Finding the right title

legerdemer

lost at sea
Finding just the right title for poems seems even more important than finding them for stories - when they're right, they contribute immensely. When they're wrong, well... gm (not to put him on the spot) made a comment on one of mine recently that kind of lays it out there and made me think:

"2 infrequently used words juxtaposed together in the title, however, is a little like fingernails on a blackboard to me."

Afterwards, he changed his mind but I actually thought he has a point about titles that may be out of sync with the poem, or say too much (as Angeline suggested on the same poem), or too little.

In one case, I am holding back from posting a poem because I can't for the life of me come up with a title.

So, what's your take on the whole title issue? ... do you have an easy time with titles? Hard? Change your mind a lot, or never?

Finding just the right title for poems seems even more important than finding them for stories - when they're right, they contribute immensely. When they're wrong, well... gm (not to put him on the spot) made a comment on one of mine recently that kind of lays it out there and made me think:

"2 infrequently used words juxtaposed together in the title, however, is a little like fingernails on a blackboard to me."

Afterwards, he changed his mind but I actually thought he has a point about titles that may be out of sync with the poem, or say too much (as Angeline suggested on the same poem), or too little.

In one case, I am holding back from posting a poem because I can't for the life of me come up with a title.

So, what's your take on the whole title issue? ... do you have an easy time with titles? Hard? Change your mind a lot, or never?

Perhaps you should post the poem you are holding back and let everyone take stabs at titling it.

Like the band naming thread.

Genius!

* he declared in a high pitched flaming homosexual voice *

A lot of times, I start with the title, it being the inspiration for the poem itself. If I didn't start with the title, I try not to choose one that repeats any line I used in the poem as I feel 1) repetitive and 2) acts as a "spoiler" to the poem. Often, my poem defines or is the theme of the the title. Or other times, the title as a play on words or just out of left field so to speak.

I "think" I'm pretty good at titling my poems.

Perhaps you should post the poem you are holding back and let everyone take stabs at titling it.

Like the band naming thread.

Genius!

* he declared in a high pitched flaming homosexual voice *

LOL - Not on your life!!! :D:D

But thanks for the suggestion. Not that I don't have a sense of humor or anything...but that one turned into a word game. ;)

I have a friend who is (by my standards) a success as a poet in that he has many publications (including books). He always writes the title first and lets the poem flow from it. Whenever he reads a line or phrase he thinks has possibilities, he writes it down and saves it. Thus, he has a huge file of potential titles and poems.

I can't do that. I find it difficult to choose a title and usually change it after I've had some time to reflect on the poem. I think I'm better at it that I used to be, but not great. I'm looking forward to reading more tips and techniques, like Neo's. :)

LOL - Not on your life!!! :D:D

But thanks for the suggestion. Not that I don't have a sense of humor or anything...but that one turned into a word game. ;)

Aww, I like word games! Titles are sometimes a bane for me as well. I feel that good titles are often the essence of a piece, a hint at what's to come even if you can't see it until after you've read the piece.

Maybe I'll toss one of my untitled out there to be stabbed at :D

Last edited:
Most often the poem dictates the title, only rarely do I start with the title - unless it's a S. T. challenge of course. :D

I generally start with a line or two of the poem. Very occasionally I think of a title to which I try to write a poem, but it doesn't tend to work like that for me. I have a title in need of a poem at the moment, as well. Lonely little thing it is, too...

I just wrote a piece Title first a couple of days ago but it's a rare occurrence for me. It can take days or weeks for a title to present itself and sometimes even longer. When I'm not in a hurry it's no big deal but when I have to come up with a title before the piece has had a chance to confer with itself and whisper it to me, it's usually some piece of obvious crap :rolleyes:

Didn't Senna start a thread ages ago offering titles to anyone who wanted to use them?
I think Magnetron should do the same, he's inspired!

hehe usually use the last line of the poem as the title ..think that's more force of habit ...but I never have the title until the poem is done ...as its always in a constant state of change ...ill be writing one thing and by the time I am half way finished the poem has turned into something entirely different :p ...very rare occasion when I make the title something different ...but at lass it has happened

hehe usually use the last line of the poem as the title ..think that's more force of habit ...but I never have the title until the poem is done ...as its always in a constant state of change ...ill be writing one thing and by the time I am half way finished the poem has turned into something entirely different :p ...very rare occasion when I make the title something different ...but at lass it has happened

This happens all the time when I write, which is one reason I can't do a title till the poem is done!

I have a ridiculously difficult time with titles. I think they're important, and I rarely come up with one I'm completely happy with. I've spent more time pondering titles than I have writing, I think.

Take the last 3 words of the 3rd line of the 3rd strophe.

And if that doesn't work think of what you want your poem to show and then make a title that tells a bit about what to look for.

Take the last 3 words of the 3rd line of the 3rd strophe.

And if that doesn't work think of what you want your poem to show and then make a title that tells a bit about what to look for.

I just tried this out on one of my naughty ones and the result was hilarious but completely apt! :D

Back