The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2017 Support Thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
I am starting this thread now so that writers have no excuse for not starting a story in plenty of time. The Halloween contest is still running but the Winter Holidays contest follows a short time afterwards - just over a month from this post.

Winter Holidays
themes: winter holiday traditions (dreidels, gift giving, etc.), cold weather (snow), holiday mythology (Santa, elves), etc.
starts: November 10
closes: December 7
winners announced: December 14

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the Winter Holidays Contest. Get your characters cold and snowy, celebrating Christmas, giving and receiving presents and being bad for Santa.

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.

I was just thinking about this. I don't think I've ever entered a winter story before, but I am working on two stories this year. One is new as of last week, and one never got finished last year.

Hopefully I'll get one of them done in time.

edited 10/23/17 - Darn, was thinking it started on Dec 7, not ended. That's a shock, glad I looked at this thread again.

Last edited:
A question. Can I submit a story with the same characters as another story? It'd be stand alone, but I was wondering if that's stretching the contest rules?

It should be fine. Last year, "A Gift from The Bard" by ScattySue took the third place of the 2016 Winter Holidays Contest, even though

Thanks, that's good to know. Christmas Stuffing it is ..

A question. Can I submit a story with the same characters as another story? It'd be stand alone, but I was wondering if that's stretching the contest rules?

That's fine. My story, "All Fools' Day Foolery," which took second in last year's April Fools Day contest, was one of an ongoing series and said so in a slug at the top of the story:

[For an earlier story in the NYPD vice detective Mike Kavanagh series, see "Inevitable Case."]

That's fine. My story, "All Fools' Day Foolery," which took second in last year's April Fools Day contest, was one of an ongoing series and said so in a slug at the top of the story:

[For an earlier story in the NYPD vice detective Mike Kavanagh series, see "Inevitable Case."]

Thx for the confirmation. I'm running with that for sure.

That’s all I ever do. I’d be lost without my beloved characters.

I’ve got a Christmas story in the can already, and it’s led to a whole sloppy mess of new characters and situations. I’m looking forward to January; might just submit out of order, so I don’t need to wait so long.

Bummed I missed out on the Halloween contest because of my computer. But now I have a new one. Better start typing.

That’s all I ever do. I’d be lost without my beloved characters.

I’ve got a Christmas story in the can already, and it’s led to a whole sloppy mess of new characters and situations. I’m looking forward to January; might just submit out of order, so I don’t need to wait so long.

"...sloppy mess...." on lit just opens up a whole other train of thought.. now, where's that cream for my coffee....

No way... a double-entendre, on Lit, and in the authors’ hangout no less...

Couldn’t be. Enjoy your coffee!

If someone were to write a christmas story set somewhere south of the equator, Australia, Argentina etc, would it qualify for this contest or the summer loving one?

Got a second idea now, too, and it might be my very first (gasp) incest submission. I’m nervous already.

Well darn.

My laptop died last week. The cup of tea I spilled on it might have had something to do with it. I was in the midst of doing a backup, but it seems that I have lost everything I had done for the Winter Holiday contest as well as a lot of other stuff. I've been fighting a bad head cold as well.

My wife, a Mac person since the Iron Age, convinced me to go Mac, and yesterday I got a MacBook Air. It's certainly light, but is taking getting used to. Ever since the DOS days I've kept my files organized my own way, and in the windows era I had all my folders and subfolders all set up. Here in appleland the files are just ALL out there.

I'm sure I'll figure it out, I'll have to, my wife is out of town for a few more days.

I sure wish I had done backups more frequently.

Got a second idea now, too, and it might be my very first (gasp) incest submission. I’m nervous already.

I'm only nervous if my Dad ever reads them and works out who wrote them. Gulp!

Okay. So. Category uncertainty:

Nonconsensual incestuous pegging.

I’m guessing “incest” trumps all the others?

I don't know if I CAN write again. But, as I've been getting encouragement from several both in real life and through here, I may try to see if I can get something done in time for the contest. Before life went to shit, I was working on a Thanksgiving tale. Maybe I'll see if something in that can be salvaged.

At least as long as November doesn't decide to suck balls the way October did.

I don't know if I CAN write again. But, as I've been getting encouragement from several both in real life and through here, I may try to see if I can get something done in time for the contest. Before life went to shit, I was working on a Thanksgiving tale. Maybe I'll see if something in that can be salvaged.

Try it and see. Sometime all that suck stuff just has you writing things you wouldn't dream about writing.

It’d be hard to suck worse, surely.

Baby steps. It might be a good way to take your mind off things.

It’d be hard to suck worse, surely.

Baby steps. It might be a good way to take your mind off things.

And stick around here and chat. Sometimes it's better just to talk about it. Getting it out and saying whatever's on your mind helps.

I've picked up one I never managed to finish two years ago. Have to rewrite a lot of what was in there because my writing style has apparently changed since then.

Back