and avengers. They think a little, but twisted. Forget about normal. Everyone and everything is twisted. Old Money families are notoriously kinky. If she's Olde Bostonian, the monster will be lucky to get away alive.

There's a nice twist. She is the predator; the deformed creature is her prey.

My idea was that he's basically one of the Deep Ones from Shadow Over Innsmouth, so probably of supernatural origin. This could open up a few magical powers, if required, but I don't want to go overboard.

I'm baffled how clumsy you guys around here stomp and struggle with the magic. "Real" magic is a flirty flighty dance with self-delusion, based on three main whales:

1) placebo effect -- spell supposedly provide typically subtle and unmeasurable status effect. Effects are real, but causality is unprovable or misinterpreted (ex: turns pretty plain grey mouse girl into irresistible beauty, just by providing confidence and courage)

2 conformation bias -- spell supposedly cause an event, typically in chaotic system with lots of unknown variables, often eventually unavoidable by statistical chance anyway. Events are real, but confirmation parameters are lax and dataset typically too small (often N < 5) to calculate statistical significance; eventual failure explained in terms that make initial claim unprovable; supposed causality is made up bullshit (ex: calls rain; provides luck in a game; make enemy sick)

3) alchemy -- elaborate process provide an item, typically but not necessarily with supposedly magical properties; items are real and often useful, but the process itself is inefficient at best and not understood by the user; supposed special or magical properties unprovable or unexplained, but at least in theory could be reverse engendered with enough scientific resource (ex: magi-tech inc. amulets and "enhanced" items; also "it just works" actions like programmers who combine code fragments they don't understand in rapid trial and error process crafting product that seems to do what's intended, but nobody knows how or why (in this case "magic properties" are in fact bugs))

There's a nice twist. She is the predator; the deformed creature is her prey.

Our explorer needs motivation beyond finding exotic sex toy. That could be one or more of:

1) willing victim -- since the creature is (obviously) supposed to have fetish for human females, she volunteers as a bait to lure him out of the deep for whatever purpose.

2) manipulative -- she use sex as part of a collaborative deal or research process.

3) predatory -- sex is merely means towards the goal, she might believe that:
-- at the moment of climax the natural (magical) defences of the monster will be down and the creature could be captured;
-- by fucking the monster she herself could gain magic powers;
-- the creature's cerebrospinal fluid collected at the moment of climax is supposed to be required ingredient for the elixir of eternal youth.

Of course how the relationship evolve is whole different story, abusive or murderous plans may not be followed through, but sabotaged or amended.

Last edited:
So I'm personally into stories where women have sex with monsters, and I have a rough idea for one I'd like to write - something with a Creature from the Black Lagoon-type creature - but I'm kind of stuck for the setup.
My question is, what sequence of events could take us from "she discovers a fish monster" to "she fucks the fish monster"?
As far as I've seen, there's a few stock setups:
- rape and/or "dubious consent" (which is not my bag)
- some kind of ritual or ceremony
- a sex show, in front of an audience (which I've already done in another story)
- she has a preexisting fetish for this kind of monster (which I've also already done, and is frankly a bit contrived)
- she helps the monster escape from a lab and gradually comes to sympathize and identify with him (which Guillermo del Toro has already done, and is probably a bit more involved than I want my monsterfucker smut story to be)

Can anyone recommend any other setups for this type of story?
OK, lots of ideas here, here's my two cents:

Prologue: (You know, before the credits roll.)
It is a warm spring night with a full moon shining bright when our heroine as a child of 10 or 12 sneaks out of the house with her brother and meets a couple of their friends to explore the dewy night. As they cross the garden they encounter dozens of toads croaking and hopping relentlessly as they are driven by their biological imperative to mate. Eww! The kids are grossed out so her brother runs to the garage and finds some wooden stakes. He pounds a nail through each and hands them out. Driven by disgust, the kids go on a killing spree trying to exterminate every toad. They beat them until their hands are sore and the muscles ache and the moon dips too low to provide enough light to find more. They trudge back to their homes dropping the bloody cudgels as they go.

