Can we make a sticky about resizing pics?

lovemonster said:
They're about 22.65kb.....I've been using an online photo editor to crop and resize coz it does it in squares which my own software doesn't, but it only resizes in pixels.

I notice my own software has the percentage resize....so basically I have to figure out what percentage it is and adjust accordingly?


Oh good, the kind with the slider?
Just experiment with a couple of photos and you'll get the hang of it.
If 22,65 is the 100% then I guess 98% would do it. If not, re-save a bit lower :)
 
ran57gr said:
Oh good, the kind with the slider?
Just experiment with a couple of photos and you'll get the hang of it.
If 22,65 is the 100% then I guess 98% would do it. If not, re-save a bit lower :)

Thanks, I finally got it sorted :D
 
Lower the JPG quality

lovemonster said:
Ok.....not a newbie but someone who has sod all experience with photo editing here.....

I have some nice pics which I have cropped and resized to 150x150 for AV's, but it's not allowing me to upload them, saying the file size is too big....I keep resizing down and eventually get to 80x80 before it lets me upload, which is just too damn small.....can anyone help please?

It looks like you've got an answer, but since this is a "sticky" I'll try to explain it better for others in the future.

For JPGs (which most photo images should be) there is a "quality" setting that ranges from 1-100. (Each image editor puts the control in a different spot). The lower the setting, the smaller the image file, but at a cost of quality. I typically can't notice any artifacts as long as the quality is above 80, but you can realistically go lower.

Examples of a JPG image saved at different qualities at Wikipedia
 
shanesinforit said:
There is another easy way.
Within windows xp, there is Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
Right click on a pic / the 'open with / choose 'picture manager'.
It is part of office so it is already within your PC.
Once pic is open , choose 'edit picture' then resize. There's a few options available.
Its just too friggin easy for words.
More flesh the better, obviously!


Thank you! :kiss:
 
Just thought I'd mention another free program that is great for resizing pictures, in addition to what an earlier post said about InfranView. The Gimp is the program, a Google search will find it easily enough. The main advantage it has over InfranView is that while both programs allow you to save at a lesser quality to lower the file size, the Gimp allows you to preview exactly what that file size will be, so there's no need to save more than once, you'll know exactly what the file size will be before you even save. The slider for quality automatically pops up when you click Save As, just check the box to show a preview in the image window, which will allow you to both preview the file size and the quality of the image. :)
 
There Is "Power Tools" from MS for XP. You just right click on the photo, and you will see a light of options come up with "Resize Picture" and Select 800 X 600 Medium. It then creates a new photo, same name with (Medium) next to it.
 
attachment issue

Hello all
the problem I am having is that after I upload my pic, I cannot locate or do not get the tab to post my reply. I assume this is an error I'm making. Would someone please advise
Thanks
JP
 
Click Manage Attachments.

Then when the form comes up, browse to find it and then upload it (two separate bits of the same form).

Then just hit the Submit Reply button.
 
uploading pics

Thanks for the info. I am new here and still working through trying to up load my pictures. Always seems to be a work in progress
 
:confused:

Can someone please tell me how to upload an image into my avatar, please? I've managed to upload a profile picture, but I can't see how to upload an avatar.

Please help :eek:
 
LOL Nope. A lot of newbies have commented that they couldn't attach pics to their posts because the file size was too big. Not necessarily the dimensions.
Yep, that's the problem I've had with Irfan view. :(

There's always using pic hosting sites like Image Shack to browse from your computer and then show off the pics in a link. <snip>
I hate hosting sites on principle because of the whole issue of copyright ownership, but *sigh*.
 
I have been using Irfanview for many, many years for viewing photos and videos as well as playing MP3s. It's an all around great program. Here is a screenshot.

Irfanview.jpg
 
Back
Top