Songs/pieces of music that bring tears to your eyes/take your breath away, etc.

Does anyone remember VH1 Storytellers?

Round Here by the Counting Crows is one of my favorite songs and this is the best performance of it I've ever heard.
 
Back before Christmas albums, acting, and American Idol judging, Harry Connick Jr. made some incredible music. Even if you are not a fan of Jazz or Big Band music, this guy's music crooning in the background could help any fella work the bases with a gal. Maybe even hit a home run or two.

He is a great talent, known not only for his great work on the piano, but for the touch of New Orleans he brings to his music, and writing and arranging some really good songs. Whether his own song, or a re-working of a standard, he has a way of making it his own. Spin through the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack, or We Are In Love. My kids enjoy and sing along with 25. All are fine, fine albums.

None though, in my humble opinion, are as fine as Blue Light, Red Light. Great songs, masterfully produced, this record will have you tapping your feet and clapping, crying and reaching for the tissue box, and then clapping and smiling again. All within the hour or so length of the album.

Over the holidays I was reminded of the power of music, the ability of a song to move and change you. A close friend of mine and I were sitting on the couch, having a drink and watching our kids play together. He has had a tough year, watching an illness slowly eat away his beautiful wife, and had just celebrated what will surely be her last Christmas. We were just chatting, about sports, perhaps business or the weather. Nothing special.

Jill came up on the shuffle rotation and instantly, with those first, few opening piano notes, my friend stopped talking. He sat back, sinking into the cushions, and looked at the ceiling. He quietly wept, and told me this song was a big part of their relationship when they'd started dating, back before marriage, kids, and cancer. When their love was fresh and exciting, and full of promise.

His wife, with the exception of a few hours a day when she can muster the energy and strength, spends most her time now in bed, resting. He spends a good part of his night, sitting beside her, holding her hand, and sharing the day's stories. They cry some, he tells me, but mostly they smile and laugh, and remember. They have music playing, and Jill is one of the songs they have in rotation. He holds her hands, and sings it softly to her, their own little love song from a simpler time that now helps get them through a very arduous time.


He and I sat in silence and listened to the song through. When it was done he got up, and I stood and hugged him for a minute or two. A back clap or two later, he went to freshen our drinks and I checked in on the kids.

Listen to this song without distraction. Let the thrum of the upright bass take you by the hand, follow the path the piano leads you on, and let the horns move through you. This is truly a love song, and you'll find the brass arrangement sexy as chocolate, as subtle as a soft kiss.
 
Mr. Emerson. . . my oh my. . .

All of You by John Legend

The way things should be. Why do I hang out with so many couples again? lol
 
.


Heard this one in an Armani commercial:

"Brave Heart" - by Jean Philippe Rio-Py.
Really liked it.



"The Snow Prelude no. 15" - This one's by Ludovico Einaudi. Lovely piece of music.


Also, it seems like no-one's mentioned "Unchained Melody" as yet, which I find very surprising. I think it's one of the most beautiful love songs every written. And there are so many cover versions, every performer brings something new to it. My favourite versions are probably the one by The Fleetwoods and the one by Andy Williams. Yes, I get it, some folks consider the song to be too "maudlin". But I like it. The lyrics are simple - and that's perhaps why it's so beautiful.


.
 
.



"I Tell Myself" - Peter Bradley Adams

I don't think I had even heard of Peter Bradley Adams until someone here on Literotica suggested his music.




.
 
Back
Top