The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isle of Jura? Sure. Haven't had the pleasure yet. Will have to scout some for my personal stash.

Personally I prefer the Islays, particularly Lagavulin. However, if you like your whisky not quite so medicinal, then Highland Parks is highly to be recommended.

HP, how was the fishing? I was just in Isolated Blurt and asked there, so you may have answered me there.

How pleasant to meet over a single malt.

:heart:

It comes very highly commended, mate.
A dash of soda water also enhances the experience. DO NOT USE ICE!

Oh my gawd! There are people here who need to be told this? I hope the barman knows and I don't have to give him a Glasgow kiss!

:eek:

Oh my gawd! There are people here who need to be told this? I hope the barman knows and I don't have to give him a Glasgow kiss!

:eek:

Dr Miss,
Do not forget that there are those in foreign lands for whom the real thing is what is best advertised locally or on TV. They therefore may need reminding about the proper proprieties.
I believe an Ankh Morpork knuckle sandwich may also be sufficient.
[and it you have not read Terry Pratchet, I urge you to do so]
:rose:

PS. The fishing drew a blank, but the water is getting warmer and there was some evidence today that the fish are moving, rather than the usual winter sulking.

Dr Miss,
Do not forget that there are those in foreign lands for whom the real thing is what is best advertised locally or on TV. They therefore may need reminding about the proper proprieties.
I believe an Ankh Morpork knuckle sandwich may also be sufficient.
[and it you have not read Terry Pratchet, I urge you to do so]

Oh I know a knuckle sandwich from a rat onna stick when the wind is southerly!

I love Terry Pratchet!

And your favourite is ?

Oooh, I don't know if I can pick one. I love Guards! Guards! for the exquisite unpicking of royalism vs. benign(ish) dictatorship. Then Men at Arms has the hilarious equal opportunities policies, and that lovely werewolf. Oh how blissfully I sighed when she finally made it to Carrot's bed. I like the witches' books too, of course, at my age a powerful old crone feels like just one of the other MILFs doing the dirty on the Board of Governors for us all ;). The fabulous Greebo is always worth a quiet letch ... pauses with dreamy look in eye while swirling glass of (iceless) Highland Parks.

Well, if it has to be one, then Men At Arms.

And the fishing? Or can you not bear to make up stories about the one that got away?

Oooh, I don't know if I can pick one. I love Guards! Guards! for the exquisite unpicking of royalism vs. benign(ish) dictatorship. Then Men at Arms has the hilarious equal opportunities policies, and that lovely werewolf. Oh how blissfully I sighed when she finally made it to Carrot's bed. I like the witches' books too, of course, at my age a powerful old crone feels like just one of the other MILFs doing the dirty on the Board of Governors for us all ;). The fabulous Greebo is always worth a quiet letch ... pauses with dreamy look in eye while swirling glass of (iceless) Highland Parks.

Well, if it has to be one, then Men At Arms.

And the fishing? Or can you not bear to make up stories about the one that got away?

My favourite tipple. :)

Good evening, Naked People. :rose:

My favorite Pratchett book? Impossible! I have some I like less than others but to try and pick one fav is nutz. I will say that any story where Vetinari is doing his best spider-in-the-web routine is worth multiple readings.

It comes very highly commended, mate.
A dash of soda water also enhances the experience. DO NOT USE ICE!
This became a running joke during the play. We had an actual Scotsman pouring Scotch for himself and our lead actress. The script calls for water, but he'd adlib, "None for me," every night.

Personally I prefer the Islays, particularly Lagavulin. However, if you like your whisky not quite so medicinal, then Highland Parks is highly to be recommended.
Ah, the mister favors Lagavulin as well.

My favorite Pratchett book? Impossible! I have some I like less than others but to try and pick one fav is nutz. I will say that any story where Vetinari is doing his best spider-in-the-web routine is worth multiple readings.
It was recommended that I start with "The Colour of Magic." Thoughts?

If you start with Color of Magic and read the stories in the order written, you get introduced to the various characters in turn and you get to watch Pratchett develop as an author. To be perfectly blunt, even tho COM was a best-seller in the UK when first published it doesn't hold a candle to his later work. This isn't to say it's not good. It is. But the ones that follow are better. I like some better than others and there are some characters that you only see once. But those novels that form series, like the one's centered around Unseen University and The Watch are very good literature. And they're not always funny! Sometimes Pratchett comments on the human condition in dark and somber tones. They're great.

I see your point, Bear, but there are flashes in the earlier books which are almost slick enough to be unseen in the later ones. "In shoo er ance" ? pure magic.

I particularly liked his descriptions of Rincewind: "If it was raining kisses, he's have an umbrella" or "He was a good linguist: He could shout for help in 19 languages and just shout in another 20"
[or whatever the values are].

But the one book I'd take with my to my Desert Island would be Men at Arms. It's 'complete' and has a beginning, middle and an end. Going Postal is also brilliant, one you get past the gloomy first chapter.

The Death books are good, too. I liked Mort.

OMG, Death of Rats! SQUEAK! :D

I was hoping for a cup of coffee but I seem to be on my own here, and will have to make it for myself. This is just like being in my own kitchen.

Gah! I love Terry Pratchett! Now I'm trying to think of my favorites and it's impossible. Every time I think I'm funny, I read his books and realize I'm not.at.all.

Going Postal is one of my very favorites.

People ask me if it's better to read them in "chronological order" or within the groupings, Death, The Withes, The Guard, etc. And I change my mind every time.

And I do recommend to start with The Color Of Magic, just to get kind of an introduction, but I don't think it's the best one.

My favorite character, I have to say, is The Luggage.

Oh! And it pains me to say this, but one of my least favorite is the one he wrote with Neil Gaiman, who is another of my favorite authors. Maybe their styles were just competing with each other? What was it called? Good Omens? Bad Omens? One of the two.

Gah! I love Terry Pratchett! Now I'm trying to think of my favorites and it's impossible. Every time I think I'm funny, I read his books and realize I'm not.at.all.

Going Postal is one of my very favorites.

Oh! And it pains me to say this, but one of my least favorite is the one he wrote with Neil Gaiman, who is another of my favorite authors. Maybe their styles were just competing with each other? What was it called? Good Omens? Bad Omens? One of the two.

Good Omens.
I reckon it's brilliant. I loved the motor cycle run.

77F outside this day and the yard's irrigation system is finally complete and operating. Now I guess I'll go spread some compost on the beds, lay out the bean frames and wait for the nurseries to start stocking paste tomatoes. That will probably be in about two weeks, right along time to plant beans. I'm putting one smaller bed of haricot vert and then sticking in Tiger beans any place that isn't already accounted for. We've become very fond of Tiger beans.

Morning you say?
Morning ?
Sweet gods, man, it's past sunset. :)

Have a drink and settle in !

Haha, yeah, maybe in jolly old England.

Rolf, warm up some sake please. About to head out and get some sushi making stuff and try my hand at it.

Quick, a Lagavulin!

Long day teaching with the kind micro managing assistance of moronic line manager and I'm feeling :devil:. At least I had the consolation of Homer's Iliad on the train journey into the dark scenery of the Black Country.

Pass that sushi this way too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back