The Birth of Horny Town U.S.A.

Delta Lambda Phi

On researching further, i find that there is an attempt to create a lesbain sorority-- Alpha Chi Upsilon. But I can't tell if it's in business or not.
the website seems to be defunct :(

Women are so much more accepting of lesbians than men are of gay men. Women tend to bond as women first, for the most part, sexuality is secondary. And they don't often kill another woman for being bent.

Delta Lambda Phi, a fraternity started by gay men for all men. It prides itself on its membership of gay, bisexual and 'progressive' (whatever that means) men. I suppose someone who was cynical, conservative but fair-minded would also be welcome?

So Amicus is out?:rolleyes:

Delta Lambda Phi

On researching further, i find that there is an attempt to create a lesbain sorority-- Alpha Chi Upsilon. But I can't tell if it's in business or not.
the website seems to be defunct :(

Given that they only had eleven members a the time of the interview, I'm not surprised.

Delta Lambda PhiWomen are so much more accepting of lesbians than men are of gay men. Women tend to bond as women first, for the most part, sexuality is secondary. And they don't often kill another woman for being bent.

Possibly dorm life has gotten so free and open that a sorority isn't so needed? Just a thought . . .

So Amicus is out?:rolleyes:
Self-involved, fear-driven, loathsome bigot threatens a gay fraternity if they don't take him in. So they do. And then they take him on. He ends up the happiest little boyslut on campus.

Huh, I think Ive read this one actually...
Possibly dorm life has gotten so free and open that a sorority isn't so needed? Just a thought . . .
such an optimist you are, bear :kiss:

Last edited:
Self-involved, fear-driven, loathsome bigot threatens a gay fraternity if they don't take him in. So they do. And then they take him on. He ends up the happiest little boyslut on campus.

Huh, I think Ive read this one actually...such an optimist you are, bear :kiss:

Well, yes, actually. Why do you think nearly all my stories have happy endings? :D

At long last!

The real map has been sent out. Send me a PM with your address if you'd like a copy of your very own.

The perspective is a bit skewed, I know. The program I work with is rather limited. Yes, I know some of the buildings are rather odd. {See if you can spot the Alamo.} I blame the dearth of suitable line drawings available on the intrawebz. I tried to add a few extra buildings and vacant lots to build your own Barbie Dream Houses. The roads are a bit more linear than I would have preferred. Once again, my artistic program has definite limitations. I didn't name the roads, although I do believe there's talk of a Spotted Dick Road as well as a Slippery Dick Lane.

Feel free to gather up a bunch of Sharpies and a bucket of Wite-out and make any changes you feel necessary. However, I may not be able to help because my program crashed as I was closing up shop and I may not have saved the necessary rough drafts in time.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

ETA: If anyone cannot open the png file, I have converted it to a jpg file. Please let me know and I'll send you the other one.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

Last edited:
I hadn't realized Futter Finishing school was across the river, from the Military School? Hmmm

Thanks glynndah. :rose:

What's this Phi Beta Kappa nonsense, please ?.
What's a sorority ?

From the earliest days of American universities, off campus 'houses' provided bed, board and social contacts to students. The men's groups are called 'fraternities' and the women's, 'sororities'. Generally, they are named by two or three greek letters. Why? I haven't a clue. A generation or so ago many of them were really elitist, allowing 'certain people' in. So, 'other people' started organizing their own. Now it is alleged that all of them are egalitarian and open to any qualified applicants. And if you believe that, I have some coastline in Arizona for sale.

Where I went to college, they were forbidden.

From the earliest days of American universities, off campus 'houses' provided bed, board and social contacts to students. The men's groups are called 'fraternities' and the women's, 'sororities'. Generally, they are named by two or three greek letters.

Given the histories of Fannie's and Horner's as a finishing school for young ladies and military academy respectively -- i.e. boarding schools with at least some degree of regimentation -- I would expect any "Greek Houses" to be fairly recent and definitely post-merger.

Given the histories of Fannie's and Horner's as a finishing school for young ladies and military academy respectively -- i.e. boarding schools with at least some degree of regimentation -- I would expect any "Greek Houses" to be fairly recent and definitely post-merger.

Absolutely. They might even be 'non-recognized' by the administration leaving them even more up to 'youthful hi-jinx' than the usual.

Fraternal Greetings, Comrades, from the 'folks across the river.

I wonder if I have a different map (I doubt it, to judge by the work put in by the Good Witch herself). What makes my wonder is that Miss Futter's School is opposite the Choicest Pearls or Book Nook.
I don't see any trace of a Military School except the Academy one behind the diner.

Incidentally, does the USA have "roundabouts" on their roads from time to time ? I get the impression that Horner Springs could use a few.

Meanwhile, Mr White's place is open for business.

Fraternal Greetings, Comrades, from the 'folks across the river.

I wonder if I have a different map (I doubt it, to judge by the work put in by the Good Witch herself). What makes my wonder is that Miss Futter's School is opposite the Choicest Pearls or Book Nook.
I don't see any trace of a Military School except the Academy one behind the diner.

Incidentally, does the USA have "roundabouts" on their roads from time to time ? I get the impression that Horner Springs could use a few.

Meanwhile, Mr White's place is open for business.

Hey HP. Glad the business is open as Lin is visiting you in my first story! I will look over the map and check with Glynndah.

Yes we do have roundabouts - traffic circles.

Have a good one!

Hey HP. Glad the business is open as Lin is visiting you in my first story! I will look over the map and check with Glynndah.