Roll credits:

Fast forward to her grad school graduation: A comely lass attractive in every way she has just learned that she has been accepted to accompany a research expedition to the Amazon to study the flora and fauna of the region (cliched, I know, but where else are you going to find amphibians to who evolved as intelligent bipedal creatures without the world knowing). There is both sexual and intellectual tension between her and one of the male scientists. But she has a dark secret, a gnawing guilt that only grown deeper as she has learned more and more about the wonders of nature and the interplay of its various parts.
Once in the Amazon, she goes off alone one warm summer night with a full moon and wanders through the lush and beautiful jungle until she encounters a wondrous creature. She watches from afar silently fascinated by a man — would you call it a man — who evolved from amphibians and not mammals. She watches quietly until he disappears into the jungle and then she sprints back to camp to tell everyone. But as she approaches she realizes her discovery is huge and she doesn't want to share it, rather she wants to impress the professor. So she remains silent and returns to the jungle each night observing, finally making contact and quietly getting to know this strange, gentle creature until until fascination evolves to care and finally to an odd kind of love. She won't tell the professor at all; the guilt that has haunted her since that warm spring night now drives her to protect and even desire this odd man evolved from the Suriname Sea Toad.
OK, now they have sex — do with it as you will.
Meanwhile, her relation with the professor has evolved as well. He is attracted and she does want him as well. One night just before leaving for home, they make love.
Back in the States, their relationship grows. Months later as they are having sex, he mounts her from behind and notices a pattern of dark round marks on her back. Unsure of what to do, they try to cure them with a variety of lotions and medications but they only grow larger and darker.
Then one night, he notices that something is moving inside these dark bumps. Finally they erupt and larval toad men begin wriggling to life.
Horrified — as she was that so-long-ago night — he mindlessly stabs at them and in the process stabs her over and over until he cannot go on and she is dead.
Cut to credits as camera focuses on one small wriggling creature hopping toward the open garden door.

Just a thought. Kind of mundane. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
An interesting take by Mr. Robinson but for that level of detail in the synopsis you’d be for all purposes a co-writer if someone decided to use as a template. It would also qualify as a horror story so not sure that is what the OP is looking for. (Alternately if one were to change the story so that the main female character was married before the Amazon trip then the story could plausibly be straight up LW ;) with “karmic retribution”.

I’ve written a monster meets girl story and it does have reluctance/non con elements because in most cases how do creatures (human and not) that have no way to communicate with each other wind up having sex? Some readers/writers don’t care about the setup if it scratches their itch, but as AH denizens know, there are those that prefer even when a simple theme like two single people meet at a bar or a wedding, they want more. They need to be believable and real characters and what is their motivation? Not knocking this, different strokes for different folks and all.

But for those with a monster fetish it is a lot harder to find believable motivation for different species bumping uglies. In cases like Hypoxia mentioned where a human is transformed into a monster (whether by radiation, alien DNA, or a supernatural curse among other possibilities) most can readily accept there is still a bit of humanity that survives the change and if while human he appreciated a delectable derriere he still would. That doesn’t answer why a woman would choose to sleep with him. If she knew it was her transformed husband/lover and he wasn’t too hideous, then maybe. If she doesn’t know him would she be attracted to him? Maybe if he is woke and chivalrous and promises to sleep in the wet spot.

My suggestion for the OP might work with the Innsmouth suggestion. Let’s say a young college coed is summoned to the hometown where she has distant relatives she’s never met. Or perhaps she accompanies her best friend home while they are on break from Mistakonic University. While there she notices a mysterious hooded (hoodie) figure watching her more than once. When she manages to corner him she discovers that though he is monstrous in appearance he is also a member of a prominent family from town who just happens to take after his great grandfather’s scaly, fishy relatives. As she gets to know him she realizes he is good on the inside (unlike the more human family members) and he has a very agile tongue, among other winning attributes. After a whirlwind courtship they marry and move to the Virgin Islands or something.

An interesting take by Mr. Robinson but for that level of detail in the synopsis you’d be for all purposes a co-writer if someone decided to use as a template. It would also qualify as a horror story so not sure that is what the OP is looking for. (Alternately if one were to change the story so that the main female character was married before the Amazon trip then the story could plausibly be straight up LW ;) with “karmic retribution”.

