A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

I've started reading, commenting, and voting. So far some great stories.

I'm right behind you. Just got off work and I'm taking the evening off from NaNoWriMo, I'm very curious to see what people have come up with. I may hold off commenting until I've read all of them once.

Kind of excited to be able to read all the stories with this few entries.

Off to read!

I had company all day, so I didn't have a chance to read any of the stories yet.

Slyc- I'm still disappointed that you lost your stories. I always enjoy yours, and you're the one doing all the work!

Thanks for doing this. It is really a good time.

Lee

I know! I know! I didn't even see which ones you read. Maybe you already read it.

Why didn't you participate in this one? I would like to have seen where this one took you.

I dunno. I'm more of a reader on the site than I writer. I write a lot just for the fun (and to scare the shit out of my wife) and a lot of it's off site horror. When my muse cooks up something erotic, I put it here.

Maybe I should have done FAWC 3. I have had a hectic past few weeks. Its just starting to calm down here so I can slip some reading into the schedule. I've chosen to make FAWC my priority on the reading list. Like you said in your later post, I enjoy me some FAWC because its so cool to see a concept or challenge idea that some of the best writers take in do many different directions. This picture challenge is crazy. So far I've read ... 4? ... and each one has surprised me. It's pretty awesome to see how each author weaves their tales in their own way.

Ah, oh well. Just a dedicated reader this time. FAWC 4 maybe.

I dunno. I'm more of a reader on the site than I writer. I write a lot just for the fun (and to scare the shit out of my wife) and a lot of it's off site horror. When my muse cooks up something erotic, I put it here.

Maybe I should have done FAWC 3. I have had a hectic past few weeks. Its just starting to calm down here so I can slip some reading into the schedule. I've chosen to make FAWC my priority on the reading list. Like you said in your later post, I enjoy me some FAWC because its so cool to see a concept or challenge idea that some of the best writers take in do many different directions. This picture challenge is crazy. So far I've read ... 4? ... and each one has surprised me. It's pretty awesome to see how each author weaves their tales in their own way.

Ah, oh well. Just a dedicated reader this time. FAWC 4 maybe.

The old "I'm a reader, not a writer" routine. I see. (Please note that whenever I say that, I hear Michael Jackson saying "I'm a lover, not a fighter".) Didn't stop me from playing along! :p (I will, however, buy the too busy one. You're off the hook.)

I think I have two more to read.

I'm starting to read them--and finding that I seem to have different tastes from most of the rest of you.

Personal preference things on what a story is and should do as well as what should be covered in the exercise--both as put in the stories and in the comments. But, as I noted, it just indicates a different perspective. Not going to give any specifics, because different perspectives are just that.

I am a bit miffed at myself for putting my story tags in my email rather than the body of my story because after a comment on how they didn't go with the story at all I checked and they were not mine but ones Fawker hastily gathered from my story for me. He did a good job for having little time the fault was mine for rushing to get something in on time, but still a little miffed at myself for a newbie mistake.

I have read a couple of teh other stories so far, they are all great! Well done everyone.

I am a bit miffed at myself for putting my story tags in my email rather than the body of my story because after a comment on how they didn't go with the story at all I checked and they were not mine but ones Fawker hastily gathered from my story for me. He did a good job for having little time the fault was mine for rushing to get something in on time, but still a little miffed at myself for a newbie mistake.

I have read a couple of teh other stories so far, they are all great! Well done everyone.

I did a similar thing. I forgot to give a description. FAWCer did a good job of writing one for me from what he gleaned from my story, but it's probably not what I would have written. Totally my bad. (and no offense meant at all, Slyc!!! :))

Is that a veiled way of saying you think they're all .... less than stellar? :D

No, it shouldn't be taken to mean that. There just are some differences in general perspectives on stories here and those in the competitive mainstream. I find it frustrating sometimes.

My apologies for not returning to this discussion after my post yesterday. Tuesdays are very busy for me. It's the unofficial start of the week for the online courses I take, and more than that, I had to deal with a very sick seven-year-old. What fun. :p

Considering the issue with someone leaving links in the comments after each story: that seems to have been corrected. Laurel is on the ball with removing such things. I can only guess that TxRad's PM had an effect.