Yes we do have roundabouts - traffic circles.

Have a good one!

I need a Drawing package. . .

The Academy is what was originally the Military School. Of Course now, it is just the North Campus of Futter U. What used to be Miss Fannie's is now the West Campus of Futter U. There are no East or South campuses that I know of.

The US does have Traffic Circles even out here in the rustic western states. :p Far more common though are "Four Way Stop" intersections where there is a stop sign on each (and all) converging roads at an intersection. Traffic circles are a relatively "new" traffic control measure in the US although there have always been a very few around. They've recently -- in the last ten years or so -- become very popular for some cities while remaining a "quaint foreign notion" (as in something those fruity furriners in that State over yonder thought up to confuse real 'muricans.)

Stop signs are cheaper than rebuilding streets that don't have enough right-of way to accomodate a decent roundabout in the first place.

The Academy is what was originally the Military School. Of Course now, it is just the North Campus of Futter U. What used to be Miss Fannie's is now the West Campus of Futter U. There are no East or South campuses that I know of.

The US does have Traffic Circles even out here in the rustic western states. :p Far more common though are "Four Way Stop" intersections where there is a stop sign on each (and all) converging roads at an intersection. Traffic circles are a relatively "new" traffic control measure in the US although there have always been a very few around. They've recently -- in the last ten years or so -- become very popular for some cities while remaining a "quaint foreign notion" (as in something those fruity furriners in that State over yonder thought up to confuse real 'muricans.)

Stop signs are cheaper than rebuilding streets that don't have enough right-of way to accomodate a decent roundabout in the first place.

Completely off topic, but my input- they seem to be spending a lot of the "stimulus money" on putting in more and more every day! I now hit at least 3 during my commute to work when I don't take the interstate. Even more if I take alternate routes!

I am excited to start working on the project, now that I am caught up on the threads!

Completely off topic, but my input- they seem to be spending a lot of the "stimulus money" on putting in more and more every day! I now hit at least 3 during my commute to work when I don't take the interstate. Even more if I take alternate routes!

I am excited to start working on the project, now that I am caught up on the threads!

welcome aboard!!

:( I hate roundabouts. :(

That was one town project Kitty couldn't get her way on.. Not even with sex. ;)

Long Beach, CA has one called The Traffic Circle. People were terrified of the damned thing for years and years until someone did an analysis and found that it was the safest intersection in the city. And that's saying something for a place where seven streets converge, one of them down a steep hill. Personally, I like them.

Last edited:
Completely off topic, but my input- they seem to be spending a lot of the "stimulus money" on putting in more and more every day! ...

You're not wrong, but it does seem to be strictly a function of jurisdiction. North Las Vegas has at least five that I ecounter with some frequency, but I've never encountered one in Las Vegas, Henderson or the unincorporated parts of Clark County; there my be some but I haven't encountered them -- yet.

All of those I know of in the US are city street intersections; mostly secondary city streets. In the UK, where Handley is from, (and most of Europe) 'Roundabouts' are the preferred intersection control in the countryside as well as grand statements for major thoroughfare intersections in the cities. IIRC, most populations centers large enough to be called cities have at least one roundabout big enough for a city park or monument in the middle of it.

When I was in Europe, I liked them. People knew how to drive in them. Here, they start in the inner lane and crossover to exit without looking. They forget to check for other vehicles! It is like making a right turn from a left turn lane! :eek:

I live near a small community actually about the size of Horner Springs and several years ago we got our first two traffic circles.

One was fine. But the other was near a tight intersection with the buildings around it so it was very small. The first time an ambulance had to go through it, it actually got stuck and wedged in tight, causing huge expense to lift it out sideways. It was realized that a fire truck, or any kind of large truck, would not be able to get through it at all.

Worse still an idiot councilmember argued for keeping it in place to see if it was a fluke that the ambulance got stuck and to wait and see if another one would get stuck first.

Fortunately, we have since lost both the traffic circle and the council member by the next election.

I live near a small community actually about the size of Horner Springs and several years ago we got our first two traffic circles.

One was fine. But the other was near a tight intersection with the buildings around it so it was very small. The first time an ambulance had to go through it, it actually got stuck and wedged in tight, causing huge expense to lift it out sideways. It was realized that a fire truck, or any kind of large truck, would not be able to get through it at all.

Worse still an idiot councilmember argued for keeping it in place to see if it was a fluke that the ambulance got stuck and to wait and see if another one would get stuck first.

Fortunately, we have since lost both the traffic circle and the council member by the next election.
The three nearest me are barely wider than the five lane street (four travel, one turn) they presume to control traffic on. Whent he first one went in, within six months, it averaged an accident a week, including my granddaughter's school bus one day. The school bus accident was caused by the circle being too small for the bus to navigate without jumping the center island's curbing of crossing into the inner lane. The school busses have been rerouted away from the little traffic circles and the curbing on the center islands has been modified to keep vehicles that go over them from losing control.

In the five years or so since then, people have gotten used to the traffic circles on that particular street and the accident rate has gone way down.

ETA: I think Horner Springs probably is one of those places that recognise that stop signs are cheaper than roadwork and doesn't have a roundabout/traffic circle unless someone wants to write the problems the first one will inevitably cause into a story.

Last edited:
How cute; we have Traffic Engineers to do all the measuring and calculations to see what size and even "if" a roundabout will work at a particular location.

Oh well, I can see some fun with one here.

Back