Poll: romance vs hardcore sex

Romantic "happily ever after" or hardcore (ie- gangbangs, nonconsent, incest, etc...)

  • Romantic stories

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Hardcore stories

    Votes: 13 48.1%

  • Total voters
    27
  • Poll closed .

Syzoth

Really Experienced
Joined
Oct 29, 2015
Posts
107
Wanted to conduct a poll, and would love to get some feedback.

For anyone reading this: when you look for stories on Literotica, do you typically look for/enjoy something more vanilla and "romantic" (ie- consensual sex, something with a "happily ever after ending") or categories that are more hardcore (ie- gangbangs, nonconsent, incest, etc...).

Seems like the straight romance stories seem to get higher viewings and better ratings, which actually surprises me.

Maybe I'm wrong with my observation.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Thank you for reading this.
 
I would think that if someone wasn't shallow, they would read across a broad spectrum of offerings.
 
You're going to find different people like both. Your poll is designed to polarise the response, though, as you don't have the third option, "A bit of both, depends on the day, depends on my mood."
 
Bit of a loaded question with those specific examples of "hardcore sex." I don't think the poll question is clear enough to produce useful results.
 
Your definition of hardcore and mine are vastly different.
 
because you have so narrowly a defined area, I doubt your results will rate accurately.

It would be better to just make a new poll and put everything under the sun as options, but even then, I think Literotica has what categories are the most popular already done. I seem to recall seeing that somewhere.
 
because you have so narrowly a defined area, I doubt your results will rate accurately.

It would be better to just make a new poll and put everything under the sun as options, but even then, I think Literotica has what categories are the most popular already done. I seem to recall seeing that somewhere.
You just need to compare the numbers of stories submitted in each category, from the Lit Story front page.
 
Seems like the straight romance stories seem to get higher viewings and better ratings, which actually surprises me.

Well, think about how people react to each kind of story ;)

Romance = awwwww. That was cute. 5*

Hardcore = Horny. Horny now. Thanks Lit. See you tomorrow. No voting/no comments because you're too busy rubbing/whacking one out, or trying to drag your SO into bed.
 
Romance can certainly add to a story but, honestly, the reason I read Literotica stories over others is they can be pretty dirty and that’s more fun for me.

Seriously, though Literotica stories generally don’t even scratch the surface of what’s out there in terms of gritty or “out there” erotica. Alt.SexStories has been broken for a long time but those stories, and some you can find on other sites, make Literotica look tame and humane by comparison. Those aren’t always my cup of tea, though.
 
It needs an option for both.

There’s room for both.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Or maybe they could be combined.
 
Incest isn't always what I'd consider hardcore. I've had some success in what amounts to brother-sister romance, romances that happen to involve incest.
 
For anyone reading this: when you look for stories on Literotica, do you typically look for/enjoy something more vanilla and "romantic" (ie- consensual sex, something with a "happily ever after ending") or categories that are more hardcore (ie- gangbangs, nonconsent, incest, etc...).

Why not both? Someone can enjoy both a good movie and a porn movie at different times.

Personally, I'm looking for a story that does something well, whether that's as porn or non-porn.

Also, your breakdowns are a little idiosyncratic to me: You can have hardcore porn-without-plot consensual vanilla sex; you can have a light, fluffy, romantic story about cousins.

Seems like the straight romance stories seem to get higher viewings and better ratings, which actually surprises me.

Doesn't surprise me. Non-porn needs to be something the reader considers a good story. Porn needs to hit the reader's kink.

You're more likely to have broad consensus on whether something's a good story than on someone's kinks.
 
Five guys, one girl and a scented candle. Love it.

What's he said. Or, five girls and a guy. My imagination says that could work.

Well, think about how people react to each kind of story ;)

Romance = awwwww. That was cute. 5*

Hardcore = Horny. Horny now. Thanks Lit. See you tomorrow. No voting/no comments because you're too busy rubbing/whacking one out, or trying to drag your SO into bed.

I always vote and comment if the story is well-written smut that makes me wank. I appreciate a pervert who shares every bit as much as much as cute romance (as long as there's a hand job at the end).

Sorry. Struggling with characters who insist on falling in love and it's interfering with getting them naked.
 
I mean, given how you are catagorizing this, you probably need another section for "Casual flings" - there's consent, no incest, nothing particularly extreme about it.... but also fairly low levels of romance.... just a couple random strangers fooling around, with some (often flimsy) explanation for why.
People are there for the kissing and sexytime. They aren't there for the character development, but they aren't there to see anyone get violated/hurt either.
 
I prefer a romantic sci-if comedy drama involving a vampire and alien (hetero or same sex) with plenty of strapon, chains and whips but there must also be cuckolding and a subplot of erotic couplings and loving wives and transsexuals. Sorry if anyone has been offended by my missing them out.

I don’t read jerk off stories because I’ve had both hands amputated, this comment being typed by my bi-sexual carer, and I get so frustrated having to use the table leg.


If you want a serious answer I want a good story. If hardcore sex is involved, which it is most of the time, then it’s got to fit in with the story. It’s no good having a well written sex scene if the rest of the story is crap.
 
Last edited:
I voted romance, but under my own definition, not what you provide in clarification that only confused me. Or rather, I take the liberty to reinterpret it as question about porn vs narrative, and vote for narrative.

I do believe even strangest kinks would only improve if something little more is said about the participants. Other than their nipple colour, I mean.

Consider:
A: Guy goes down the street, see a strange girl who smile at him. He goes to her, grab her, toss in the side alley, tear off her clothes and take her hard, really hard. That's it.

B: A guy who had been just dumped by his bitchy girlfriend after being laid off his work goes down the street, and see a strange girl who smile at him. Because she had seen him every day around here and had fantasy about him taking her hard, unlike her boyfriend who can't satisfy her the way she craves. Suddenly, he comes to her and does exactly what she had dreamed he would.

Both describe the exact same event. Case A is rather hardcore, no doubt, there not much more hardcore you can go than a brutal rape. Case B spend many more words on describing stuff other than the coitus, and can, with some effort, qualify as a "romance," or rather, a story.

I'm likely to find B more satisfying and 'hot' even if the final word count of both be the same.
 
Last edited:
Trick question. Romance so often leads, one way or another, to childbirth and child rearing.

And that, my friend, is absolutely brutal. Nothing is as hardcore as that. It's basically the ultimate in BDSM.
 
Consider:
A: Guy goes down the street, see a strange girl who smile at him. He goes to her, grab her, toss in the side alley, tear off her clothes and take her hard, really hard. That's it.

B: A guy who had been just dumped by his bitchy girlfriend after being laid off his work goes down the street, and see a strange girl who smile at him. Because she had seen him every day around here and had fantasy about him taking her hard, unlike her boyfriend who can't satisfy her the way she craves. Suddenly, he comes to her and does exactly what she had dreamed he would.

A is rape.

B is a porn scenario that skirts the rape issue. It's not even remotely romance.
 
A is rape.

B is a porn scenario that skirts the rape issue. It's not even remotely romance.

You're stating the obvious. Of course it is a rape. Probably I should go back and include that exact word in my evaluation of the cases so that nobody would be confused that I might not realise that.

People do have rape fantasies, you know? It's just a brutal example, brutal deviant kink softened in the second case, but it is no less a rape.

Rape is not an issue I try to discuss here, but the word count allowed to world and character building versus description of minute details of the actual act.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top