I’ve written a monster meets girl story and it does have reluctance/non con elements because in most cases how do creatures (human and not) that have no way to communicate with each other wind up having sex? Some readers/writers don’t care about the setup if it scratches their itch, but as AH denizens know, there are those that prefer even when a simple theme like two single people meet at a bar or a wedding, they want more. They need to be believable and real characters and what is their motivation? Not knocking this, different strokes for different folks and all.

But for those with a monster fetish it is a lot harder to find believable motivation for different species bumping uglies. In cases like Hypoxia mentioned where a human is transformed into a monster (whether by radiation, alien DNA, or a supernatural curse among other possibilities) most can readily accept there is still a bit of humanity that survives the change and if while human he appreciated a delectable derriere he still would. That doesn’t answer why a woman would choose to sleep with him. If she knew it was her transformed husband/lover and he wasn’t too hideous, then maybe. If she doesn’t know him would she be attracted to him? Maybe if he is woke and chivalrous and promises to sleep in the wet spot.

My suggestion for the OP might work with the Innsmouth suggestion. Let’s say a young college coed is summoned to the hometown where she has distant relatives she’s never met. Or perhaps she accompanies her best friend home while they are on break from Mistakonic University. While there she notices a mysterious hooded (hoodie) figure watching her more than once. When she manages to corner him she discovers that though he is monstrous in appearance he is also a member of a prominent family from town who just happens to take after his great grandfather’s scaly, fishy relatives. As she gets to know him she realizes he is good on the inside (unlike the more human family members) and he has a very agile tongue, among other winning attributes. After a whirlwind courtship they marry and move to the Virgin Islands or something.
Didn't mean to step on OP's idea; he can have it or any part of it without obligation. Just ran with an idea that probably sprouted from the time I spent at Miskatonic U before dropping out for a job in small town journalism.

Old UG comix had a story I somewhat recall of a Southern girl (call her Daisy) in swampy terrain. As a youngster, she found a good-looking frog, and befriended him; not to take home as a pet, only a companion in her swampy excursions. They grew up together, sort of. Of course there's magic here, because Boofy grows huge and intelligent. Daisy grows up sexy. Now she and Boofy are special friends, especially with Boofy's long, skillful tongue.

Didn't mean to step on OP's idea; he can have it or any part of it without obligation. Just ran with an idea that probably sprouted from the time I spent at Miskatonic U before dropping out for a job in small town journalism.

I didn't mean you stepped on OP's idea. He did ask for suggestions. But you provided what amounts to a synopsis from beginning to twist ending. If OP follows to the limit, you would be a co-writer, whether attributed or not.

Rutger5 wrote:
I’ve written a monster meets girl story and it does have reluctance/non con elements because in most cases how do creatures (human and not) that have no way to communicate with each other wind up having sex?

In the case of a stable boy working on a farm outside Chapel Hill, NC, 20 or so years ago, it was a feed bucket he placed upside down behind the prize mare that got the two of them together. (I guess that make ths tale a non-con.) If only he had not left the bucket behind, he might never have been caught.

Last edited:
In the case of a stable boy working on a farm outside Chapel Hill, NC, 20 or so years ago, it was a feed bucket he placed upside down behind the prize mare that got the two of them together. (I guess that make ths tale a non-con.) If only he had not left the bucket behind, he might never have been caught.
If she was a talking mare, that's OK on LIT. Or glue a horn to her forehead.

ObTopic: The 'monster' is a mer-man, an anthropoid race who consorted with hu-mans until the start of what passes for civilization when they were driven into watery exile. Thus mer-folks' lust for hu-mans lies toward an end of their 'normal' curve, not quite totally pervo for them. Hu-man sexual response to mer-folk is similar -- one needn't be TOO twisted to be aroused.

Megad the mer-man and Hilda the hu-man accidentally meet in the Sargasso Sea. She probably fell off a cruise ship and he rescued her. Their pheromones interact. Hilarity ensues. Then a hu-man search party finds her and takes her away. Back in her bayou cabin, Hilda pines with loneliness. Megad follows her scent and takes up residence in the swamp. Happy ever after, hey?

Back