Regarding the comments that have been posted and remain . . . I have to say they are very interesting. None are scathing, but some are very critical, which is a good thing. The point of this exercise, after all, is to put our writing out there in a sort of blind taste test. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the rather lengthy assessments posted by "anonymous" are actually those of SecondCircle. ;) But whether they are or not, they are valuable critiques.

I really wish my own submission would have made it into the mix, so that I could also benefit from the attention FAWC 3 has received. While in terms of number of submissions this challenge has the lowest turnout, in terms of attention from critical views it seems to have surpassed previous FAWCs.

All in all, this exercise is the epitome of what FAWC is all about, and for that, I thank every contributor, every reader, and every commenter.

As far as descriptions, tags, etc . . . .

I begrudge no-one for not having included a description or story tags. My organization on this FAWC was not as well planned as on previous ones, so I can't fault anyone for not following what I assumed to be "the rules." I did my best, given that I had to speed-read through a few of the stories in order to come up with a description line and/or tags. I hope that I came up with something accurate and appropriate for those stories.

As with all things, I learn a little bit more with every FAWC. Eventually, I'll get it down to a science.

Maybe. :p

You definitely did a bang-up job, Slyc! I'm happy you were able to give my story the description it was missing. I'm just annoyed with myself that I have trouble with deadlines and was so rushed at the end that I forgot to write one myself.

I'm bummed too, that your story wasn't able to be included. I always enjoy reading your entires. I meant to tell you that about your Halloween story. Maybe because I would totally be the one to find myself in that girl's predicament, but I found it to be totally realistic and super creepy! :eek: I gave it 5 stars. :D

Anyway, FAWC on, people.

I smell rats in the scoring.

The sure way to discredit a contest is to enlist your buddies to fuck with the scores.

All the scores should be tighter together, 4 to 4.50 seems about right.

Last edited by a moderator:

The sure way to discredit a contest is to enlist your buddies to fuck with the scores.

How do you figure that?

My apologies for not returning to this discussion after my post yesterday. Tuesdays are very busy for me. It's the unofficial start of the week for the online courses I take, and more than that, I had to deal with a very sick seven-year-old. What fun. :p

Considering the issue with someone leaving links in the comments after each story: that seems to have been corrected. Laurel is on the ball with removing such things. I can only guess that TxRad's PM had an effect.

Regarding the comments that have been posted and remain . . . I have to say they are very interesting. None are scathing, but some are very critical, which is a good thing. The point of this exercise, after all, is to put our writing out there in a sort of blind taste test. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the rather lengthy assessments posted by "anonymous" are actually those of SecondCircle. ;) But whether they are or not, they are valuable critiques.

I really wish my own submission would have made it into the mix, so that I could also benefit from the attention FAWC 3 has received. While in terms of number of submissions this challenge has the lowest turnout, in terms of attention from critical views it seems to have surpassed previous FAWCs.

All in all, this exercise is the epitome of what FAWC is all about, and for that, I thank every contributor, every reader, and every commenter.

Nay, I am leaving very long and critical comments on the stories, but you'll see my name by every one. Any comment placed by anonymous isn't me.

You guys will be able to see when it's me that places a comment. They are pretty long, but I'm trying to give every story a fair analysis. But again remember, these are just my opinions on the story. I'm no expert, just a reader with personal preferences and views. I've dropped most of my thoughts on a story into these comments, what I liked or didn't, how well I could see the inspiration from the picture or how said pic was utilized, all that.

... But the name SecondCircle will appear beside them. You'll know who to cuss.

I read them, shit for brains.

Your flying monkeys are fucking around, so stop it.

I'm reading them and so far my feelings on the stories match the scores pretty closely.

Nope, no flying monkeys here. You must be lost in Oz again.

No one has to be tinkering with the scores. Everyone's got different opinions and tastes and all that, and each person rates a story as they see fit. If the rest of the votes don't match your idea of what they should be, it's just a difference of opinions. Not everything is tampering or trolling.

I'm reading them and so far my feelings on the stories match the scores pretty closely.

Nope, no flying monkeys here. You must be lost in Oz again.

Youre a lying rat bastard.

Back