I Discovered Something.

J

JAMESBJOHNSON

I was reading a popular book by a famous author and fell over a discovery. His famous character's action scenes suck me in, and the navel gazing the supporting characters do pushes me away. I was curious how come this particular book fares poorly with critics, its the sleep-walking and navel gazing. James Bond is mostly a passive observer of nuthin much happening. And when something happens he isn't a participant. He observes. Like todays army.

I recently read a smidgen of a story here, and its all navel-gazing. DEAR READER BLAH BLAH BLAH SO YOU SEE MY MOTIVES WERE BLAH BLAH BLAH UNTIL I GOT TO THINKING BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Try....I picked her up on the highway, she was hitchhiking in the rain, so I brought her home. While her wet clothes washed, she covered herself with my robe, and I went to take a shower, I had big plans for her. After I brushed my teeth and splashed on plenty of Old Seaman I leaped upon the bed with her, and noticed she had shit atop my quilt. Her eyes looked really crazy.

Bond has yet to shoot anyone or get laid, so maybe DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is the waste critics call it. Its 100% description and navel-gazing.

Switching to IBERIA Michener presented a treatise (I emphasize TREAT) of how fighting bulls are selected for breeding. The male is picked for his size, the female is picked for her aggression. A smaller female with a bad attitude clears the arena in no time. Brave men flee from her. No one tarries to tease her with a cape.

Bond is something from a bygone era. Things have changed and he is nowhere near as flawed as people like these days.

Bond is pure male fantasy. The guns, the fast cars, the women, the always having the right comeback and always being able to kick everyone's ass, the ultimate man.....for that time.

The new movie(a remake of an old one opf course, that's what Hollywood is good at these days re-hashing) looks a little more interesting, but for me, he's meh because I'm younger than his original target audience.

Want an odd take on that type of character?

Check out the Destroyer series by Warren Murphy and Richard Sappir(?) almost an outright parody, but with karate, irreverent, but fun

Bond is something from a bygone era. Things have changed and he is nowhere near as flawed as people like these days.

Bond is pure male fantasy. The guns, the fast cars, the women, the always having the right comeback and always being able to kick everyone's ass, the ultimate man.....for that time.

The new movie(a remake of an old one opf course, that's what Hollywood is good at these days re-hashing) looks a little more interesting, but for me, he's meh because I'm younger than his original target audience.

Want an odd take on that type of character?

Check out the Destroyer series by Warren Murphy and Richard Sappir(?) almost an outright parody, but with karate, irreverent, but fun

Ian Fleming said he had a laid-back, quiet guy in mind when he created Bond, and that's how book Bond is. Book Bond isn't the most clever or hot man in the room. He's inconspicuous and thorough and persistent.

Ian Fleming said he had a laid-back, quiet guy in mind when he created Bond, and that's how book Bond is. Book Bond isn't the most clever or hot man in the room. He's inconspicuous and thorough and persistent.

So he's Sherlock and Hollywood made him Rambo is what you're saying?

It's like listening to someone tell a story to you and they keep segueing off into unrelated tangents that mean nothing, or ramble on saying fuck all but useless words. You want them to pick it up and make it interesting to hear about and stay on focus. Less words, more meaning.

It's like listening to someone tell a story to you and they keep segueing off into unrelated tangents that mean nothing, or ramble on saying fuck all but useless words. You want them to pick it up and make it interesting to hear about and stay on focus. Less words, more meaning.

That sounds like all the conversations at the parties my wife's work throws, man those people just go on and on....

We call it LOOSE ASSOCIATIONS and TANGENTIAL THINKING. Like this:

Man! I saw an old fucking episode of CIRCUS BOY last night on A&E. What a hoot! Kurt Russell was just a kid then. He married Goldie Hawn, yuh know. She was the hot chickie on Rowan and Martins LAUGH IN back in 1968. SOCK IT TO ME. I was stationed at Chanute Air Force Base then. They let us watch tv when they weren't busting our asses. Like dead in the middle of winter they had me out collecting bricks for a patio the lieutenant wanted to build. He wanted to grill burgers in the summer. And anything was better than the shit they cooked in the chowhall. It was nasty. Greasy and dry at the same time. At least they didn't serve the lime fucking koolaid we got in Vietnam.

We call it LOOSE ASSOCIATIONS and TANGENTIAL THINKING. Like this:

Man! I saw an old fucking episode of CIRCUS BOY last night on A&E. What a hoot! Kurt Russell was just a kid then. He married Goldie Hawn, yuh know. She was the hot chickie on Rowan and Martins LAUGH IN back in 1968. SOCK IT TO ME. I was stationed at Chanute Air Force Base then. They let us watch tv when they weren't busting our asses. Like dead in the middle of winter they had me out collecting bricks for a patio the lieutenant wanted to build. He wanted to grill burgers in the summer. And anything was better than the shit they cooked in the chowhall. It was nasty. Greasy and dry at the same time. At least they didn't serve the lime fucking koolaid we got in Vietnam.

Exactly, lol. I like hearing certain comedians because they can spin a story, fly off on a tangent and then bring it all together in the end in a way you never expected. I like to write like that as well on occasion and add a twist to it. Lead them down the garden path and have a cliff there as you go through the gate.

Another way I look at it, is like the opening of Get Smart, where he keeps going through door after door and makes a call to get in. Or similar, the movie Vantage Point, where the same point in time is played out over and over, but all from different POV of the characters until it plays out from the event and goes to the end.

Styles like that can take a pretty good story to a great story IMO

Thinking about James Bond, I haven't read the books since I was a teen in the early sixties. I haven't even seen the last few movies, but I was thinking about the last few I did see, how he has all the special weapons, flies Russian attack planes away from an airfield at the last minute, lots of explosions and big action.

Then I remember Dr. No. He sneaked/snuck onto this island in a pair of light tan "putter pants" and a polo shirt, just his dinkly little automatic (In the books I think he liked a small caliber, maybe a .25 acp? and had to be forced to something bigger.), but he just waltzed into Dr. No's island with basically nothing but chutzpah and a local fisherman. And a girl showed up of course. No automatic rifle, no grenades, no camo clothing, no signature gun that looked like a movie camera, no parachute drop, just a sailboat and a pistol.

How times have changed.

Thinking about James Bond, I haven't read the books since I was a teen in the early sixties. I haven't even seen the last few movies, but I was thinking about the last few I did see, how he has all the special weapons, flies Russian attack planes away from an airfield at the last minute, lots of explosions and big action.

Then I remember Dr. No. He sneaked/snuck onto this island in a pair of light tan "putter pants" and a polo shirt, just his dinkly little automatic (In the books I think he liked a small caliber, maybe a .25 acp? and had to be forced to something bigger.), but he just waltzed into Dr. No's island with basically nothing but chutzpah and a local fisherman. And a girl showed up of course. No automatic rifle, no grenades, no camo clothing, no signature gun that looked like a movie camera, no parachute drop, just a sailboat and a pistol.

How times have changed.

Sure. He carries a 25 caliber pistol, pays attention, and keeps a low profile. He even falls for the femme fatales. Bond is more like the secret ingredient that makes others go over the top and expose themselves.

Back