Claymore and Dagger Pt.2

They remained for nearly an hour more before Sam half-walked, half-carried Fiona home and curled up with her once more after setting light to her hearth. He was dead asleep in minutes, sprawled out with her on the sofa.
 
Fiona slept with Sam until dusk when she finally woke and stiffly stood to dress. Then she sent a letter to her father, asking if he would like to come to dinner with her and Sam. She left Sam sleeping as she went to the market, collecting enough food to feed Sam, her father, herself, and Will when he finally came back home.
 
By the time Fiona returned home, Sam was awake and it seemed he'd cut some extra wood for the fire and was in the process of fixing a few small things around her cabin that she and Will hadn't had time to get to.
 
Fiona started to cook as soon as she returned, chuckling at all of the things that Sam had managed to accomplish in the time that she had been gone. "No one will ever accuse you of being a lazy king." She said as he passed her by, a smile on her lips as she stole a kiss from him before returning to her cooking.
 
Around the time that they were finishing up, she heard Will come home. He was talking to someone and looking over her shoulder, she saw her Da entering with him. She gave her Da a wide smile as she left Sam to finish with the vegetables, hugging Owen so tightly.
 
"Little kit," Owen murmured as he held her. He was glad to see her happy again. And seeing Sam was there, he k ew things were getting better for them
 
“We have News. For the both of you.” Fiona said as Will unpacked his gear to prepare it for the next patrol. “No cubs, I promise.”
 
"We will count on Uncle Will to babysit when the time comes." Fiona said as she pinched Will's cheek before turning to help Sam finish up the meal.

Once everything was dished up, she sat down beside her father, offering him the veggies, rice, and meat that they had cooked up. He being the oldest one there had the right to take the first pieces.

"Sam has something to tell you both." Fiona said, glancing towards Sam as she waited for him to tell them that he would be the king.
 
Sam gave her a somewhat unamused look at putting him on the spot. But he sat up a little straighter and spoke with a neutral tone, "In a few weeks, I'll be takin' over permanently fer my father." That gave Will and Owen pause, and them Sam added with a look to Fiona, "An' Fiona'll be a Consort til we're married. Then.. she'll be queen."

Both remained silent for a long while until Will let out a sigh that made Owen look at him. "Great," Will groused. "As if she doesn't hold enough over me already. Soon I'll have to serve her."

"You work fer me," Sam reminded with a raised eyebrow. "My brother is your commanding officer."

"Yeah, yeah..." That made Owen chuckle, putting a sympathetic hand on the boy's shoulder.

"I give you full permission as her father to never call her 'Your Majesty," Owen promised.
 
"Oh, it'll be even worse for you, Will. I'll be able to make all kinds of royal decrees." Fiona said with a small smile towards him as Owen promised that he wouldn't have to call her by a royal title. "All while wearing a crown. Life couldn't be better."
 
"And you'll be expected to carry those out to th'letter," Sam added with a small smirk as Will groaned and sunk into his chair.
 
“Queen Fiona is how you address me each and every time.” She said with a smirk as Will slipped down in his seat and tried to hide himself away. “Don’t worry, Will. It will just be another way that I am able to take care of you. And I’ll be able to take care of you, Da.”
 
"I don't need any more taking care of," Owen assured her with a smile. "Suara does that just fine, and so do my neighbors. I forgot what it was like to have a tribe."
 
"You'll have to let me take care of you if the king commands it." Fiona said with a smile as she looked over at Sam.

It was clear that her family was the most important thing in her life. She didn't demand riches or fancy clothing when Sam had said he wanted her as queen. She had started forming plans to ensure that her family, who had been through so much hardship, would never have to worry about things for the rest of their lives.

"But in all seriousness, I asked you here for another reason tonight, Da." Fiona said as she turned her attentions back to Owen. "I think it's time for my fox to have her tribal name. And I think it's time to make Will an official member of the Blackstone family. I was wondering if we might put together a small ceremony to accomplish both."
 
Owen paused at her request for her name, completely missing the chance to tease Will whom he was becoming close with. Will looked up at him with a questioning stare and Owen's ears tilted back slightly. "Your mother... never named you. She was afraid I'd be angry if she gave an Erygonian name to a human. But... I do know some of the names she was thinking of while she still carried you." He looked to Will. "As for this one... I agree it's about time."
 
Fiona was a little taken back when he told her that her mother had never named her. She felt a deep sadness settle in her chest over the fact that her mother was so insecure about her daughter being human that she had never told anyone what it was. Those wounds were still deep in both her father's life and her own.

"He's finally old enough to not bring shame to the name." Fiona commented, changing the subject from her tribal name to Will becoming a Blackstone.
 
"Anything's better than Bard, I guess," Will said with a shrug, earning an odd glance from Owen. Will still kept his family a secret, though Fiona and Owen knew his real surname was Baardsson and he was from somewhere in Norway originally. He then added with a grin, "That'll mean I'm related to the Ghis when Fiona gets married."
 
"You will be, but don't think for one moment that you can use the name for any kind of gain. Ciaran and Sam will only give you promotions as you prove yourself. In fact, I think it might be even worse than you're expecting." Fiona said with a chuckle.
 
"I'll take it," Will said with a smile.

"Well, if you're a Blackstone then you'll have to be introduced to the tribe as well," Owen reminded, laying an arm about his shoulders.
 
"We're pretty sure that Will has some kind of were in him, but we were never really certain." Fiona said as Owen wrapped his arm around Will's shoulders and gave him a squeeze. "I always joked that he was part bear. He's clumsy and lumbering and he can eat me out of house and home."
 
"Well I don't know what you've seen of him, but I'd say he's the opposite. Maybe it's Ciaran's training, but Will strikes me as more of some kind of cat. He's very quick and he can squirm his way out of anything."

"Almost," Will added.
 
"When he's at work and acting like a professional, sure. When he's at home, it's another story." Fiona said as she gave Will a small smile.

He knew that she teased him most of the time. She adored him and would do anything for him if he only asked for it. She truly did see him as her son, having raised him even though she were barely older than him.
 
"Well, I think we can manage some sort of ceremony for you two. I'm sure Suara will want to officially welcome you both into the tribe, so that may be what we do," Owen offered. "The next full moon is a couple weeks away, and Suara likes to keep introductions on those evenings as per tradition."
 
Back
Top